Server time (UTC): 2020-10-20, 15:07
Sign in to follow this  
Banshee

DayZ Year In Review - 2017

Just watched this video and I've got to say, if what they're saying and showing is true. I feel 2018 might be the year for DayZ. The updated map area's like NWAF and other thiings are really interesting and look really good, and it looks like the game is getting a whole of a lot closer to what they had envisioned when they started working on DayZ.

Edited by Yung Shade

omg the guy with the red shirt.. I feel for him, it's like he experienced dayz himself irl
this dedfinitely does look more promising, looking forward to the modding

Edited by PalmtreeWhale

So, i'm tired of being jaded about development so i'm just going to speak right now as to take them at their word.

They have left a lot of nice tidbits in this one. Particularly that the game will be on "Xbox Preview" in 2018. Meaning that it will be available for purchase on the same platform that PUBG is currently available on for consoles. That is awesome, and leaves me the question, if we are able to have our own community servers for it on Xbox, does that mean that DayzRP will have a future on consoles for community members that can't play on PC, can't afford one to run the game to their liking, or simply want to play there? This will be an interesting part of DayzRP's history to deal with for sure. Very excited for that and giving even more people the chance to play here. Hopefully community ran servers are available on consoles. 

Secondly, he says they're close. They still have yet to give a specific release date, but hopefully that more or less means BETA in Q1 2018. 

Very good video overall. 

I felt like they were apologizing for the game the whole video. .63 looks crisp and smooth, and I have some hope for the future, despite the setbacks. Bear in mind that these people work in different fields and departments and all report to somebody, and those people report to more corporatey people who care more about bottom lines and profits and less about progress in a game that has already sold the copies it needed to sell. Bohemia's flagship is elsewhere, and as such is their focus. Many people have pointed this out, but it is likely that progress may have been hindered by forces they can't talk about or are uncontrollable. Don't get me wrong I get that 4 years in Early Access is absurd but given the fact that they had to scrap stuff due to engine issues and all that mess I can understand why it has taken so long. We should have been where we are now in 2015. 

After Beta hits, DayZ is going to have to reinvigorate it's dismal player numbers and get people back in the door. Take some of that money and make commercials advertising the open world experience and all the things that made DayZ great back in the early days of A2. With modding, this game could experience a comeback like Rainbow Six Siege if word of mouth and a pleasant gaming experience are provided. People want something more exciting like PUBG combined with the base building aspect of Rust. Raids, clans, stock piling, etc. I think many people want to play DayZ but all of SA's issues have driven them away to titles that have adapted better. Hopefully it improves, if not we need to look elsewhere. 

I'm certainly hopeful.  More so, I want to be hopeful for this game.  0.63 is probably going to be the make or break for this games future, so they need to hit the nail on the head and run with it.  They seem to be confident that they have gotten over the hurdles that have been keeping this game from thriving, mainly the fact that they started this game in an engine that simply wasn't compatible with what they wanted this game to be.  Personally, as long as modding comes out and isn't delayed with 0.63, I think this game can easily get a burst of new life.  The modding community at the very least will do their best to make this game something that it should be if the devs slack in the future.

I guess we just have to wait and see.

I can say that I am glad the dev team believes they are on the cusp of something great in .63 I still am patient. Some footage in there looks really promising!

They just need to get this right.

Well here's to another year in early access hell I guess and further waiting till we go back to the days of 2-4 servers full of people. We need this to bolster interest in people who are NEW because the greenhorns are what keep this place interesting. New people this year that have seemed to brighten the servers I am sure many of you could name off, and that is from patches that weren't nearly as hyped. I am hoping renewed gameplay and how vastly different the game is going to be we will have many people interested in dayz once again, which will get this place much needed heavier traffic of some of the veterans who have all slated to not return till the game was drastically better. New people and the old will come back.

If they deliver exactly what they have shown. No shortcuts anymore.

I know that whenever that day comes where DayZ releases .63 to stable I am committing to a character and coming back full tilt. 

I've had 5 years of DayZ, vanilla mod, epoch, overpoch, standalone and eh...

I don't mean to be a downer, cause I still enjoy roleplaying with my friends and missing every shot that I take in the game, but I've had base raiding, building, economies, extensive customisation options, extra weapons, functioning air, ground and sea vehicles, as well as all the other bells and whistles that make a game like DayZ great. Unless Standalone pulls something damn magical out of its asshole, any old mod players will find themselves in the same position they were in before, except they're minus 4 years of their time but they've got nicer graphics, smoother movement and non-retarded infected

I guess I'll wait and see but, as I said, unless the game offers a completely new experience unlike my previous DayZ experiences, I don't see myself kicking about for much longer in DayZ.

Edited by Elmo
its 9:52 and i haven't slept yet, leave me alone

My interest comes from the mention of modding. If they can give us modding this year... oh baby.

I have a vision, where those of different skill sets form a team within this community, to cater to this community. Swords, guns, clothes, character meshes, new texture designs, literally anything you could think of. Imagine a team of people here, who cater to the roleplayer.  A new branch of staff purely for that side of things. I'd be enthusiastic to join as a modeller/texture artist.

Imagine your factions and groups. It would not take a lot of time for someone to take any design you made like a logo or something and throw it on a modded piece of clothing. Armbands be damned! Picture a katana opposed to that clunky sword they have.  Barbed wire wrapped baseball bats for the Negan fanboy. Hair designs. Remember those biker groups, they could have actual cut off jackets with their brand. The possibilities only go as far as our imagination.

If they can give us the ability to mod our private servers... it'll change the entire landscape of the game. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

If they can give us modding this year... oh baby.

You mean 2018 right ? They mentioned that it leaves early access in 2018 , so there is no doubt about it . Probably will be in the later of 63 , but don't want to cross my fingers with this dev team.

Edited by Saints
Potato