Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 21:32
Sign in to follow this  
Whitename

[GUIDE] For when DayZ freezes your computer

Hello all! I have this great issue with my motherboard where, if I restart my PC, the Internet won't connect for anywhere between 15 minutes to 2 hours. So, of course, I never reboot it. But DayZ makes it hard to not need to, especially when I alt-tab. So here are issues that I personally have experienced and how I've resolved them. They may not be universal, but they might work for you.

1. bad_module_info has stopped working

This is, for the most part, unfixable, and is present in more games than just DayZ. However, there are some things I've tried that have reduced the frequency of it happening

Solution 1 - Playing on Windowed mode

bad_module_info has to do with the way the Win10 Creators update displays and attempts to optimise fullscreen applications. The simplest way to avoid fullscreen applications is, of course, to have it not be fullscreen. This has worked for me in the past and has lowered the number of bad modules I've gotten. But, windowed mode sucks, sooooo....

Solution 2 - Full-Screen Optimisations

Windows 10 automatically employs fullscreen optimisations, which in essence is running your game in a borderless windowed mode. This sounds like a good idea! But, yknow, nope

To disable it, go to your steam folder. It's commonly located on C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ. You will want to open BOTH DayZ.exe and DayZ_x64.exe, depending on your computer (if you still have a 32-bit PC it's time to upgrade). Right click, open properties, and select 'Disable Fullscreen Optimisations

Untitled.png.6a625ce2a8d3a7183264b8ba92631ce5.png

If you're still getting constant bad modules, re-enable fullscreen optimisations, which sometimes helps. Other than that, we gotta live with 'em

2. Tabbing out of DayZ sometimes removes it from the taskbar

Sometimes when tabbing out of the game, I can't tab back in because DayZ has marked itself as a background process, and it has to be ended before you can re-launch it.

Solution: Before you would like to tab out of DayZ, press shift-tab to open the Steam overlay and then tab. When I do this, I never have this problem. THIS ALSO SOLVES THE "HOLDING DOWN LEFT CLICK AND RAPID-FIRING YOUR GUN INTO THE DUDE IN FRONT OF YOU" ISSUE

3. Trying to exit out of the game freezes my PC

Sometimes when exiting DayZ, my PC freezes. Sometimes it blackscreens, sometimes it just sits frozen, sometimes I can hear Dean Hall's disembodied voice laughing at me, telling me to go fuck myself. No sweat, I've got a fix! Eiter one of these solutions have worked for me 100% of the time.

Solution 1 - Alt-tab-exit.  Press alt, then hold tab while presing. Right next to the DayZ window is a cute little X, just ready to be violated by your mouse. Spam that

Untitled.png.af804762fc88b118ed29508b92744c72.png Poof! DayZ goes away. Now, check your task manager. If DayZ still exists, spam end task.

If the above fails, Solution 2 - Cancelling signout. Sometimes the above fails, so I press ctrl-alt-del, and click on sign out. It starts to close out tasks, but programmes like Steam and TS3 take their sweet time before closing, so quickly hit "cancel". You'll have to relaunch TS3, but it's better than signing out / rebooting.

good luck fellow dealing-with-dayz-bullshit people

@Refacture 

f your having trouble closing the DayZ app when trying to alt tab after freezing you might want to give Super Alt F4 a try. It's a program that I've been using for over a year and it essentially bypasses your computer and all restrictions to forcefully close any program that is at the front of your screen. Just be careful since this program is powerful and if you were to use it whilst nothing was opened it would force kill your desktop (no joke it has happened to me b4).

Here is a link to the program's site, I recommend giving it a look since I've found it to be very useful in closing out of frozen programs. Also, it is incredibly satisfying to kill a program that stops working with the press of a few buttons... trust me on this.

https://stefansundin.github.io/superf4/ 

Edited by Whitename

This will help few people I'm sure 

"What is ERP - Question - Dayzrp " .... Kill me.

1 hour ago, WesternRP said:

This will help few people I'm sure 

thanks dad

Thanks for the guide, like Western said above^^ it will def. help some people out for sure =) .

thanks for that, in addition, sometimes, if you have windows 10, you can windows key+tab and create a second desktop, and then kill the dayz program from there. It might not always work, but for me it seems to.

This was very helpful, thank you for making this.

yes

If your having trouble closing the DayZ app when trying to alt tab after freezing you might want to give Super Alt F4 a try. It's a program that I've been using for over a year and it essentially bypasses your computer and all restrictions to forcefully close any program that is at the front of your screen. Just be careful since this program is powerful and if you were to use it whilst nothing was opened it would force kill your desktop (no joke it has happened to me b4).

Here is a link to the program's site, I recommend giving it a look since I've found it to be very useful in closing out of frozen programs. Also, it is incredibly satisfying to kill a program that stops working with the press of a few buttons... trust me on this.

https://stefansundin.github.io/superf4/

Edited by Refacture

@Refacture thanks dad, added

@Whitename Just looking out for you son

tumblr_inline_nuuw4pEk5T1qk4pfp_500.gif

Very Helpful..