Server time: 2018-09-25, 10:00

Squillium

Get Rid of Execution Rights

Should the Below Changes be Implemented  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Calm down there dear reader, let me explain.

So basically, the whole idea of this suggestion is that any rule involving executions should simply fall back on Bad RP. If you are captured, and given good RP with a clear and valid reason for why you could/should die, then an execution should be valid. Now what is a valid reason? It shouldn’t be, “This guy mouthed off to us and had an ugly face”, obviously. It also shouldn’t be pointless and unnecessary. An example of this would be capturing a group that has given you issues and killing every single one of them. While that’s obviously realistic it’s shit RP.

A valid reason that isn’t obvious, such as an individual robbed you and you want revenge or you capture the leader of an enemy group, could have more to do with the hostage takers than the hostage. An example of this could be a group wants to send a message to another one so they kill a member of that group, or maybe there’s a deranged character that is executing a victim. 

Now a major problem that I’m sure will be brought up in the comments will be, “So you’re basically just giving anyone free reign to kill whoever they want”, but I’m not. No person or group should just be going place to place, giving hostage RP for 30 minutes, and just killing someone because they think their reason is valid. A big part of this involves the fact that people should use this sparingly, and only when it will truly pushes a story along or has an actual impact on overall RP. I’m sure this can be kept in check by staff as they are more than capable. The main reason I’m suggesting this is because it’s hard for someone to be the “Bad Guys” if they are only able to kill people they’re in direct conflict with. I think this could really allow the server to get a more gritty feeling, and would make hostage situations more interesting as the hostage can’t just sit there knowing OOCly that they can’t be killed as long as they behave and don’t do anything stupid.

TL;DR:

Allow more freedom with executions as long as the RP makes sense and it’s used sparingly.

Edited by Squillium

So you're suggesting that we keep execution rights and just don't call them that.

Edited by Santa

0/10 , was not a Traveler "at least 2000 words and a diagram" suggestion. 

In all seriousness the idea has merit, but I'ma be honest, the staff do not have the time or patience to have a philosophical debate every time someone puts up a report for an "invalid execution" . 
Great idea on paper and shows the main issues with the system as is, but not practical at all mate.... 

4 minutes ago, Santa said:

So you're suggesting that we keep execution rights and just don't call them that.

No, I’m saying let RP play out and allow someone to get killed if it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

0/10 , was not a Traveler "at least 2000 words and a diagram" suggestion. 

In all seriousness the idea has merit, but I'ma be honest, the staff do not have the time or patience to have a philosophical debate every time someone puts up a report for an "invalid execution" . 
Great idea on paper and shows the main issues with the system as is, but not practical at all mate.... 

Again, the question shouldn’t just be, “Is this reason valid?”. If someone’s going around executing people like it’s a horror movie then that’s obviously not alright.

Edited by Squillium

I feel this a poor idea. For example, let's just say someone spends half an hour creating the perfect communist character. They are quite proud of said character and enter the game with a big smile on their face. The first person they meet in game seems nice but some of his friends show up who hate Chedaki. They give the commie twenty minutes of average rp that isn't report worthy but not great and then kill him for being a communist. Our poor friend then logs off and become frustrated because he just made that character. 

Why would we possibly allow this? 

1 minute ago, Squillium said:

No, I’m saying let RP play out and allow someone to get killed if it makes sense.

Which is executing someone.

16 minutes ago, PCJames said:

I feel this a poor idea. For example, let's just say someone spends half an hour creating the perfect communist character. They are quite proud of said character and enter the game with a big smile on their face. The first person they meet in game seems nice but some of his friends show up who hate Chedaki. They give the commie twenty minutes of average rp that isn't report worthy but not great and then kill him for being a communist. Our poor friend then logs off and become frustrated because he just made that character. 

Why would we possibly allow this? 

It’s not meant for, “I’m gonna kill this guy because he’s not like me”. If the reason someone gives for an execution could apply to most of if not all of the server then it shouldn’t be valid.

Hell, we could even apply @Rolle‘s SMART goals. (Without the T :p) If it’s not Specific, Measurable, Attainable and Realistic, as in obviously you can’t just kill every communist character, then it shouldn’t be allowed.

15 minutes ago, Santa said:

Which is executing someone.

I’m saying executing someone shouldn’t just come down to the hostage fucking with you in the past.

Edited by Squillium

Just now, Squillium said:

I’m saying executing someone shouldn’t just come down to the hostage fucking with you in the past.

Right, so you don't want to remove execution rights but expand them.

I'm not a fan of executions in general unless there are permadeaths involved, I don't see how it pushes stories further.

Just now, Santa said:

Right, so you don't want to remove execution rights but expand them.

I want it to be governed by RP-sense more than “I can do this only because he did that”. It could even, in some ways, limit executions if someone had valid execution rights under the current rules but it didn’t make sense RP wise.

Just now, Bubbles said:

I'm not a fan of executions in general unless there are permadeaths involved, I don't see how it pushes stories further.

Even if someone doesn’t choose to permadeath, shooting them with intent to kill sends a stronger message than yelling at them for a while.

I dunno.. what would be nice is a permadeath rule. But I doubt that'll ever happen.

That would add real fear to folks who cared about their characters. Which is hopefully everyone.

Just now, Joffrey said:

I dunno.. what would be nice is a permadeath rule. But I doubt that'll ever happen.

That would add real fear to folks who cared about their characters. Which is hopefully everyone.

I know, but I doubt that’ll ever happen. But the thought of being executed is still enough for me. It would at least add some sense of fear and make people know that they’re playing DayZ, bad shit can happen even when they do everything right.

Just now, Joffrey said:

who cared about their characters. Which is hopefully everyone.

I think the main problem with the perma death rule is that people care about their characters TOO much , and don't want them to die ever . Which could lead to boring encounters and scenarios.  But hey i have played on a perma death server for half a year and that was the best rp i have ever got . And my characters averagely lasted 2 months.

But with that server they had no execution rights like Squillium is suggesting and that worked also , playing a bad guy was super fun.

8 minutes ago, Joffrey said:

Nah. I can see some trolls just constantly hunting down certain people, killing they're characters over and over again. It sounds nice, but is easily abusable imo. 

I'm gonna have to give this a fat +1. People are way too fucking stingy with their characters, thinking they're the main protagonist, refusing to allow a proper execution despite the RP leading to it.

13 minutes ago, King Harvey said:

I'm gonna have to give this a fat +1. People are way too fucking stingy with their characters, thinking they're the main protagonist, refusing to allow a proper execution despite the RP leading to it.

I see where you are coming from with this statement but isn't everyone their own main protagonist from their own perspective..? I think you are going for respect others people entertainment and don't be selfish when you are due a permadeath with IC repercussions. 

Edited by Galaxy

Just now, Galaxy said:

I see where you are coming from with this statement but isn't everyone their own main protagonist from their own perspective..? I think you are going for respect others people entertainment and don't be selfish.

You are your own main protagonist, but in order to not be selfish you have to relize that you’re not to anyone else. It can’t always be about one person and if the RP for an execution makes sense, then on the rare occasion it happens there shouldn’t be a massive outrage.

3 minutes ago, Galaxy said:

I see where you are coming from with this statement but isn't everyone their own main protagonist from their own perspective..? I think you are going for respect others people entertainment and don't be selfish when you are due a permadeath with IC repercussions. 

It was an exaggeration, of course everyone is their own main protagonist, I'd say most of us play this game to feel like we're some important part of the story. In the grand scheme of things though, the importance of an individual pales in comparison to the importance of maintaining the RP. The illusion of immersion is almost always broken when you've had this ongoing story with someone else, and an execution would make complete sense, but you get hit with the:

// No

And immersion is an important part of what makes this whole thing fun.

Fuck yeah +1

Some fear on the server would be great, and like Saints said some people love their characters way to much, making them inmortale. 

So a permadeath rule would be nice.

I agree +1, also lets add a permadeath rule. Maybe people will value their lives then when in hostage situations and others would weigh the pros and cons of fire fights too before initiating them if they knew they were at risk of losing their character.

Added a poll because idk why there wasn’t one.

Just now, Keira said:

I agree +1, also lets add a permadeath rule. Maybe people will value their lives then when in hostage situations and others would weigh the pros and cons of fire fights too before initiating them if they knew they were at risk of losing their character.

To be honest I don’t see that happening, I see this as a sort of middle ground that the community may be able to agree to/put up with.

Just now, Squillium said:

Added a poll because idk why there wasn’t one.

To be honest I don’t see that happening, I see this as a sort of middle ground that the community may be able to agree to/put up with.

I feel you, just saying Id like to see it

Will be interesting to see where this is going. While I don't agree with your implemented changes without any sort of permadeath involved I'm hoping this is a step in the right direction at least.

You carve me up,  go to war with me, illexecute you. Simple.

Dgaf about perma.

The issue is executions overall during RP why are you performing such an act if the person ain´t dying?

*Bob killed joe during a valid execution*
Next day: hi Joe I'm Bob I shot you in the face yesterday.
Ow Nah mate, you must have missed or something because I'm still kicking :))

Edited by Eagle