Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 16:16
Sign in to follow this  
-Macca

Evil Group idea

i have this cool idea for a group. the group will be called the protectors and they are a very evil cult like group which has a hidden background which will be revealed in game if this group kicks off  but the main goals of the group would be as follows

1) Spread a fear in the lands forcing enemy groups to join together or put there differences aside

2) have a really interesting backstory which will hopefully want people ingame to try and learn.

3) hold onto a selected area while raiding known campsites for victims to barter with or set as an example.

I hope this group doesn't turn into a PVP group as will try my very best to avoid it in order to have a great story line that could possible get new players involved in rp by fearing the Protectorate

the dress code would be all black with the old Russian gas mask shown below that is ruined to make it more dark looking. and the plays style will involve torture (if those involved allow) and strictly story driven 

here are some pic to kinda set the mood  

if you guys are interested or have ideas to help develop this idea please share with a reply or a PM

evil.jpg

wallhaven-278051.jpg

8 minutes ago, -Macca said:

1) Spread a fear in the lands forcing enemy groups to join together or put there differences aside

2) have a really interesting backstory which will hopefully want people ingame to try and learn.

3) hold onto a selected area while raiding known campsites for victims to barter with or set as an example.

1) Why would they do that? You have to keep in mind that even though there are cults IRL they never believe they are the "bad guys". Spreading fear needs a very good reason in order to not look like a cringy group. Not saying it is impossible, but there is a very thin line between good and overly edgy.

2) What backstory? No one can tell you if your idea is good or not if you keep the most important part to yourself.

3) I like the idea of bandits robbing lonely wanderers between hotspots, sadly right now there is only one hotspot. This will force you to initiate on a big group of people which is guaranteed to end in a firefight, something you are trying to avoid if I understood you correctly.

14 minutes ago, -Macca said:

the dress code would be all black with the old Russian gas mask shown below that is ruined to make it more dark looking. and the plays style will involve torture (if those involved allow) and strictly story driven 

Why the gasmask? Why all black? Why all the torture?

Don't take this as me bashing your idea, just trying to show you some of the questions and problems you might encounter.

An evil cult, called the Protectors running around with Russian gas masks? Well, if you are going to do cult roleplay I would heavily suggest doing your research before hopping in-game. I would also ask for help from a loremaster creating this group. Good luck anyways.

Just now, Grimnir said:

1) Why would they do that? You have to keep in mind that even though there are cults IRL they never believe they are the "bad guys". Spreading fear needs a very good reason in order to not look like a cringy group. Not saying it is impossible, but there is a very thin line between good and overly edgy.

2) What backstory? No one can tell you if your idea is good or not if you keep the most important part to yourself.

3) I like the idea of bandits robbing lonely wanderers between hotspots, sadly right now there is only one hotspot. This will force you to initiate on a big group of people which is guaranteed to end in a firefight, something you are trying to avoid if I understood you correctly.

Why the gasmask? Why all black? Why all the torture?

Don't take this as me bashing your idea, just trying to show you some of the questions and problems you might encounter.

dont worry im all ears but i had a group on prophecy and asylum that has all black and the ruined Russian gas mask I find it give the creepy feel to a character and its very distinct and the backstory im still developing  but want people to hear about it ingame but i will post a backstory that give enough detail to let let you understand but also to get people curious and wanting to learn more about the group. I fully understand that firefights will be enviable but ill try to avoid it (not always) and the reason why they torture and spread feel if because of the history of the leader of the group https://www.dayzrp.com/characters/display-4872/. this is an idea i really want to try and want to succeed but i dont have alot of experience as the evil cult character. i had a really good crazy doctor which developed into an amazing story and ill be drawing from that to make the character succeed  

6 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

An evil cult, called the Protectors running around with Russian gas masks? Well, if you are going to do cult roleplay I would heavily suggest doing your research before hopping in-game. I would also ask for help from a loremaster creating this group. Good luck anyways.

yup i plan to get as much feed back and i want to plan the group so everyone involved understand the primes of the group and the name will more then likely change as i just picked the name as its what came to mind 

I mean, I'm glad you're enthusiastic about it and all, but the ideas layed out here are just cringy and unoriginal. This group would not be feared, it would be laughed at. The background for the group and this Cyrus character with no last name literally looks like it was written by a 13 year old, there is nothing interesting or original or legitimately scary about it. This group is like shopping for your wardrobe at Hot Topic and hoping people will think you're super edgy and unique.

I'd say scrap the idea and start from the ground up, stay away from cheesy horror tropes that have been overplayed to death and instead find something new and terrifying. 

So let me go through this by your points.

1) Spread fear throughout Chernarus is pretty much every evil groups goal, its also pretty common and unoriginal. You can't really force other groups to put their differences aside but certainly interesting.

2) An interesting backstory is what most groups go to achieve.

3) so make a home and raid other peoples? also pretty common but the victim bartering will probably not work, nobody really wants to barter for a random person for no reason, but certainly setting an example of them would be good, dunno why you would or how you would do it but go for it.

The whole idea of an evil cult group has been done many times before so you will have to find a way to make your group better than the rest or at the very least original, unfortunately as far as a PVP group goes if you're going to make a hostile group, PVP comes with that, so you best be ready to receive backlash ICly and have people try and initiate on you. When you do make this group try and make nice graphics for it, don't just pull a few images off of google and stick em on there, graphics are what really make people look into a group, so make sure you have it on lock.

Theres my feedback, now take a "Tom Cruise bribing a kid to steal his bike to ride away from a crash site of a drug running plane with cocaine on his face" gif :)

Image result for american made gif

Edited by KyleRP

I like that you're enthusiastic about starting a cult group to spread fear in SZ, but I don't think the way you're presenting it will be too scary... 

People can't get behind things that are too cliche or what have you, like escaped psycho-murders or unpredictable killers. People are scared of things that are slightly off, because the danger could be real or they could be over reacting until it's too late. If you made this group IG/IC people will hunt you down and wipe you out quite quickly. Unless you have a notorious group known for their unpredictable and quirky murdering ways it won't work. You have to build a reputation and not just state you have one. 

So make a group and get in game, build fear through experiences with other players and play styles. Don't murder right off the bat, and make the RP interesting and exciting. People like that instead, you know? I think @Tony did a great job running with the Lost Souls back in the day (I wasn't around during Horsemen or whomever else :( So I can't say much on that), they were known for what they did but they didn't out right murder people for no reason which helped word to spread and fear to nestle in so when you encountered them and you realized they were who they were you ended up being like, "Ohshit." Specially if you knew your character had done something wrong according to them and what they may do to balance you out. Which could be murder or torture or simply letting you go! Also, @Jack the Ripper I think plays a creepy/slightly off character great as well. There's a tension when you're around him, but you're not sure of why and that helps build up fear and anxiety. He doesn't go around bragging because he doesn't need to, you know? He's got that presence. 

If you ever want to expand your RP, try joining the mentor program. Vets join the Mentor Program all the time to learn different styles of RP, so it's not shameful to want to learn how to RP a different play style if you've always played a certain way prior. 

TLDR; Don't state you have a rep. of being scary, actually get in game and make the rep for yourselves through creative RP. If you don't know how, join the Mentor Program.

@Brayces That wasn't just me, that was in all fairness that entire group. The Lost Souls was different for one reason alone... it wasn't about them. From the very beginning the idea was to put the centre focus of the roleplay around who was took. The hostage was never left bored, never left to their own devices... they were forced to think, forced to interact, punished for failure and rewarded for success. Games were designed to test and most importantly 'DEVELOP' these peoples characters.

I get a lot of mention for the stuff that went on, but that is only because I have charisma, but that group has been rocking hostility long before I ever stepped into their ranks. They gave me the best damn hostile RP I ever had and it just so happened I fit it too perfectly, which was the entire point of the concept. In a world gone mad, how do you survive? You test and you analyse. You figure out who fits the mould and who doesn't. Who'll help you and yours survive and who will be a liability... and at the same time just be indulgent in those baser human instincts The Good Book tells us not to. 

To quote @Hellspawn "We don't want your possessions... we want -you-" And they did.  It wasn't about who was a badass, or even fear... it was about practicality. Hostility through blunt logic and reason. Very rarely did I ever see anything get taken from anyone and if it ever happened, it was because they could have been a risk. -I- got my gun back when I was originally taken... 

The point is, it was creative. It was different. Taxes, cannibalism, simple robberies, just plain boredom... The Lost Souls worked as well as it did because some people sat down, got into a group and said 'How do we give people the best damn RP they've ever had'.. you wanna make a great hostile group, start with that very line.

Edited by Tony

I think your character should be developed further in order for the group to be developed properly (if that makes sense.) The reason for this is that if you state why you wear the certain things you have stated, this can be brought into the group. You're playing a cult and you're the leader so I'm sure this is what should be included. You need to think of something that has effected your character in order to make him act in that 'crazy' way. Just an idea but the reason your character could be wearing the mask is that he was a victim of a large fire or something and is suffering from severe PTSD and burns. It just adds that little more depth to the character, making it more believable to everyone else instead of 'He was troubled from an early age and went to a mental asylum' that's just cliche and no one will believe it. Dunno about you but hostile characters, especially 'crazy' ones, need some sort of weakness just to try and sell it further and I think something like what I have stated is something you can use to sell that. 

I know it's hard to come up with something unique and fresh because most ideas have been done already. Just try to make it believable, do your research and come up with some better goals and you should be good.  Aaaaannnddd, just tone down the edge a little. 

Feel like I've heard about a group that did all of that and was hated by the whole community.
You cant spread fear without any pvp and at the end of the day that's what it comes down to, because people here are not scared at all and only value killing you or their gear :)

Edited by Eagle

2 hours ago, Tony said:

@Brayces That wasn't just me, that was in all fairness that entire group. The Lost Souls was different for one reason alone... it wasn't about them. From the very beginning the idea was to put the centre focus of the roleplay around who was took. The hostage was never left bored, never left to their own devices... they were forced to think, forced to interact, punished for failure and rewarded for success. Games were designed to test and most importantly 'DEVELOP' these peoples characters.

I get a lot of mention for the stuff that went on, but that is only because I have charisma, but that group has been rocking hostility long before I ever stepped into their ranks. They gave me the best damn hostile RP I ever had and it just so happened I fit it too perfectly, which was the entire point of the concept. In a world gone mad, how do you survive? You test and you analyse. You figure out who fits the mould and who doesn't. Who'll help you and yours survive and who will be a liability... and at the same time just be indulgent in those baser human instincts The Good Book tells us not to. 

To quote @Hellspawn "We don't want your possessions... we want -you-" And they did.  It wasn't about who was a badass, or even fear... it was about practicality. Hostility through blunt logic and reason. Very rarely did I ever see anything get taken from anyone and if it ever happened, it was because they could have been a risk. -I- got my gun back when I was originally taken... 

The point is, it was creative. It was different. Taxes, cannibalism, simple robberies, just plain boredom... The Lost Souls worked as well as it did because some people sat down, got into a group and said 'How do we give people the best damn RP they've ever had'.. you wanna make a great hostile group, start with that very line.

To this day.. I still cannot approach a single RP without 'judgment' 

We did not really form because we asked ourselves "How do we give people the best damn RP theyve ever had".. we just wanted a group without a leader where we could do all the edgy shit we wanted to do without restrictions and let our characters interact naturally and continue on from the Jackals while remaining brothers and sisters and not forgetting our pasts.. Our characters would not have come together and been what they were without the Jackals or even the Crows for that matter in that case of Ivan Lynch who never really became a Jackal for one reason or another.. he never needed the mark, but I cannot honestly recall if he ever was.

Basically.. no matter what we did.. we already knew we would be giving the best damn RP ever ;)

Edited by Keira

17 hours ago, Tony said:

quote @Hellspawn "We don't want your possessions... we want -you-" And they did.  It wasn't about who was a badass, or even fear... it was about practicality. Hostility through blunt logic and reason. Very rarely did I ever see anything get taken from anyone and if it ever happened, it was because they could have been a risk. -I- got my gun back when I was originally taken... 

That was one of my favourite things to say to people when they told me to take their stuff and let them go. I swear 90% of people didn't know how to respond to this. Also the only time we took stuff from people is when they showed a lack of respect towards us when we had them hostage, or they denied us OOC permission to torture them and we wanted do leave some kind of impression on them. We'd tell them they don't deserve their things, and that if they acted with a bit more respect they could of left with their stuff.

15 hours ago, Keira said:

To this day.. I still cannot approach a single RP without 'judgment' 

I'm just as guilty for this as well. I've tried to do thing differently, but still to this day I find judging people strong or weak comes naturally to me. 

My tip for the OP is to let it come naturally IC. if a bunch of you are in agreement OOC about what type of role-play you're doing it shouldn't take to long for everything to come together. Try not to focus on being good or bad,  but to focus on creating interesting and unique situations for those you take hostage.

My opinion on this idea has already been stated by everyone above my post. but I'll hash out my opinion in my own words to let you know how I feel.

1.) I find the idea of any group instigating fear to such a massive amount of people in a realistic apocalypse almost more unrealistic as zombies are. A bandit group or a group that is looking to incite violence would be one thing, but to straight up try to be top dog number one is not only unrealistic, but edgy. In an apocalypse where everyone only gets one chance, putting a giant target on your head will lead to your group ending faster than it begins.

2.) Not to create any drama, but usually nobody cares. Very rarely will you find people genuinely interested in your story. The only time they'll be interested is when you become a HVT, but I doubt that will happen since all the DayZ RP big dogs are already the HVTs on the server.

3.) By "holding on" I believe you mean that you will be claiming land and raiding others. Meaning PVP will be HEAVY. VERY HEAVY. 

Your group gives off a very "Spec ops cult super soldier bad guy" feeling. Which is bad. To convey emotions and feelings, you must first develop a story behind it. But so far, I just see a group that would exist solely for Gear RP and would start drama at the sight of PVP. Create a group that would rather do anything to survive, a group of misfits not trained or ready but instead were forced into an unsteady alliance. That would be much better then another super soldier sausage fest.