Server time: 2018-10-19, 16:46
Lady In Blue

Disallow stealth radio usage: Rule 11.5

When I came back and read the rules I thought 11.5 was gonna make things sucks, but it actually allows you to prepare to hostiles to arrive if you are speaking to one of them because they'll either be describing you or the current location. Then either you can initiate on the lone guy and do hostage RP or wait for the rest of them to come and have hostile RP :D

I like the rule; stops metagaming  or allows for rule breaks to be detected, and means people have to be clever about their comms and initiations.

The emote is just OTT, you can have a PTT anywhere on your body. between your legs, under the armpit even under your hat. and not all PTTs make clicks when pushed down so you might no hear 'their' one.

I understand where you are coming from, but honestly there are workarounds to your workaround, that will never change, people will make up reasons in game like continuous transmission etc etc. 

The rule is okay as it is right now.

I think your heart is in the right place, Lady but overall I don't see this being implemented because like others have been saying it's just another thing to remember when trying to Role Play and have fun that sort of takes you of the moment in order to do so. While yes, I get that realistically you could and can see these things happening we have a limited chat space and too many messages could over-spam and overwhelm people in the vicinity as well as halter RP also it would just be another thing to attend to. What most people assume is that if they don't ask for a Radio right off the bat and someone is saying things like, "What? Put my hands up? Me? Why are you pointing your gun at me? Hey dude/lady with the blue raincoat, why are you telling me to put my hands up? What do you want?" it's obvious that they're transmitting to their friends while also Hot Mic'ing IG. 

Another thing, just like Rolle said we have to let people be able to be rescued or come to the rescue of their friends and this kind of rule will only make that harder, people want to engage in RP and we really should try to avoid preventing that with too many restrictions in place. 

A rule where i can die for speaking into my radio. Also, how would you tell the difference between me complying and tansmitting over my radio.

if i say "Okay I'm putting my hands up" with your concept i could be shot for what could easily just be me complying.

Sorry but a massive -1 to allow kill rights for simply using a radio.

21 minutes ago, Para said:

if i say "Okay I'm putting my hands up" with your concept i could be shot for what could easily just be me complying.

Hmm. Imagine if people start saying "Don't speak, drop your weapons" when they initiate. Then they'd kill you for double mic-ing or let you talk after they've dropped your radio. I question the legitimacy of this tactic but, you know, it'll probably happen, even if we end up seeing it in a report.

38 minutes ago, Mass said:

Hmm. Imagine if people start saying "Don't speak, drop your weapons" when they initiate. 

Thats how you initiate extra safe and ruleplay-like :D

1 hour ago, Mass said:

Hmm. Imagine if people start saying "Don't speak, drop your weapons" when they initiate. Then they'd kill you for double mic-ing or let you talk after they've dropped your radio. I question the legitimacy of this tactic but, you know, it'll probably happen, even if we end up seeing it in a report.

I'm not sure if it was discussed in a question thread or something, but I think I remember hearing that that was an acceptable initiation.

The way things are today are WAY more fair than what they were. Like... leagues ahead of what they were. Nitpicking is only gonna frustrate people. Can it be abused? Fuck yes it can... but so can every rule. There's grey areas for everything, and that's why our little staffies love phrases like "case by case basis". 

If you think someone is leaking information over their radio, and you initiate on them, take their radio and transport them to a new location. There's fuck all their friends can do if all they know is a last location, but it at least gives them the opportunity to TRY and find them.

Hello Lady in blue. I'm replying to you. If I repeat anything someone has said I apologize in advance.

I agree full-heartedly with you.  I once had the thought of opening a server where it banned the use of out of game communication- forums and TS/VENT/DISCORD. That is impossible to enforce though, but if you think about a world where you had to use the radios IG in order to chat, (which we should... we don't have telepathic comms as the rule says ;)) a lot of the situations would make a lot more sense for the characters involved in game and make it a more even playing field.  Not to mention add much more depth to each character you met because you don't know shit about that person or their intentions but hell... it's someone, right? Anyways, there is one problem though. 

A constantly accessible radio is a sort of IDDQD (godmode) for the uncertainty of communications breakdown. It's a gauge for the players to have a know on what to expect for our characters. My humble opinion - people value too much the characters they create. 

Now there are two ways I can currently think of that you could easily and logically - albeit one would be sheer dumb luck - RP not having to press a PTT IG. 
-Taped the button down and therefore constant broadcast
-depending on location of the radio on person it could be pressed due to being smooshed against something in the bag/pants/jacket. However the person wouldn't know it (think "buttdialed")

This seems like a lot to think about in a heated moment - and it is for this game - but take away the cheat codes and players will adapt. 

I thought it's funny seeing (IC) TS channels personally. I also thought it was funny to allow pseudodeath... make's a characters death, and the actions leading up to it, not mean anything. But that's another topic and I digress.

In any case... I hope what you have proposed gets pushed through. Cheers.

EDIT: My meaning on "people valuing too much the characters they create..."  I'll explain in a question to you. Why should people be afraid to press a button to send for help when their life is already threatened to begin with? 

Edit2: The work around for the "duct taped PTT button down" is... "...Is your battery working?"

Edited by Vrtra

I agree with everyone else, I can't be bothered reading another page of this.

Overly strict.

It's just another way to kill of this game entirely. And even though we all hate this game, we're trying to keep the boat afloat... I prefer how it is now.

6 hours ago, Elmo said:

I'm not sure if it was discussed in a question thread or something, but I think I remember hearing that that was an acceptable initiation.

I can't find the post now, but I think I gave an example like that in the announcement when the double mic rule was introduced. Basically, if you were initiated on and are demanded to keep quiet, but after several warnings you kept talking and thus relay information on the radio, that was seen as non-compliance that put the aggressors directly at risk and it would warrant a bullet to the head.

This ain't needed. -1

In conclusion, players dislike the idea of new regulations a lot more than they give credit to the positive effects of the suggestion. That's good to know, so next time I make a suggestion I'll make sure that it's about something that needs much less red tape or has a much larger positive effect on the community. Or both! :) 

A big thanks to everyone for taking their time to leave some input! Lots of love to you all and have a nice Valentines Day! 

3o8dpacKh5x2tABoha.gif.e93d751dea3ff46cf6b9bd9131326df4.gif

Edited by Lady In Blue

24 minutes ago, Lady In Blue said:

players dislike the idea of new regulations a lot more than they give credit to the positive effects of the suggestion.

That doesn't make sense, unless you're trying to put two sentences together. Can you expand?

Calling in @Elmo for his input on the events on which occurred above on this thread in the quote prior to this sentence.

22 hours ago, ExoticRP said:

K if this gets added when I spawn in I will just emote *Duct tapes PTT down*.  Whats the work around for that.

The in game radio is a 2-way radio and it is not capable of sending and receiving signals at the same time. No work around needed, it'd be considered metagaming if you did this and both sent and received in game info.

I do not think the rule needs editing. The initiating party needs risk involved, we should not be removing too much of that risk.

5 hours ago, Jamie said:

Calling in @Elmo for his input on the events on which occurred above on this thread in the quote prior to this sentence.

I'm so lost right now it hurts

@Lady In Blue You are correct about the part where people just can not miss someone using a radio. If we are realistic. Many characters have been killed. While you might have made a dozen of shots on their body, which realistically would have very slim chances - a miracle if you want to call it - to survive such terrible damage, many of those characters return with the RP explanation "My team pulled me out of there" I have managed to crawl out of there with 20 shots in my body, including one or two in my head, managed to patch myself up while I was bleeding from around 10 sides and now I'm laying in a bush, steadily recovering from the 20+ bullet wounds that were in me" and so on and so on. No one is perma unless the owner of the characters agrees to it. Their character will escape every situation, reviving quicker than Jesus. 

This also applies to the fact that there can be no "acting tough" in a hostage situation where you are the hostage, for the sake of RP. Meaning: Every character must be a pussy and must comply in order to enhance the hostage RP to the max. Every. Single. One. No one being crazy enough or brave enough to act tough is unrealistic as fuck. But yeah roleplay. 

Overall the hidden rule is: *Role play over realism*. What you are trying to change won't change unfortunately. But I completely agree that it is indeed impossible to hold a two-handed rifle/gun and still press the PTT unseen. It's not only unrealistic, it is IMPOSSIBLE IN-GAME. Only the roleplay allows it here apparently.

Edited by Shazzzam

Not sure how many of you know how radios actualy work.. but you can onoy have one active radio on a frequency

If there would be two players with "taped PPT" neither would be able to transmit. If there is just one they would still block all comunication between others

On 2/13/2018 at 3:58 AM, Voodoo said:

I say go back to old rules and get rid of 11.5

+1

If we had TFR then all these problems would go away, but sadly there is no mod support.