Server time (UTC): 2020-10-21, 21:13
Sign in to follow this  
cmullican

S1: Rule Play Between Novy Sobor and Gorka - 01/01/2018 22:30

Server and location:  S1 - Between Novy Sobor and Gorka

Approximate time and date of the incident (SERVER TIME):  1/1/2018        22:30 (roughly)

Your in game name: Damon Vesper

Names of allies involved: 

Name of suspect/s: Its Boris

Friendly/Enemy vehicles involved (if any): 

Additional evidence? (video/screenshot): 

Detailed description of the events

I was heading back to Berezino from the NWAF. I was fully geared with Gorka gear and an M4. In between Novy Sobor and Gorka there is a junkyard area. Just as I was approaching the junkyard, I saw Boris in the distance and approached him. He had very basic mismatched medical clothing and he appeared to be unarmed (no weapons on his back). The first thing I said was "Hey man, where you going?" and he did not reply at first and just kept backing away from me.  I politely asked again, "where you going?"  And he seemed to reply but I could not understand what he said. He finally stopped backing up from me and I got a bit closer so that I could hear his in-game voice chat better. Just as I got to be about 2 meters from him, he pulled out his gun (some sort of sub machine gun) and aimed it at my head. By reaction, I immediately raised my weapon and said "Put your hands up".

Without any further communication or attempt to roleplay, he shot me dead. 

I believe this was a case of rule play for the following reasons:

1.) Boris did not make any effort to roleplay the situation, instead he killed me at the first opportunity. (This is considered ruleplay, as described by Boston here:  http://prntscr.com/huxmev)

2.) He had a clear motive to use any excuse to kill me, which was that I had a much more and much better gear and weapons than he did. (This is also against the rules: 6.2.1 As an attacker you may attack other players just for the sake of gear by doing a quick robbery that involves little to no role play.)

3.) It's possible that he may have been trying to bait me in to a situation to give him kill rights by pointing his gun at me for no reason. (6.5 You may not bait other players into situations where you use kill rights or self-defense (see rule 7.2) due to their response to your provoking actions.)

Pointing my gun and making a demand was a direct reaction to Boris's lack of communication and sudden drawing of his weapon and aiming it at my head.  I had no intention of creating any hostile situation with him, but I was provoked in to a situation that gave him kill rights strictly by the rules, which he then took advantage of without any attempt at roleplaying. As stated above, I believe he had an obvious motive to kill me (to take my superior gear/weapon) and I believe this is a case of intentional ruleplay. 

I joined this community in order to enjoy dynamic player interactions that possible in DayZ when the first priority is NOT killing other players for the sake of killing. However this interaction was one that may as well have taken place in a public PVP server, which is disappointing. 

Hopefully something can be done about this. Thank you!

Edited by cmullican

Please update your report title to include the Server time, date and location of the incident, thank you.

Just now, Chewy said:

Please update your report title to include the Server time, date and location of the incident, thank you.

Done :)

Connection Logs:

Spoiler

22:07:56 | Player "Damon Vesper" is connected 
23:14:02 | Player "Damon Vesper" has been disconnected
-DIED-

19:46:12 | Player "Boris Orlov" is connected
23:11:45 | Player "Boris Orlov" has been disconnected
23:13:58 | Player "Boris Orlov" is connected
-SERVER RESTART, NO DISCONNECT LOG-

Hit Logs:

Spoiler

22:44:52 | "Boris Orlov SHOT Damon Vesper by CZ61 into LeftArm."
22:44:52 | "Player Damon Vesperhas fallen into unconsciousness."
22:44:52 | "Boris Orlov SHOT Damon Vesper by CZ61 into Head."
22:44:52 | "Boris Orlov SHOT Damon Vesper by CZ61 into Head."

Death Logs:

Spoiler

22:44:52 | Player "Damon Vesper" has been killed by player "Boris Orlov"

Chat Logs (N/A)

Calling in @Its Boris - Boris Orlov for his POV. Please list any allies you had during the situation and provide any unedited video evidence you may have.

well Boris Orlov POV:

Well @cmullican walkes up to me and being hostile so i take my gun out as he did have his gun out I NEVER raised it against him never either he`s lying or it was a bug. He ask me were im going and I answer that im going to kab and then Vybor. He then says "PUT YOUR HANDS UP" and I killed him.

So I never killed you for your gear YOU told ME to put my hands up. So i killed you. 

Me @ExoticRainbow@Para and @Brady talked with him that I got kill rights and it s not ruleplay. If he tell me to put my hands up. I feel that he did not listen to what was said. 

I simply protected my self

I feel that this is a false report becose i did nothing wrong

2 hours ago, Its Boris said:

well Boris Orlov POV:

Well @cmullican walkes up to me and being hostile so i take my gun out as he did have his gun out I NEVER raised it against him never either he`s lying or it was a bug. He ask me were im going and I answer that im going to kab and then Vybor. He then says "PUT YOUR HANDS UP" and I killed him.

So I never killed you for your gear YOU told ME to put my hands up. So i killed you. 

Me @ExoticRainbow@Para and @Brady talked with him that I got kill rights and it s not ruleplay. If he tell me to put my hands up. I feel that he did not listen to what was said. 

I simply protected my self

I feel that this is a false report becose i did nothing wrong

I was in no way being hostile.  As I described, I approached Boris and my exact words were "hey man, where you going?" and I said this in a casual manner. Not aggressively and with no hostility. 

When he raised his weapon, he did in fact point it at me, I responded immediately by raising my weapon and saying "Put your hands up", and literally 1 second later I was dead.  No roleplay what so ever. 

In our discussion afterwards in TS, Boris also claimed that he killed me because of the pink armband I was wearing. Which apparently represents some group he has a quarrel with.  I had no idea that the pink armband had any significance and I have no affiliation with that group, but that is another reason Boris may have had motive to kill me without any roleplay.

Based on the video provided in the Newcomer Guide, Boris's behavior is clearly rule play.

"Technically it was in the rules, but KOS is showing a lack of imagination and isn't allowing for fun roleplay. This would be rule play."

Here is the video I am referencing. This specific example is shown at 9min 40sec in the video:

Edited by cmullican
typo

43 minutes ago, cmullican said:

I was in no way being hostile.  As I described, I approached Boris and my exact words were "hey man, where you going?" and I said this in a casual manner. Not aggressively and with no hostility. 

When he raised his weapon, he did in fact point it at me, I responded immediately by raising my weapon and saying "Put your hands up", and literally 1 second later I was dead.  No roleplay what so ever. 

In our discussion afterwards in TS, Boris also claimed that he killed me because of the pink armband I was wearing. Which apparently represents some group he has a quarrel with.  I had no idea that the pink armband had any significance and I have no affiliation with that group, but that is another reason Boris may have had motive to kill me without any roleplay.

I said that I pulled my gun out becose you were hostile against me and the pink armband made me to be more careful. The only reason I killed you for was that you told me to put my hands up 

and you were hostile you were talking hostile you were acting hostile you walked closer and closer then you needed to. And I backed of becose I did not feel like getting pulse checked. Thinking that I chould get metagamed so.

You told me to put my hands up and I killed you either I can listen to your command or I can shoot you and I did.

this is the last thing I will say without being called in by staff again

Edit: more info

Edited by Its Boris

@cmullican has been blacklisted due to a recent vac ban. We will continue with the report like usual. However, Cmullican will remain blacklisted until his vac ban reaches the minimum of 365 days.

Verdict:

@Its Boris[Invalid Kill/Ruleplay]: Not Guilty

@cmullican[False Report]: Guilty

Explanation:

To recap, we see cmullican spot Its Boris near the junk yark between Novy Sobre and Gorka, to where cmullican decides to go and start conversation. After a short attempt to speak to the accused, the accused decides to take out his weapon as cmullican was wearing an armband that represented a group he was in conflict with. After the accused takes his weapon out, cmullican decides to initiate on the accused to where the accused decides to kill him. 

In this situation we see that cmullican raises his weapon and gives a demand to the accused, this is classified as a valid initiation on the accused. Since you took a hostile action against the accused, this gives him valid kill rights against you(shown in the rule below).

Spoiler
  • 7.2 Players gain kill rights when a hostile action is taken against them or their group, or when their characters life is directly at risk. These rights last for 2 hours after last interaction during the hostile situation and can be used as long as their use do not conflict with any other rules like NLR or NVFL.

Now let me refer you to our definition of rule play

Spoiler
  • 5.3 You may not focus on out of character gains to the detriment of RP. "Rule play" is prioritizing kill rights, rules or OOC information above more appropriate IC actions or behavior. Always prioritize role play over rule play.

In no way was the accused using his kill rights to appropriate his actions against you, it was completely up to his character on his fate. If he wanted to protect himself against someone that just threatened his life, that is completely up to him. Compliance is not the only route you have to take when someone has initiated on you. In the future, please remember that if you initiate on someone that you are directly putting their life in danger, and that it is up to them on the actions they wish to take against you.

To address the accusation of a false report, we have found cmullican guilty. In a teamspeak conversation moderated by myself and @Para, we explained explicitly to cmullican our rules on kill rights, initiations, and how rule play works. After extensive explanation on our rules and how they work, cmullican still decided to put this report up, knowing full and well that his scenario would not be seen as ruleplay. For this reason, he has been found guilty.

Outcome:

@Its Boris [Invalid Kill/Ruleplay]: No Punishment

@cmullican [False Report]: 7 day ban, 10 warning points

Verdict by @Brady, @Para, and @Lyca