Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2020-10-29, 11:11
Sign in to follow this  
HenningRP

Community Summit

Recommended Posts

As not to derail @Nihoolious's thread here I've opened this thread to discuss the idea of hosting a Community Summit. The Community Summit is an idea of stealing from an old Arma 3 Milsim community I was once apart of. it consists of several members of the community who have been nominated by their peers meeting with Staff to discuss the issues currently facing the community. The Summit would be open to the public for all those interested in listening in to join, however only those community members who have been nominated and staff will have talking privileges. I'd like to use this thread to plead my case to you, the community on why this is a much needed alternative to the continues circle jerking we've seen in the past.

Why a community summit?

This community has major issues. Lack of quality Roleplay, Lack of staff transparency and a dozen other things that need to be solved if we want to see this community alive by summer. No matter where your opinion falls on these issues, there is one thing we can all agree on; Continuing to complain in threads isn't solving anything. We need to sit down like adults and address these issues, together as a community. However, this community and is varying opinions has grown to large for ever single person to voicing their opinion on a subject. There are just to many voices and we'd be trapping ourselves in a loop backtracking so each person can voice their personal opinion on an issue. However our division as a community is actually a blessing in disguise!

We all know this community runs on cliques and friend groups. Instead of putting every single person in this community into a channel would be chaos, I say we have each of our communities cliques and friend groups nominate one of their members to be the voice of their group. Everyone can listen, but the number of people fighting for the podium would be drastically cut down to a point where we can actual host a productive discussion. A discussion where people can ask Staff point blank the questions that they want answered and where staff can explain their reasoning behind their decisions. We can give and get real time feedback without all the BeanZ and snarky remarks.

How it would work

Format: 1-2 hours of open discussion where Staff/Nominated Community members may discuss any issue they feel is appropriate, Speakers (Staff AND Community Members) will have 5 minutes or until they cede the floor to state their question or comment directly at another party (Example: @Rolle what is your stance on pineapple on pizza?) the other party will then have 5 minutes or until they cede the floor to respond/answer the question or comment. This will continue until all question or concerns have been raised or the meeting hits the 2 hour mark.

Speakers: Each official group in the community will be allowed two speaker positions at the summit.

 

I'm open to discuss this with everyone, I feel that this might be a productive way to solve our issues and I'm happy to get the community and staffs input. 

Edited by Henning

Share this post


Link to post

This could definitely help community members get their feelings and concerns across in a calm, ordered manner. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, JimRP said:

I'd love to see something like this. Although the number of nominations required should be higher.

Pretty much this, I would also like to see this happen but like stated the number of nominations needs to be higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Generic Name

Honestly I'm all for it, but I have a great apprehension about the way of handling the "clique" aspect. Who's to say who's in a clique or not? What's preventing a bigger clique splitting into smaller cliques to have multiple representatives and push forth their agenda? This way of doing things could end up completely misrepresenting the community and only representing the view of the few popular cliques. I'm fairly certain this is just gonna end up being another popularity contest, but the unlike screenshot contests, this actually has very important and probably lasting consequences. I think this should be handled in a different way, if I can come up with one, I'll post again.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, SomeWeirdAssGuy said:

Honestly I'm all for it, but I have a great apprehension about the way of handling the "clique" aspect. Who's to say who's in a clique or not? What's preventing a bigger clique splitting into smaller cliques to have multiple representatives and push forth their agenda? This way of doing things could end up completely misrepresenting the community and only representing the view of the few popular cliques. I'm fairly certain this is just gonna end up being another popularity contest, but the unlike screenshot contests, this actually has very important and probably lasting consequences. I think this should be handled in a different way, if I can come up with one, I'll post again.

Calm down this isn't Congress.

Share this post


Link to post

My proposal to make this super easy is to not have nominations, but instead all group leaders act as members of the player council. This will work well with official group only change coming soon and all groups will have the voice they need, without us having a 2 hour meeting where a lot of people talk over each other.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Rolle said:

My proposal to make this super easy is to not have nominations, but instead all group leaders act as members of the player council. This will work well with official group only change coming soon and all groups will have the voice they need, without us having a 2 hour meeting where a lot of people talk over each other.

I agree with you that groups would be easier but what about the players who arn’t in groups? This is about the community as a whole and I think everyone should have some form of voice.

I’ve edited the topic to change the nomination number from 4 to TBD. If possible let me know how many people you think is appropriate for a nomination.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, SomeWeirdAssGuy said:

Honestly I'm all for it, but I have a great apprehension about the way of handling the "clique" aspect. Who's to say who's in a clique or not? What's preventing a bigger clique splitting into smaller cliques to have multiple representatives and push forth their agenda? This way of doing things could end up completely misrepresenting the community and only representing the view of the few popular cliques. I'm fairly certain this is just gonna end up being another popularity contest, but the unlike screenshot contests, this actually has very important and probably lasting consequences. I think this should be handled in a different way, if I can come up with one, I'll post again.

Obviously there are some issues with the idea and ideally this won’t turn into a popularity contest. But as childish as this community can be I think we can have higher morals for a few hours and not turn it into that.

 

but maybe I’m just giving this community to much credit.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Henning said:

I agree with you that groups would be easier but what about the players who arn’t in groups? This is about the community as a whole and I think everyone should have some form of voice.

I’ve edited the topic to change the nomination number from 4 to TBD. If possible let me know how many people you think is appropriate for a nomination.

If you believe everyone should have some formal of voice then this will not work. In that case the talking over each other meetings that we do now is what will work.

If people want to run solo, that is fine, but I don't think they should expect their actions to affect the server or voice to be heard on the same level as large official groups will.

I am against voting simply because this will create a popularity contest and those with most friends or alt accounts will get elected. If you have 20 friends you can get 5 into this council and push your agenda.

With groups having to be approved and by definition having a backing of 4 other members, I think that's the better solution. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Rolle said:

If you believe everyone should have some formal of voice then this will not work. In that case the talking over each other meetings that we do now is what will work.

If people want to run solo, that is fine, but I don't think they should expect their actions to affect the server or voice to be heard on the same level as large official groups will.

I am against voting simply because this will create a popularity contest and those with most friends or alt accounts will get elected. If you have 20 friends you can get 5 into this council and push your agenda.

With groups having to be approved and by definition having a backing of 4 other members, I think that's the better solution. 

Alright, I see your point. Could you give us a ETA on this new group system?

 

(also that voting comment wasn’t directed at you, just a stupid reply merger, damn this new website)

 

I’ll be editing the nomination section in the morning as it is 2AM here.

Edited by Henning

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Rolle said:

 

2 people from each group, or allow the leader to delegate one person. I'd say that's easy enough to handle. Sometimes some group leaders aren't confident enough to speak out with a ton of people in the channel, or are afraid of their concerns/ opinions getting them removed completely.

Edited by Mexi

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Henning said:

Could you give us a ETA on this new group system?

The GMs got a draft on the new rules now, we're awaiting their feedback and suggestions. This week?

 

30 minutes ago, Mexi said:

allow the leader to delegate one person

That's fine, in case you can't make it you assign next in command etc. But I don't think group leaders should be "lawyering up" by having someone else speak for them.

Share this post


Link to post

I honestly think this is a great idea and can't wait to see it implemented!

Share this post


Link to post

Nice Idea Henning. We did this once at one of my old work places, did some meeting between worker reps and management. Worked out well enough.

I have a few suggestions on how we could make this work for selecting people. The voting idea isn't bad, but it's the whole popularity contest thing plus it will take at minimum of 1-2 weeks to get that set up.

Easiest way, the suggested 1 group member method, those that run solo maybe staff or those from the groups can select 2 people that aren't in a group.

Another way is staff can help pick people. Before you cry foul, as a staff member, I'm going to be picking people who are going to be able to get their ideas across and argue validly, not just agree with me because that wouldn't solve a damn thing. We could open up a thread where people drop a few sentences about something that they would want to address, staff reads it, picks people based on how they come across with their idea. 

Those are probably the 2 quickest methods. Either way, the suggestion would be those who are not selected people in the community would PM those who are selected things they would want brought forth and discussed. with a panel of like 6-8 people from the community there should hopefully be someone that everyone in the community would feel comfortable bringing their point to.

Share this post


Link to post

I got to sleep to chaos and wake up to this silver lining in the clouds. Holy fuckersnitch on a crabblestich. 

I really like the ideas presented here and I'd love to just sit in and listen because progress. Maybe with this we can see the community actually be a community again.

Share this post


Link to post

This is a neato idea! But I concur with Rolle, a selection of two or one members from each official group should be nominated to speak. This way we get rid of vote riding for nominations or a lack of voice from those who aren't a part of bigger friend circles! 

Once selected, I think we'd need to propose a best time and day for this meeting to take place. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Rolle said:

My proposal to make this super easy is to not have nominations, but instead all group leaders act as members of the player council. This will work well with official group only change coming soon and all groups will have the voice they need, without us having a 2 hour meeting where a lot of people talk over each other.

That is a great idea and can be used as a perk for creating a group. The fact that you have more direct say to the staff running the server +1

In terms of the summit it is an idea i brought up a while ago about having selected members to be apart of a meeting. We used to always have meetings and especially staff Q&As that would help the community progress and become more together.

Rolle lets get them meetings going again and get all the community to speak of their negatives and positives and work to make this place better.

(Just to clarify this isnt sarcasm i am genuinely showing my positivity to the suggestion you have made. Its the right step forward)

Share this post


Link to post

I like this idea! I always say we need to figure it out instead of just complaining. I like the idea of having 2 members from each group represent and have them ask staff questions and what not.

Share this post


Link to post

Henning not posting something salty, what is this madness. In all seriousness though, this is a great idea. I think it'll really help bring the regular community members and staff team together. We could even possibly create threads asking the community then have the reps talk about major points together in the meeting, that way members can still have a voice without the meeting turning cancerous.

Share this post


Link to post

I feel that this would be a great idea under the assumption that things COULD change based on how it goes. However, I’m kinda scared it’ll just be another listening session where nothing actually comes from it because what the community actually wants isn’t really what staff/Rolle want. 

Not trying to be a dick about it, but it is a valid concern. Also, I agree with the original idea way more. The server isn’t just groups, and having them being the only ones represented is ridiculous.

Edited by Squillium

Share this post


Link to post

Yea it's pretty solid if things actually get talked about and everything isn't shut down at every corner, totally could work. I'd definitely attend a meeting like this.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Squillium said:

I feel that this would be a great idea under the assumption that things COULD change based on how it goes. However, I’m kinda scared it’ll just be another listening session where nothing actually comes from it because what the community actually wants isn’t really what staff/Rolle want. 

Not trying to be a dick about it, but it is a valid concern. Also, I agree with the original idea way more. The server isn’t just groups, and having them being the only ones represented is ridiculous.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but just show our view of it too here, but we have similar apprehensions when it comes to stuff like this. Some things get suggested sometimes with no real solution or way to real change it. It's like someone complaining about Rolle being the problem with the community. What's the solution? Take Rolle out? Good luck.

I think as long as the complaints and ideas are reasonable and when possible come with a suggestion on how to correct it (or at least a building block of an idea) it is fair to assume we should listen to that. 

I'm looking forward to it to be honest, we have some smart people in this community who given the opportunity to speak can come up with some good shit.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Oliv said:

I'm not trying to be a dick, but just show our view of it too here, but we have similar apprehensions when it comes to stuff like this. Some things get suggested sometimes with no real solution or way to real change it. It's like someone complaining about Rolle being the problem with the community. What's the solution? Take Rolle out? Good luck.

I think as long as the complaints and ideas are reasonable and when possible come with a suggestion on how to correct it (or at least a building block of an idea) it is fair to assume we should listen to that. 

I'm looking forward to it to be honest, we have some smart people in this community who given the opportunity to speak can come up with some good shit.

At least we’re BOTH trying not to be dicks.

But I understand what your saying, it’s just if people have a problem, and it’s generally accepted as a problem, someone needs to come up with a solution. While I do feel that the one presenting the problem should present a solution, staff should definitely come up with ideas as well. (Which I’m sure they do)

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...