Server time: 2018-08-20, 05:30

PCJames

Problems installing new CPU

Hello all. Last fall I spent a good amount of money on buying a new i7 processor. However, the two occasions that I have tried to replace my i5 with my new CPU have not gone over well. I will take out the i5, put in the i7, apply a good amount of paste and then screw the fan back on. But when I press the power button my PC will turn on, all the fans will turn on and all the plugged-in USBs will power on as well but nothing comes through to my display. Several times I have restarted the computer and besides a single beep sometimes, I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. I looked up my issue on google and most people advised to reset your BIOS manually. I tried this today and it did not work. I would love to get this problem solved because I hate having this expensive piece of hardware sit around and collect dust. Thanks. 

Huh.

Are you sure both processor use the same socket ? Have you checked for a bent pin on the processor ? Maybe some thermal paste spilled on the motherboard ? I take you cleared the CMOS ? (with the little jumper thingie and the three pins) How much ram do you have installed ? (Try again with only two sticks if you have four.) Is your processor recognized by the motherboard in the BIOS ? 

It's all I can think off for now, without the actual product in front of me it's tough but hey, you never know !

All I could think of is if you accidentally unplugged something relating to your GPU.

Thats what I did when I replaced my CPU.

I appreciate the tips, I'll try them tomorrow. 

Does the motherboard support the new CPU? Sometimes newer gen, same socket processors with require BIOS update before they will work.

53 minutes ago, Rolle said:

Does the motherboard support the new CPU? Sometimes newer gen, same socket processors with require BIOS update before they will work.

This could be the problem.. Double check if your MBO can support your CPU. Also check all wires, try to press all things to their place, like GPU, RAM maybe they got "out", check all cables.

Take it to Best Buy. :D

What motherboard do you have and exactly which i7 processor do you have ? You might have to buy a new motherboard..

15 minutes ago, Silk said:

What motherboard do you have and exactly which i7 processor do you have ? You might have to buy a new motherboard..

Oh yes, that's a thing. @PCJames I hope your processor and mobo sockets are compatible..

Well, I suppose that I may just be in the market for a new motherboard. I searched up motherboards that our compatible with my new i7 7700k. Can anyone recommend any boards from this list? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=VKx9TW

Any Z270 motherboard will do, just pick the cheapest with ATX form factor with whatever IO you need (USB, SATA etc), it's not a huge difference when it comes to performance in between them.

My guess is you went from a Skylake processor or older? If it fits it must be the same socket so i'm gueesing 1151. Probably like El Presidente is saying, the wrong chipset.
Check out ur old CPU through XTU, if you have a 6th gen CPU your motherboard wont support the new 7th gen Z270 chipset.

Also just now realised this is 9 days old, why aint his resolved yet?

Edited by Chow