Server time (UTC): 2019-12-08, 09:17 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Finn

Young characters + PVP

Before I start this off I have nothing against those who play young characters or those who choose to involve PVP in their role-play experiences. (Because honestly I'd find it boring without you guys)

Anyways....

I've have been snoopin' around and have noticed some of those who choose to play as younger characters - lets say around the age of 20 and under who engage in PVP situations. I've noticed that when they engage in PVP, their characters fight as if they had the bravery of a action hero. I know it's a skill you pick up from doing so much PVP and it's sort of a technique but I find it highly unlikely that an 18 year old would behave in such a way in a combat situation. This would be accurate if this character happened to be Ex-Military but otherwise probably not.

You don't often see any characters anymore that have weaknesses built into them anymore.

I was wondering what everyone else thought.

Finn <3

In some situations, i actually agree.

Good point Finn!

I tend to agree with you, that a fair few people dont like to show weak characters. Everyone wants to be the stronger one. I myself like to be the odd one at times.

I have a character I play every so often that is afraid of a good amount of things, and you can tell it in her voice to things she says. She doesnt know how to work a gun and before this lore, it took her many....many hours to get her to try and shoot one. Even then she had a mini episode about it. Was humors and everyone enjoyed it, it was refreshing to most because she was afraid of things and tried to not cause problems even if it was at her own expense or pride. Some times it made her silly others, it saved her in the long run.

But that is me, and I think more should try doing something have some kind of fear or something!

I completely agree with this. With age comes experience, and no 18 year old 4 months into any catastrophe would have anywhere near the amount of combat experience and endurance to be as cocky and crazy in combat. Just like in real life, it takes years to get used to getting shot at. Yet some people make characters that act like they were conducting spec ops raids since they were in the womb lmao.

It's a great thing to bring to attention, so +1.

Now this is a situation I had experience with..

Before the lore wipe, I used to play a character called Daniel Smith [Balfour] He was 15 when he first joined the RP and then turned 16. He was a total coward, a full on coward. Wouldn't even hit someone or anything like that, a real non hostile person. Then he met Anton [ @Grimnir ] and Johnny [ @Doc Holiday ] and they were the first people that put him on the path to being a complete fucking nut job. Anton showed Danny a face of the man that Danny despised [A face that was cut off and hung on a tree]. This slowly put him on a path of revenge. Danny was now on the hunt for two other men that he hated [With the aid of Anton and Johnny]

Even after this, Danny was still a coward, then he found out that Bobby Balfour [ Jabba ] was his father. At the time Bobby Balfour was the leader of a Merc group and wanted Danny to follow in his footsteps. This forced Danny to become a merc, and kill. To this day I still remember my first kill on Danny, I had to RP out all the crazy stuff that was going through his head, such as guilt and regret. Obviously Danny got into more and more firefights and hostile RP and soon got used to it. 

Shortly after more character development with mainly Anton, he got shown the ways of becoming a true killer. All the edgy torture techniques he was shown and the fucked up shit that Anton was involved with. To this day I've never had better character development than what I had on Danny. I must of played him for about, jeeezh since the Pagans V2 were around. So the character didn't just become a mindless killer within a week. It took months and months. 

So what I'm saying is, as long as your character has a reason for feeling nothing at a young age/OR has reason to be a killer I don't see an issue. However if your character is a 16 year old posh boy and he suddenly starts killing people left right and centre, yeah that's an issue. 

Even my character now had a reason to kill, but that's an IC reason... Lmao. 

Shout out to all the people that made that character into what it was. Truly a character to be remember fondly {from myself}

19 minutes ago, -Chow- said:

I completely agree with this. With age comes experience, and no 18 year old 4 months into any catastrophe would have anywhere near the amount of combat experience and endurance to be as cocky and crazy in combat.

Come to Manchester on a Saturday night and you'll disagree. Lmao. 

Edited by Beni

I myself are guilty of this, when I had my 15 year old character Dominic I did actually go out and learn how to use the weapons with training and what not. I still played off and innocent and clueless but when it came to me being initiated on I just killed them but there's also the hundreds of snow plowers, accountants and mouth breathers that can use and fire any weapon and know what every bullet type is. It is an issue, but it's not something that cant change since you can't prove that someone hasnt RPed a certain thing out or had reasoning in the past.

Relevant issue, impossible to solve effectively but good thread nonetheless!

Edited by Galaxy

8 hours ago, Beni said:

Now this is a situation...

Very good story, thanks for sharing :)

I play as a twenty year old ex-military, although my character chooses to help people and never raises a gun on anyone. He’s pretty much a copy of me IRL. His weaknesses are his speaking skills, abandonment issues and he always feels like nobody cares about him. 

Because of this he usually runs around by himself, gathering supplies that might help survivors, and doesn’t really stay in one spot. If you’re lucky enough you might bump into him, and you’ll be offered free supplies. He only does it to make people happy, sometimes he jokes around too in an attempt to make people happy but makes a fool of himself most of the time. But if people laugh at him for being a fool that’s ok, because atleast they’re happy.

I can go on and on about this character

This is dayz we are about , the combat and gunfights in dayz are a very unrealistic cluncy , laggy shit fest .

Hopefully this will change on 63 , but for now there are no different ways of fighting in dayz. If your character can shoot an infected , sure as hell he can kill a human .

I hate young characters... as long as there are no smaller human models... they brake my immersion.

I once saw 4 women standing in circle, they were minding their thing, but my character got interested in one of them. So I saw her kinda check me out, it seemed that way when she emoted and I tried to get to her, had my moves thought out & everything, picked some apples for pretty lady of mine...

then OOC I'm notified, it is an underaged girl IC :$o.O

I've been teased OOC ever since...

Also, girls like that should not run around with full on 5+ Kg assault rifles... period...

Edited by Shanoby

1 minute ago, Shanoby said:

I hate young characters... with full on 5+ Kg assault rifles... period...

That’s pretty shitty, but I agree, a child shouldn’t be able to control the power of an automatic weapon. I did learn to shoot M16s when I joined the military reserves when I was 16. Learned how to fire M249s when I was 17. 

But still In reality I’m still a shit shot. Unless I’m on my stomach, or shooting semi automatic or bursts.

If a kid should be carrying any weapon it's a pistol or a sporter imo. 

11 hours ago, Beni said:

-snip-

I remember this transition and massive respect to you for RPing through this process.

In all honesty, at the relative start of an apocalyptic scenario, younger characters are much less likely to want to instantly get involved with fights and regular put themselves in harms way. It's... counteractive towards the whole point: survival.

Like Beni said, if you've actually RPed through a transition of the mindset I have a lot more comfort with your character OOCly than i do if your character is just instantly a psychotic 18 year old.

Edit: I also met some army cadets around the age of 16, it is entirely possible for younger people to carry weapons, it really is. Issue is, most of the people that are capable are drilled and respectable lads. They're hardened by their training and are as a result much less likely to actually get involved with psychotic acts or go on bloodthirsty rampages because they simply want to fight. It's... it doesn't make sense in either situation i can find but we can't force people to play as realistically as possible.

I myself am playing a cab driver/mechanic. He knows nothing of guns or weapons and is quite useless in a fight. More dumb luck than anything else being the reason he's still alive. (Caution too I s'pose) I actually relish the rp of normal people who find themselves thrust into this chaotic and hell-shot world than the army nuts and military types. That's not to say I HAVEN'T met fun rp'ers who are military, I just find that the stories all blend together and I enjoy people who stand out and make a genuine connection with my character. That's my drawn out answer...lol. Hope to see you all alive and well and more importantly...enjoying them apples. Ford Out.

I once saw an 8 or 10 yr old boy named Oliver Kovar ( @Mr.Panda) kill 4 wolves with his bare hands....

600px-TWD_S3E16_44.jpg

1 minute ago, Shortround said:

600px-TWD_S3E16_44.jpg

tbh he grew up in a zombie apocalypse since it started when he was 12 :P

1 minute ago, Finn said:

tbh he grew up in a zombie apocalypse since it started when he was 12 :P

And there was a shit ton of character development (atleast in the comics). 

I play a young char! And while she is learning to use guns and fire them she has no issues killing infected, :D She did at the start though, :( Kept thinking they were still peoples! BUT! I am waiting for the day when she has to shoot another living person and kill them. :o

I think most young chars. may adapt better to murdering other people than a adult would because they are able to be molded by their environment and change as needed so killing may not be that big of a deal for them. Where as for a adult who's set in their ways, murdering and killing may seem wrong or bad.

As far as firefights go I'm not too sure, I'm a scaredy cat and I avoid them like the plague! Mostly because coastal vacations don't seem that much fun to me. But for a younger kid disillusioned with reality and being taught that murder is okay, may enjoy the fun and adrenaline of a fire fight making them seem a lot more gung-ho. 

I know in Africa for Child Soldiers they'd desensitize the children by making them shoot corpses of people, then graduating to real people all while pumping drugs into them to keep them docile and agreeable.  Something to consider! 

It's a video game.

At the same time it wouldn't make much sense for most people who are older, military or otherwise to act like many people act in terms of PvP.  Zigzagging and weaving and all that shit. Can't wait for .63.

A lot of younger characters because it's easier to act younger/your own age than older... Plus the way pvp works in DayZ..

Its the same as the foreigner problem, not many people RP as chernarussians as it is hard to pull off the accent, things like this will never change...

5 hours ago, Para said:

Snip

All of this! so true!!!!!!!

My character didn't want to attack any infected, then she had to fight a few off with bare hands and realized this was not some game. (Pun not intended). At this point, she's convinced the infected are walking vegetables; they are on automatic function with no sense of self or others. While it still bothers her, she's come to accept that she has to be willing to kill them before they become a threat to her or those around her, especially  the younger girls. It's been drilled into her to save lives. At the same time, she's having the mental crisis of what do I do when people suddenly start trying to kill me and will not stop? Religion, morals, etc. all taught her that ending another life is wrong. Yet she's now having to do it multiple times a day with the infected. It's extremely conflicting emotionally.

She has yet to shoot a living person, and I know she will have a breakdown when it happens. She doesn't want to kill, but unlike my previous character Solace, she's willing to if she has to. We were in a firefight and pinned down, she was utterly terrified and realized she was the last person with a long range gun, and that a child and pregnant woman were among them. Whom she knew the people firing at them would take no mercy on. She offered to snipe, at least to try anyways. The person she spoke to got in her face about "Are you so willing to kill someone? To take a life?"  She freaked out and was crying. 

She ended up being not allowed, and she was utterly terrified of the prospect, but if it came down to defending life, especially innocent lives, against extremely violent people, she's not going to sit and cry in a corner. It's something she will never, ever, enjoy doing. But if its her defending someones life or her own and its obvious the person attacking is not going to be rational, she will pull the trigger. 

Sadly a lot of things that could make rp more interesting tend to be ignored, bullet wounds, psychology is a massive one (usually its used in the completely wrong way), etc. 

This is a very good point though :) I hope that people will think about it.

I think that the problem with these types of players is that they are trying to have a PvP experience, with minimal RP. They dont want to develop a story(they even make memes about this), instead they just want to kill everything! I also agree with @Brayces (feet) here, playing a younger character also allows them to adapt to their environment. They still have time to mature and grow into a lean mean killing machine. Overall I would like to see these people actually develop storys, if they did the little things then I think it could really turn the tides of RP currently!

Edited by Brady

On 11/25/2017 at 5:21 PM, Para said:

Edit: I also met some army cadets around the age of 16, it is entirely possible for younger people to carry weapons, it really is. Issue is, most of the people that are capable are drilled and respectable lads. They're hardened by their training and are as a result much less likely to actually get involved with psychotic acts or go on bloodthirsty rampages because they simply want to fight. It's... it doesn't make sense in either situation i can find but we can't force people to play as realistically as possible.

I was one for 5 and a half years from the age of 12 (minimum age of joining), I personally can say that most of the cadets I trained know how to handle a semi-automatic & manual weapon properly by the age of 13. I know for myself that I have fired automatic weapons (a GPMG being one of them) by the time I reached 15. It is entirely possible, they also do go through battle exercises and how to perform in a battle within a town. In Britain, you are also allowed to join the army at 16. However, the psycho mentality that early barely makes sense unless they have some conditions like schizophrenia.