Server time: 2018-12-11, 12:21
InnKinn

Is DayZRP losing popularity?

As much as I hate to question DayZRP as it's been my second home for just over a year, I couldn't help but notice the server's been rather.... quiet.

I remember when I first started I would be waiting for about 20-30 minutes because of the queue, in fact it was the same story for both the servers!
Now it just feels like there's a handful of loyal players left, I've seen the server maxed out only a handful of times in the past few months.

Although I could be wrong, is the server maxed out once all the US players log in?

Its no secret that there's been a steady decline in popularity, though I wouldn't let that deter you from RPing on the servers as there's still lots of good RP to be found out there. Server usually doesn't get maxed out until the weekend, usually you've got a 10ish queue then around peak times on Fri/Sat. My suspicion is that people are biding their time, waiting for the beta to drop, playing other games in the meanwhile. 

you would be correct 

Nail

Head

You

Just

Hit

It

At the moment, DayZ as a whole, not just DayZRP, has its population tied to updates

28fa357dbb.png

Down about 50% of people playing the game since the same time 3.5 months ago. The population everywhere is being effected.

It will always pick back up once new updates hit hell i didn't play because I was waiting for 0.60 to drop a while back.

Edited by Blu

I feel as though once beta hits the game will get a lot of attention, therefore, the community will gain new members and old members coming back to play with mods and stuff.

DayZ is like a zombie; it keeps dying but then sparks back to life (when the next update hits)

The next update will be one of the largest and most hyped updates since the release of the standalone. I'm sure that alot of people will return but I do think that the update will bring some new people. There are a few promising features for the future that will continue to make people return/keep playing.

It's quiet now, yes, but when the beta hits in 2020 it will be as busy as before again :) 

Yes, mainly due to the dumpster fire that is dayz development 

Popularity rises and falls with every game, especially with different updates.
I remember that when i first started playing DayZ i played almost all the time, but when they released an update that broke the food spawns i stopped playing for a couple months until they fixed it, and then it became my favorite game again. It remains my favorite game now, even though I cant play because of my internet.

When BETA releases things will get alot better, I wouldnt be surprised if we have to reopen server 2 or even server 3 once BETA comes around.
And even if we dont get a whole lot of players back as soon as it hits, after beta is released then we will still see a steady rise in players over time as people see content on twitch, youtube, ect. 

78f70f3f406f57c680a9c1cc3f2683f9.png

DayZ's development, roll out and marketing is a trash heap.

3,744,645 copies sold and the all time peak was only 45,548 4 years ago. 

Only 3.23% of people who bought DayZ have played the game in the last 2 weeks.

c26ff055faf7a606e7fc4a76c6034aa2.png

The above graph shows the peak amount of players every day on DayZ in blue, twitch viewers are in red. As we can see, since DayZ's release in 2014 (Marked with the A flag) DayZ has been steadily losing players. I'd like to quickly address the whole "Beta will bring the players back" Argument. Mid 2016 on the graph above there is a massive spike in players for around 3 days. That was .62, The same update that people raved about how it would save the game! How it would bring back players!

The issue with DayZ isn't in its mechanics or its content, the issue with DayZ is DayZ. The Data doesn't lie here, Even if Beta bring about a full 360 in development. Do you really think its going to bring players back in? I applaud you for your optimism if you do, but if any of you care about this community in the slightest you would be pushing Rolle and the rest of the DayZRP community to find a more viable option like Arma 3.

f0eff5f685584490823d970fa0922a77.png

I'm not just here to bash DayZ, I am here to offer a solution and a reason why we should switch to Arma 3. Above is a graph with the peak players on each day since its release, A marks early access, B marks full release, C marks first DLC and D marks a massive sale. As we can see, Arma 3 has gained players since it arguable as bad as DayZ release. I believe that as much as people are argue against it, Arma 3 is the only viable option when it comes to the future of DayZRP.  DayZ will never succeed in today's market plays and there for any community that is attached to DayZ will die with it.

In my eyes Dayzrp is a "Dayz - RP" community rp server whatever you wanna call it, most people would probably say just find a arma 3 community if you don't currently want to play on the community, and there are 100's or a few on other games you might like but over alll I don't think switching games would be considered. Though who am I to say.

Barely being able to keep one server shows that dayz is a dying game and i agree with henning for the most part. I dont really see beta, even if it is great,  bringing back the player base for amy extended period of time because dayz itself can become repetitive and boring.

That's what happens when it takes you forever to develop an early access game. They bit off to much than they can chew if you ask me. This community would be better playing another game IMO.

DayZ as a whole is suffering immensely from population decline, what we see occurring within DayZRP regarding a population drop is merely a side effect of the games population decline. We should expect a population spike shortly after the next update but that will not last if modding is not released as well as the ability to host your own dedicated servers for the game.

Personally, I would want to change to a more developed game which allows these things at the moment.

In the mean time, do not let the fact that DayZ's population as a whole deter you from playing on any roleplaying server.

Edited by Hebi Kotei

I feel as though a combination between PR (for this community) being worked on and Beta hitting, we should see such a high amount of new content and new people that the servers will become flush with popularity again.

Currently, DayZ is very stale, it's a re-hash of everything we've already seen. It gets repetitive, and when we don't see anything new for a lengthy amount of time, we get bored, and people stop playing. That being said, new content, especially with an entirely re-worked engine that we saw in the Gamescom video, all should be fine.

The popularity has nothing to do with this community in particular, it's the game DayZ itself that's in a pre-patch state and as usual numbers dip greatly due to the boring state of the game after lack of new content to experience. Numbers will go up again when then new patch hits, both in our community and the regular servers as well.

No. I think it is losing activity. Less people are playing but the game and the idea are still popular. People want to play such as myself, but haven't for a long time because we want beta and it is simply that time of year where life gets busy.

DayZ sucks. People grow tired of waiting for the bi-yearly updates and stop playing. When people stop playing normal DayZ, there are less roleplayers for said game. Out of our control at this point. 

It won't be long before the last blip on Dayz's cardiac scanner flat lines. The DayZ devs have killed the patience of even the most loyal of fans. We need a new platform but it's not like side projects actually ever take off.

If the beta patch for dayz flops which it inevitably will just like every other patch that has come out, can we get with the times finally and go to arma 3?

I'll be the first to admit DayZ is a heap of trash, it has been since it was released. The only reason I play DayZ is for the RP. Arma 3 would be the best choice to go to but its been tried here before and like all the other side projects it eventually died. If the community was to fully go over to Arma 3 we would have to take a good look at why it failed in the past like with Desolation.

Since I have a good few years of experience with developing for Arma 3 communities and advising countless community owners, I think I should put my ”professional” opinion here.

I first started with what is now considered a controversial mod in Arma 3 which was Arma 3 Life. It was the most popular thing on Arma 3 right before its release to the testing phase because of the hype around it. The hype was mostly because of fancy objects and systems shown on videos that actually weren’t as ready to be released as they seemed. This was a problem for the development team that consisted of 3 scripters and only one of them being capable of actually creating the at the time groundbreaking systems and scripts. It didn’t help that the development was a mess without good communication and the project lead didn’t listen to other developers for feedback.

So, in conclusion, we had huge pressure from a huge audience and a messy development team and we also had a set release date - and nothing but small bits and pieces to release. I myself said we should push the release date back and start working on a solid framework that puts together our pieces of systems. The others had something (IMO worse) in mind: let’s use something that is available to us but that won’t be anything new, good nor something we can build a good mod on (It was also a very grey zone in terms of who can use the framework they ended up using).

This eventually ended up with the project lead asking 30$ of money from every player for something that was 110% half-arsed and I think we all know the outcome and downfall that ensued a bit after resulting in countless new modifications ripping off the semi-original assets and unoriginal slightly modified framework. (Note: I did eventually distance myself from this as I think it was unethical)

Do you see where I’m going with this already? It’s been a while now that I’ve realized that this is essentially what happened with DayZ as well. Maybe not exactly but if you read between the lines well enough, you’ll see it.

bCoxHn7.jpg

(Eugen - I think it was posted on twitter by the community manager Baty)

They had a (relatively) small development team and a huge pressure so they ran with the option of building on top of what they knew was already available to them (Real Virtuality / Arma 2.5 / Arma Legacy). This was a bad choice in the long run because they sooner or later realized that their goals were unrealistic for the expectations that were set for them by Dean or whoever was leading the team at that point. It’s like you build a house on a rotten foundation and hope that everything will somehow stick together. Then Dean left and the team was left with a huge project on a shit foundation and they eventually had to make the choice to prioritize the development of a new foundation (Enfusion).

Now we are in a situation in which I would have been comfortable in if this was the case for the Arma 3 Life mod. They have a solid foundation fairly ready and they can begin to put together the house with the walls and doors that are already planned and somewhat ready. This also means they can let people start modding because the final foundation of the game is done so mods don’t have to be constantly updated as the foundation is updated.

Obviously, it is apparent that there is a decrease in players but the reality is that the development team should have been smart and not even release the game back when they did. They should have released it into early access now that they have something to work with. I’m not saying the number of active players will increase, but who knows.

I would end this long ass post here but I’d like to address the idea of moving to Arma 3 since people have eagerly suggested it.

As I prefaced, I’ve then after my endeavours with the ultimately failed project, (on my part, not so much on the project leads who cash grabbed around $300,000 according to the wildest estimations) had some dealings with other communities one of which was a project I contributed a year of my time, scripting and map making to (NerdsRPG) and after a year everything fell apart even though we had a solid base audience.

Another one I wasn’t involved with so heavily but did follow up on from time to time because we were negotiating on and off about me working for them but that didn’t work out. Just a while back they closed their Arma 3 servers for the last time.

When DayZRP opened its new Desolation just a short while ago, I offered my help with the scripting as I do have some experience but even before I could start the work the project was discontinued.

The common trend here is that Arma 3 mods/servers/communities do not exactly survive long. Especially in the last few months, I’ve seen many Arma 3 communities run empty servers most of the time because the player base has moved to GTA V roleplaying (which is superb when done well btw) and new titles like PUBG.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Arma 3 and I actually still develop my open source project for it on GitHub with a few other developers but I would HIGHLY advise against moving over to Arma 3 right now and especially because soon we will be able to work with a functional base for our beloved game.

If Rolle decides to move to the Arma 3 direction though, I’d be willing to help out and pitch some new ideas.

If you actually read through this, props to you. If not, TLDR: I can relate to DayZ development team because of my history and I suggest we stick to DayZ.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:21 AM, Blu said:

I'll be the first to admit DayZ is a heap of trash, it has been since it was released. The only reason I play DayZ is for the RP. Arma 3 would be the best choice to go to but its been tried here before and like all the other side projects it eventually died. If the community was to fully go over to Arma 3 we would have to take a good look at why it failed in the past like with Desolation.

Well you're not the first to admit it. Many admitted it that DayzSA is not on par with what the mod used to be. Surely it has improved over the last few years, but it's still the bastard child that should have been, but never was.

Before Dayz SA was released this community was a whole lot different. We had actual fun. Then suddenly NO fun allowed, and and unfinished crap game was released.

Then again, I never understood why Dayz SA ever got popular with the new players. The mod died because too few people played it, and the old core players left DayzRP. Meanwhile Rolle and the admin team tried many compromises such as several mod versions and SA side by side, but then again, people stuck to the horrible unstable crap game that is SA.

But I digress, SA has become better. It just took them so many years to make a little bit progress.

Vehicles are still useless, zombies are still bugged, melee weapons useless and the loot system is still weird. There's still no new map unlike the mod which had tons of them, no boats, no fishing, no aircraft and other end game loot. Fixing vehicles is a pain in the ass. there's no epoch basebuilding system. 

DayzSA is very complicated in terms of items. So many items. I like that about SA, but it's the only thing I like about it.

the MOD was cash. People had fun and DayzSA ruined everything. 

The probable reason people leave is because dayzSA did not change for the past years. It's just as is, no new content, no progression.

The game gets boring. People want something new to do. You cannot have the same lootcycle on foot and being robbed, or robbing people over and over again for years without a single change. It's done. Bohemia must either release the source for modding, or go and do something about it. 

Or the game will die. The community depends on the game.