Server time (UTC): 2020-10-21, 01:50
Sign in to follow this  
Squillium

Group "Zones"

Alright ladies, I came up with the idea in my down time while traveling and figured I'd post something up.

So basically we've had KOS zones suggested in the past, and I agree with most of the community that they're a bad idea and aren't right for our server. We've also had settlements, which really didn't work as planned. What I'm suggesting is kind of a combination of the two. Instead of explaining it theoretically I'm just gonna use the Black Fangs as an example since I was thinking of them when I came up with the idea. Basically, they have Stary Sober or "Tortuga" set up as a town they run and they've made it an RP hub. (Or at least it was, idk I've been gone for 2 weeks) There's nothing making this official, which is fine since as I've said settlements didn't really go well. What if, however, instead of having an area protected by rules have it instead be protected by the group that officially runs it. Basically, a designated area would be chosen by a group and approved by staff or Rolle like settlements were. The main point of this would be that there would be less official rules in the zone, which would allow for more random and interesting scenarios other then, ya know, awkwardly standing in town while nothing happens other than some small talk and maybe a trial every once and a while. 

So what would this be used for? Well basically it would allow other groups to approach hostilities in a more interesting way. Say the PCC, since there's currently a conflict between the groups,  could for example, go into town, attack it, killing some Black Fangs or some civilians and leave. Now while you're all sitting there shaking your heads proclaiming that THIS IS FER PVPers REEEE, let me make some key points:

1. The only way this could happen would be if the a group running an area IC (i.e. the Black Fangs) decided they wanted to actually make their hub one of these "zones".

2. If it were to be implemented then it would be clearly stated somewhere on the forums, such as a thread, so people would know they don't have the same protections under the rules and therefore are at risk of being put in harms way if they go into the area. (i.e. shot)

3. Everything would still be put under the umbrella of good/bad RP,  everything done due to this addition has to make sense. No dickheads, even those in a direct conflict with the group in question, should just walk into one of these "zones" and start gatting every loser in sight. Only those with an ongoing conflict should even have the ability to kill anyone in the zones in the first place and then it shouldn't just be a mass KOS, as that doesn't help anyone. It should be done appropriately, like taking out someone important or only killing a few people to send a message.

So in conclusion, I guess the question is "Why would a group want to do this to their home and why would anyone want to go there if it was a thing?" Put quite simply, there is absolutely 0 fear on the server currently and the way groups fight is so far from what would happen in real life it's silly. Obviously we're here to RP, but the key point is that we're here to RP in DayZ, and what made DayZ what it is the fear and randomness it offers that until it came out wasn't really prevalent in other games. I know this sounds kind of convoluted and may be a nightmare to implement if there was any kind of discrepancy when people actually use it to it's full effect, but overall I think it would legitimately add some weight to an area and keep people interested in it due to the uncertainty and risk it presents.

TLDR; If a group wants to, allow them to actually protect an area without the rules protecting them and anyone else that comes there.

Alright I think I've explained it pretty clearly, roast me /r/DayZRP. 

squillium you should be enjoying your vacation not posting on here. go bang your gf or something.

The problem with this is that people will stumble into one of these areas where their is a lack of rules and will end up being KoS'd and make a report. Why even entertain the possibility of that, people get riled up over the pettiest of things and report each other already this will make it worse.

Just now, Nihoolious said:

squillium you should be enjoying your vacation not posting on here. go bang your gf or something.

The problem with this is that people will stumble into one of these areas where their is a lack of rules and will end up being KoS'd and make a report. Why even entertain the possibility of that, people get riled up over the pettiest of things and report each other already this will make it worse.

Didn't really want to do much today since I got wasted last night in a Scottish Pub.

Like I said, it would clearly be stated somewhere on the forums that the area isn't protected under the rules like the rest of the map. If they don't go on the forums and read it well there's not much I can do for them.

Let me get this straight, its an area in the map where rules dont apply?

Not being a dick but I really don't think that would be a good idea.

That would cause mayhem in reports & confusion.

No

No

I think it should be on those groups to declare these areas as their own and still maintain interesting roleplay and scenarios within the rules, without exceptions. I feel as though added rules or the lack thereof would just cause drama, unneeded reports and more gray areas for people to either abuse icly or oocly to get others banned for small shit.

Basically something similar to what zbor did but with less Nazism. 

Edited by Hebee

48 minutes ago, Nihoolious said:

go bang your gf or something.

Also that

Sweet Christ alright nevermind, but please give me more than this next time:

12 minutes ago, RogueSolace said:

No

Alright, as I’ve been told I’ll go back to banging my gf and getting drunk every night. Stay breezy bois.

I personally want to make some settlement areas "safe zones". An area where its against the rules to do anything hostile in an area, run by a group. The "invisable" armor would be all the "guards" posted around town, and any attack on the town would clearly be nvfl.

Obviously they would have to be HEAVILY monitered. To be sure they hosts of the safe area arn't like.. being shitlords "YOU CANT TOUCH MY FGT!!!". And heavy enforcement if they do become that way.  But.. its just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Joffrey said:

I personally want to make some settlement areas "safe zones". An area where its against the rules to do anything hostile in an area, run by a group. The "invisable" armor would be all the "guards" posted around town, and any attack on the town would clearly be nvfl.

Obviously they would have to be HEAVILY monitered. To be sure they hosts of the safe area arn't like.. being shitlords "YOU CANT TOUCH MY FGT!!!". And heavy enforcement if they do become that way.  But.. its just my opinion.

Attacks on settlements should be approved by LMs when the reasons and the plan of the attack is presented to them. However the attack should have a certain outcome as well such as taking over the settlement or forcing the group having to move. We could use the old map script as a turf type of thing per group. 

That could be pretty cool. Attacks are possible, but must be an officially approved event. Plus one

13 minutes ago, Joffrey said:

That could be pretty cool. Attacks are possible, but must be an officially approved event. Plus one

That literally takes away any and all risk to the game. People can just sit in the safe zone and leave when it’s time for an attack because they’ll know it’s gonna happen. Regardless, there was a vote of safe zones, majority of the community voted no.

Haven't felt fear or thing's being scary since 2015. Would be interesting to have something similar to this but hubs like this always somehow end up as safe hubs that people never leave and do more of less trade RP over everything else.

Like I said. Heavily monitered. I think it could be fun. We'll see.  It ain't up to just me.

Personally I'm a bit of a fan of Group Zones. It could work with work between the Group, Staff Team and perhaps the LM's themselves. Groups can hold a town for various traders, settlers and those who need some sanctuary for a day or two which can open up some RP. However there should be no rule changes within these zones because that was a massive shitfest with the rule abuse that occurred during the Settlements before lore wipe.

If it's going to be introduced, wait until Beta.  Personally I'd want to see how much the server can be pushed with base building and the mods because just imagine if a group took over say, Cherno for example. They surrounded the city or at least a part of the city with the barricades with regular patrols to obviously protect the area. Curfews happen, random searches in the houses and whatnot for "illegal" firearms and to see if anyone is a rival group member. Different sections for different things. It can be pulled off but it's gonna require effort. 

1 hour ago, JimRP said:

Attacks on settlements should be approved by LMs when the reasons and the plan of the attack is presented to them. However the attack should have a certain outcome as well such as taking over the settlement or forcing the group having to move. We could use the old map script as a turf type of thing per group. 

Yes, Jim now give us an Arma 3 server. 

It always comes down to Rolle putting it up, which he probably will as he always does when people want something that much, and then just to people actually maintaining their zones and claimed territory.

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Haven't felt fear or thing's being scary since 2015. 

Since Zbor shit on me anytime I tried coming to the triangle or found me with any rifle on my back. Sunday scaries man.

This could work in theory but IC, it's just that it will be very hard to maintain because of the number of reports that will come up ( people thinking that they got Kos'd ) and that will create a lot of mayhem if people do not follow the correct rules and all that. I would like to see this implemented just to see how it will go and mostly because it is a very realistic concept that could quite possibly happen in real life.