Server time (UTC): 2020-10-28, 23:16
Sign in to follow this  
Flashy

Tone

So apparently the WAY you say stuff matters now lads. New rules and all that.

So you can go up to someone and if you say it nice enough it's not an initiation.

"Hey man I think you should put your hands up"

Not because you're robbing him of course but because he just got done running and is winded, and you're just trying to help him catch his breath. 

Hopefully this doesn't cause any confusion for anyone in the future and, I mean worse case scenario, possibly get someone permanently removed. Imagine how sad that would be :/

Try it out next time you're playing on DayzRP. <3 

Some sound advice here ! I will pay close attention to the sound of peoples voices.. certain tones I think we should be made aware of are.. happy.. CRYING ..whiney and sometimes whiney happy crying folks.. damn its a minefield ! 

wise-people-good-advice.png

Edited by Methias

Tone of voice changes meaning of whatever is being said. This is not a DayzRP thing, but a life thing. Take sarcasm for example, it's based entirely on tone of voice. 

Hope this information finds you well and assists you in life. 

Flashy,

Tone in verbal communications has always had a precedent on how others may react. Saying something with a certain tone or inflection can change the meaning of the sentence. 

Sarcasm, is a classic case of this. I could say, "Horses are such LAME creatures." But if I say it sarcastically my meaning is changed, even if the words haven't changed. Right? 

If someone is saying something with obvious concern, it shouldn't be coming across as aggressive. This is human nature, we all look for these tone clues in conversations we have day to day. If your friend says to you, "I want to die." They could be joking, or they could really want to off themselves. The tone is what makes the message. 

English is a complex and detailed language, we need tone, word choice, inflection, intent and timing to sometimes get a message across. This can be lost in text, which is where Emoji's and Emoticon are born from. To convey Tone. :D

The tone has always been present and has been directly implied in the rules for at least 2 years. The rules clearly state:

6.4 Demands during hostile situations must be reasonable and made clear and unambiguous to all players

Before the same rule used the wording, clear hostile intent. The same basically is implied now, acting like tone has never mattered is simply stupid because it has meant the difference between a valid or invalid initiation before, there was a report when someone said "Chat shit get capped" and intended that yo be an initiation when there was no hostile intent and said in a memey matter, the one in the previous report was a warning. So yes, you may get a ban strike for an invalid initiation, which may put you over your final warning and get you permad, but the implication of this has always been there, suggesting that it hasn't is frankly wrong.

57 minutes ago, Flashy said:

So apparently the WAY you say stuff matters now lads. New rules and all that.

So you can go up to someone and if you say it nice enough it's not an initiation.

"Hey man I think you should put your hands up"

Not because you're robbing him of course but because he just got done running and is winded, and you're just trying to help him catch his breath. 

Hopefully this doesn't cause any confusion for anyone in the future and, I mean worse case scenario, possibly get someone permanently removed. Imagine how sad that would be :/

Try it out next time you're playing on DayzRP. <3 

You're doing gods work friend, just remember to speak softly when imitating <3 

(Calm tone) Young sir, you have a trained sniper looking at you from afar. gets shot banned.
But yeah anyone on 29 points that ends up getting those final points will end up banned, was that the reason he got permed no the reason was him getting those 29 and stepping over the line simple.

Edit:
I used to do those sort of initiations and the man doing them was ready to get shot would it have been invalid no, would there have been a fight sure but nothing that would honestly end up in a report.

Edited by Eagle

What if i'm a text RPer and i tell you to "Put your hands up or your dead cunt" but i mean it sarcastically? Some people have shitty mics which make tone hard to make out. Some people talk like mono tone robots all the time. So to say "TONE MATTERS WITH INITIATIONS " is bullshit. If i tell you to "place your hands on your head or you will be shot" it doesn't matter if i did it with a Micky mouse voice you better listen.

I mean I've initiated by walking up and whispering in a guys ear

"Hey bud how you doing? Would you mind placing your gun on the ground and hands on your head really quick? No? What if i told you that if you don't you will be shot?

And he got the message! for peat sake the clowns used to make people pick up a fruit pretending it was phone then tell them to put their hands up... Why right now does tone start to matter in dayzrp for when you initiate? Some people scream others just ask you to do it really calm as long as i tell you to do something or you will be harmed you can shoot me all day and i wouldn't report it. Maybe watch what you say to someone and you wont be shot in the face?!?!?!

4 minutes ago, Mr.Panda said:

What if i'm a text RPer and i tell you to "Put your hands up or your dead cunt" but i mean it sarcastically? Some people have shitty mics which make tone hard to make out. Some people talk like mono tone robots all the time. So to say "TONE MATTERS WITH INITIATIONS " is bullshit. If i tell you to "place your hands on your head or you will be shot" it doesn't matter if i did it with a Micky mouse voice you better listen.

"Hey bud how you doing? Would you mind placing your gun on the ground and hands on your head really quick? No? What if i told you that if you don't you will be shot?

And he got the message! for peat sake the clowns used to make people pick up a fruit pretending it was phone then tell them to put their hands up... Why right now does tone start to matter in dayzrp for when you initiate? Some people scream others just ask you to do it really calm as long as i tell you to do something or you will be harmed you can shoot me all day and i wouldn't report it. Maybe watch what you say to someone and you wont be shot in the face?!?!?!

I would honestly cap you :)for those words and it shouldn't be invalid. 
Whisper initiations are fun but most people powergame the fk out of them and you end up getting the whole town on your ass.

Take this scene for an example what would you do to her group and her?

Edited by Eagle

10 minutes ago, Mr.Panda said:

Seems like they're looking for any reason to ban people these days

Just now, Shane Is Dead said:

Seems like they're looking for any reason to ban people these days

People who aren't on the right side of the lain.

17 minutes ago, Mr.Panda said:

Easy: *He says in a sarcastic and jokey tone.* "Put your hands up or your dead cunt"

Anything along those lines will work. Make your tone apparent through an emote.

It is always down to the person how they take whats been said to them I have had multiple times in my past running's were it really did not make any different how nice or how aggressive I was they always would've reacted the same way.

I mean the thing is... why take action straight up, take a second to clearify if the person means it or not. If your mentality is to straight up to get into a fight, mistakes happen. Always doublecheck to be safe if possible or deal with repercussions.

Although it is sad to see community member go for this, he was in good enough of a situation to double check it, before friend of his or he acted, but as sad as it is, mistake was made. I will not get into it right now too much...

Not sure if it is allowed to talk about it :/

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

It is always down to the person how they take whats been said to them I have had multiple times in my past running's were it really did not make any different how nice or how aggressive I was they always would've reacted the same way.

Well ... true but think about it like this.  Let's bring this into the real world, seeing as everyone who plays on the server is a real person IRL , playing a video game. If someone says some shit to you IRL  and , you shoot them ( You're going to get in trouble ) But in DayZRP If someone says words that resemble and initiation it gives you those rights. So now you can see why people are compelled to 9/10 use their rights.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Panda said:

- Snip.- 

Panda! TextRpers can indicate if something is Sarcasm. Like so, "*He would laugh and roll his eyes.* "You should totally eat some dog poop right now, otherwise I might shoot you!" <-- This indicates the threat is NOT SERIOUS. If the person said, "Eat dog poop or I'll shoot you." Without any tone or indication it is a joke, they may have to face the consequences of their actions. 

TextRPers actually have a advantage, they can use the words like SARCASTICALLY when emoting. *He would sarcastically say.* "You're a idiot and I'm gonna shoot your head." 

I believe people should attempt to Role Play when using emotes. They help spice up the RP and add flavor to a character. Things we cannot see or observe with the current game can be conveyed in Text. 

The clowns also had timing, and intent and added history! Some freaky clown people roll up on you, you have heard of them hurting people before, and you're scared. You're tense, they're TOO lax TOO casual and you're on edge. You're on edge because you know they have the upper hand/have your surrounded/have your cornered/have a history of being freaky. <-- This situation indicates a hostile air, or intent. 

They can say things in a quiet whisper, in a nice general tone and it would be still be a hostile threat. You don't want to try your luck so you comply. See? It's not dry and cut. You have to gauge each situation as it arises. You can't just say "If someone asks nicely, they aren't initiating and there for they cannot shoot me for noncompliance." Each situation is different. The meaning is behind the words, and it is brought forth with Tone, Intent, Timing, and the progression of how the RP situation is going. 

Tone has always been a thing in RP, in general, since the dawn of RP.

8 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Easy: *He says in a sarcastic and jokey tone.* "Put your hands up or your dead cunt"

Anything along those lines will work. Make your tone apparent through an emote.

If you walked up to me and said that with a gun in your hands out of no where i would probs shoot youin the face because i value my life. What if you are some crazy person that thinks hurting people is a sick joke IC?

@Brayces So if i have a sniper in the woods pointing a gun at you its not a hostile atmosphere? 

@Shanoby That one second where you double check could get you shot in the face for no compliance... Sure you could report for No time to comply but i prefer to handle it in the moment

@Jango If someone in real life had a gun in his hands and told me "Don't move or i'm gonna shoot you and your friends "in a alley i wouldn't hesitate to use my 2nd amendment Merica rights to defend myself and my freinds

2 minutes ago, Mr.Panda said:

@Brayces So if i have a sniper in the woods pointing a gun at you its not a hostile atmosphere? 

@Shanoby That one second where you double check could get you shot in the face for no compliance... Sure you could report for No time to comply but i prefer to handle it in the moment

@Jango If someone in real life had a gun in his hands and told me "Don't move or i'm gonna shoot you and your friends "in a alley i wouldn't hesitate to use my 2nd amendment Merica rights to defend myself and my freinds

well constructed facts there lad good job

18 minutes ago, Mr.Panda said:

If you walked up to me and said that with a gun in your hands out of no where i would probs shoot youin the face because i value my life. What if you are some crazy person that thinks hurting people is a sick joke IC?

If you do that you are an idiot and need to learn how to make jokes without putting your life at risk.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Panda said:

-snip-

Then comply or take defencive actions like backing into cover to double check...

It sounds like the only option for you seem to be just to straight up shoot while standing out in the open? There are different ways it can go depending on location and situation... but like I said, if you rush with decision making you will make mistakes and have to deal with it.

Edited by Shanoby

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

Well ... true but think about it like this.  Let's bring this into the real world, seeing as everyone who plays on the server is a real person IRL , playing a video game. If someone says some shit to you IRL  and , you shoot them ( You're going to get in trouble ) But in DayZRP If someone says words that resemble and initiation it gives you those rights. So now you can see why people are compelled to 9/10 use their rights.

Hey do not get me wrong I am on your side here matey and have always said things need to change but what needs to be understood is its very very hard for the staff team to write the rules that keep a community of this size happy it has and will be always down to the mentality of the player and unfortunately there will always be those type of players that instead of having a good hostile RP session they will choose to shoot and retain there ego/loot and for that reason no amount of rules or wording will ever prevent these players from doing that. There is a huge difference between Hostility's and PVP/ Initiations but a lot of people do not see the difference nor do they understand and that will never change regardless of the rules bro. Ever since I joined this community this has been a topic of debate and even with the recent changes it still will not change. That is no ones fault as stated above .

5 minutes ago, Mr.Panda said:

If you say, "Yeah my boy is out there with eyes on you right now, through his scope." Then yes, that adds a hostile air to the situation. But if you say simply, "Oh there's a sniper out there! Wait! Please be careful! Stop!" That indicates a communal warning, this person is not trying to get you killed and is not being hostile to you, they are offering you warning information.

You should ask, "What sniper? Who? Where? Why? Are they with you?" Etc. To find out if this sniper is with the person who is warning you, and if the person who is warning you intends to initiate on you. 

The man could of been shot at prior from afar, could be hiding in the same area as you to keep safe, etc from the same threat he is warning you about. You would have to RP to find out. 

27 minutes ago, Jango said:

We used to do this shit 24/7 :D 

Just now, Eagle said:

We used to do this shit 24/7 :D 

Exactly, now all of  a sudden it's this big thing... :D