Server time (UTC): 2020-10-20, 14:18
Sign in to follow this  
th3inory

Military Groups. Why they are done wrong.

I don't really do the whole forum thing but here goes.

This is something I have been thinking about a lot. In my time here I have seen a lot of military groups come and go and I am yet to see one that really did it realistically. The most likely reason for this is that this is a video game and it is supposed to be fun, and for the most part the military is no meme. It could also be a misunderstanding of who those who serve are fundamentally. As some of you already know I am active duty and have been for the last 7 years. The specifics of my job and my unit I keep a tight seal on but I thought it might be constructive for everyone to break that seal just a bit and talk generally about military life, and the things that I have found that are common themes among all the services.

1. Comradery- Ask any vet what they miss most about service and 90% of the time this is what you get. You feel like you have a shared kinship with people you hardly know. You know that you can trust the individuals you work with, and they trust you, often with their lives. There is a knowing look shared between services. I remember going home on leave one year early in my career. I was catching a fight out of ATL and decided to grab a drink at the bar. I was traveling in uniform and shortly after I sat down a dude from the Army sat down next to me. We must have swapped stories for an hour laughing our asses off. It was only after I said goodbye and walked towards my gate that I realized I never got his name. There is such an immediate connection that I never felt the need to ask. Just another brother.

2. Individuality- The military is a massive melting pot. I would say that most of my growing as a young man came from being thrust into a sea of diversity. Different races, creeds, religions, temperaments, attitudes, sexualities and mannerisms all striving to accomplish one mission. Our diversity makes us strong. It forces us to approach problems from different angles. It makes us think outside the box. we aren't copy and paste people, we are all very very different.

3. The way we act- We are taught from the very beginning the basics of the warrior ethos. We are taught where our limits are, and promptly pushed past them. We are taught situational awareness, to not talk about what you do in public, how to survive captivity and evade capture, how to fight back when it seems impossible, how to trust those around you and accomplish the mission at all costs. We are all taught the basics. It is evident in basic training. Everyone is required to fire the M16, regardless of whether you are an operator or ride a desk. This carries over into how we interact with people and ultimately becomes like second nature.

4. We are not gods- We are human. We bleed. We miss our loved ones when we are away. We hurt. We laugh. We cry. We get angry. We are human.

5. We know how to separate work from fun, and also when to combine the two- When the chips fall and the shit hits the fan a switch gets flipped. You go into work mode. Everyone focuses on the mission at hand and worries about making fun of the new guy's haircut later. That being said it is pretty common to joke around and generally shit talk your buddies 99% of the time.

These are a few of the things that seperate my real experiences from groups I have come across. Feel free to ask me general questions below and feel free to PM me.

I dunno. Military groups are like any other group. Some groups do them wrong, and some groups do them so well, they get nominated group of the Year.

I feel military group are done ok, for the most part.

I will say that a lot of military groups are not played out as well as they could be.

specifically *cough* communists *cough*

but I digress

I think a group that could incorporate the kind of stuff while still doing PVP stuff would be great.
Like you sorta pointed out here there is not a lot of depth to a lot of these groups, more so the characters within the groups. They don't feel like real people. 

Anyways, I think it would be nice to see a group like the PCC who meshed their current play style with the things listed here.
In fact I think it would be a great balance between the scummy PVP groups and the typical boring ass campfire RP 

@Shanoby wanted to do a realistic military group but no one joined.

This seems overly critical and generalized. I have seen plenty of realistic military groups over the years, and even had the joy of being a part of the VDV. 

I feel part of the issue is that others don't like to interact with the groups for fear of consequence, thus don't actually get to see them for what they truly are. 

I beleave when we were in UN, we covered most of the points you brought up. I know we had some bad apples but, other than that I beleave we did follow all 5 points you brought up. Yes we had fun and let loose, but when needed we acted professional... most of the time... again, can not speak for all of us...

Edited by Shanoby

This thread sounds like someone that hasn't been in a Military group on this server but is happy to give an outside perspective after they cross one group.

32 minutes ago, Faith said:

@Shanoby wanted to do a realistic military group but no one joined.

Because everyone wants to play with their friends or are in groups already, not many people that don't have their own little circle. As I'm sure you're aware.

Edited by Mexi

16 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

I beleave when we were in UN, we covered most of the points you brought up. I know we had some bad apples but, other than that I beleave we did follow all 5 points you brought up. Yes we had fun and let loose, but when needed we acted professional... most of the time... again, can not speak for all of us...

I wasn't here for the UN.

VDV was done amazingly same with the UN for the most part.

18 minutes ago, Dom said:

VDV was done amazingly same with the UN for the most part.

Fully agree.

Never really seen any bad military groups, seen plenty of bad campfire ones :trolle:

For the most part military groups have done an alright job on the server, it seems you are more so describing the generic white name who always makes his character some bad-ass Marine Force Recon sniper or Navy Seal, or blah, blah, any other special operations personnel.

7 hours ago, Mexi said:

Because everyone wants to play with their friends or are in groups already, not many people that don't have their own little circle. As I'm sure you're aware.

I've always bounced around from circle to circle, it's better that way. Gives you perspective on everyone's RP styles and let's you see where they are coming from if they have a problem with something. It also allows you to enjoy every type of RP. I've learned that 90% of the time no one is truly 100% always right in the community. It also keeps people from getting so angry over a vidja game when they know the people personally. 

Edited by Zero

9 hours ago, Mexi said:

This thread sounds like someone that hasn't been in a Military group on this server but is happy to give an outside perspective after they cross one group.

I have been in two separate iterations of the CDF and I have come across more than one group that, in my opinion, has done it the wrong way. 

2 minutes ago, th3inory said:

I have been in two separate iterations of the CDF and I have come across more than one group that, in my opinion, has done it the wrong way. 

Understandable as to why you have these opinions then, carry on.

Guest Beni
11 hours ago, N-Tox said:

specifically *cough* communists *cough*

Light jabs never got anyone anywhere, trust me. Maybe give them tips on how they can improve instead of just saying that? For example what do you feel that they're doing wrong? And how can they neutralise their issues and become a better group. 

Military groups bore me... Now paramilitary... That's where it's at. 

Edited by Beni

On 1/3/2018 at 3:55 PM, Erik said:

This seems overly critical and generalized. I have seen plenty of realistic military groups over the years, and even had the joy of being a part of the VDV. 

I feel part of the issue is that others don't like to interact with the groups for fear of consequence, thus don't actually get to see them for what they truly are. 

This is very true.

People tend to hate on military groups for some reason. But on the other hand military groups tend to be shitty ( speaking out of experience with NATO ). And this happens because of Leadership and power hungry members that want to run the whole thing on their own and others not agreeing with him ( even tho that's how it's mostly done IRL ). The OOC stuff mostly has to do with leadership, some people want him as a leader and the others want him as a leader, some internal fights about FOB locations, members deciding what they want to do and not taking orders properly, members being disrespectful to Officers and NCO's ( and sometimes the other way around ) And a shit ton of OOC salt because of other groups or members.... But when they don't want a realistic military structure they turn to democracy, which ruins the entire military RP. There are more issues but those issues are the main ones, because of that, it's very annoying OOC.  IC it's other groups being hostile with no reason at all and when you ask them why they do it they are like "because we want to", or just very bad RP overall ( there are more things but I think that it's best if I do not go in depth ). And that's why Military groups fail mostly IC and OOC on DayzRP. ( Please don't go apeshit on my comment, I have seen it for myself as a member and a Leader of NATO and the NATO remnants. ) Oh yeah and people with no military experience or anything like that tend to pretend that they are military gods even tho they don't even know what a Staggered column or file is ( formations ).

Edited by Blackburn

Lmfao Military groups can't be treated 100% exact like their real world counterparts. There have been some good examples but individual roleplay comes first above all else and that was the biggest problem with the military groups. Rather then acting as a unit or some form of organized being, they basically are just member made groups with little to go on as things change in the lore and then results in group members creating their own goals outside of the military. Thus resulting in either drama or, as we've had, idiotic and unreasonable rogue soldiers.

Groups don't need to be done with precision and parallel to realism to be done well. 

I'm sure VDV had some stuff and actions that would make a real Russian military analyst go mental, but they deservedly got group of the year. It's more about how they handle themselves and how much effort and care goes into the RP than the realism to the RP itself. 

Thats just my irrelevant two cents anyways.

6 hours ago, Bubblethicc said:

Groups don't need to be done with precision and parallel to realism to be done well. 

I'm sure VDV had some stuff and actions that would make a real Russian military analyst go mental, but they deservedly got group of the year. It's more about how they handle themselves and how much effort and care goes into the RP than the realism to the RP itself. 

Thats just my irrelevant two cents anyways.

Urite urite urite

Not everything needs to be as realistic and accurate as possible. It’s the same thing with the rules. The more strict the rules, the harder it is to have fun and enjoy the RP. 

7 hours ago, -Chow- said:

Lmfao Military groups can't be treated 100% exact like their real world counterparts. There have been some good examples but individual roleplay comes first above all else and that was the biggest problem with the military groups. Rather then acting as a unit or some form of organized being, they basically are just member made groups with little to go on as things change in the lore and then results in group members creating their own goals outside of the military. Thus resulting in either drama or, as we've had, idiotic and unreasonable rogue soldiers.

You are right they really can't, for that you have Arma 3 MILSIM. But if you are creating a Military RP group you should know basic knowledge as a NCO or Officer within the group otherwise you shouldn't RP as a military group because it will not even be close to what a military group resembles and that will make it look bad or unrealistic as hell.

I do get that people want to have proper fun while they are doing RP but when you are resembling a group like the 101st airborne you need to know a thing or two ( more than yes sir no sir ). Otherwise the people that you are role playing with will listen and be like " wtf is this guy on about.."".

Edited by Blackburn