Server time (UTC): 2020-10-29, 02:57
Sign in to follow this  
Elmo

RE: Flaming Appeal - 5 Points

Link to the source of punishment (report/post): 

Spoiler

43d09ffcb67026bf8867049ce7f058c2.png

Why the verdict is not fair: The verdict is fair at first glance, however, with the evidence I will be presenting of my friendship with Mademoiselle, as well as her ambivalence towards the comment, I will hopefully rectify any misgivings that the staff team have about the situation. 

Additional statements/comments explaining your point of view: Looking at the rules cited in the warning given by Hebi, as well as the content below the rules, it is evident that the staff team is either not aware of my sense of humour or indeed my friendly relationship with Mademoiselle. Both are equally understandable, though with the amount of staff that I know and am on good terms with I find it difficult to believe that somebody didn't mention it, but I digress, that is unimportant. Below I will be linking evidence of Mademoiselle and I discussing my most recent warning and her thoughts on the matter:

Spoiler

561c79c94fcedbb61588d7c99246cf87.png

f64f685225bbc1b46b9a16689caf82eb.png

As seen above, Mademoiselle has absolutely no problems with my comment and has acknowledged that it was just a meme between friends. This is where I'd like to cite the following rule in support of my argument:

• 1.1 We demand all of our members to be polite, behave maturely and with respect towards one another at all times.

Looking at it purely from a rules perspective, the fact that Mademoiselle and I have a friendly relationship should be taken into account, simply due to the fact that, when amongst friends that you can banter with, politeness and conventional respect tend to go out the window in favour of mature jokes, memes, fun etc. This is not to say that I am rude or disrespectful to my friends, there is simply a mature understanding between people that, sometimes, saying something that could be construed as offensive if said to a random stranger, to a friend, can be funny. We are a community built on the values of friendship, maturity and our mutual enjoyment of roleplay; the fact that both she and I feel entirely comfortable bantering with each other is an indication that we are both acting maturely, as opposed to the staff team which seemingly decided to take offence for her and point me accordingly.

I'd ask anybody who is reading this appeal now, which style of behaviour do you think indicates maturity: someone who can take a joke with a friend in their stride or: seeing inflammatory behaviour in every post that may contain content that could be interpreted as flaming, regardless of context? Personally, I think if you are going to demand maturity from members of your gaming community, you should also grant them the freedoms that should come with recreational communities, such as the ability to determine how you have fun, being able to meme appropriately with friends without the fear of repercussions, etc. 

Moving on to the second rule that was cited in the warning, it will be cited below again for ease of access:

• 1.2 You are not allowed to insult, bully, harass, troll or provoke other DayZRP members. This goes for all kinds of communication mediums, not just messages sent through DayZRP services.

Assuming you have done your job and read through the evidence I have provided, and I have no reason to assume otherwise, you will see that I have not broken this rule at all. The fact that both Mademoiselle and I have acknowledged that we both knew I was memeing at the time completely nullifies this rule, as it is clear that it was not aimed to be insulting, bullying, harassing, trolling or maliciously provocative. It is obvious to me that the staff team could have misconstrued this as inflammatory behaviour but, with the additional context given, as well as rule based arguments, I am hoping that my side of the argument is now understood. 

What would you like to achieve with this appeal: Besides the obvious, I'd like to remind both the staff team and the community that, at the end of the day, this is a gaming community. Jokes, fun, banter and laughs will be had, but, with any community, there also comes the necessity to enforce decent behaviour when certain bad apples act out. This I completely understand, as a former staff member, but it is equally necessary not to alienate the rest of your community with rules and procedures that hinder their ability to have fun with their friends on the forums, in TeamSpeak, in game or across any other medium associated with DayZRP. 

What could you have done better?: Added a smiley face I guess? Also I'd like to excuse the awful grammar in my chat with Mademoiselle, I seem to have developed autism of the fingers.

Edited by Elmo

Friendship has no effect on the rules Elmo. Friendship can not be used as an excuse or leverage to break rules. There's no such thing as "nullifying a rule" because you two agree it's not harmful, there's other concerned parties, like myself.

We're not concerned whether Mademoiselle is offended by your comment or not. We're also not going to be interrogating community about their friendships in the community and keep track of who is friends with whom and how they get a free ticket to break some rules because of that. I'm sure you can have jokes, fun, banter and laughs without calling each other names on public forums.

All rules apply to everyone in the same way and whether you are friends with someone does not affect enforcement of said rules. You also seem to be mistaken that we issue points solely because someone is offended by a comment, while in reality it's more about the content itself which is of nature I don't want to see on my website.

So, TLDR is, if you want to call each other names, banter or share dank memes with your friends, do it in private, outside of DayZRP. Since you're friends you probably have more than one channel if communication. Keep it away from public view and the official website where it will be taken as flaming, regardless of your personal relationship.

Points will therefore stay.