Server time (UTC): 2020-10-29, 10:51
Sign in to follow this  
Crazy_Corwin

Finding the source of Gun shots.

I wanted to discuss something that always seamed to bother me. This is something that I personally believe is very bad RP and doesn't make any sense.

That being said, I have meat 3 really awesome people in game as a direct response to what I am about to complain about, so I cant say it is bad... just Non believable.

Following Gun shots.

This is something that happens WAY to much in game. People say they heard a gun shot, and then they actively try to find out where the shot came from and who shot it. I mean come on people... seriously? In a post apocalyptic world where people are murdered , raped, forced into slavery and robbed on a daily basis... you are seriously going to tell me that your character is not going to run away from the shots?

I have run into people who said  "it sounded like a battle was going on down here so I came to see what was going on"... Are you freaking kidding me? Honestly, no wonder people get accidentally shot all the time. I don't care who you says your character is, I don't care if he/she is a soldier, mercenary, police, mentally unstable or just a nobody, when you here hundreds of rounds blowing off to the east, in real life you don't go to it. You don't tell yourself, ohh I wonder whats happening down there, lets go check it out.

I have also heard many excuses. Probably the most common excuses I get are "We never back down from a fight", or "There are 3/4/5 of us, we got this". if you ask me, that is seriously the number 1 NO VALUE FOR LIFE I have ever herd of.

Now I am sure there are going to be ALOT, of people out there that believe the complete opposite of me, and I am sure that there are many scenarios that will support the act of investigating gun shots, but when you factor in a post apocalyptic world with infected that just want to kill you... yeah the fact that your a soldier, or the size of your gun, or the amount of friends in your group don't come into play.

Now there are some scenarios that I can overlook. For instance, investigation a gun shot with a group of people if the shot came from a town you are living in, a town you know VERY well, a town you are charged with protecting. But when you are running through some random town that you are unfamiliar with the last thing you do is run up to someone and say, "was that you shooting?". Because in real life, if that was me shooting... I probably would turn the gun on them and blow them away. YOU DON'T KNOW THESE PEOPLE IN GAME! What inside your head tells you that running up to someone you suspect of firing of a bunch of rounds is a good thing?  Half the people I have met in game are seriously boarder line insane. But yet, shooting off a couples of rounds always seams to attract a curious cat or two. Good thing they cant be perma deathed without their permission.

Seriously people, Stop with the gun shot investigating.

For the most part I only head towards gun shots if it sounds like someone is either just shooting for fun, or shooting to kill Zombies.
A shot or two every few seconds is no reason for concern, but rapid shots or alot of shots in a short amount of time is bad. But if its a shot or two every few seconds from different guns, then thats a reason for concern too.

Thing is that some people, me included, see gun shots as a chance to RP with people. But of course if things sound crazy I am going to avoid it.
There is nothing wrong with following shots, as long as youre smart about it.

Edited by Zilly

Zilly

What you just said and how you worded it was perfect. Thats how everyone should run their character. If that's how people RPd then I would find it s much more believable.

The problem is, almost no one does that. No one takes it seriously and it annoys me. Every time someone comes up to me and says, "i followed your shots" its just to much for me to handle

Edited by Crazy_Corwin

Ive had people come up to me saying that they followed my shots too, but I only ever fire at zombies or animals so  it doesnt bother me. If im unloading a few magazines from an automatic for whatever reason then id be a bit bothered.

To each their own really.

There used to be a good bit of confusion around KOS and RDM in active firefights because of people investigating gunshots, which if i am correct, was eventually decided that if you go to an active firefight and get shot, it's your own fault. Now, if someone heard gunshots and approached me say 5-10 minutes after the last shot asking what happened, I'd be willing to explain. Chances are that most people view it was potential RP and scope out the area before just jumping right into it.

If someone goes after gunshots and gets shot, don't sweat it. That's their fault. If I'm in a town and I get into a gunfight and some rando walks in wanting to chitchat with me while i'm holed up in a building/runs at me, chances are they're getting shot and i'm risking the ban as they should know better.

If it sounds like zombie killing, I'm totally going to check it out if I've just spent the last hour wandering around not finding anyone to RP with.

More than one weapon, I'm noping out as hard as I possibly can.

They do it becouse there bored. Would you run dirrectly towards shots at all if the world was fucked? If yes then your most likely there to rob them or don't give a shit about your life.

Back during .60, this was a massive issue that kept happening. People would run towards gunshots to investigate it under the impression that they couldn't be killed due to the nice beautiful set of rule armor they were wearing.

I'm still of the opinion that if you hear gunshots, go towards them and end up dying that is your fault.

I understand that sometimes shots don't sound like a firefight is occurring, but if you're going to go investigate gunshots, you should prepare to accept the consequences of potentially walking up on a gunfight. 

Unfortunately my opinion isn't a popular one in staff, so people will still be able to run around with sets of rule armor.

For me it depends. If I hear gunshots, from a single gun, I will go investigate from a safe distance till I can deduce what is going on. If it's a single person or even a couple people, going after infected I will move closer. Offer some assistance, should it be needed.  

That is if I can even locate the source of the gunshots at all. I find people rarely tend to remain where the noise was for long. So by the time I get to the big pile of infected corpses the shooter is gone. 

On the other hand if there is a lot of gunfire from 2+ guns, I am running the other way. I agree with Dusty and the others, you go investigating gunshots and die,. it's your own fault. Remember, SAFE distance, just cause you can only hear one shot, doesn't mean it's the only gun. Suppressed gunfire won't travel as far. 

Investigating gunshots can be a great way to meet people, get some dank RP going and maybe make some new friends. But you gotta be careful. Don't just run into the situation. Investigate and maybe even follow the shooter first. 

Depending from the amount of gunshots/guns, i have investigated the gunshots incase there is someone in danger and needs help, my character tends to try to help people out if it seems necessary. Ofcourse i try my best to scout the area instead of running there like headless chicken. And so far i havent got into any troubles by this. 

But i kinda get your point here, not completely but somehow

"you are seriously going to tell me that your character is not going to run away from the shots?"

No, its video game roleplaying, and i like to look for roleplay, and gunshots means there is people.

Edit: as @Dusty said "I'm still of the opinion that if you hear gunshots, go towards them and end up dying that is your fault."  i agree on this one

Edited by Itsmez

Gunfire in general is a scary environment to find yourself in regardless of Real Life or Gaming.

As a Civilian Character I've always tended to run away from gunshots due just not knowing who the people are. For all I know it could be a group of Bandits bored and killing Infected and now I'm a prime target due to my curiosity.

As a Police Character I do tend to investigate gunshots, but not in the sense of blindly running into set town or area. With the sense of helping and assisting people I would usually scout the area first.

The amount of gunfire is also a factor I take into consideration. Multiple guns firing probably means that there is a battle of sorts going on. Given the human condition and how people get during a PvP scenario I tend to hightail it out of there. Low volume of fire means that the person is either taking care of infected or wolves and don't have suppressed weaponry. Which then would lead me to trying to make contact. Specially when a person is trapped by wolves. I try to save to person since my weapon of choice is a shotgun which is perfect for dealing with wolves.

At the end of the day. What you do is up to you and you must accept the consequences  that comes with the choice.

Edited by Razareth

On 1/1/2018 at 12:14 AM, Crazy_Corwin said:

I wanted to discuss something that always seamed to bother me. This is something that I personally believe is very bad RP and doesn't make any sense.

That being said, I have meat 3 really awesome people in game as a direct response to what I am about to complain about, so I cant say it is bad... just Non believable.

Following Gun shots.

This is something that happens WAY to much in game. People say they heard a gun shot, and then they actively try to find out where the shot came from and who shot it. I mean come on people... seriously? In a post apocalyptic world where people are murdered , raped, forced into slavery and robbed on a daily basis... you are seriously going to tell me that your character is not going to run away from the shots?

I have run into people who said  "it sounded like a battle was going on down here so I came to see what was going on"... Are you freaking kidding me? Honestly, no wonder people get accidentally shot all the time. I don't care who you says your character is, I don't care if he/she is a soldier, mercenary, police, mentally unstable or just a nobody, when you here hundreds of rounds blowing off to the east, in real life you don't go to it. You don't tell yourself, ohh I wonder whats happening down there, lets go check it out.

I have also heard many excuses. Probably the most common excuses I get are "We never back down from a fight", or "There are 3/4/5 of us, we got this". if you ask me, that is seriously the number 1 NO VALUE FOR LIFE I have ever herd of.

Now I am sure there are going to be ALOT, of people out there that believe the complete opposite of me, and I am sure that there are many scenarios that will support the act of investigating gun shots, but when you factor in a post apocalyptic world with infected that just want to kill you... yeah the fact that your a soldier, or the size of your gun, or the amount of friends in your group don't come into play.

Now there are some scenarios that I can overlook. For instance, investigation a gun shot with a group of people if the shot came from a town you are living in, a town you know VERY well, a town you are charged with protecting. But when you are running through some random town that you are unfamiliar with the last thing you do is run up to someone and say, "was that you shooting?". Because in real life, if that was me shooting... I probably would turn the gun on them and blow them away. YOU DON'T KNOW THESE PEOPLE IN GAME! What inside your head tells you that running up to someone you suspect of firing of a bunch of rounds is a good thing?  Half the people I have met in game are seriously boarder line insane. But yet, shooting off a couples of rounds always seams to attract a curious cat or two. Good thing they cant be perma deathed without their permission.

Seriously people, Stop with the gun shot investigating.

It creates good hostile RP though.