Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 09:39
Sign in to follow this  
LeaveOrDieRP

Statistics - Why They're Important

Good day fellow community members,

In my spare time - unable to sleep because of an overdose of caffeine - I was overlooking and pondering the community as a whole. Something I joined almost four years ago now, with a dwindling image of five active servers, a bustling forum site, and a massive benefit to the DayZ Standalone community at large. Now, starting off a new year, I see a business that is heading towards the black line rather the green one, and I believe a bit of theory could be applied and talked about.

Looking at our weekly (used to be daily) statistics that are attached as of 1/6/18, the following conclusions may be made immediately, however more research is preferred:

1. We are still a "growing" community, suggests our numbers, but we are not actually growing in play.
  2. Players are joining our community and choosing not to play for some reason
  3. Players are joining our community, realizing the amount of low activity they did not expect, and choose to leave for greener pastures
  4. Our community is becoming stagnant, even though more players are joining almost daily

Allow me to elaborate on these points...

1. According to our stats, the community is growing, as 31 new roleplayers were accepted into our wonderful community in the last week, welcome! However, as of this date, 9 out of these 32 new roleplayers have played on the server in the last 24 hours. The server population has climbed above 45 persons (p) around 2 hours out of the day, and above 40 p for 6 respectively (evidence attached). From the community I remember, players were eager to whitelist, play, and never stop. Now, this was a Friday night going into a Saturday morning; I will conduct more research over the weekend and respond with my findings, but this baffles me. The server has been constant, and there have been no complaints of a long queue since our CDF vs. BPR event, indicating no real player base increase of consistent players at the same time, which would lead to more servers required of the community. This is not good for business, because if you're not gaining enough, you're losing, no matter how marginally.

2. This is more of an open statement. I am not making any particular points regarding this, but I feel it is present nonetheless. These reasons may be countless, and I beg for your opinion on why this is present. I still have the urge to come back and roleplay, and new community members are not transitioning through a "sales pitch" style system in my opinion. A breakdown: An interested roleplayer applies as a prospect, becoming an interested lead the second they decide to apply for the whitelist. After acceptance, they turn into our client, and our clientele is leaving our "business", turning back into prospects or dead leads for some reason...

3. While there is less activity than before, there is more than nothing, but it is the consistency that I do believe is pushing people away from the community. I felt it when I joined back in 2014, but the hype and openness of the community and my personality helped in pushing back against it. New people, everywhere, it was amazing! Cliques are evident, as anywhere in life has them, but there could be a better way of welcoming people to the community, such as an addition to the amazing mentoring program in the terms of a marketing department or PR style area that would focus on welcoming members rather than just replying to their hello thread. These people would assist in getting the member acclimated to the current lore since the original lore wipe, what groups are present, hotspots, etc to get this player immediately into the roleplay we already know and love, but our new-coming friends may be ignorant to. Also, maybe a lore-style faction could be implemented that would not die, focused on bringing in role players to get them acclimated to roleplaying with others, forming IC relationships, and branching off into other groups through this one to better their server playtime and community interaction as a whole.

Just ideas, remember.

4. I consider myself somewhat active over the past 2 weeks or so, and right in the middle of the holiday season is a catch 22 when it comes to gaming communities: you either do well or don't, and I think we rode the middle bar staying status quo. I interact with the same people in roleplay, though even attempting to find newcomers, old friends, the like, I come up short. The radio is buzzing with feedback, internal roleplay, and people looking for help, but when calls are answered no one is left on the other end.

This is not directed at anything. I simply wanted to report my findings, thoughts, and provide a header for a discussion that will surely follow to improve our already great community.

dixeritis.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

Word, my guy. However, I feel the community will grow when Beta comes out, hopefully. Otherwise Beta will flop and it'll just get worse from there. 

My perspective on the whole thing,

You will always get serious/non serious roleplayers anywhere. Doesn't matter what community, what time, what server. Invite only even, some people will only go places for their friends or because they want a quick meme n' ban and you see it everywhere. Anyone who says "This is a dying game so the community will die alongside it" I disagree with, there's more than one end. People get bored of the game and want the most out of their money and go "What else can I do" and they end up here or some other RP community where they Rp and switch up communities until they find the right one. Are all of these people serious at first? No. I know I wasnt as serious as I am now when I first joined, I came here with some experience but not enough for an actual storyline but now I see and know generally how it works leaving me with a good idea. RP overall is very subjective to who enjoys it, it comes down to the other people in the server as well as your own patience and most the time people leave because they want new people around them because the IC is very repetitive/pointiless to which we have seen recently.

If beta flops this place won't die and we will still get a mini wave of old and new players coming in for the taste of modding and building but it wont change people attitudes that they currently have for long. With lore wipe the first couple of months were 100% from everyone, everyone wanted cool new interactions and a fresh start which new characters and groups and people to which a lot of people met each other and branched off but people just get bored/lazy/tired and don't want to bother putting in that effort and if the majority do not want to put in effort either will these new players not really seeing how the server could be leaving loads of nostalgic people just saying how old times were better (I don't know if they were or not but eh).

As Long as the server stays above 45 people at peak times I dont think there is a massive issue, especially when these big group rosters are not coming on. I personally have not been playing because of boredom on my own part and repetitive RP that leads nowhere. I still textRP IC events with my group and that has been keeping my IC going for now with my storyline but actually getting ingame is meh.

This place as a community is very social  TS/Forums wide and if everyone wanted to go "Let's just play" we would need at least 3 servers to hold every playing. Right now we are just on another low and it will pick up eventually like it always does.

There is another catch 22 reason people may be less eager to come into server. 

It's a catch 22 cause it's a self sustaining problem. Lack of interaction. 

New people come in (hell even folks that have been here for ages too) go through all the trouble to get whitelisted. They jump on the server annnnd.... Spend hours on server, meet no one and to be honest the loot is poor (I thought persistence was getting refreshed monthly, but probably in such a mess it will take a few resets to become what it should be) and even in high pop servers I have found myself walking for hours and not meet another player. 

It can be disheartening to go through the whitelist process (for some more than once or twice) only to be met with little to no player interaction and a rather pathetic choice of loot on the ground to pick up. Even military areas on this server are horrible for loot. I know, I know, shouldn't be so worried about gear, but without player to player interaction, what else is there to do on server? (at the time of this post christmas presents are still in game so loot is okay for the moment but when they go...)

So, with a combination of not many people on server or huddled together some place in the back of beyond, and the poor loot economy, the dayzrp server can be quite dull at times. This happens a few times in a row with new players they will give up eventually. 

Yes I am aware they could arrange meets and such over radio, but not everyone is going to want to arrange something that way, or their messages may even be lost in the chatter. 

The community has been focussing on more serious roleplay and especially the realism of the roleplay, of groups and people.
Back in the day it was way more relaxed and there were so many groups! Backstories were mostly created on the go so everyone was born on the beach as a super soldier.
It was way less of a hassle to get in game and experience the game itself, but this meant that some things roleplay wise didn't really add up and the quality might not have been the best.
But there was also motivation to provide better roleplay as everyone wanted to be the main guy in the story (at least.. i always dreamt of fame huehue). The free medics came up with their own insane believe while SVR became notorious. Things were more diverse (things are diverse now as well but for me it all feels the same, the only peeps who I felt like they changed something was a group called "The Family", especially the clown guy Thomas, creating a dynamic group as personal army).

As of now the seriousness has been upped and is now on the point where lorewise things have to fit in to make it look as real as possible, stories are more immersive and people can progress the lore! But this comes with a price that you do have to write a some what fitting backstory to the ore first. Groups are strict as fuck and honestly feels like a waste of time to work on if you don't have people to create it with.. and even if you have it's just..meh (but that can be just me since i played with dynamic groups later on).

Also I think theres quite a lot people who stop playing but never get asked for why they are uninterested to play.
Maybe put a checkbox in the whitelist page "Can we ask you for feedback after you first experience"?

11 minutes ago, The Buddha said:

Yes I am aware they could arrange meets and such over radio, but not everyone is going to want to arrange something that way, or their messages may even be lost in the chatter. 

exactly this... can't find anyone in game for hours.. only to get disappointed by the hassle it is to start a radio chatter, and then find out the guy youve been radio chatting with is offline.. just not worth the time.

Edited by PalmtreeWhale

Part of the problem is how complicated everything has got. These days its more about how much of a shakesphere you are on the forums rather than how you represent yourself or your group in game.

3-4 years ago the community was so much more laid back and it was a lot of fun. Including a large variety of groups.

Thats why a lot of people are less inclined to return.

1 hour ago, Ryan Shepherd said:

These days its more about how much of a shakesphere you are on the forums rather than how you represent yourself or your group in game.

People are more active on the forums than in-game, which is most likely caused by how low the standard of RP is these days. Being in-game is not as enjoyable as it used to be, 10 minute robberies are happening and the people doing it are getting away with it by dodging the rules in whatever way they can. It's sad to see. I remember being in a report for 5- 6 days for GearRP, because I robbed someone and took their derringer and chest holster and the robbery only took 15 minutes. Even though I was set trough the entire robbery talking to the person and gave him everything except the derringer and chestholster back at the end. Whilst there are currently people doing robberies way shorter and taking almost everything, and getting away with it. I'm not here to cry out that I lost my gear, I'm here to say that this is not enjoyable RP. I can see a lot of new player coming into this server for the first time, meeting those people and thinking to themselves; "Was that RP?, that was just like public without KOS". This is most likely what is causing the decline in server activity. Because there are a lot of people signing and whitelisting, yet there is almost no noticable increase in player activity in-game.

Edited by Yung Shade

5 hours ago, Yung Shade said:

People are more active on the forums than in-game, which is most likely caused by how low the standard of RP is these days. Being in-game is not as enjoyable as it used to be, 10 minute robberies are happening and the people doing it are getting away with it by dodging the rules in whatever way they can. It's sad to see. I remember being in a report for 5- 6 days for GearRP, because I robbed someone and took their derringer and chest holster and the robbery only took 15 minutes. Even though I was set trough the entire robbery talking to the person and gave him everything except the derringer and chestholster back at the end. Whilst there are currently people doing robberies way shorter and taking almost everything, and getting away with it. I'm not here to cry out that I lost my gear, I'm here to say that this is not enjoyable RP. I can see a lot of new player coming into this server for the first time, meeting those people and thinking to themselves; "Was that RP?, that was just like public without KOS". This is most likely what is causing the decline in server activity. Because there are a lot of people signing and whitelisting, yet there is almost no noticable increase in player activity in-game.

I completely agree, just like some people spend more time on Twitter than actually talking to people at the dinner table. However, this could be changed (potentially) with a rule audit. 

1 hour ago, Gentleman said:

rule audit. 

The rules need to change in a away that they can not be used by people to hide behind, like a shield, and abuse them as they like.

Stats are important, and how you interpret them is very important too. I wouldn't even look at any number from the past 2-3 weeks as those numbers will be artificially skewed by the holidays.

1 hour ago, Oliv said:

Stats are important, and how you interpret them is very important too. I wouldn't even look at any number from the past 2-3 weeks as those numbers will be artificially skewed by the holidays.

That's not necessarily true. It's because of what's happening inside the server.

1 hour ago, Oliv said:

So you're saying the statistics may be even worse than they already are after the holiday rush?

Its a gaming community, comon. To worry about statistics of this community makes me think that someone needs to go outside. 

6 minutes ago, Gentleman said:

So you're saying the statistics may be even worse than they already are after the holiday rush?

There are several things that can happen over the holidays.

1. People who don't play often might have more time to play.
  2. People who do play often are busy and can't play much if at all.
  3. People who might have some extra time find us and apply to then go back to life/shcool/whatever and can't play after the holidays.

I'm just simply saying in stats, you have to pay attention to the sample collected. I don't think this is a good sample.

1 hour ago, Oliv said:

There are several things that can happen over the holidays.

1. People who don't play often might have more time to play.
  2. People who do play often are busy and can't play much if at all.
  3. People who might have some extra time find us and apply to then go back to life/shcool/whatever and can't play after the holidays.

I'm just simply saying in stats, you have to pay attention to the sample collected. I don't think this is a good sample.

Well, it hasn't just died the past month or so, it's been happening for many months.

11 hours ago, Leucifer said:

Well, it hasn't just died the past month or so, it's been happening for many months.

The stats mentioned are all recent stats. I was simply saying that it's not a good sample.

SA is crap and as it slowly dies the community will with it 

Give it another year or two and this community will probably be gone. I remember looking at group pages and seeing so many. Now there's like what 5, maybe 6.

http://steamcharts.com/app/221100

Games been dying for a long time, slow updates, poor development, its whats making most players leave. The highest its been in the last 30 days is about 4800, but its on a steady decline. This game is on life support. 

Unless bohemia tears out thee rotting foundation of dayz and builds anew, it'll just die. Start from the bottom up I think is the best course of action, and update frequently. But I'm pretty sure that wont happen. It's about time to jump to a new game to RP zombie apocalypse on.

Edited by Sylvester Todd

16 minutes ago, Sylvester Todd said:

Wow.. that chart is depressing.

Guest Beni
33 minutes ago, Joffrey said:

Wow.. that chart is depressing.

You know how to save the community Joffrey.

I'm kidding.... Not.

Edited by Beni

31 minutes ago, Sylvester Todd said:

Give it another year or two and this community will probably be gone. I remember looking at group pages and seeing so many. Now there's like what 5, maybe 6.

http://steamcharts.com/app/221100

Games been dying for a long time, slow updates, poor development, its whats making most players leave. The highest its been in the last 30 days is about 4800, but its on a steady decline. This game is on life support. 

Unless bohemia tears out thee rotting foundation of dayz and builds anew, it'll just die. Start from the bottom up I think is the best course of action, and update frequently. But I'm pretty sure that wont happen. It's about time to jump to a new game to RP zombie apocalypse on.

If one there was another option.

8 minutes ago, Beni said:

One problem... The URL of the site. 

Oh no! Well fuck nothing we can do, guess this community is doomed to die with standalone. 

Converse started as a rubber company, now their a shoe company; I don't think the Converse BOD sat down and said "Theres so much more room for growth in shoes to bad were Converse the rubber company not Converse the shoe company!" 

no one is going to come into this community and say "You guys can't be an Arma 3 community because your named DayZRP".

Also before anyone says "There's no good Arma 3 DayZ mods"  So what? lets build our own. I doubt the community doesn't have the resources to hire or recruit developers. You keep the Standalone server running till Arma 3 mod is in a stable version then you make the switch or bring both online. Not only would we be able to bring in new people, we'd also be the only  community running our mod, we'd have a monopoly on it.

I don't understand how people see switching as a problem. Regardless of if you like DayZ SA or not, we all recognize its dead in the water and changes need to be made.

Edited by Henning

8 minutes ago, Henning said:

no one is going to come into this community and say "You guys can't be an Arma 3 community because your named DayZRP".

No, but those who have been in the community long enough to see any other side project for any game which isn't standalone fail can quite easily say we should just stick to Standalone. 

-removed, not worth the hassle-

Edited by Mexi