Server time (UTC): 2019-11-14, 15:20
Sign in to follow this  
Pain

Perma-deathing?

So this is probably a popular topic within the DayZRP community, the old illusive perma-deathing your character. During my limited time within the server, I've heard both sides of the coin and have a few suggestions towards roleplayers within the server, along with examples (IN MY OPINION) should be permadeath in order to progress the server.

Permadeath and what it means for you.

Perma-deathing your character can be a hard process to come by within this server simply because the motto is "The owner of the character should have the choice to permadeath." in my opinion this should be correct for many scenarios but in others I feel that some people abuse this to the extent that I have seen some people have 17 deaths within the last week (which is insane, I really hope that's to spawn glitching and not to actual roleplay/pve deaths.)and no injuries are even roleplayed out by many of these individuals.

A suggestion for players within the DayZRP community about perma-deathing.

If your in a hostile situation in which you are captured by another player who has nothing to do with your story but they take it upon themselves to end your characters life due to you being in the wrong place at the wrong time then you shouldn't be forced to perma to someone who isn't going to forward the after story of said character. We should flip the coin though in which what if the person who has taken you hostage is apart of a rival faction, they have you tied up and decide that you haven't given them enough in order to live another day. At this point, the situation has taken a dark turn, your forced into a corner where you have a choice and its most likely put into the form of

"// permission to kill [character name] and force you to perma."

I've seen this a lot during streams and the captured player will normally reply with a swift

" // permission to kill: yes, to force perma?: no."

I personally hate this kind of thing, I think if you are in a situation that could benefit not only those that have ended your life, you've also moved your groups roleplay forward. They've just lost a member of their family, it opens the characters up to development. A great example of this is when a member of Viridian (Named Eli) lost his mind and became showing signs of hostility within the group, Rory the leader took it upon herself to end that characters life and therefore Eli decided it was a time to perma due to the nature of the kill. This death pushed Viridian into a consistent state of questioning if Rory's leadership was one that people wanted to follow, its forced the group to split into many different ways of thinking to the point now that the group has a new second in command Dan, instead of the previously known as David due to David acting out hostile against Rory. The amount of internal conflict the group ended up getting from Eli's death was enough to push the story so far that it created 3 separate stories instead of him being selfish and holding onto the current existing story.

What I think a solution is to permadeath and how we can improve the quality of the roleplay within the server.

A suggestion towards changing the rules in order to have roleplayers within the server value their characters life a lot more than what the current standard play is. (Which is, "oh were part of a 10 man + group, lets go fight another 10 man plus group to see who has the bigger dick and then we can just keep doing that for the rest of my characters life" < thats NVFL in its own brilliant way.)

A good change could be where if the character has died more than [x] amount of times during one week, logs could be reviewed in order to see if the deaths are indeed roleplay and if they are proven to be roleplay the person roleplaying the character should be made aware that they have too many deaths in order to play the character to an efficent level, therefore they have one of two choices...

1. A forced perma death.

2. A forced character bench for [x] amount of time

This, in my opinion, would keep the roleplay within the server refreshed and would stop a lot of the current problems that I've seen in peoples roleplay. These, of course, being the complete NVFL and lack of empathy within characters on the server.

Feel free to start a discussion on this! I'd love to hear more opinions just throwing my 2 cents into the wishing well.

Edited by Pein

I agree with you and think this is a very good suggestion but these threads go up a lot and it always ends in people bitching about how their stories aren't over yet.  They feel like they can't have a character permd even if it would drive rp forward because they have too much attachment.   But maybe this thread will change that mindset this time who knows. 

I wanna know why nearly all hostile RP now goes into 

//permission to kill

Why is there a need to kill peoples characters? What happened to torture, or even letting them go with a task they must complete? Killing the player kills all RP for the future and then you are known simply for the killings rather than great hostile RP.

Permadeath should be down to your choice but hostile parties should not be jumping on the kill spree band wagon. Has this communities hostile RPers lost all imagination?

Breaking someones character in line is far more of a benefit than simply pulling a trigger. I still dont agree with remembering the events of your death, its a simple easy way of just getting yourself killed because you cant be bothered with the RP and its alright because straight after you will remember it all and can just get payback by looking for them. Atleast with the old rules that forced you to forget all events leading to your death it meant you had to value your life more in order to remember everything to get revenge in the future.

Edited by Voodoo

2 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

//permission to kill

Why is there a need to kill peoples characters? What happened to torture, or even letting them go with a task they must complete? Killing the player kills all RP for the future and then you are known simply for the killings rather than great hostile RP.

Permadeath should be down to your choice but hostile parties should not be jumping on the kill spree band wagon. Has this communities hostile RPers lost all imagination?

Breaking someones character in line is far more of a benefit than simply pulling a trigger. I still dont agree with remembering the events of your death, its a simple easy way of just getting yourself killed because you cant be bothered with the RP and its alright because straight after you will remember it all and can just get payback by looking for them. Atleast with the old rules that forced you to forget all events leading to your death it meant you had to value your life more in order to remember everything to get revenge in the future.

I was asked 3 times yesterday to perma by the same person. I kept saying no and kept getting answers like //well it's gonna be awkward if you don't perma.
Thought it was a bit dumb tbh. Especially if you get reasoning like "We want to kill you because we're mad that you made friends with people we hate"

This has been brought up many times before and there are several threads that are available using the search function discussing this very topic. This is a good thread posted in September by @Galaxy.

The problem you have is if a character has to be permed then all someone does is create a new name and act exactly the same as their previous character so there would not be any change to a persons RP. The other issue is for those that are in a group, by this I mean if someone is forced to perm their character and they are a leader of a group does that group then disband or do we keep changing the owner name on the group thread (that would be a pain). Permadeath is a nice idea and I can be in favour of it but only if it is what I like to call a 'good death' where it has been RP'd correctly or a storyline has come to its end and it isn't just some random death in a fire fight etc.

I'm sure @Rolle was talking about the idea of if you had 'x' amount of deaths in a week then your character would need to be permed which is linked in to the damage indicators (as seen on the character pages), it does tell you how many deaths that character has had in the last 7 days but it isn't enforced yet. Thinking about it I think this was to make people value their character more...

However I still believe in perming when there has been a 'good death' as I put it, so ultimately I believe it needs to be up to the person to perm their character at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Samaritan said:

I'm sure @Rolle was talking about the idea of if you had 'x' amount of deaths in a week then your character would need to be permed which is linked in to the damage indicators (as seen on the character pages), it does tell you how many deaths that character has had in the last 7 days but it isn't enforced yet. Thinking about it I think this was to make people value their character more...

The problem is the same I am experiencing at the moment. Being hunted for petty reasons and being executed for also petty reasons. I feel like if there was a forced permadeath people would go and actively hunt others down they have exec. rights on and try to get them to be forcefully permad. That's a sad reality but it is a reality.

3 minutes ago, Rory said:

The problem is the same I am experiencing at the moment. Being hunted for petty reasons and being executed for also petty reasons. I feel like if there was a forced permadeath people would go and actively hunt others down they have exec. rights on and try to get them to be forcefully permad. That's a sad reality but it is a reality.

I hear you and that's why I like the idea of a 'good death', getting permed for a crappy reason cheapens the RP experience in my opinion. It is a difficult one, some how appeasing both side of the argument it something that will take time and may never be resolved to be honest.

27 minutes ago, Samaritan said:

This has been brought up many times before and there are several threads that are available using the search function discussing this very topic. This is a good thread posted in September by @Galaxy.

The problem you have is if a character has to be permed then all someone does is create a new name and act exactly the same as their previous character so there would not be any change to a persons RP. The other issue is for those that are in a group, by this I mean if someone is forced to perm their character and they are a leader of a group does that group then disband or do we keep changing the owner name on the group thread (that would be a pain). Permadeath is a nice idea and I can be in favour of it but only if it is what I like to call a 'good death' where it has been RP'd correctly or a storyline has come to its end and it isn't just some random death in a fire fight etc.

However I still believe in perming when there has been a 'good death' as I put it, so ultimately I believe it needs to be up to the person to perm their character at the moment.

Gotta agree with Rory, If my character was forced to perm every time it died say every 5 times I'd be making quite alot of characters 

How about if the hostile rp between the two persons continue over a month of back to back robberies and gunfights. Both the parties gain perma death on each over when executed. 

6 minutes ago, Zorbz said:

Gotta agree with Rory, If my character was forced to perm every time it died say every 5 times I'd be making quite alot of characters 

The aim with the current system, if Rolle were to implement it, would likely be that if you die a certain number of times within a set time frame you'd be forced to perm. I doubt it'd be simply at 5 he's dead.

People will disagree with me vehemently on this but, in all honesty, I'd be for a complete removal of consent to permadeath and, instead, leave it down to the roleplayers. That is to say, if I decide to permanently kill your character, there is nothing you can do to stop me on an OOC level, only an IC level. True fear comes from powerlessness but, as a roleplayer, my character is protected from being permanently killed due to a rule saying so, I am always in control of my character's fate, nobody else is. Where's the fun in that?

2 minutes ago, Para said:

The aim with the current system, if Rolle were to implement it, would likely be that if you die a certain number of times within a set time frame you'd be forced to perm. I doubt it'd be simply at 5 he's dead.

any idea on what the number of times and time frame would be?

Just now, Zorbz said:

any idea on what the number of times and time frame would be?

Unfortunately not, @Rolle is probably the best person to ask in regards to this topic. All i know is something was in the works, and i'm unsure if it still is. 

Given that the stat is "Deaths in the last 7 days" I'd guess it's not gonna be anything higher than 7. My guess though, i wouldn't quote me on it.

Just now, Para said:

Unfortunately not, @Rolle is probably the best person to ask in regards to this topic. All i know is something was in the works, and i'm unsure if it still is. 

Given that the stat is "Deaths in the last 7 days" I'd guess it's not gonna be anything higher than 7. My guess though, i wouldn't quote me on it.

@Rolle please answer

1 minute ago, Iso said:

People will disagree with me vehemently on this but, in all honesty, I'd be for a complete removal of consent to permadeath and, instead, leave it down to the roleplayers. That is to say, if I decide to permanently kill your character, there is nothing you can do to stop me on an OOC level, only an IC level. True fear comes from powerlessness but, as a roleplayer, my character is protected from being permanently killed due to a rule saying so, I am always in control of my character's fate, nobody else is. Where's the fun in that?

I agree with you and yet I disagree. I really like the idea on paper, but I have a bond with my character, and everyone should have. I don't want to loose a character I've spent 100+ hours with to some dickhead that kills me because I talked to a Doctress or because I've said something on forums that he didn't like. Every single one of us metagames at a certain level, you can try and keep IC separated from OOC, but you can't erase your mind. So as I said, I don't think this would work. People have grudges amongst each other and loosing dozens and dozens of hours of storyline to someone that just may dislike you OOC... nah, not a fan of that. 

10 minutes ago, Iso said:

Again, that's you and you are a very reasonable man to negotiate with ICly. But others would permadeath you for the simple fact of you have the most playtime. @Lady In Blue can agree with this. Some people don't hunt you for valid reasons. 

I'm a fan of the character benching, personally. Mostly because of things like this:

Real talk: Your mate or someone you generally like gets captured by some people. He cusses them out. You hear them gun him down over the radio.
Do you:

A) Riot over his death and start shit with his killers. (Viable option #1)
B) Riot over his injuries and start shit with his captors. (Viable option #2)
C) Laugh and jeer over the fact that your mate, who for all intents and purposes got executed on the spot, is skipping around no worse for wear.

A lot of people don't RP their injuries after dying, so a mandatory character benching would bring a lot of the RP benefits a permadeath provides without permadeath. It's death but you get to live. Death with benefits.

The criteria @Pein stated is pretty solid, if you're in a heavy RP situation and you get taken out of the game, you should stay out of the game for a little while.

Another possible solution to the problem posed by @Samaritan is having your new/temporary character not be associated with the buddies you have on your main, so to speak. All I've done recently is run around the map, meeting new people, there's plenty to do, but people get wrapped up in their group's progress OOCly instead of just ICly because you're playing with your mates.  

I won't suggest any rules relating that above because staff are intelligent enough to figure out something that works and would probably put more thought into it than I am just writing this right now, but basically have your alt character be unaffiliated with the people you RP with most regularly. I don't know how to enforce that, but someone else might.

Edited by Mass04

There have been tons of threads on this and I will stick with my opinion. First of all, if I were to be permad that often I would have to make a fuck ton of characters. Second of all, permaing people is honestly just fucking dumb. Most times when people have asked me for perma it was when I have barely had any RP with them. I have said it before and I will say it again, if someone gives me some actual roleplay instead of the normal *initiates* //perm to perma kill then fuck yeah ill give it to them. Third of all, admins and gms would have to look through an entire week of logs for each player to see how many times they have actually died. With the amount of times people died that would be a fuck ton of wasted time for the admins and gms when they could be doing some other shit. 

Instead of trying to make a rule to force people to perma actually try roleplaying with them. People dont need to die right off the bat after you met them. For example @Western @Sleepyhead had a group, and I had a group. They got people in my group killed. Did I ask if I could perm their characters? Nope. Just forced them to get guns and shit for me so my group which was far superior(hehe), wouldnt kill them. Roleplay is the name of the game, not killing people to ruin their fun.

Why was I tagged? Kinda confused @Mass04

... I didn't really think about it. Usually do it so people would see I mentioned them in my posts and stuff, but being the OP, you would be notified of my post anyway. Mb.

Plus it's just, you know, your name. 'Cause I was referring to you.

EDIT: Oh my god, I was reading the radio chatter you posted earlier so when I saw Pein's thread my mind replaced the "Pein" with "N-Tox." Mb sorry. I'll leave this comment unchanged so people can see I dun goofed but I'll edit the original.

Edited by Mass04

oh lmao i thought you just tagged the wrong person, to what are you referring to I legit just cant remember

54 minutes ago, Brady said:

There have been tons of threads on this and I will stick with my opinion. First of all, if I were to be permad that often I would have to make a fuck ton of characters. Second of all, permaing people is honestly just fucking dumb. Most times when people have asked me for perma it was when I have barely had any RP with them. I have said it before and I will say it again, if someone gives me some actual roleplay instead of the normal *initiates* //perm to perma kill then fuck yeah ill give it to them. Third of all, admins and gms would have to look through an entire week of logs for each player to see how many times they have actually died. With the amount of times people died that would be a fuck ton of wasted time for the admins and gms when they could be doing some other shit. 

Instead of trying to make a rule to force people to perma actually try roleplaying with them. People dont need to die right off the bat after you met them. For example @Western @Sleepyhead had a group, and I had a group. They got people in my group killed. Did I ask if I could perm their characters? Nope. Just forced them to get guns and shit for me so my group which was far superior(hehe), wouldnt kill them. Roleplay is the name of the game, not killing people to ruin their fun.

Pretty much how I would say it. +1

2 hours ago, Voodoo said:

//permission to kill

Personally I'm currently playing a bounty hunter character so perma death is almost a need for something like that, I've had to change my own style of roleplay to fit that of the servers which I've done but its annoying that I'm forced to only hurt/capture their character rather than be an actual bounty hunter and kill them.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Again, that's you and you are a very reasonable man to negotiate with ICly. But others would permadeath you for the simple fact of you have the most playtime. @Lady In Blue can agree with this. Some people don't hunt you for valid reasons. 

This is a very real thing. Seen it happen a lot within my time here.

1 hour ago, Brady said:

This reply, in my opinion, is like you didn't even read the OP. The goal was NEVER to enforce perma death, it was simply a suggestion for roleplayers to not just go straight to 

"// Permission to perma kill char?" 

Inside of a hostile situation, you have LOADS of options but sometimes it goes against your character to actually allow them to live and it annoys me when I see people keep playing the same character even though the person who captured them had a perfectly valid reason to end their lives.

1 hour ago, Mass04 said:

I'm a fan of the character benching, personally. Mostly because of things like this:

Real talk: Your mate or someone you generally like gets captured by some people. He cusses them out. You hear them gun him down over the radio.
Do you:

A) Riot over his death and start shit with his killers. (Viable option #1)
B) Riot over his injuries and start shit with his captors. (Viable option #2)
C) Laugh and jeer over the fact that your mate, who for all intents and purposes got executed on the spot, is skipping around no worse for wear.

A lot of people don't RP their injuries after dying, so a mandatory character benching would bring a lot of the RP benefits a permadeath provides without permadeath. It's death but you get to live. Death with benefits.

The criteria @Pein stated is pretty solid, if you're in a heavy RP situation and you get taken out of the game, you should stay out of the game for a little while.

Another possible solution to the problem posed by @Samaritan is having your new/temporary character not be associated with the buddies you have on your main, so to speak. All I've done recently is run around the map, meeting new people, there's plenty to do, but people get wrapped up in their group's progress OOCly instead of just ICly because you're playing with your mates.  

I won't suggest any rules relating that above because staff are intelligent enough to figure out something that works and would probably put more thought into it than I am just writing this right now, but basically have your alt character be unaffiliated with the people you RP with most regularly. I don't know how to enforce that, but someone else might.

I very much dislike it when people make a new character after permaing the old one just to go back to the same group with the same roleplay so I very much agree with you and @Samaritan +1.