Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 21:17
Sign in to follow this  
G19RP

Newcomer Guide Video Inconsistent?

Inconsistent with rules?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With some current re-veiwing of the "A Basic Guide For Roleplay In DayZ (2017)", I, as well as many others have noticed a great inconsistency in the video. In the video, specifically at the 9:40 mark, the situation shown does not appear to be ruleplay...at all. Many situations similar to this one have been reported and I do not beleive it has ever been verdicted as ruleplay. I was recently talking with a new community member and he felt that a situation was in fact "Ruleplay" because of this particular video. I feel that this must be changed in order to prevent any further confusion with new community members. Let me know what you guys think. :) 

This does make me question it for sure.. 

I agree with this. 

It can be very misleading, it honestly makes me question it.

Need to agree with you, love to see GM's opinions and Admins. 

Yeah lmao

That video is wrong, at least in that section that you linked. That is not ruleplay, and it should not state that it is in the video because it is very misleading. Tbh, somebody should have watched the video to fact check it before it was linked in the newcomer guide. 

That's one of the first things that someone might see when signing up, so the fact that there's a mistake in it (a mistake that has already led to at least one mistaken report) is worrying and needs to be fixed.

/yeet the video tbh.

Outdated and incorrect at certain points.

From what I got from that video is that you have to announce that you have friends along with not shoot those that took your friends captive which is not the case at all.

I think the point of that area of the video is that while it's in the rules and you can have your friends shoot a person who's raised a gun to you with a initiation it's way more enjoyable from a RP Standpoint to allow RP to continue even if it means you comply even if you have friends who can kill the people who have you held up. Roach even says, "While technically it's in the rules I suppose, KoS (the name of the dude) is showing a lack of imagination..." Stating that RP is the focus point, not what rules come into play that allow KoS to kill the dude who's raised his gun to him.

3 minutes ago, Brayces said:

-snip-

The rights are not in question, it's the way there used which he states is ruleplay and will confuse new people who have never played here.

Edited by Eagle

3 minutes ago, Eagle said:

- Snippity Snip! -

Hopin' I understand you here, Eagle (forgive me it's 4AM where I am and I'm at work) but is the issue the way RP (the dude named RP) is using his Kill Rights to hold up KoS (the other dude) from a previous hostility or is it the way that KoS (the dude) is complying to RP(the dude) even though he has friends around who can help him out? 

If I were a newcomer, I'd take it from that video that what occurred was ruleplay. Ruleplay is a nasty discussion that I'd rather not touch with a 20 foot barge pole on a good day, but IMO that wouldn't have warranted a ruleplay verdict if it had come to a report. Killing initiators is just as valid an option as trying to capture them, as both make RP sense, so neither should be punished.

42 minutes ago, Brayces said:

Hopin' I understand you here, Eagle (forgive me it's 4AM where I am and I'm at work) but is the issue the way RP (the dude named RP) is using his Kill Rights to hold up KoS (the other dude) from a previous hostility or is it the way that KoS (the dude) is complying to RP(the dude) even though he has friends around who can help him out? 

Sorry, it ain't it was a shity explanation from my side, I'll elaborate.
If someone holds me up in the center of stary and I have my friends around me and they then use those rights to gat the chap right there and then, without a word as he started the situation on his own accord which would not be ruleplay at all. Sure some situation can lead to rule play but the way it's explained there is that people need to announce that their friends are around before any form of shooting can start seeing as it jumps from situation 1 straight to the case after. Ruleplay is a vague term and there is no one situation that determines that unless it's explained in-deft.

Edited by Eagle

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

- Snip! -

Oh! I see now, yeah. I agree with you, that it shouldn't be required to announce you have friends in the area before killing/shooting can occur if someone holds you up. They should know that once they aim a weapon at you and initiate that they're fair game to get shot down by your friends. Though, of course, it's always best to put RP before any rash decision making which is what I think the point Roach was trying to make was. That, yes KoS (the dude) went ahead and told RP (the dude) that his friends were around but that is not a requirement in order for hostile actions such as getting shot to continue. 

Maybe we can have Roach take a look at the video and amend it? :D Or maybe add some extra commentary on the situation to clear it up, I'd hate to think that Newcomers would be getting confused when watching it, ya know? 

@Roach

Yeah, just watched the video and I have to agree, this is not ruleplay in my honest opinion.

Ruleplay is when someone forcibly bends the rules to get something they want out of the situation, in this situation he was exercising the use of his kill rights.

Yeet it.

For me its pretty simple. If one initates he needs to consider that he could get dropped. No ruleplay there in my opinion.

It cuts the RP ofc, but that is what an initiation brings with itself, you gotta be ready for a possible firefight.

If you wanna do hostile RP, you also gotta be ready to shoot people sometimes.

*sighs heavily.....*

Whether the video is "inconsistent" or not isn't something I'm here to question; if the staff does feel it needs fixing then so be it. My only curiosity here is why this all was not pointed out months ago when the video was created, reviewed by a large portion of the staff and then put into the website? I know for a fact it was inquired several times prior to completion if everything was satisfactory and consistent to staff requirements. 

Again, if changes or something else need to happen then so be it, however I would ask that people do not go spamming Roach with requests to make any adjustments at this time. Not only has he currently stepped away from the community, but he's also just suffered a devastating loss in his family only days ago. He does not need this.

Come to a solid agreement with administrator confirmation on what exactly needs "adjusting" with the video and I will talk with Roach on my own time.

It's a good thing it's a friendly helpful guide video and not the definitive rule section. The video takes some liberties to make a guide to help people, but it is not the rules. Same as if we make a minor rule change, the video would likely not be updated if it then showed something incorrect. A video guide NEVER supersedes the actual rules. I don't think we need to change any of it.

37 minutes ago, Buddy said:

*sighs heavily.....*

Whether the video is "inconsistent" or not isn't something I'm here to question; if the staff does feel it needs fixing then so be it. My only curiosity here is why this all was not pointed out months ago when the video was created, reviewed by a large portion of the staff and then put into the website? I know for a fact it was inquired several times prior to completion if everything was satisfactory and consistent to staff requirements.Again, if changes or something else need to happen then so be it, however I would ask that people do not go spamming Roach with requests to make any adjustments at this time. Not only has he currently stepped away from the community, but he's also just suffered a devastating loss in his family only days ago. He does not need this.

I actually had no idea that this was getting put up until it had already gotten a launch date so I felt that if it was already getting made official it had to be spot on, even though looking at it now it feels somewhat like what some individual feel like RP should be and how they feel those rules work. Either way, no one is spamming him thought some seem to say just yeet it which I don't really agree with, the only tag I've seen here is from Brayces and that's it and it should stay that way.

The guide is good never said it wasn't but a small flaw like that can always have an impact on a person that has no idea how the community functions or how the rules work. In general, something that is getting placed on display on the official site needs to be on point with clear indications of what's wrong and what isn't. Similar to how ClownShoe did his never really touching on rules that were vague but more straight to the point, until it was obsolete.

Edited by Eagle

1 hour ago, Oliv said:

The video takes some liberties to make a guide to help people, but it is not the rules.

It’s true that it’s not the rules, but it has already led to at least one mistaken report so far, and has probably added more confusion to certain understandings of How the rules work on the server.

Due to the fact that it is a guide, literally teaching people how to RP and how to understand the rules, it needs to be fixed or removed temporarily. 

I haven’t watched the entire thing, but at least that one section is incorrect. If it’s one of the first things that new people see when joining, then it should be as accurate as possible. 

It would be different if rule changes were made after the video was put up, but that is not the case here. The video is current and was put up not too long ago, so there should be no mistakes in the video if it is supposed to be current.

1 hour ago, Oliv said:

-snip-

Its an official guide, essentially a "how-to" informative piece, there is incorrect information in it, ergo it needs to be amended. It may not be the rules, but its still a piece newer players are encouraged to watch. A small adjustment is needed to avoid future confusion, I don't see the problem personally.

1 hour ago, Oliv said:

It's a good thing it's a friendly helpful guide video and not the definitive rule section. The video takes some liberties to make a guide to help people, but it is not the rules. Same as if we make a minor rule change, the video would likely not be updated if it then showed something incorrect. A video guide NEVER supersedes the actual rules. I don't think we need to change any of it.

While the video does not supersede the rules, we in the staff team actively encourage people to go and read it and at one point new players had to find a passphrase in the newcomer's guide. We should not have out of date content within in, at most the video should only cover basic concepts which do not change over time as much so we do not need to update it as much. The video in itself spreads contradictions for the rules, especially in ruleplay, we should not be actively advertising it.

It's a good guide in my opinion if you want to end someones life as said in the video a public server is waiting for you. Killing someone should always be the last choice in a ROLEPLAY server.

20 minutes ago, Dusty said:

snip

13 minutes ago, Elmo said:

snip

I personally think, and this would apply to future rule changes as well, that there should be a disclaimer added to the page where the video is posted in the newcomers guide. Something along the lines of it being just a guide and not gospel. I think that's the biggest mistake in all of this.