Server time (UTC): 2019-06-20, 14:18
Sign in to follow this  
Mexi

Private Frequencies.

Good eve,

Basically I'm suggesting we remove the whole 'private frequencies' option from the radio chatter section. At the end of the day, no Frequency on a radio would be private, you should be attempting to encrypt things ICly to make sure that the people you're attempting to reach understand what you mean.. Overall I think it would add more to RP and maybe even allow those also getting involved to find these people whom hermit in corners for some RP.

tbh scrap 'em, not worth. tyty

Yea honestly just PM someone an IC message if you want.

I agree, they're unrealistic. 

That being said, If i want to get a message publicly out there for whatever reason but don't want thirteen radio warriors on it saying "that's some gay shit" or something else irrelevant on it, it's a good alternative. 

Look through the last five or so radio threads, I'm sure at least one of them has something that fits the bill of what I said above. 

People that have nothing to do with it or just want to radio warrior or some other nonsense are only blocked off by "private" frequencies. 

5 minutes ago, Bubblethicc said:

Simple fix, ignore their transmission.

Yeah I mean... why stop there... lets just make all TS IC channels not to have passwords... if you want to OOC, you can still have OOC locked channels...

And if I capture your group member and he has radio on the frequency, I will be given right to enter that channel and listen in :D

That would be cool...

Did you just take my thread you little juice box knowing I was going to put something up

ignoring Mexi's blasphemy

Yes private frequencies make 0 sense. If you want a private communication then you should either

A. don't use your radio

or

B. encrypt your message in some fashion

6 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

Was more directed at the radio chatters on the forums, once you get the frequency you go to the groups open comms to talk to them anyway so you're able to give your negotiations there. There are rules surrounding that, this however is on the forums.. And IMO the two are rather different with what you've said.

On 1/16/2018 at 8:52 PM, Shanoby said:

Yeah I mean... why stop there... lets just make all TS IC channels not to have passwords... if you want to OOC, you can still have OOC locked channels...

And if I capture your group member and he has radio on the frequency, I will be given right to enter that channel and listen in :D

That would be cool...

This is such a good idea! Seems quite complicated though. Can see it being quite awkward of randoms just joining your ts channel too aha. I wish people used the IG radios more.

28 minutes ago, SirMadness said:

I wish people used the IG radios more.

We would if it wasn't the most complicated thing ever. It's another broken feature that "works" much like vehicles. Yes, it "works" but it is unreliable at best. Half the time you're not even sure if the bloody thing is on or off and the other half you battery is dead for no reasons other than being in the damn radio.

Onto the topic, I personally treat private frequencies like I would treat a journal entry, it's sometimes a nice read and I get to see some character development happening. I don't think it's hurting anybody so ... yeah, let's keep 'em ?

Edited by Pontiff

The IG radios are much better than they were in previous installements. I like to use them from time to time and have had many good RP experiences with meeting some people I met like a week ago only to hear them on the radio. 

Yes please make this a thing. Private frequencies don’t exist, anyone with a frequency scanning device will be able to pick up your transmission. If you want to make a transmission ‘secure’ you need to encrypt it which will make it sound like white noise to anyone without the encryption key. This would require military grade radio equipment though and most civilians wouldn’t know how to use such radios never mind figure out how to encrypt the message. If you did manage to do all that then you’d need the receiver of your message to have the encryption keys on their radio so they can understand the transmission. Basically unless you are a well funded military group you wouldn’t have ‘private’ radio and even then you’d only be able to communicate with people who have the same grade radios and you’d have to had exchanged encryption keys. Not to mention the fact you can’t just pull crypto out of thin air.

tl;dr There’s no such thing as private frequencies they should go

To be honest i dont even care, its a small feature that has pretty mutch nothing to do with people not involved in it. yeah it might be unrealistic, but how about everything else that is unrealistic? at the end of the day it doesnt have any effect on you or your gameplay.

fdaf8d0c883da01bcb3b4af8240dd21c1bf87eb6

Lets just get rid off all the forum larping 

Zombies are pretty unrealistic too, private frequencies are meh, don't need em, don't need to get rid of em, nothing really needs changing.

3 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Zombies are pretty unrealistic too, private frequencies are meh, don't need em, don't need to get rid of em, nothing really needs changing.

Well to be frank, there are a few known examples of zombification that are similar to what we have in game, ive just never read about a case inflicting humans.  

There is even a few chemical compounds that will rob you of free will and intellect.

Just now, SweetJoe said:

There is even a few chemical compounds that will rob you of free will and intellect.

Send me some

About Encrypted Radios

Encrypted radios do exist (so priv. freq sort of do exist, just not how people think), however, they tend to remain more in military use than anything else. Nothing a civilian would have easy access to. Honestly, if you ask me, we should just get rid of radio chatter as a whole (make it announcements only). I'm here to play on DayZRP, not some shitty forum RP. If you want to do it, set it up on your own discord or something.

Get rid of it on the forum's then all people will do is use alternative means in sending them either by PM, steam etc.

I honestly don't see the problem, if the RC forum doesn't interest you then don't view it. 

I really don't care. Call me biased, but I have fun posting in private ones, I have fun posting in public ones.

Im probably part of the reason this thread was created, because I've posted on a private frequency within the past 12 hours. When I see someone else's I just ignore it.

Edited by Kattica

58 minutes ago, Hebi Kotei said:

About Encrypted Radios

Encrypted radios do exist (so priv. freq sort of do exist, just not how people think), however, they tend to remain more in military use than anything else. Nothing a civilian would have easy access to. Honestly, if you ask me, we should just get rid of radio chatter as a whole (make it announcements only). I'm here to play on DayZRP, not some shitty forum RP. If you want to do it, set it up on your own discord or something.

Thats the point none of these people making these threads would have access to the equipment nor how to use it. 

39 minutes ago, Kattica said:

I really don't care. Call me biased, but I have fun posting in private ones, I have fun posting in public ones.

Im probably part of the reason this thread was created, because I've posted on a private frequency within the past 12 hours. When I see someone else's I just ignore it.

This thread was made on January 16th, so I think you're good. Unless Mexi is just, like, pre-emptively mad at you.

Not really bothered about Private Frequencies myself but it gives you a chance to view what other people are doing, which is still interesting even if you can't know about it IC. Otherwise it'd all be shared through PM and then nobody would get to see what others are up to unless they post public broadcasts.

4 minutes ago, Mass said:

This thread was made on January 16th, so I think you're good. Unless Mexi is just, like, pre-emptively mad at you.

Not really bothered about Private Frequencies myself but it gives you a chance to view what other people are doing, which is still interesting even if you can't know about it IC. Otherwise it'd all be shared through PM and then nobody would get to see what others are up to unless they post public broadcasts.

People could come up with more entertaining ways of keeping their conversations private through public comms. Even make their own ciphers and people try to break them and stuff like that

Just now, Macbrine said:

People could come up with more entertaining ways of keeping their conversations private through public comms. Even make their own ciphers and people try to break them and stuff like that

True, yeah, if people want to do that that'd be pretty cool. Personally I like reading Private Chatter sometimes to see what others are up to but I'm not dedicated enough to decipher every broadcast sent out. I think the point of having private chatter still be publicly viewed is because it can be entertaining. Fun.

It’s honestly just pretty silly to post a thread in a public forum only a few people can respond to and whose information can only be used by those people ICly. If you have a private message to send just talk IC in ts or send a PM, don’t put a bunch of stuff out there OOCly that you don’t want to be known ICly. 

32 minutes ago, Macbrine said:

Thats the point none of these people making these threads would have access to the equipment nor how to use it. 

Yeah, while the equipment is to set up difficult, using it is not that hard. If you want to make your radio usage slightly encrypted, use a voice procedure. I can teach basic British Army VP (Pretty much NATO) if someone wants as well.