Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 04:17
Sign in to follow this  
Flashy

Oh hey dude

Recommended Posts

Whats up with RP nowadays being so stale...

Everytime I get on it's the same fuckin' thing. 

> Run into populated area

> See someone

> They walk straight up to me, " Oh hey there! " :D

> I reply, " uuuh, hi? "

> We have typical filler conversation like... where are the people, you sound american, oh shucks this weather, nice clothes, I'm looking for x clothes. 

> As this is happening a fire place materializes between us.

> man sits

> emotes pulling out cigarette ( because good rper )

> So how'd you get to chernarus? 

> readscharacterbackstoryverbatim.txt

> you?

> readscharacterbackstoryverbatim(2).txt

> Nice.

> Nice.

This is why hostile RP has always been my typical brand of RP, because it's so much more interesting, it's the fuckin' apocalypse. You aren't going to run around and act like everybody's friendly neighbor. You're going to be apprehensive to even approach people, scared of certain groups, and areas. Not just running up and tippin the cap to any old fuckin' stranger. But I digress. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

i had the same problem. i just started making a community farm thing. gives you something to talk about and do. to each their own, though

ask yourself, if you could create any kind of RP situation right here and now, what would it be? then go do it.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Whitename said:

ask yourself, if you could create any kind of RP situation right here and now, what would it be? then go do it.

Most of my ideas require people on my side to execute well, and people who can actually pvp. 

However most of these people I have have in mind are on thin ice like myself, on a server that looks down upon pvp/hostile RP.

So they're sick and tired of being hated on for trying to enjoy their particular brand of roleplay, and don't play anymore. Which tbh, I'm getting pretty close to doing the same.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Flashy said:

Most of my ideas require people on my side to execute well, and people who can actually pvp. 

However most of these people I have have in mind are on thin ice like myself, on a server that looks down upon pvp/hostile RP.

So they're sick and tired of being hated on for trying to enjoy their particular brand of roleplay, and don't play anymore. Which tbh, I'm getting pretty close to doing the same.

im sorry you feel that way but i disagree. i dont think any of the new rules shit on hostile, they just change the way it works. whether or not the changes are good or bad is up to you, but i dont think the server shat on hostile at all. also "particular brand of roleplay" can mean anything. of course there are specific RP styles that the server frowns upon that are mentioned in the rules, but hostile isnt one of them. i think a lot of people just read 5 words and throw a hissy fit. too reactionary if you ask me

if your RP is stale, make better RP. if your RP requires the other person to be a good RP'er, then find good RP'ers or change your RP

Share this post


Link to post

This is not how I,or the people I RP with, RP. 

For example; 

(Spoiler for TL;DR)

Spoiler

 

The other day Aristo and I agree to meet Oisin and Spartan in a town. Since Spartan and I's characters have background and are great friends who miss each other since my char. was kidnapped/escorted away/ect. 

We meet up and catch up, and decide to meet back with others of our old group where they are staying. Why? Because we needed to clarify what happened to cause the group to split . We take a long trip, during this time Aristo is able to detail to Oisin and Harvs what had happened to his character and my character. This gives the others something to react to and to build off of as well as act different toward my char. and his. While Spartan and I roll around having fun shooting things with arrows furthering our friendship and building IC memories.

We get to town, meet the others. We all catch up. Then Aristo gets in a verbal argument with Jaxon and Beth over the fact Beth promised to keep my char. safe which she (of not fault of her own) was unable to. Aristo played a antagonist in this situation causing tensions to rise, and bubble over. This gave everyone around something to react to. My character panicked, Spartans Char. comforted, others interjected and discussed and argued. 

It was tense because of our relations, and the fragility of them falling apart over things that people cannot control. 

Not once did we; ask about the weather, discuss backgrounds, talk about looking for clothes or ever set up a campfire.

 

The best part is, this all happened BECAUSE of Anarchy! They helped to make this possible. From their actions, more RP was created.

 

-

We treat each newcomer with apprehension and are skeptical of who they MAY be associated with. Why? Because we have had experiences ICly to cause our characters to act that way. People should aim to build around others, RP isn't just a single person show. There are times when things in RP are focused around the group. Plenty of times I have run into a person and been skeptical or avoidant and even just said, "Yeah bye buddy." and left if they were acting to sketchy or way too casual. 

I will say the RP that was hostile that I, personally, got from Anarchy was great and those guys aren't even in my immediate 'friend group'. I enjoyed all the time I spent in RP (even the silly moments but we didn't take those ICly). I reacted, in a way I thought my character did. Now, if my char. sees anyone from that group I have something to react to. I can be fearful, vengeful, scared, maybe even happy? Who knows. Each option furthers RP! I know a bunch of those dudes also love RP, and like playing the so called "bad guys" even if they're not all the way bad on the inside in character. The moments I had with Mr.Panda's character were great, the times he played 'weak' in front of his men helped to build a relationship between his char. and mine (and also his men I would assume!). Even Austin, Dimitri and Luke. Those guys stand out in my mind because they interacted and RP'd well. I had never before RP'd with those guys (Save for Mr. Panda on Oliver). 

I feel a lot of the time hotspots or hubs bring in new comers and sometimes the new guys don't get the flow of RP, or the standards. They flounder a little and cause the same interactions. All you can do is try and guide them in RP, if they get it great! If they don't, then maybe they should go through the mentor program. 

Share this post


Link to post

your the writer of your own story.

good rp works on both ends. you get what you offer.

if you like hostile rp. no one is stopping you from good hostile rp. you just can't do it randomly anymore. which makes sense. you have to think for your character not for your own personel entertainment. you have to create entertainment based of your character. which forces you to be a better rp'er. thats goes for both "camp fire" RP and "hostile" rp. 

my suggestion is: work around your own rp style with the new rules. everyone else is. a wise man once said. progress can not happen without change.

Share this post


Link to post

 Some Crappy rpers ruined hostile rp . Just like some crappy campfire rpers ruined the current meta of friendly rp.

But it's much harder to ban folks for avoiding rp when they run away and you get no names.. or never find them in the first place cuz they waaaay out there. So you attack what you can control: the crappy rpers with logs ex; hostile rpers.

Sadly, it was a blanket move and not a targeted strike.

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly? Its kinda realistic, not amazing RP but when you meet someone in real life it's always a bit awkward and small talk is your friend. When you see someone new, you dont know them and literally have nothing to talk about unless something happens around them.

Once you get to know them better you will have more things to RP, experiences, common interests etc etc...

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Para said:

-snip-

Just wanted to say that I completely agree and you have earned my beanz.

Edited by barto300

Share this post


Link to post

To me, it's just part of the whole "suspension of disbelief." Sure, I could make a character who throws himself into a bush, carefully spending the next hour outside Lop or where ever, watching every single person from a distance, 'cause that's probably what I'd do if I were to be realistic (if I had the balls to do even that), but it's just no fun at all. That said, the insta-campfire and sharing your personal story is on the tedious side of RP.

And just to add, I think Para is pretty much spot on here, though to expand on what he says by adding my own opinion, the hostile RP is pretty often absolute shit. It's baity, it's teenage kids screaming into their mics, it's dull for one side, and it's entirely uninspiring. Knowing that the opposing side is topped off with PvP bois only makes it worse, because it means that OOC knowledge will always affect the game, in the sense that great hostile RP factions will always back down because of the OOC knowledge that they'll get shat on until the PvP bois find a new group to wave their sticks at without providing a level of RP that actually pushes anything on the server. Mind you, this is not to say that every PvP boi is a terrible role player, but in my opinion it's extremely few of them who are actually any good. Again, in my opinion.

Also, no one is against hostile RP. They're against (R)PvP, I'm pretty sure.

Share this post


Link to post

I get exactly what you mean my boi.

I've found that acting strange and or creepy when you first meet someone tends to be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post

I completely agree with Flashy on what he stated because that's how things go for me as well. Now, I've read all the philosophy up there that you guys wrote, but there is this itsy bitsy thing. This server's desired role play and realism CAN NOT COEXIST. You guys try to put in some stuff that will happen in reality, if there was such an apocalypse and what is common sense that other people would do and how would they act in this scenario etc. I mean, yes you wouldn't just skip through towns like you know where you are going or that you are completely safe. You should feel fear from the undead, approach each street with caution. Not like:

*two guys pass from one town to another*

Person 1: Oh here comes another one.

Person 2: Fuck these zombies man. I hoped us just sprinting head on from Severo to Novaya would be like a walk in the park.

Person 1: I know man, let me just pull out my Splitting axe that's been on my shoulder for the next two months and hit this screaming, rabid, apparently dead human with blood coming out off of multiple sides. Not scary at all, just need a few hits.

Person 1: Ah fuck, I let it hit me and I started bleeding, hold on let me pull out my rags, it's probably just a small cut. *no signs of pain from a cut wound, caused by a cold, half-decomposed corpse sprinting towards him with pus coming out from his eyes and dried blood all over him*

Person 2: Just take off your shirt, that probably got loads of the undead's blood from your brawl with it and cut it in rags. If it's Pristine or Worn, no worries although there is infected blood on it. Bandage yourself and it will heal in 3 sec, no fucking worries mate. Now let's keep sprinting like we ain't afraid that other zombies are about or that there might be other not-so-friendly humans stalking us and better-armed than us, trying to cut our fingers and torture us for fun.

This is how 80% of players act. I meet random people and most of them are just role playing like there is a defensive barrier around them, that zombies are as much of a threat as a mosquito trying to bite you and you just crush it. Like who the fuck I am, what I am I doing here. Why the fuck would the random player be afraid, he knows I can't initiate on him for no reason so he just comes up openly, even though I might have a group of armed thugs nearby ready to swam him and fucking kidnap him, torture him, cut his shit off. He comes up openly and says:

Person: Hey! Hello there!

Me: What the fu-? Who are you?

Person: My name is Brandon! Nice to meet you!

Me: Are you fucking kidding me? Nice to meet me? Look around you dude we are in a fucking zombie apocalypse! *I try to back off of him but he wants to get closed awkwardly so he can pulse-check me and check dayzrp for who am I OOC*

Person: Yeah I know, some zombies chased me. *pressed the W key and takes a weird half-step forward trying to just get in range so he can pulse me and backs off fast when he has the info*

Me: What the hell are you doing man, get the fuck back! 

Person: Why are you so rude, I'm just trying to be friendly here man.

Me: I don't even know you. Just fuck off. As far as I know you might be some psychopath trying to kidnap me...

Person: Well I'm not, I can prove it to you because I sit at a campfire with other dudes all day and I just come out of time so I can pick up some items or food that I need otherwise I will die eventually of hunger and thirst. I will get back to my camp now, you can come join us.

Me: Are you out of your mind? Piss off. *I run away*

This is a prime example of how many of my encounters go. 

I would also like to say many people have known each other in this community and they tend to RP between each other only. They rarely stray off and RP with someone else for more than 5 minutes or let someone else RP with them because they have already found satisfying RP between each other, they've become familiar with each other. This is very dull and unwelcoming towards new players or inexperienced ones.

I've never met any members of the:

VDC.
Valentinos. 
The Damned. (Only met @MeenMuginLovin once, for 2 min)
Prapor Vlkodlak

I also frequently visit the Radio, but I've never met any people who frequently use it. The character Faith Capella, who was frequently on radio before. I've never met this character. There are many other popular characters which are known all around, but I've never met them. And I'm not a guy who sits around in one place, I roam the map. 

I got into a situation once where I was role playing and sneaked around houses, like any normal person would in a zombie apocalypse. Then some other guy sprints to me with a weapon in hand and says to me

Person: "What the hell man why are you sneaking around, are you trying to steal something?"

Me: No you f*cking dum***s moron! I'm acting like I'm in a zombie apocalypse and tread carefully in a unknown town to me!

Zombies were walking around him randomly and he wasn't slightly afraid that one of them could attack him. It's like he was in Disneyland.

Moreover, many people don't know the natural slang terms of the culture they try to role play. What I mean by this is, an American, attempting to role play as a Russian, misuses or completely has not put any research in how a Russian talks. Same goes for how other cultures act, how slavs and Balkan Nations talk and act, how USA people act, how Japanese or Koreans act and talk. It varies greatly and people make horrific mistakes. Ever gotten into a game match with a voice chat and Russians are in your team? Hear how they talk, what terms they use frequently, how they sound. The way Pavel talks in the game Metro 2033 Last Light. Now that's how a Russian-speaking-English guy would sound. I also use many german slang terms when I play my Hans Kleinenberg character and imitate the german accent and English-german pronouncing of English words as well. When I try to lie of who I am I put an eastern European accent, which is my real accent when I try to speak English. I am from Bulgaria. Little people however do research about the culture of the character they want to role play as. 

TL:DR People give out the role play they know, with little care if it's satisfying towards the receiving side. Second thing: People act their character, knowledge about the lore, but they still remember that they are sitting in a chair, in a warm place with no zombie apocalypse around and unknowingly act the same way in-game. 

Edited by Shazzzam

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Para said:

-snip-

This right here, think you hit the nail on the head mate ^_^

Share this post


Link to post

So many things wrong with this post. It's a 2 way street and you both have to deliver good and sufficient roleplay. I have met people who just do the barebones and I've met the worst who just give a backstory and that's it. If you have an issue with that, give feedback. But that is unlike what you are saying, most of my interactions are interesting, emotionally investing events that develop my character and makes me understand them. I've just started playing my next character named Casey Hall and while I was warning up next to a fire, I met a guy named Bui and they ended up having a discussion about sociology and ideology. They said that they will keep communication up in the future. 

That was an interesting development and a good conversation that I had I  something that I would consider campfire RP. These kind of posts made to do nothing but bash styles of RP do nothing but regress the development of RP and the community as a whole. 

When it comes to creepy RP, it can be brutally executed because people try far too hard and it just gives a bad taste in my mouth. Then there are people who are creepy for no reason and no story is built. There are also some great hostile roleplayers that I've met and one of the best cases is @LouieRP giving very interesting campfire RP and hostile RP at the same time. 

Tl;dr, stop bashing on roleplay styles in this passive aggressive format. If you have a bad experience, give feedback. Also, always keep in mind, it might not be the other person, it might be yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Shazzzam said:


I also frequently visit the Radio, but I've never met any people who frequently use it. The character Faith Capella, who was frequently on radio before. I've never met this character. There are many other popular characters which are known all around, but I've never met them. And I'm not a guy who sits around in one place, I roam the map.

Well, I've never met you before and I roam around a lot. It kinda makes you think that maybe all of the roleplayers tend to roam around a lot and just miss each other. I've met most of the people you mentioned and have had extremely positive relations with them. 

When I met @Mademoiselle playing Faith, she was having an emotional breakdown and I roleplayed with her for around 2 hours and giving her character emotional advice and it was a massive character development.

I've met @MeenMuginLovin as well as a lot of The Damned and had one of the most critical character developing discussions that I've had with Ulman which built The Coalition. They were emotionally supportive and stopped Ulman from committing suicide. 

I've also met the VDC like @Cosmo, @Alex Tayno and @Taryn with a very interesting interaction with them just discussing simple things. Especially with Cosmo, him and Ulman were having a nice talk about Russia and whatnot. 

I have also met the Valentinos and had great medical roleplay with @RogueSolace

If you are having such a hard time meeting them, you could just simply... you know... message them? You never know what you can do if you never ask.

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Shazzzam said:

Snip snap cut the crap. 

 

VDC is always roaming the map. We have met TONS of people. @Mark does his best to make connections everywhere we go. Not for lack of trying, but sometimes we have a hard time finding people too. We aren't hiding. You could always message us and ask where is the best and most current place to find us. Currently, its Cherno if anyone is wondering...

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Shazzzam said:

I've never met any members of the:

Thats how it feels, but there's a lot more people than you think. There's a max of 60 people on at a time, and that's just at one time, all these people might have multiple characters. Then, taking into account that some people arent online at the same time as you. With all of these factors combined into one, you're just one person and you might have to contact them to meet them. I've never met Anarchy myself but I've heard of all the people that HAVE. So when I finally do meet Anarchy, it's going to a be hell of a time. (Hopefully)

Share this post


Link to post

 

I've met a lot most of the anarchy, socialists one VDC member not sure who all the valentines including Eddie  some black roses  res publica and the railroad never met the damned or fides but I do believe it depends on the time  people get IG because some players and group are not on until late  like 12 am 1 am UK time  plus I have run round tthe map and there has been 50 to 60 players on went thought small town big towns were I believe poeple maybe and not found anyone or u may bump into one person it just the way it is or you stay in one hot stop all the time  and never leave with the same poeple and get bored yes frist RP with some one you have never met IG can be a bit werd arkward but like someone said earlier thats what its like IRL for some people 

 

Edited by Reaper

Share this post


Link to post

In my personal experiences, people are no longer really afraid of- anything.
 

Like. back in the times of Severograd, we had 8-9 of our SSZAF walking into the town, fully decked and looking damn spiffy. Yet noone even really blinked an eye. They see these 9 commies with AK's, and the way they were RP'ing didn't change at all. It was just people hanging about the pub, chilling, watching us roll in.

 

And when I did hang out at the pub, the same shit happened when Anarchy came to town. People just chilling, acting as if there aren't 8 scary ass men hanging around the area.

 

Yeah maybe one or two ran, but the majority just didn't show any care.

 

As for another example, when me and whomever it was in Anarchy were having a screaming match in the middle of lopatino about the 'girl in the shed', all the civilians just watched as bystanders, only those in the groups actually voiced any opinion.

 

It was pretty clear that shit was gunna hit the fan and that it was going to be a pretty gnarly back in forth, people were just sitting against the wall next to their campfires emoting *watches men argue*. Yet when the initiation does inevitably happen, everyone just mosies on up, puts their hands up, and chills.

 

I feel like people should really have a 'oh shit we should probably get outta town' a bit more- but leaving those 'rp hot zones' is just taboo to most of the people in it. Instead of leaving the town when shit goes sour, they just come onto the forums and bitch and moan about getting initiated on 'for no reason'.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, LemonLime said:

In my personal experiences, people are no longer really afraid of- anything.

Not true. Me and mine have fled towns because of certain people. Our mission is to research the virus, not to get into shit with others. That being said, my character generally doesnt kill infected. She has a security force to do that for her. Most of the time, i run from them IC. i think your statement is too blanket. You're generalizing and its wrong imho. 

Share this post


Link to post

I think people don't flee from towns as often or get involved with other situations is because of the rules. I believe if people reacted in a way that was rule friendly as well as RP friendly, a situation like this wouldn't happen. For example.

The Black Roses come into town because they find out a contract is in town somewhere. Upon finding and confirming the target, they initiate. Other people in the town see this and either A: Say "What the hell are you doing? Leave him alone!" or B: Say "Fuck this I'm out." and leave town.

I want to be clear and say that I'm not saying that we should just ditch the server rules for RP but I am saying that people should try to react to situations like their character would. For example, Sergei sees someone getting robbed. If he knows the person he would move in and chase the person off. If he didn't know the person, he would avoid contact or if he was already seen, he would say, "Don't look at me, I don't know this fucker." and then leave the area. I wouldn't just stare at them from a distance, I would leave town or make contact. 

 

I.E: React to situations as if your character doesn't know the rules. (But follow the rules of course :D)

Share this post


Link to post

Let's also be real here, in regards to the infected. Our characters have (generally speaking) been killing these things for months now. It's not like wacking down a few should be a huge deal to them anymore. Sure, if a handful decends on you, you should probably be unsettled, but that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Dakotaen said:

Let's also be real here, in regards to the infected. Our characters have (generally speaking) been killing these things for months now. It's not like wacking down a few should be a huge deal to them anymore. Sure, if a handful decends on you, you should probably be unsettled, but that's about it.

Beta will introduce more difficult infected . So we will be worried about them ooc and ic soon ( I hope) lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Saints said:

Beta will introduce more difficult infected . So we will be worried about them ooc and ic soon ( I hope) lol

 

Thank fuck for that.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...