Server time: 2018-09-26, 15:36

Roland

Baiting

In general these seem pretty straight forward. If folks are being Fuck-asses they should get banned. I would also like to see false report get an update, or re-clarification. As it seems a fair amount of the community finds it entertaining to waste 10-15 ppls time to cry about dying in a valid firefight. 

15 hours ago, Shadows said:

Yeah!!!! 

Screw hostile RP!

Honestly same. Whats the point in doing hostile RP. I remember when I was banned for baiting for this one of these reasons. Hostile RP will die off if these rules keep coming in favor of the goodie old chap with the campfire and stick at the fire. smh  

Edited by DarkSide
dude i cant fucking type

5 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Hostile RP will die off if these rules keep coming in favor of the goodie old chap with the campfire and stick at the fire. smh  

These rules are in favor of prioritizing role play, lowering focus on mindless PvP and making sure everyone is playing fair with other players without being a massive cunt. They have nothing to do with campfire RP or giving peaceful RPers an advantage.

If your definition of hostile RP is baiting others to get some cheap kills like described in the examples I provided then I hate to break it to you, but that is not hostile RP, that is just PvPing on a no-KoS server. If that's the case you should rethink your stay in this role play community.

On 8/24/2017 at 4:43 AM, Mexi said:

In the eyes of the vast majority the rule was fine but I guess it's time to tighten the grip around the section of RP you dislike.

Thanks for the update, Rolle.

fpbp

Dunno know about this one lads, seems another under the covers anti-pvp sentiment without full discussion about it prior to being instated to the rules

But it's not a change to the rules.  It's a clarification.  This is how the rules were always intended to be understood, but since they weren't written perfectly, people have been abusing the flaw. Aside from DayZ, and the reporting game, finding flaws in the rules is the most popular game we play here.  

8 hours ago, Rolle said:

These rules are in favor of prioritizing role play, lowering focus on mindless PvP and making sure everyone is playing fair with other players without being a massive cunt. They have nothing to do with campfire RP or giving peaceful RPers an advantage.

If your definition of hostile RP is baiting others to get some cheap kills like described in the examples I provided then I hate to break it to you, but that is not hostile RP, that is just PvPing on a no-KoS server. If that's the case you should rethink your stay in this role play community.

Not gonna lie here but you just sat me down here Rolle. I appreciate the clarification on the baiting rule. 

I really want to get your opinion or an answer as to @Joffrey's question, @Rolle.

I've seen an influx in reports which should be declared a," False Report," get closed out or given a N/A verdict.

23 hours ago, Hollows said:

I really want to get your opinion or an answer as to @Joffrey's question, @Rolle.

I've seen an influx in reports which should be declared a," False Report," get closed out or given a N/A verdict.

Not an official reply, but back when I was in staff, we'd only look at 'False Report' if we thought OP was motivated by OOC Hate or otherwise trying to get away with something.

In order to have a false report, you must prove malice aforethought, which can be a pretty high bar to pass.

Traditionally, staff decides whether or not to pursue a false report, but they may also choose to entertain politely made requests, particularly if there is some kind of beef between the litigants, or extenuating circumstances that staff is not otherwise aware of.

On 8/24/2017 at 0:21 PM, Sin said:

I for one voted for El Presidente and love it when he says "I got this".  But then, I do love mischief and chaos.

When party A walks into B's camp and steals a rifle, I can see how that's considered baiting.  Why?  Cuz A is mobile and B is not.  Cuz A has nothing and can split up running in all directions, while B has to stay in one place to defend their shit.  Cuz A could easily have set up overwatch beforehand and be prepared to destroy half of B before they can get two shots off.

If a thief from A steals a rifle from B, and B tries to get it back (without initiating), maybe the rest of A should encourage their boy to give the rifle back.  Maybe the rest of A could engage B in some sort of conflict resolution instead of escalation.  Maybe A could offer to purchase or trade for B's rifle.  Maybe the thief and the rightful owner could arm wrestle for it, or step outside the camp and settle the matter like gentlepersons.  Maybe we could all RP instead of killing one another.

Nah, that's just stupid.  Never mind.

I wish I could give you more beanz for this most brilliant post. I feel the same way and encourage RP over Conflict everyday, allday. Thanks for the update Rolle! Stay awesome!!

On 8/24/2017 at 11:38 AM, Rolle said:

4. Two groups are hostile towards each other. Your group knows the position of the second group, so they send you in alone to their location so that you get initiated on and are taken hostage. Meanwhile, the rest of your group takes positions around the area in anticipation of the initiation. You get initiated on and draw the other group out of their cover. Your group then fires and kills the opposing group with ease, as your group didn't have to go through the risk of having to initiate on them and you helped to draw them out of defensive positions. You get banned for baiting, as risking your life and using tactics where people are sent in as bait straight to the enemy in order to gain self-defense kill rights for your group is considered baiting.

A question about this one,

Because I often have had situations where a very similar scenario happens and I wonder whether or not it would fall under the same boat.

If I have a meeting with someone that is potentially hostile to me or is an actual enemy I often go to meet them, but almost always go in to meet them alone with overwatch to cover my back just in case something happens. I never go in with the intent that a firefight should happen, I have hidden overwatch with me to ensure my safety in a hostile zone. I also dont do this with the intent to let them know the meeting is even going to be taking place so that the meeting is more on my terms then theirs.

I'd love to hear from you where the line is drawn considering meeting someone alone and having your allies stay back is a tactic, not just me but other people have used in the past so that their safety can be assured.  The people that I have seen pulling this tactic have never really been pvp heavy people and just like me rather avoid it but still prep for it.

I pulled a very similar situation on @Loscham once the only difference is that time I actually went in with a group instead of going in with everyone.

So I guess to make a long complicated question short

TLDR; Is going in alone with a security detail on overwatch to meet an enemy baiting? And if yes is it truly fair to limit that to having everybody go into a place where they then are at the disadvantage? Because that would limit the options for safe diplomacy between two groups that are hostile to each other.

21 hours ago, RedSky said:

TLDR; Is going in alone with a security detail on overwatch to meet an enemy baiting? And if yes is it truly fair to limit that to having everybody go into a place where they then are at the disadvantage? Because that would limit the options for safe diplomacy between two groups that are hostile to each other.

No.  That's called covering your ass, bruv.

Two groups are hostile towards each other. Your group knows the position of the second group, so they send you in alone to their location so that you get initiated on and are taken hostage. Meanwhile, the rest of your group takes positions around the area in anticipation of the initiation. You get initiated on and draw the other group out of their cover. Your group then fires and kills the opposing group with ease, as your group didn't have to go through the risk of having to initiate on them and you helped to draw them out of defensive positions. You get banned for baiting, as risking your life and using tactics where people are sent in as bait straight to the enemy in order to gain self-defense kill rights for your group is considered baiting.

Just for clarification: Is there any way that a group can lay an "ambush" for another group? the element of surprise is a big deal in terms of tactics, and forcing the entire group to be present for the initiation seems a bit overkill. Or does this only apply to them initiating? So if the ambushing group sent one man ahead to initiate, is that allowed? Or is it no value for life? 

More so, is there any way two groups can fight in something other than a pitched battle?

Of course you can do an ambush and wait for someone in a city or somewhere else and initiate. But you can't just sent one guy in from your group so he gets initiated on and then you start to kill the people in town. 

Yes, that would be definitely NVFL when you sent one person in to initiate since he has no chance of survival against a group of people. 

I think the problem is people who can't RP properly and need rules which hurts people who can do quality RP properly. It's sad that it has to be this way.