Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2019-11-14, 22:51
Deer Isle Purge
TODAY | 2019-11-15 00:01:00 (server time) | Starts in 1 hour, 9 minutes | Deer Isle Server | PvP
Sign in to follow this  
The Traveler

The Stamina Bar and how it will effect DayZ SA + DayZRP

Recommended Posts

Note: I am going to highlight implications and predictions in yellow to make it easier for those who want a tl;dr with none of the spicy maths ;)
I've mentioned it in a few posts already , but I wanted to do a slightly indepth analysis on the subject / get other people's opinions. 

As we all know, Stamina is going to be a thing in .63 / BETA... and looks to be a feature that is gonna stay. I want to look at the impact of this on our community / DayZSA at large. 

So the Stamina bar in basic is more of a "sprint meter" than a bar showing the stamina of the player (the stat which determines the sway of the gun after running). Once the meter is empty, you cannot sprint any more. This means that running at a consistent sprint speed is now impossible. 

DayZSA implications

To understand the implications, one only needs to look at the player's speed Running and Jogging. 

Not taking into account slight fluctuations due to health / out of breath atm (such is this new stamina system) ... average running speed is roughly 23.15Km/hour where as jogging is roughly 14.7km/hour. 

So let's look at an example. 

To get from Elektro to Berezino along the coast

dayzrp.png.bb70ee66606ee9814639a9891e1bbe39.png

At running speed (which is what most players do) it would take roughly:
9/23.15 hours = 0.3 hours = roughly 20 minutes.

However, due to the new system, there would only be a minute or 2 of running, which one would probably want to save till a combat encounter. So it would be better for one to jog.

So let's do the calculation again:
To get from Elektro to Berenzino would be:
9/14.7 = 0.6 hours ~ 35 minutes.  So we are essentially increasing the time of all trips by 75% the time. 

Now due to the game having a loot system that is dependant on travel (I.E: Going places other players have not explored as that is where new loot will spawn once taken) it stands to reason it would take 75% longer (give or take) to get geared up in the main game after fresh spawning. 

This i good in one respect as it means travel between towns and cities need to be more thought out due to food running out / water running out between towns. However this also increases difficulty as the way food and water works does not compliment looking through a fresh spawn town looking for said food and water before moving out (see loot system above). 

Will this increase difficulty curve in a fun way? 
Will this cause players to die more easily?
Will this cause boredom to set in due to longer times to loot up? 
Will this make thinking out travel routes more important? 
Discuss in the comments! 

DayZRP implications: 

With DayZRP the problem becomes slightly more complex. 
Since the great rubber band bug with veichles a year or so ago, "Hot spots" and triangles (A phenomenon always present in DayZRP in some shape or form) have become much more prevalent and long term. This was due to the increase in travel time between places being much more prevalent for groups of people ( for example: a 5 minute Sedan or V3S ride would take 30 odd minutes walking as a group), hence people tended to huddle towards one spot on the map. Remember the traffic between the UN and CDF camp when the UN moved to berenzino...? 

Yes Cherno, Berezino, Servo, Tortuga and now Lopatino have all become the hot spots for players, with it being an uncommon thing to interact with people on anything but the road from fresh spawn to the nearest hot spot. 

Now, with the travel time about be increased by roughly 75% I predict one of the following.

Once .63 hits: 
Pessimistic view: 
-Lopatino / any hotspots in the north west will slowly become less interesting the MOMENT a hot spot is set up closer to the shore / respawns
-Due to the loot system (see above) the north west will be somewhere to gear, and not to stay due to players not exploring it too often / looting things from the shore. 
-The hot spots will find themselves over packed even more than now due to the lack of motivation for people to travel / explore

Optimistic view: 
-Due to the required extra thought when it comes to travel, small , 1-2 man out posts will be created across the map to act like "road houses" for travelers traveling between places. 
-These places would be decently packed with maybe small player groups wishing a rest and some roleplay (they've been traveling 30 odd minutes and are only halfway to "insert hotspot here" , might aswell rest right?) 
-Due to a bigger emphasis on short cuts and ways to make good time between points A and B, bandit groups will be able to finally set up road blocks on popular routes. Opening up smaller scale, but in turn fresh, hostile RP opportunities, giving hostileRpers something to do other than "go to place with all the players, hostile RP, rinse... repeat". 
-Due to this more hostile RP groups, and perhaps even traveling law groups would be given motivation. 
-Due to lack of travel speed, getting supplies is much harder, hence trade routes could be set up between areas to ensure a decent flow of supplies (E.G: An area with more medical buildings trading with a settlement in an area with more military loot etc etc) 



Personally I want to believe with all my heart the optimistic view will happen, but I suppose that is up to the community and which frame of mind they are all in. Would people be willing to put effort into a roadhouse and travelling ideology? Or would the idea of travelling across the map bore you so much that we all huddle like penguins in the south / shoreline? 

So what do you guys think? Any opinions on the matter yourselves? 
Comment bellow ^_^

 

Forgot to put loot video in EDIT: 

Edited by The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post

We'll see a lot more robberies for vehicles and fewer people running away from roleplay. Might also start seeing coastal hotspots because fuck running inland if that's the time it takes. Food and water won't really be an issue unless they fix the apple tree glitch, it'll only piss me off more when I have to spend more time running to meet my friends. That's about the sum of it really.

Share this post


Link to post

Tbh , i play a character that only jogs and walks (run when necessary) to get used to this new implication .  

And to be 100% honest , it's actually fun for RP. Took me like forever to get to Sevograd , but it felt worth it when i got there . Like a survivor in an actual apocalypse ; the travel will be hard to get to a safe zone , but that's immersive imo. 

Imagine this scenario , you and a group of survivors heard about a safe zone in Sinastok and your at the coast. It will take you day and night to get there , but you will get more interaction and roleplay from the time up there and could often get cool experiences for you adventure. 

Vehicles (apparently) are going to be fixed as the current engine is shit for dayz , and according to the new one vehicles perform much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Elmo said:

We'll see a lot more robberies for vehicles and fewer people running away from roleplay. Might also start seeing coastal hotspots because fuck running inland if that's the time it takes. Food and water won't really be an issue unless they fix the apple tree glitch, it'll only piss me off more when I have to spend more time running to meet my friends. That's about the sum of it really.

So you think rather than trade routes and road houses between settlements it will just be a clusterfuck of shoreline hotspots? Interesting. And robberies for vehicles? Maybe... but as long as the rubber band glitch exists I know I aint touching a vehicle unless it's 2am in the morning and there are 3 people online haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Elmo said:

We'll see a lot more robberies for vehicles and fewer people running away from roleplay. Might also start seeing coastal hotspots because fuck running inland if that's the time it takes. Food and water won't really be an issue unless they fix the apple tree glitch, it'll only piss me off more when I have to spend more time running to meet my friends. That's about the sum of it really.

It seems like to piss you off that all they have to do is fix the apple tree bug and allow people to spawn anywhere on the map, not just the coast. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Saints said:

Tbh , i play a character that only jogs and walks (run when necessary) to get used to this new implication .  

And to be 100% honest , it's actually fun for RP. Took me like forever to get to Sevograd , but it felt worth it when i got there . Like a survivor in an actual apocalypse ; the travel will be hard to get to a safe zone , but that's immersive imo. 

Imagine this scenario , you and a group of survivors heard about a safe zone in Sinastok and your at the coast. It will take you day and night to get there , but you will get more interaction and roleplay from the time up there and could often get cool experiences for you adventure. 

Vehicles (apparently) are going to be fixed as the current engine is shit for dayz , and according to the new one vehicles perform much better. 

I agree, but it's the argument of how every one else will feel (emo being a good example with his comment) . 


Also Devs have confirmed that veichles are not fixed in .63 and are not a "priority" :(

 

3 minutes ago, Hebi Kotei said:

It seems like to piss you off that all they have to do is fix the apple tree bug and allow people to spawn anywhere on the map, not just the coast. :D 

Even if spawns were to be put all over the map. Settlements have a chance of not being all over the map (See my pessimistic view / emo's opinion on travelling). If they do cluster as emo and my pessimistic view suggests, noone will travel :(

Personally I hope for the optimistic view though that me, saints and you seem to have :)

Edited by The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, The Traveler said:

So you think rather than trade routes and road houses between settlements it will just be a clusterfuck of shoreline hotspots? Interesting.

Not what I said tbh, I said we might see an increase in coastal hotspots. Nothing to do with trade routes or road houses my man.

3 minutes ago, Hebi Kotei said:

It seems like to piss you off that all they have to do is fix the apple tree bug and allow people to spawn anywhere on the map, not just the coast. :D 

Yeah I'm a shitstain, deal with it ^_^ 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Elmo said:

Not what I said tbh, I said we might see an increase in coastal hotspots. Nothing to do with trade routes or road houses my man.

 

Well if we see all the hot spots at the coast, no point in trade routes / travelling right? Just figured it was an implication my dude :)

Edited by The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, The Traveler said:

Well if we see all the hot spots at the coast, no point in trade routes / travelling right? Just figured it was an implication my dude :)

Might have trade routes between coastal settlements, not necessarily an implication. If they fix vehicles you might see trade routes opening up inland but I believe people are inherently lazy and will go to the nearest source of roleplay, especially if travel time means you'll have less chances to meet people, why gamble with your time when you could go to a hotspot?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Elmo said:

Might have trade routes between coastal settlements, not necessarily an implication. If they fix vehicles you might see trade routes opening up inland but I believe people are inherently lazy and will go to the nearest source of roleplay, especially if travel time means you'll have less chances to meet people, why gamble with your time when you could go to a hotspot?

See this is why I have the pessimistic prediction as well as the optimistic one. 

And aye we might see trade routes. But due to the loot economy system, any hot spot will have an inherant lack of loot, and their main sources for loot will be the same due to them all being on the coast (i.e: Slightly inland from their hot spot location) so perhaps trade routes would be a bit defunct?

But hey, whilst you are probably right with the laziness thing, i'd like to hope this might encourage people to make a bigger emphasis on travel (funny considering my name, but go figure). 

I mean unless people go north to places like NWAF and tissy? How are people gonna get their l33t military loot. So perhaps at least 1 road house esque settlement would be worth it? ^_^ Though one would have to be careful to have said settlement be unique to one on the coast (or vice versa) to stop the risk of one settlement taking all the players from the other one! :o

Share this post


Link to post

honestly i dont expect much to change. yes, a 75% increase is a whole lot, but there's people here who spend upwards of 5-6 hours on the server in a given session, some much more than that. thats a lot of playtime, and more than enough to go from a spawnpoint to a high-end military area for some sweet, sweet GearRP and setting up homes nearby those places because "well, nobody else is gonna try to jog up here"

 

as far as hotspots go, there will definitely be some new ones closer to shore. i project a pub in Cherno, Anarchy moves their Lopatino installation to Solnichy, and Donovan's Gym in Berezino gets more customers

Edited by Whitename

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Whitename said:

honestly i dont expect much to change. yes, a 75% increase is a whole lot, but there's people here who spend upwards of 5-6 hours on the server in a given session, some much more than that. thats a lot of playtime, and more than enough to go from a spawnpoint to a high-end military area for some sweet, sweet GearRP and setting up homes nearby those places because "well, nobody else is gonna try to jog up here"

 

as far as hotspots go, there will definitely be some new ones closer to shore. i project a pub in Cherno, Anarchy moves their Lopatino installation to Solnichy, and Donovan's Gym in Berezino gets more customers

Pretty much what I think would pessimistically happen. I do believe one final piece of change , which is the most significant, is that hotspots would be even more crowded due to people's lack of motivation to travel. :(

Share this post


Link to post

I expect a rash of suicides from bad RPers ?

Share this post


Link to post

Slowing down an already slow as fuck game is a god awful idea. Maybe if vehicles were reliable and more common it would even out, but thats not the case now and isn't going to change with this patch. I see one of two things happening. People either stay near the coast because they can't be asked going elsewhere. Or people will grind out the run up north and avoid any danger so they don't have to run back up ever again, which we already have now its just gonna be a lot worse.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Saints said:

Tbh , i play a character that only jogs and walks (run when necessary) to get used to this new implication .  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

If this actually turns it into official Eastern Europe Walking, Apple Picking, Humanoid Killing Simulator 2666 on speed super-slow I might actually commit seppuku once I finally reach my destination.

Share this post


Link to post

Not going to lie, this is actually a really good thing im excited for. This means multiple things, it means that the likelyhood of everyone being extremely spread out is small, cars have a lot more value and running to a place actually is something you need to think about now. Its not like: ''Hey lets run 15 Km while eating 5 apples along the way'' So fuck yeah DayZ devs!

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, FieJaxon said:

Not going to lie, this is actually a really good thing im excited for. This means multiple things, it means that the likelyhood of everyone being extremely spread out is small, cars have a lot more value and running to a place actually is something you need to think about now. Its not like: ''Hey lets run 15 Km while eating 5 apples along the way'' So fuck yeah DayZ devs!

Hence my more optimisitc view... however... as many have pointed out, the chances of most players being lazy fucks who don't wanna travel is high, reducing incentive to travel in the first place (what's the point of walking an hour or so if noone is gonna be at the destination :( ) .

But personally I hope you and I are right and people won't be lazy shits :)

Share this post


Link to post

To much of a wall of text for my taste. Even with the yellow. I'm not assed what the DEV'S do, they're lazy fuckers anyway. 

Edited by Beni

Share this post


Link to post

I'm indifferent. I see pros and cons. It will be a hassle for me as user initially as some things will get harder but it might just make some of the (new) struggles more meaningful.

 

I'll not worry about it too much and just see how it goes. I look forward to some of the base building that may accompany these additional difficulties and maybe allow for "supply stations" along the way or so.

Share this post


Link to post

Well I don't run around a whole lot anyhow, so I'm chill.

It'll make travel more of a journey than a chore now too. Which will be good for on-the-road RP.

So eh... IDK.

Share this post


Link to post

I think it will be fun and with the ridiculous size of the map and the tiny player count making that map seem ever more gigantic this system will like many others have already pointed out group people closer together. And I am all for more constant RP and less scenario's where you hopped on at 2pm and it's now 9pm and you still haven't seen a single survivor even though the server is full.

Edited by Refacture

Share this post


Link to post

Don't know if anyone agrees, but I defiantly see more people helping others out, rather than just hiding up North offering little to no roleplay for the fresh spawns, or any other people that stay down South like myself.

I am really hoping that the Optimistic idea that you have posted, will come about.

Share this post


Link to post

I've had several discussions about this with other people.

But as someone who normally travels light, (Without a backpack), unless I'm carrying medical supplies. This is good. I can generally get places that other people can faster and more efficiently. However, as implied by some devs, vehicles will be taken out for the beginning of the patch and added in later on. This I see as a huge issue for a few reasons.

1. Unrealistic as shit.
2. Essentially makes carrying larger backpacks not viable.
3. Slows down the already MOLASSES slow gameplay.
4. Limits rendezvous and role-play opportunities.

I would prefer that they went ahead and postponed implementation until they perfect the cars in-game.

But that's just me.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...