Server time: 2019-03-24, 03:42 WE ARE RECRUITING
The Nikitin Prodejna - Trade Post Event
TODAY | 2019-03-24 17:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 13 hours, 17 minutes
Tyler Chambers

Is it possible to make a currency?

I'm sure this has been asked before. But I think it would be cool to have something to replace bills that mean nothing anymore. Any suggestions?

The things that are currently currency in my opinion:

• Drugs
  • Alcohol 
  • Smokeable products (Cigarettes, Cigars, Rolling tobacco ect) 
  • Canned Goods
  • Water
  • Ammunition 
  • Firearms 
  • Medical Supplies
  • Sex (Yeah, I don't fuck with yall ERP nibbas) but realistically it would.

Pretty much the current currency. 

Edited by Beni

Just now, Beni said:

• Smoke able products (Cigarettes, Cigars, Rolling tobacco ect) 

Heisenberg ect.

well i just use ammo tbh

There was this trading company that used Mosin rounds as currency before the lorewipe. I don't remember who it was though...

In terms of ammo, I'd say .22 is probably the most viable to be using. Stacks up to 50 while only taking up one slot and isn't ridiculously hard to get. Depending on the availability prices can obviously change.

Edited by Ducky

I made a decently long write-up on in-game trading groups a month or so ago where I talk about currency among other things. You can check that out here if you're interested.

@Tyler Chambers This is something that's being discussed IC at the following event:

Edited by Loscham

My group and I actually had a conversation about this a few days ago, and the item we came up with was Brass Knuckles for reasons below:

1. They're rare, but not too rare.

2. There are 2 variations; Silver and Gold Brass Knuckles currently in game

3. Each variation can be worth a different amount.

4. It's somewhat realistic in that Gold and Silver are kind of used as currency already IRL.

5. Nobody really uses them in game as actual brass knuckles.

Edited by Jordan Rainey

25 minutes ago, Jordan Rainey said:

My group and I actually had a conversation about this a few days ago, and the item we came up with was Brass Knuckles for reasons below:

1. They're rare, but not too rare.

2. There are 2 variations; Silver and Gold Brass Knuckles currently in game

3. Each variation can be worth a different amount.

4. It's somewhat realistic in that Gold and Silver are kind of used as currency already IRL.

5. Nobody really uses them in game as actual brass knuckles.

I use them as actual brass knuckles. Theyre OP on infected and players.

Just now, Keira said:

I use them as actual brass knuckles. Theyre OP on infected and players.

Is that so? That's honestly the first I've heard of them being used.

In my opinion it's still a better option than something like ammo. Ammo is used way more than brass knuckles as actual ammo, so people won't want to use their rare ammo as currency as much as brass knuckles.

If someone plays a PMC Character or a Bounty Hunter, perhaps favors or pay-backs can be used in exchange for getting a contract done.

I feel compelled to play devil's advocate here (or maybe just a buzzkill, but that's not my intention!)

Isn't it too early to be considering a currency? Hear me out. My rationale here is that we're not quite two months in to this event, and while the more panic-stricken of the uninfected portion of the population are likely to be preaching doomsday, I'd argue that more people have the idea that this can be ridden out and while this is bad, it's not the end of the world.

To that effect, I'd further posit that people would be bartering, and it's not just a semantic issue here. The idea of a currency, which would have to be backed by a group that is feared or respected enough, just doesn't meet those requirements yet. I don't want to sound like I'm just against it, but I think it warrants consideration. The flip side of the coin is that a group could say they ARE backing a currency and just try and lead the charge... the CDF, or even a group that's holding less sway (though obviously that's less likely to succeed, however still good potential for RP).

Edited by YourLeftHand
Oh shit I didn't need to say any of this, Law-o7 did plenty. Just ignore this though I keep it here as a cautionary tale to others to others

Items offered as barter really are the best currency out there right now. Meds, ammo, etc.

Personally I feel as currency ammunition is probably the best way to go. You could use .22 rounds, which A) Are not used as the bullet of choice by 99.999% of people, and B) they are already in use as currency in Cherno. SP-6 rounds could be used as a larger bill, perhaps 50 .22 for one SP-6. They have the same qualities as the .22 rounds, but are extremely rare. Realistically we'd still be using Cash at this point, whether Chernarussian or American, but it's not in the game so we have to make due.

I’m of the opinion that the whole currency should go back to the time where men didn’t even use money, as an example: Back in the day you traded a cow for a goat, you gave services and got payed back in services. We should start trading in things we need.

Tbh, 5.56 is gold. 

Although, I think it might be a bit too soon to start looking for a default currency. If you were running a market thing, you could set your currency. Ammunition is probably the best, if not medical supplies like morphine and saline. I think right now, an economy more focused on bartering would make the most sense right now. Eventually, a default currency would be cool.

A group that I'm planning on making will only use one currency. However, we'll accept payment in other items but the cost will be higher. 

This all can be established on an IC level

Edited by Hebi Kotei

A currency is a pretty ambitious idea, and I have never personally seen one done in-game, but I'm sure it has been.  

People can also easily neglect a currency and just get items by searching for things as normal, or by robbing people.  This is a cool idea, but I think you have to have a lot of people on board with adding value to a otherwise semi-common item.  I think it'd be wise to make the item something other than ammo, as it is legitimately useful and it would have multiple purposes besides value.  Making the currency ammunition is probably the most straight forward option, but as it is basically just normal trading at that point.

If you're thinking of making a currency,  try and get people on board with it in-game, having it organized OOC is sort of annoying defeats the purpose of role play...  Also maybe wait a bit.

Making a currency sounds good. But will make it hard to implant 

I'd have to agree with Focus , If we did try to incur a currency. It would need to be universal , if we can get it known as the universal currency then it could work. I feel like the currency should be something rare, ammo isn't really rare and books are rather easy to find.

Inb4 modding tools and we use bottle caps as currency! lol.

Keks aside, It might be a little too early for currencies to develop in my opinion. It's been what, 50 somewhat days. Developing a new official currency wouldn't make a whole lot of sense yet. I think we're right now still in the area of, doing favors, trading items amongst each other etc.

Hmm I like the idea, but most of the time people simply use ammunition for currency.

I believe some were using books at one time, I enjoy when people use stuff that isn't easy to come by. Makes it more interesting, but as some said its a bit early for that and not try and force it. Let it come naturally. 

Currencies were based on physical commodities such as gold or silver until recently. To create a new currency, you'd have to stockpile a ridiculous amount of something deemed valuable in a post-apocalypse world. Ammo or tobacco is a commodity, not a currency of its own, else it's just trade/barter. Gameplay-wise, I'd say chances of that happening are slim. Unless you can make people have faith in your economical model to sustain itself (like the real world, it's fucked up btw), you'll have to be crazy powerful.

If you need food, I'll trade you some for most of your belongings. If you're not happy with my fee, you'll try to smoke my greedy ass, and that's fair game. I think it's more fun this way; however I'd be down with some fat oligarch running South Zagoria as his own little playground, having the livelihood of everyone in his greasy palm. That'd be dope.

Edited by Pontiff