Server time (UTC): 2020-01-23, 00:34 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

Let's switch to Discord

Poll  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah no...

I dont like discord, for the reason as some mentioned.

One the mere amount of channels we have is crazy enough, I am curious how well discord can handle that. I am also not sure how well it will take with say trolls coming into it, I know we can block out channels and what not. I dunno, I like the TS set up we have and how it connect to our account through UUID and we have our own channels if we have a higher donation rank.

Then I think of the many...many text channels we will have to monitor, even with bots...

I have the desktop client, cpu is i7 6700k, 16 ram etc and discord hangs and stalls. It's not well optimised. Plus the voip quality is not as good as ts. Safe bet is to stay with ts.

8 hours ago, Aiko said:

Yeah no...

I dont like discord, for the reason as some mentioned.

One the mere amount of channels we have is crazy enough, I am curious how well discord can handle that. I am also not sure how well it will take with say trolls coming into it, I know we can block out channels and what not. I dunno, I like the TS set up we have and how it connect to our account through UUID and we have our own channels if we have a higher donation rank.

Then I think of the many...many text channels we will have to monitor, even with bots...

Discord is actually alright when you get a lot of channels, I have about 30 in my discord and have been in discords with many more. It is a pain to monitor all of them though, even with just the 30 or so I have trying to keep on top of all of them when people are being super active is a bitch and bots are pretty much useless 99% of the time. They can censor certain words but they dont stop people from posting images that could still break the rules. As for the trolls its pretty much impossible, banning them slows them down until they use a VPN to bypass it which takes all of about two seconds, and sure you can put in the timer thing that makes it so they have to be in the discord X amount of time before they can speak in it but even that doesn't really discourage them that much any determined troll will just wait it out and you have no way of knowing whos really who on there as you cant track IP addresses through it at all.

fc8QLiQ.gif.b9b5210f706674a8812d551bcae77961.gif

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Monday

Sorry boss, not a fan of the PTT system on Discord. I usually only use it for open mic game sesh's with friendos.

Discord can be laggy at times, you can't guarantee stable-ness.

This video sums it up 

Seen sanctuary's discord. Honestly its a mess to try to keep up with everything. Personally I prefer forums for chat and ts to talk in person. 

Cons  :

-There is not a text channel for each separate voice channel (I.E: Anyone can see conversations from other channels unless we specifically set it up so there are faction chanells or something, but even then people in normal rooms wouldn't have anywhere to type to each other apart from private messages, and what if it's someone who text rp's and, in turn, does not have a mic for discord, so has to type, everyone in the entire discord will see what he types.

-A hell of a lot easier for randoms to join. 

-I aint changing my nickname of discord to follow server rules ;)

- No poke feature FYI = Worst change ever, yes this IS a con :D

-I guarantee you that media will be filled with memes and discord would become the next meme "thread" (Not really a con, but it is for rolle so *shrugs* 

3 hours ago, The Traveler said:

Cons  :

-There is not a text channel for each separate voice channel (I.E: Anyone can see conversations from other channels unless we specifically set it up so there are faction chanells or something, but even then people in normal rooms wouldn't have anywhere to type to each other apart from private messages, and what if it's someone who text rp's and, in turn, does not have a mic for discord, so has to type, everyone in the entire discord will see what he types.

-A hell of a lot easier for randoms to join. 

-I aint changing my nickname of discord to follow server rules ;)

- No poke feature FYI = Worst change ever, yes this IS a con :D

-I guarantee you that media will be filled with memes and discord would become the next meme "thread" (Not really a con, but it is for rolle so *shrugs* 

-You can make any number of text channels and set their permission per role or per specific member.

-You can remove permission to give invite links, and if you set @everyone to have no permission, randoms won't even see a single room in the whole server unless they've been assigned a role by a moderator.

-Nickname changes can be done per server, you don't have to change your Discord name for your name to appear differently on a specific Discord Server.

-No poke feature, but you can mention @username and they receive a notification.

-What's wrong with meme? I miss those. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How I see Discord:

Discord Pros:

• FREE ( That is a plus. )
  • Cannot be DDoSed, doesn't lag  ( Okay another plus if it is true. )
  • Easily accessible anywhere you are through desktop app, regular browser or mobile app ( TS is also easily accessible. )
  • Can message people when they are offline, see what games others are playing ( Sounds okay )
  • Notifications and mentions, just like on the website ( We have a website for that. )
  • Much more secure (no alts, VPNs or proxy trolls etc)  ( Alts/trolls are easy to ban on TS since you need to register to get permissions. )
  • Better chat and voice quality ( Really? Not in my opinion. )
  • Better group management ( You mean Staff ranks/Donator ranks or something else? )
  • Bots with custom functions like custom commands, activity tracking, quizzes, tons more ( Don't need that to be honest. )
  • Much better looking (TS looks like it came bundled with Win98)  ( Who cares? If it works it works. )
  • Multimedia extensions (embed images, videos)  ( Website? )
  • Frequently updated with new features  ( More things that you never use in my opinion )
  • We can have a widget on the front page showing who is online ( Is that necessary? )
  • Everything else ( Like...? )

Discord Cons:

• None, you have to overcome your fears, enter 21st century and let TeamSpeak go  ( Uh please no! )

TS Pros:

• Donators can have private TS channels.
  • Easy to see if everyone follows Rule 1.8.
  • People can have custom badges/descriptions and/of avatars.
  • Knowing Discord a bit you will need plus/minus 60 channels, is that possible?
  • Easy to moderate for Staff. Discord will be a hell. Well, that's Staff's problem.
  • Channels for groups.

Voted to keep TS.

1 hour ago, Ramon said:

TS Pros:

• Donators can have private TS channels.
  • Easy to see if everyone follows Rule 1.8.
  • People can have custom badges/descriptions and/of avatars.
  • Knowing Discord a bit you will need plus/minus 60 channels, is that possible?
  • Easy to moderate for Staff. Discord will be a hell. Well, that's Staff's problem.
  • Channels for groups.

* This is one of the few big issues with a migration to Discord that I see; since Discord servers are free to make, there's no reason to pay as much to go from Patron to HoF, meaning fewer people donating to reach HoF and the existing HoF'ers feeling cheated. Given, however, that most of the custom HoF channels at any given point seem to be password-protected, it seems that most HoF'ers are just using them to VoIP chat with their buddies, so I'm wondering why they didn't just use Discord to begin with.

* Rule 1.8 is still enforceable; you can customize your display name to each specific server you're a member of. HOW you do that I'm unsure of, still trying to figure it out, but I have been assured repeatedly that the feature exists, and I think I accidentally got it to work once for my GW2 group.

* You can already have custom avatars in Discord. Badges/descriptions would likely go away, but personally I don't know why people would get worked up over that. You have a website profile for that kind of stuff.

* One possibility is breaking DayZRP up into three servers; Staff/Helpdesk, Public Channels & General Game Channels, and Group Channels. Keeps it manageable. For staff monitoring, you can flip between channels and check them without leaving the VoIP channel you're currently talking in.

* Staff moderation I can't attest to. POSSIBLY one solution would be (using above system) that a permanent link to the Staff/Helpdesk server (and the public/general rooms server?) would be available to anyone who completed the whitelist on the whitelist page, but invite links to the Groups server would be the temporary ones handed out by staff or group leaders on an individual basis.

* This would be the biggest change. Switching everyone over to using Discord would (my prediction) result in most if not all the groups just making their own group server. Such a move would mean that a group's numbers and membership could NEVER be metagamed by anyone who hasn't been invited to view that groups' channels and that the group leaders would have absolute control over their members' VoIP permissions and ranks. If we use the system from two bullets up, Server #3 could just have the Open Comms for each group. Use Discord groups to list out all the members of each DayZRP group, and if you need to get in contact with them, just send a direct message; even if they're in another server (Say: their group server) they would still get the notification and could pop over to Open Comms pretty smoothly.

tl;dr All important TS features and most cosmetic ones can be replicated, the community would just have to get used to doing things differently.

I personally enjoy Teamspeak more than I do discord, so I voted for that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can however see how people like discord better due to it being shinier and having more features (it's what all the hip kids use nowadays) and how it's more cost-effective for Rolle to switch to Discord due to it being free.

But we should either have one of the other, not both. Both will just cause another fracture in the community (with people no longer being in teamspeak and others not going to discord, making in-game communication vastly more difficult amongst groups).

I think the consensus so far is that yes TeamSpeak maybe buggy, but if it's not broken beyond repair.... why fix it ?

2 hours ago, Jango said:

I think the consensus so far is that yes TeamSpeak maybe buggy, but if it's not broken beyond repair.... why fix it ?

Discord is a lesser quality voice communication program. Its like switching from an iphone to a cb radio.

+100 from me.

Took me a while to get used to Discord, but now that I'm used to it I wouldn't want to use anything else.

Is this happening then? 

Just now, OnionRingOfDoom said:

Is this happening then? 

As you can see from the poll, nope :)