Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 09:45
Sign in to follow this  
Para

Persistence wipe

Persistence wipe.  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, we've all been there. You're looting up after you were robbed or died, and for an unknown reason you simply cannot find anything at all in the area you are in, usually a military zone. You try again a bit later to no avail. And again, and again.  We all know how boring DayZ is, it's loot system isn't the most riveting to experience. Not being able to find anything at all, for several loot runs at a time, also enhances this problem.

From what I understand the problem is with DayZ's loot / persistence system. It doesn't work. Eventually, and this does happen, a lot of the major guns on the map become lost to stashes that people create. There have been times where i've found a barrel or two, and they've had more guns than a single person could ever need. These stashes remain largely unused for a long time, essentially people hoard weapons (though the problem largely come from those who only get in game in the early parts of the day to loot, loot and loot some more). 

So I spoke to @Rolle who was not against the idea. 

Why don't we implement regular persistence wipes?

To clarify, this wouldn't mean your character was wiped, you would have no need to regear. It would mean that the map gets reset. The loot tables made anew and stashes wiped, a chance to begin again. 

This type of system happens on most other survival simulators, for example Rust servers have regular wipes to refresh the server's loot and give people a chance to begin again. 

What I am suggesting is that at the start of every month we have a persistence wipe.

But I would like to hear all of your thoughts on this, any issues you think could arise / where you think I am wrong (if you do). I would also like to hear where you agree with me.

Discuss this suggestion.

I'm a plus one on this. I hate hoarders. srsly no need to have more than 1 gun.. like.. ever.. NLR exists so you cant just run and grab a new gun to re-join in a battle. Once a month would be gr8. gr8 idea.

Kind of RIPs any real trading post or hot spot. Maybe every 2 months ?

I can get down with monthly persistence wipes, plus Juan honestly.

Maybe a lack of guns is a good thing. (PVP)

This is something I can get down with. +1

Counters hoarders, also it does help server performance.

+1 from me

+1 to this idea, monthly wipes would be alright IMO, anything less and it'd be a -1

12 minutes ago, Saints said:

Kind of RIPs any real trading post or hot spot. Maybe every 2 months ?

I think a month to hold onto a stash of gear is long enough, especially being as most public stashes are raided way before a month has elapsed. Just my opinion though.

When you follow your local Lootmaster @Galland around the map cuz he tells you that he found a huge camp and you slowly start to realise why there is no guns spawning at Tisy anymore.

Spoiler

fisFe3r.jpg

A persistence wipe would be great, especially if its monthly.

Edited by PatZ

Yeah, every month definitely. It's a great idea and should be implemented in my opinion +1 from me.

+1

When you have to spend about 3 hours running to every corner of the map just to get one AK74 and a half loaded mag it ruins the fun massively. A wipe every month would be fine.

This is a great idea, leave Characters so those who already have their clothing etc sorted be and get rid of the hoarding camps monthly. +1

+1 I like the idea as long as it's regular but not constant. As other have mentioned, if persistence is wiped TOO often then it really cripples camps, trading posts, and groups that rely on certain types of clothing (doctors, military like UN or CDF, etc) so I don't know what the right answer is but we definitely want to keep in mind that we're looking for that "sweet spot" between too often and not often enough.

2 minutes ago, Skinner said:

+1 I like the idea as long as it's regular but not constant. As other have mentioned, if persistence is wiped TOO often then it really cripples camps, trading posts, and groups that rely on certain types of clothing (doctors, military like UN or CDF, etc) so I don't know what the right answer is but we definitely want to keep in mind that we're looking for that "sweet spot" between too often and not often enough.

One thing to bear in mind, large groups who run trading posts would have it a lot easier. You can plan around the set date for each persistence wipe and have your entire group log in, pick up a tent and as much important shit as you can. The problem arises from these small groups of people hoarding the map's supply of rare / good weapons (which is what most people are looking to find). Large groups (i.e trading post groups) would be able to mitigate the effects of the wipe quite substantially. 

4 minutes ago, Para said:

The problem arises from these small groups of people hoarding the map's supply of rare / good weapons

This. Hot diggity, so much this. Everyone please refer to @PatZ's post. Dis is a fine example.

Disclaimer; I have heard that since we encountered said camp that it is gone (Meaning, no loot for you, suckas!). But there was a buttload of rare spawn guns (FAL, SVD) and a LOT of mil-grade shit there. When we approached initially, we got spun around about 50 times and rubberbanded backwards. That shit is not good for server performance. That shit is the reason we kinda need regular wipes. :)

Mmm, yes! I dislike running through debug and finding barrels with tons of guns and ammo that I know aren't being used... -_- No need to hoard so much random crap.

I even more like the idea that Traders/Camps will now NEED to go get more items when the monthly wipe happens. Make it a IC thing, send people scouting or scavenging and now you'll have some dynamic RP/Encounters. And even more so that characters will not be wiped, <3 

Considering tents from camps tend to get stolen anyway, and this would keep cars somewhat prevelant, I can get behind this. 

+1 to this like :D

(Maybe add a poll too?)

2 minutes ago, Oisin said:

+1 to this like :D

(Maybe add a poll too?)

Poll added, good suggestion.

I like the idea. It'll keep things fresh and more balanced in terms of finding things (loot stuffs and vehicles).

Ladies and gentlemen we have an issue. In DayZ’s current form this is honestly a good idea. But, unless the devs are lying, some form of base building will be implemented in beta, and while I give 0 shits about losing a tent full of juicy loot, I’m not ok with losing something that took actual time and effort. If bases are easy to build than whatever, but based on what the devs have said in the past I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Squillium said:

Ladies and gentlemen we have an issue. In DayZ’s current form this is honestly a good idea. But, unless the devs are lying, some form of base building will be implemented in beta, and while I give 0 shits about losing a tent full of juicy loot, I’m not ok with losing something that took actual time and effort. If bases are easy to build than whatever, but based on what the devs have said in the past I doubt it.

Good point like but we can easily change this closer to that time when base building is actually a thing. For now when it isn't whats the harm?

2 minutes ago, Oisin said:

Good point like but we can easily change this closer to that time when base building is actually a thing. For now when it isn't whats the harm?

I don't think he disagrees with the idea in the current state, just more raising a future issue that could be entirely possible. 

5 minutes ago, Squillium said:

I think when beta is going to be released, more work will have to be done within the community to regulate base making in the first place so we don't end up with servers looking like this 

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

But yes @Squillium, we might need to increase the length of persistence wipe intervals in the event of beta. 

+1 Would help with the prevalent "no barrels spawning" issues... I shouldn't have to raid someone's stash just to have leather clothing. Always makes me feel like a dick afterwards.

That said, would it be possible to have a countdown timer on the site somewhere like with the safe zone hours?