Server time (UTC): 2019-06-26, 03:13
Sign in to follow this  
SirMadness

How to get into the good RP?

Hello all! Just come back after a year break or so. I remember I left due to the lack of fun encounters, during the PsiSyndicate surge of players who just robbed everyone. There are about 3 scenarios that I can actually remember and enjoyed, and that's after an awful lot of hours on the server (is this normal, are particularly fun encounters such gems?). Thinking back they all seemed to be random encounters with strangers which led to some sort of adventure with a sincere motive. So is that the trick? To have some sort of relatively achievable goal and go out looking for randoms to help you out? My favourite scenario was trying to help a random escape capture, being captured myself. Escaping and having to leave behind the random. Suffering severe wounds. Being hunted down and aided by some randoms. Being tracked down over half the map - until my internet crashed :/. It was fun while it lasted. These are the types of encounters I want but very rarely get. Always just talking to people in a hotspot and hearing stories of things, which can be fun but not as fun as being part of the stories. Maybe I am just unlucky. Any advice on what I can do to get more of this would be appreciated.

Ty :P 

RP hotspots are a real slippery slope as mathematically, the more players congregated in one area, the more of potential shit-storm may occur, however, you still find great roleplayers in those spots too from time to time, some people like the hotspots as it provides some sort of guarantee that you will come across players in your time online thus eliminating the time consuming part of looking all over the map for people.

Roaming certain areas of the map is a good way to seek for adventure too because you may run into many good and bad experiences along your travels (with variable quality of RP as well). It also helps as well if you build your own player story with set goals based on your characters motivations, personality, traits and psyche. In combining those qualities and narrative, you will eventually collide with other player's stories in a "good" or "bad" way based on your actions and their actions. 

I believe that RP is the realistic experience of treating people as an end in themselves - what I mean by that is engage with people in a way that is beneficial for all parties. That does not mean you have to nessecarily always be friendly and open with every stranger you meet and RP under their terms, it just means you have to interact with people and their story too. Some characters may have little remorse when commiting hostile acts such as theft, murder, etc. but within a realistic survival game like DayZ, it can be presumed that themes as mentioned above would exist IRL in the same setting. Without "bad" characters, I can guarantee that DayZRP would be a very boring place and would not make for intense rivalries and storytelling. The main flaw I find with this theme is that we are creating that same environment in a video game with characters that can die and respawn with little to no repurcussions. 

It is inherit however that with roleplay games, one person's roleplay may also take away from another person's roleplay - it's a continuous cycle but there are ways to mitigate it so both parties can have a positive interaction. 

Some people would disagree with my view and points but thats how I have always interpreted roleplay.

Those examples of roleplay scenarios you mentioned still do exist but in my experience, I find a lot of those scenarios have become more scarce as DayZRP has progressed in the last year. If you do click with certain people or groups, thats great! However, make sure the RP is still present amongst your group ICly and with others you meet IG. I have seen far too many cases of groups becoming desensitized to roleplay in their groups and it becomes a total OOC yap fest in TS. For some people, this is preferable .. again, these are just my opinions and observations. 

If you wish to read about how to perform or engage in good roleplay, there are guides on the internet and on this forum.

I believe in summary, there are three main points to acheiving "Good" roleplay.

1. Don't take anything to heart - don't co-relate actions and emotions IC and OOC based on others actions.
  2. Be creative and genuine in your character and narrative
  3. Treat people as a means in themselves, rather than as means to an end.

Edited by Furlean

I wasn't trying to suggest that robberies and hostile RP were bad in my OP. Just that the RP was bad in the scenarios I encountered falling into that category. I favour hostile and non-hostile RP equally provided the core RP was well done. I can relate to what you're saying about an 'OOC yap fest'. People I play with tend towards wanting this, unfortunately. So your general advice is whilst hotspots can generate fun adventures they can also be a 'shit-storm'. Is there no good way of increasing the likelihood of creating a more interesting encounter rather than the usual storytelling and the like, which occurs in these 'hotspots'.

I get what you're talking about. Basically I'd say find a good RPer and stick with them. 
i met @Mr. Blue and good god did I have dank RP with him.  I ran around with him for months and had so many great RP experiences with and without him.
Internal RP is often times over looked imo. 

Thats about all I have to say

21 minutes ago, SirMadness said:

Is there no good way of increasing the likelihood of creating a more interesting encounter rather than the usual storytelling and the like, which occurs in these 'hotspots'.

The ways are simple.

Play at peak hours.

Locate player hotspots.

Roam around said hotspots.

Bam, you just ran into someone.

But is that really what you want ? Maybe they'll just walk with you for a bit or even camp for the night, and before you know it, it's back to "storytelling". You can't force fate, if you want trouble, look for it. If you want friendlier form of RP, look for it. But you can't do anything about other players, that's the beauty of it isn't it ? I'd however advise loosing the "most of my encounters so far sucked" mentality because you are either very picky or just set your bar too high. Keep faith, it'll happen when you least expect it.

Edit : Solid advice from @N-Tox, his method works wonder.

Edited by Pontiff

24 minutes ago, SirMadness said:

I wasn't trying to suggest that robberies and hostile RP were bad in my OP. Just that the RP was bad in the scenarios I encountered falling into that category. I favour hostile and non-hostile RP equally provided the core RP was well done. I can relate to what you're saying about an 'OOC yap fest'. People I play with tend towards wanting this, unfortunately. So your general advice is whilst hotspots can generate fun adventures they can also be a 'shit-storm'. Is there no good way of increasing the likelihood of creating a more interesting encounter rather than the usual storytelling and the like, which occurs in these 'hotspots'.

Story telling is easy way to avoid the awkward silence when there is nothing else to RP about. Good way to avoid this is to provide yourself interesting enough RP so you dont have to get into that point. Its not always that easy, and you pretty mutch cant avoid that

Edited by Itsmez

All good points. So I guess the consensus is to go to/near a highly populated area (just to maximise possibility and frequency of player interaction) and if no motive is provided by anyone, provide one yourself upon meeting someone. I'd agree that internal RP is underrated, unfortunately, all my buds I've persuaded to play with me aren't much interested, so all my RP comes from strangers. In essence, you just have to be patient, just do your part and wait for something fun to happen.

It is not that I want friendly or hostile RP, I just want something of significance. Everyone encounters some form of a robbery or a chat around a campfire fairly frequently. I'd just prefer to experience more unusual RP that you might remember for a while or just generally really enjoy. 

Id also agree that the beauty of this community is that all the best things come spontaneously as you can't control other player's actions. However, if you take a look at how awesome some of the ideas of the organised events are when things like that happen spontaneously IC and IG (a collision between the two integral parts of the community) is in my OP where the best experiences arise.

What you were saying @N-Tox about finding someone and sticking with them. I've thought about adding someone/ talking OOC with them to organise something IC and IG at some later point after having previously met them IG and RPed with them. However, I thought this might devalue the whole thing.

I always remind people not to get discouraged by one, two, or even three "meh" interactions IG. Easier said than done, I totally know. Keep playing, keep trying, and you'll run into people who have the type RP that you're looking for, and who may tag along. Besides, every encounter -- bad or good -- is great motivation in character. It really helps shape how your character is going to interact with all kinds of people.

Edited by Kattica