Server time (UTC): 2020-10-28, 13:39
Sign in to follow this  
LeaveOrDieRP

Arma 3 Life / Altis

Arma 3 Life  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Could assume that a lot of you like Arma 3, coming from Arma 2 originally back in the early 2010s myself. These are just a few questions regarding my personal mindset and goals of the community at large and would like your opinion.

Merry Christmas! 

The difference between arma 3 life and DayZRP is that DayZRP actually has RP. I have about 3k hours in arma 3, mainly on some of the biggest A3L servers acting as one of the leading positions in a lot of them, and I can honestly say no one gave a shit about RP. Now, although I think if we got a server people would RP in it, but the problem is no one would actually play it. People join DayZRP to play DayZ, not Arma 3 Life. If we wanted to have an ArmA 3 Life server that people would play on, we would have to heavily drop on what our standards of RP are to attract a lot of people who currently play ArmA 3 Life. Other then that I think it would be a waste of money and time - but other projects on arma 3 might not be.

This thread pops up every week and it's the same answer every time...

Arma 3 life isn't serious roleplay, either is anything else. Everyone is saying "DayZ" is a dying game, once all these servers go die out people are always going to be playing this game (Atleast 500) and the only thing that's going to be left is RP servers since there is nothing left to do. Are these people here for RP? Maybe not but if they are not they will break rules and be banned. People need to see both sides, eventually if Beta doesnt hit soon enough people will only be on these types of communities that are established already, sure new roleplay communities pop up all the time but 90% of them die due to corrupt staff, general shit rules or just inactive. As long as this place gets at least a full server every night then hell people will stay. These numbers are over christmas and still bigger than most other communities.

These side projects don't work, just go look down the suggestions list and see everytime Arma is mentioned...

Like @Brady said, people come to DayZRP for DayZ, sure there are mods like exile and whatnot that are amazing but SA gives a good survivory feel more than A2 from what I hear and see was you are either a hero or bandit military unit (Could be wrong but from videos i've seen and what not that's my impression) and that's it. Arma is a military simulator and personally it feels very blocky in what is available RP wise. Its like DarkRP on GMOD just more advanced, that's the best way I could put it... 

Kind of derailed with what I said but the point stands, if the first 100 threads don't work either will this one but it's cool to see you wanting to expand the community more.

22 minutes ago, Galaxy said:

This thread pops up every week and it's the same answer every time...

I'll take a link to a post from last week lad.

13 minutes ago, Pep said:

You don't want a Life server. 

Why?

3 minutes ago, Everybody Hates Banks said:

I'll take a link to a post from last week lad.

Obviously when I mean every other week it is still being discussed with the whole A3 scene, don't be like this.

Here is something like this, also here.

All of these threads have the whole "Switch" thing going on..

These things have been done before but just look out the outcomes.

Life isn't a storytelling narrative that most people who come for an apocalyptic RP want and come here for, if beta flops i'd be more onboard for A3 but at this moment im against it. A2 was great I played a lot of it, but I never saw roleplay integrated into it well for the story driven survivor narratives people buy this game for and take part in this community. A2/A3 like I said are military simulators with DayZ modded into them, some more then others but as you see above it hasn't worked out in the past even when this game was doing better. 

Like I said maybe in the future if beta flops but a lot of people don't want to/can afford/will buy A3 if they don't have it. Looking at our community now (Or atleast looking through my steam friends list which has a lot of active members on it only about 15% of my friends list have A3) not a lot of people currently play A3. 

I think I already posted my response to all the other Arma 3 threads but here I go again because I've dabbled so much behind the curtains of the Arma 3 Life scene.

Altis life is NOT roleplay oriented. There isn't forced player interaction or anything of the sort that benefits RP. Tonic's framework makes it surprisingly easy to just not roleplay and do everything else in the game possible. It also has a problem in terms of factions with the rebel faction on the other side and the police faction on the other side, which makes absolutely no sense, as a rebel faction would be countered with a military faction, not a police one. That's just one of the flaws of Altis life. You also have no object as the civilians other than to get money to get guns and rebel against the police.

If we would implement an Arma 3 server, I'd suggest that we do something else, such as the idea that Rolle brought up a while ago:

This concept is something you can definitely mold into something that can be fun for people who want to roleplay the civilian aspect of things and for those that want to play the military simulation aspect.

For example, you could have civilian's that have the ability to create companies that could do mining of minerals and gathering of other materials. Then there could also be companies that bought materials from these other companies that gather them and they could buy a factory and start manufacturing all sorts of things such as military equipment (weapons, ammo, uniforms, vehicles, etc.). That equipment then could be exported out of the country or sold straight to the military factions. This would make it so that the military factions are dependant on the civilians and vice versa. To further player interaction more, the companies could also buy shops that sold their products such as food & drinks and some equipment. There are countless other measures that can be taken to balance things later in development and these are the things just from the top of my mind.

Of course, there are ways to automate some of these things to make the game playable even without 120 players online and it is a completely another thing if there even would be enough people interested to fill an Arma 3 server in the first place. And regardless when beta & modding finally are released, I think there is much more interest in that.

In conclusion, I don't think DayZRP would benefit from a Altis life server because you can go play Altis life on a thousand other communities and wasteland on some other thousand communities. I do think DayZRP could benefit from something completely different though.

Edited by Kerkkoh

30 minutes ago, Kerkkoh said:

Altis life is NOT roleplay oriented.

I think that people confuse this kind of roleplay with A3L roleplay. I know plenty of communities that have thrived because of roleplay and it made their community successful. For one, Arma 3 Project Life which I am also a member of. 

20 minutes ago, Leucifer said:

I think that people confuse this kind of roleplay with A3L roleplay. I know plenty of communities that have thrived because of roleplay and it made their community successful. For one, Arma 3 Project Life which I am also a member of. 

Arma 3 Project Life was Caiden's weird lovechild that he crafted with a shit load of cash that he grabbed from A3L after the $30 paywall and the other donations. Then again don't you still have to pay like 20 bucks to get into it or did they already get enough money to quit it? Regardless, it's a mess and definitely not something I'd like to see on DayZRP. (And of course, that wouldn't even be possible because we don't have tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on assets and workforce...)

What we were discussing here was if this community would benefit from a "Arma 3 Altis Life and/or Arma 3 Life (Modded)" server which is, very much, fucking cancerous.

The only Arma 3 server I know that had even some RP and not a ridiculous paywall to make people value their time on the servers was Humanity / Orgo byte, which was shut down some months ago because there were probably 5 people at max playing on the servers and the management costs were too high. Simply put, these kinds of serious Arma 3 roleplaying servers don't work because the Arma 3 "roleplaying" community is full of... well... this kind of "roleplay" on the modded server and this on non-modded ones.

I wish my only issue was with the roleplay but it isn't as I explained. It's the shitty concepts for a roleplaying server such as Altis Life, which ultimately turns into wasteland as I explained poorly in the previous post and the A3L cut & copy & paste servers that are just full of actual shit and still based on the Altis Life framework.

The only way to make an Arma 3 server to work with DayZRP would be something like Rolle's concept and creating a completely new goal for players other than killing each other aimlessly.

Sorry Banks, idk.

Oh look, its one of these threads again. Answer is no, always will be no. There is already existing servers for what you want, go play on them.

I played NoPixel for a good while and I can honestly say it was really fun. It was probably the only Life server on Arma 3 that stressed Roleplay more than pvp next to critical gaming. It was a complete player based economy, the only thing you would buy off an AI was cars, everything else was strictly player based. Also, the server had almost little to no rules which gave people the option to expand their roleplay possibilities. 

6 hours ago, Commissar said:

Oh look, its one of these threads again. Answer is no, always will be no. There is already existing servers for what you want, go play on them.

What a positive outlook. Why be such a debbie downer on those who want to inspire change and better the community at large?

Edited by Everybody Hates Banks

I cant see it working tbh, past Arma stuff just hasn't worked this might not be any different if it did go through

If there was a different community with the same mentality behind it with the same type of staff team then it could be good. Personally, I'd rather see something a bit more along the lines of a MILSIM.

1 hour ago, Everybody Hates Banks said:

What a positive outlook. Why be such a debbie downer on those who want to inspire change and better the community at large?

Don't twist his words, he isn't shitting on your passion to grow the community he just doesn't want to go through with your idea. If you are going to make a suggestion be prepared for people to disagree with you and from the polls it seems to be the majority opinion so far.

Edited by Galaxy

I'd rather permanently delete every game but the dumpster fire that is DayZ Standalone and play that for 12 hours a day every day for the rest of my life.

3 hours ago, Henning said:

I'd rather permanently delete every game but the dumpster fire that is DayZ Standalone and play that for 12 hours a day every day for the rest of my life.

So I take it you don't like Arma 3 Life?

Guest Generic Name

Arma 3 Life is a glorified "Cops and Robbers" setting that in no way can be construed as a serious roleplay environment. The only stories it would create would look and sound like a late news reel of all the crimes that happened during a 24 hours period. No thanks.

Edited by Generic Name

Just now, SomeWeirdAssGuy said:

Arma 3 Life is a glorified "Cops and Robbers" setting that in no way can be construed as a serious roleplay setting. The only stories it would create would look and sound like a late news reel of all the crimes that happened during a 24 hours period. No thanks.

It's still fun to play, though.

Guest Generic Name
39 minutes ago, Leucifer said:

It's still fun to play, though.

I'm not here to argue if it's fun or not, I'm saying we're a roleplay community and you're suggesting a game that doesn't present much opportunity as a roleplay medium.

Arma 3 Life in a nutshell.

SDVdF0a---Imgur.gif

Edited by Generic Name

3 hours ago, SomeWeirdAssGuy said:

I'm not here to argue if it's fun or not, I'm saying we're a roleplay community and you're suggesting a game that doesn't present much opportunity as a roleplay medium.

Arma 3 Life in a nutshell.

SDVdF0a---Imgur.gif

Clearly you have not seen some true roleplay servers then. xD

On 26/12/2017 at 6:05 PM, Everybody Hates Banks said:

Thanks. We've been through this a million times, its a waste of resources doing anything with Arma 3. Not enough people are interested. Inspire change elsewhere.

Edited by Commissar

On 12/26/2017 at 10:13 AM, Kerkkoh said:

Arma 3 Project Life was Caiden's weird lovechild that he crafted with a shit load of cash that he grabbed from A3L after the $30 paywall and the other donations. Then again don't you still have to pay like 20 bucks to get into it or did they already get enough money to quit it? Regardless, it's a mess and definitely not something I'd like to see on DayZRP. (And of course, that wouldn't even be possible because we don't have tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on assets and workforce...)

Please don't bring up that person. I still can't believe I bought into that 20 quid paywall.

To all the people saying it won't be a roleplay server, the simple answer is that the RP on the server will be as serious as the staff and community make it.