Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2019-12-12, 02:34 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Major

DayZRP Infection Lore: What is currently known

Recommended Posts

(Entire Thread is the work of @Taryn)

Hello again, my fellow community members.

While writing lore on the back end, I noticed that there was no solid documentation of the infection released to the general public. For this reason, I have solidified the symptoms and stages of the virus and written them down for you all. Important notes are in blue, while symptoms are in purple.

 

The infection works in stages and usually manifests within sixteen hours, but factors can delay incubation such as severity of inflicted wounds, immunocompromised status, or stability of “host”/Patient.

  • Stage one is usually the first hour of the first 6 hours. The host will begin displaying signs. These include but are not limited to High Fever, sweats, nausea, vomiting, pallid/sickly skin tone.

 

  • Stage two usually comes in four to ten hours. The host will, if they have not already, begin vomiting and experience full body aches and shivers. Equilibrium calibration is off, causing fainting spells or loss of balance. This will last around twenty-four hours after stage two has initiated if the host does not turn. At this point, it is believed that the host is ‘immune’ to the infection and is building antibodies and fighting infection, thus they will not be turning.They are not immune, however, and are simply a carrier. It is important to note that no other symptoms from the next two stages will manifest. If they do, your subjects are not immune.

 

  • Stage three is otherwise called the “Turning Point” manifests at ten to twelve hours after initial infection. If these symptoms begin to show, the Host has been overtaken and cannot be saved. They will turn in due time. This includes blackening of the blood/veins as the blood begins to coagulate and thicken as well as a black film or secretion from mucosal linings, such as the eyes, mouth, and genitals. Notably, it will appear in the mouth first and is accompanied by vomiting of thick, viscous, black fluid and bile. Lymph nodes will begin to swell and close the airways, making breathing labored and wheezy.

 

  • Stage four is where the host is very much alive but has been completely taken over by the infection. They then begin to exhibit rabid-like symptoms. Increased sensitivity to sound produces Increased aggression, intense jerky motions, inability to focus, unresponsive behaviors, excessive salivation (Sometimes still black/dark brown if recently turned) and lack of fine motor skills. It is speculated that the infected can’t see well anymore, this is a theory backed only be compensative hearing. It may be noted that upon inspection of the newly turned infected, lymph node swelling around the neck and underarm is prominent and extremely noticeable, sometimes even from a distance. This usually begins twelve to sixteen hours after initial infection.

Please note the following:

  1. The infection is not curable by removal of the infected limb or flesh. It is not treatable by antibiotics. Pain medication and sedation is used to comfort the host in their final hours as a form of humane preparation for death after turning.
  2. The infected are still alive and can be destroyed conventionally. Body damage has the same effect to the turned infected as it does to non-infected humans. There is no need in particular to target the brain.
  3. When turning, the heart does not stop, and breathing never ceases; instead, they increase in rapidity accompanied by excessive vomiting, catatonic/unresponsive state, and eventually extreme violence. 
  4. The infected cannot seem to grasp small objects or think on a really cognitive level, aside from primal and basic thoughts. Major motor skills like running, jumping, climbing and holding larger objects are not impaired, but their ability to turn a doorknob, write in any print, or intentionally throw objects at a target is null.
Quote

 

It has been revealed via IC means that there is no immunity to the virus and that it is transmitted much like an STI. Bodily fluids, scratches, bites and the like are responsible for transmission. Once the virus is inside of you, it is in there forever. You cannot cure it (At the moment). 

For those that wish to RP it: Extreme physical pain, Emotional Duress and Near-Death experiences may trigger the dormant infection to protect it's host and catalyze an immediate turn to Stage 4. See above.

To put it bluntly, if you have played being attacked and bit by an infected, you should have also Rped:

  • Being sick for 24/48 hours with sever flue like symptoms including Nausea, vommitting, diarrhea, loss of balance, extreme headaches
  • Not turning, and feeling much better after 2 days, along with a neat new healing wound which eventually becomes a neato scar
  • Are now a carrier (Since you're not immune) which means you can infect others with something as simple as kissing/sharing a water bottle.

Previously Rped symptoms, if not listed here, are no longer canon, but should not be directly mentioned to prevent confusion if at all possible. It is also worth noting that different people will exhibit different stages at different time frame if they are immunocompromised. Furthermore, if you want to display different symptoms than what is listed here, you may contact me at any time to go over the feasibility. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here. If they can be answered, I will do my best to answer them for you.

(Please note that this thread may be edited at a later date if something needs changing.)

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Taryn said:

 

  1. The infection is not curable by removal of the infected limb or flesh. It is not treatable by antibiotics. Pain medication and sedation is used to comfort the host in their final hours as a form of humane preparation for death after turning.

So does this mean if someone was to be bitten and their limb was cut off and medically treated within 5 minutes, there is no hope?

 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Keione said:

So does this mean if someone was to be bitten and their limb was cut off and medically treated within 5 minutes, there is no hope?

 

Great question.

No, this means that your character has to be immune because removal of the flesh/limb that was bit does not prevent spreading of the infection. It works by entering your bloodstream which takes less than a minute to circulate to your brain and to your heart. Upon research, i found that a single blood cell could "circumnavigate" your entire body in twenty seconds. Even if you immediately removed the limb that was bit, by the time you've cut the limb off, it's already made it halfway through your entire body. Depending on the closest vessels/veins to the infection site, it's impossible to know where it will go first. Think of it like snake venom. Sucking the venom out does nothing because it is already in your bloodstream. That is why you need anti-venom.

I hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post

@Brady we figured this shit out way before this post. 

#sof004 #lol #doctors #edgy

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

@Brady we figured this shit out way before this post. 

#sof004 #lol #doctors #edgy

We knew bout it before taryn was even in the community. Quick shout out to @Aiko for helping us learn all this before anyone else, also happy birthday aiko!

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Brady said:

We knew bout it before taryn was even in the community. Quick shout out to @Aiko for helping us learn all this before anyone else, also happy birthday aiko!

@Brady for LM. lol

Share this post


Link to post

Ngl , wouldn't this thread have been more useful at the start of the lore wipe.
Cause some people have rped being infected , but now they may have rp it wrong.

Bit weird you guys throwing it up a couple of months in . It's like saying "oh you know that character death you roleplayed?" "Well , it's wrong , here is the proper way" 

For example , i wanted to RP out Winston's death via the infection , but i did not want to do it as i was not sure how it actually works. And all the information i gathered are from in game and that was not useful in like 4 hours because of my shit memory.

(This is bad feedback kids , hold on to your chair)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Saints said:

Ngl , wouldn't this thread have been more useful at the start of the lore wipe.
Cause some people have rped being infected , but now they may have rp it wrong.

Bit weird you guys throwing it up a couple of months in . It's like saying "oh you know that character death you roleplayed?" "Well , it's wrong , here is the proper way" 

For example , i wanted to RP out Winston's death via the infection , but i did not want to do it as i was not sure how it actually works. And all the information i gathered are from in game and that was not useful in like 4 hours because of my shit memory.

(This is bad feedback kids , hold on to your chair)

Yea, the previous lore team didnt actually have it written down anywhere so there was a lot of inconsistent answers to some questions asked or things that weren't clear. That is why I have posted it here, publicly, so that won't happen anymore. 

Thank you for your feedback though. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Taryn said:

Yea, the previous lore team didnt actually have it written down anywhere so there was a lot of inconsistent answers to some questions asked or things that weren't clear. That is why I have posted it here, publicly, so that won't happen anymore. 

Thank you for your feedback though. 

Previous lore teams didn't have it written down because previous lore teams got shit for trying to define the virus, even in the most simplest of ways and not completely going in depth.  Hopefully, people don't throw a fit this time either.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Cid said:

Previous lore teams didn't have it written down because previous lore teams got shit for trying to define the virus, even in the most simplest of ways and not completely going in depth.  Hopefully, people don't throw a fit this time either.

Sounds like it was hard to deal with if that is the case. All I know is when I asked for infection documentation I was told there wasn't any. So I made some. Had to collect information, compile some medical research, and Go through some radio chatters. I also was waiting on my teammates to give their opinion, too. Otherwise this would have been posted weeks ago, @Saints.

I hope you're right about this time around though, Cid. 

I apologize for it not being posted sooner. 

Share this post


Link to post

@Taryn Is there anyway to put this in the official lore page , like put a link in . Would make it better for people who are getting whitelisted to know how the infection works so it does not make aqward encounters and scenarios from people trying to rp an infection.

Share this post


Link to post

Good idea. I'll look into it. Thank you, @Saints  

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, pijkaCZ said:

Looking at this I think me and @Faith Rped the Watcher slightly wrong xD

I went off what I got from Major tbh cause I had no clue - everything was last minute.

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, TiviylScratch said:

I share the same view point as @Saints here.  This should have been posted towards the beginning of this lore.

I'm sorry for the delay in this, but I posted It as soon as the information was solidified and, as we discussed over Teamspeak, there were a few things beside that holding me back. 

If I was lucky enough to be a LM back then I would have posted it then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Taryn said:

I'm sorry for the delay in this, but I posted It as soon as the information was solidified and, as we discussed over Teamspeak, there were a few things beside that holding me back. 

If I was lucky enough to be a LM back then I would have posted it then. 

What stopped the other LM's from doing it though ? 
Thought it would be the most important thing to post considering we are roleplaying in a zombie apocalypse caused by the said infection that we did not know how it worked ooc until 177 days in , makes no sense to me tbh.

@Major , why did it take so long to post an official post on how the infection worked over 100 days in? 

I mean thank you @Taryn for posting this , really do appreciate it. Make the future infection rp not aqward , but now people have already rped the infection wrong.... saw someone turn in like a week lol. 

Also saw someone get an arm cut off and he was free from the infection , with the UN telling people that it works.

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing is perfect. She' doing the best she can with what she' got. Better late than never! If this steps on anyone's toes, get at the team, and we'll do our best to make it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Saints said:

What stopped the other LM's from doing it though ? 
Thought it would be the most important thing to post considering we are roleplaying in a zombie apocalypse caused by the said infection that we did not know how it worked ooc until 177 days in , makes no sense to me tbh.

@Major , why did it take so long to post an official post on how the infection worked over 100 days in? 

I mean thank you @Taryn for posting this , really do appreciate it. Make the future infection rp not aqward , but now people have already rped the infection wrong.... saw someone turn in like a week lol. 

Also saw someone get an arm cut off and he was free from the infection , with the UN telling people that it works.

I think I can help the loremasters with this since I'm not a loremaster myself and therefore you get another POV from it. 

1) I don't know who said cutting off a limb would work. I know myself someone asked on a radio chatter that it would be pointless due to the blood carrying things around with 5-10 seconds around the body.

2) It took so long because Major was not the loremaster who was focusing on writing the infection, it was the other(s) at the time. Hence when they quit/left etc it was never posted. Major's concerns was Ground Zero as well as the CDF, helping with the United Nations missions when he was the only loremaster as well as trying to write the world broadcasts - including the timeline as well as what is required from the loremaster teams (as well as checking on groups).

I hope this helps; I myself struggled to get straight answers at some points and even waited a week for one sentence. It's frustrating, but we just have to suck it up and deal with it. The things I were told and wrote in my reports, I have to say it was other things to let Taryn's lore go through otherwise it looks bad on my side and the person who told me these things without posting the infection lore.

I would give props for the loremaster team due to them having to do this such last minute and the stress of people going 'Why now? Bit late and pointless' which some can't help :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Faith said:

-snip-

Clears it up , thank you.

To keep in mind though i was not bashing you @Taryn or any of the lore masters . Just curious as to why , but now Faith has cleared it up , i understand . 

Keep up the good work :) 

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Saints said:

Clears it up , thank you.

To keep in mind though i was not bashing you @Taryn or any of the lore masters . Just curious as to why , but now Faith has cleared it up , i understand . 

Keep up the good work :) 

Yeah what she said. :D

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you all for your understanding and your retroactive and continued patience. We're trying to get things settled now, but its a large undertaking. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Question:  If somebody dies naturally , eg starvation . Do they turn into an infected?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Saints said:

Question:  If somebody dies naturally , eg starvation . Do they turn into an infected?

No. The virus needs a living host. It does not re-animate the dead. 

Share this post


Link to post

Won't the infected dehydrate though ? I mean they are practically human right?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...