Server time: 2017-10-17, 06:04
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boomstick

So where do you report being KOS'd?

Guest Boomstick   
Guest Boomstick

I was in Berenzino, found a bus, not a soul around, hopped in started driving and bam sniped with what appeared to be a 50 cal (had 12000 blood and 1 shot took me out)

Someone must have parked the bus there and decided to use it as bait for a trap to loot unsuspecting travelers. Nothing was written in chat, nothing was said over voice. Thought this kind of behavior was against the rules? It's the reason I try to play on this server but watch it sit at 60/60.

Lost some good weapons and good gear. If this is just going to be like every other server then why have rules to make it more friendly?

The culprit admitted to setting up a trap in chat. Stated I was "in the wrong place at the wrong time"

So they were planning to KOS someone else. Pretty clear they admit to breaking the rules setting up traps to kill without any kind of warning.

RVfms.jpg

brunow    0

Rolle,

grab the ban hammer.

I've tried to edit the first post, but the 10 min restriction got in the way, so here it goes:

I do believe this is considered KOS, since you are alluring an innocent player.

It doesn't matter if was meant for somebody else, using a bait to get somebody killed goes against the rules of this server.

Even better, we have a confession.

... so anything besides a ban it's a lack of respect, IMO.

Also, stories always have two sides, so before a final decision it's recommended to listen the ones responsible for this action.

Spok    0

IMO, it's a KoS. But not against the rules, it's AROUND the rules :)

Rules state that if someone is stealing your vehicle - you can shoot the bastard. That was not Boomstick's bus - he was in - BAM! - he's dead. So you practically discussing the moral aspects of such event.

If you see FULLY REPAIRED vehicle, just standing there - it's someone's vehicle. You enter it - you're a thief. Lesson learned.

It was intended theft of a vehicle on the Boomstick's side, but Rolle is up to decide, not me. My 5 cents here :)

RealSheriff    0

I think shooting someone who try to steal your vehicle is one thing. Someone who put a vehicle somewhere with the pure intention to allure people to get close to then KoS them with a good rule excuse is something completely different.

But your right Spok, the ruls are bit shady here... You can not shoot anyone who get close to your tent/base/gear, you have to tell them to step back and only allowed to shoot them if they don't comply.

Vehicles on the other hand. Theoretically you can park a vehicle in cherno and go to a nice sniper distance to snipe everybody who tries to examine/enter. Ok. extreme example but you get the picture?. Don't say the rule is wrong because would be a mess if someone hop in your vehicle and drive off and you can't shoot the thief without hailing first (whats difficult if one just drive off before you can react).

DayZ rules are short and not made for LA lawyers, thats a good thing. And the admin do a great job to lay them out for the issues that happens.

Up to the admins to decide but I think to place a vehicle as bait with the intention to KoS someone does not fit into the 'allowed to shoot if someone rob my car'-rule. Should that be allowed I'm afraid we get a lot happy snipers.

Rolle    2926

Bait vehicles are fine, as long as you are using them within reason. The example with vehicle in Cherno wouldn't be ok as it isn't targeted at a specific person and is there just to kill people.

In cases like that we can't really make rules that cover all of these situations - they will have to handled by an admin from case to case.

Spok    0

So the King have spoken! :) I knew we were discussing just the moral side of this case here. See that fully repaired vehicle? Don't get in, 'cause there's a big chance that someone's looking at the driver seat through the as-50's scope, no? :)

Sorry for the flood.

RealSheriff    0

I was in Berenzino, found a bus, not a soul around, hopped in started driving and bam sniped with what appeared to be a 50 cal (had 12000 blood and 1 shot took me out)

Sounds a bit like the Cherno-Example... Hmm ok there was a reason.. to kill people of a specific group... on sight. Though they shoot at all people approaching the vehicle with a 50cal sniper. What exactly is the difference to the Cherno-Example from my earlier post?

Just curious, the rules get a bit shady here :).

Spok    0

Well, you can see it like: approachihg someone's vehicle is not a crime by itself, and if no warning has been made and you get shot - it's a KoS. If you ENTER someone's vehicle, it's basically a theft attempt, and you can be shot without any warning - it's not a KoS.

BUT! If someone's near your vehicle you can't surely tell if he's looting it or not. So any killing in this case considered a KoS. So warn him, and if you can't - it's your problem, chase him down and rob or leave him be.

Thet's competely my point.

P.S. Is it that hard to avoid repaired vehicles? Even if there's a great chance you get killed for entering it?

RealSheriff    0

Even unrepaired vehicles can be owned. Guess we all have to be a lot more cautious about that. Though even examine the surounding of a vehicle can't help you against a 50cal sniper from a good position.

Right, here is the story from our side.

We had been tracking a group of 5/6 players who were heading through Berezino moving through each of the industrial spawns. We were positioned at the end industrial spawn, next to the end of the rail road, in which the bus was parked. Two of us were ontop on the building next to the bus, and one positioned ontop of another building on the docks (the 50cal in question). The original plan was that we were hoping the group would either move towards the final industrial spawn or take interest in the bus. At this point we were going to announce that we had them surrounded and that it was a robbery. We were never going to KoS any of them.

What actually happened was that we were watching the group just running out the docks, down the coast a bit, possibly intending to move towards our trap.We had spotted Boomstick a few minutes earlier on the docks, but he ran out of our LoS and we lost him, however we did not believe he was going to be a threat to us so we did not focus on the fact we could no longer see him. Suddenly, we hear the engine turn on, and I ran towards the side of the building that I could see the bus from to see whether he was actually moving, but by the time I got there he was too far away for him to be able to hear me through voice chat, or if he could hear me it would have been too faint and would not be able to be heard over the engine. This is when the sniper took the shot, as did I, however the 50 cal shot hit and killed him. At this point the bus was near the petrol station.

The group of players turned away from heading towards our location and ran directly north of us into a field. At the point, if we were planning to KoS people as multiple people have suggested in this thread, we could have killed all of them. But we didn't because that is not what we are about and we play by the rules. We believed that we were not breaking the rules by killing Boomstick, as he had taken our vehicle and we could not contact him, what else could we do? And in the rules it states 'Killing other players is ONLY allowed in following situations: - Another player is stealing your items/vehicles or - Another player has stolen your items/vehicles, you have 2 hours to reclaim them before they are no longer considered yours.' So we believed we were well within the rules.

I myself have been killed whilst looting a tent that was not mine, without any contact from the murderer, and I lost very high tier gear. However that kill was within the rules, I was looting the tent (although I hadn't taken any items before I got killed) so the owner had the right to kill me.

So, Boomstick, We are sorry that we killed you, we did not intend to kill anyone unless they resisted our robbery and were hostile towards us. We were taken by suprise with the situation that arose and we had to react quickly, and we reacted in a manner that we believed was within the rules. At the end of the day, you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Guest Boomstick   
Guest Boomstick

IMO, it's a KoS. But not against the rules, it's AROUND the rules :)

Rules state that if someone is stealing your vehicle - you can shoot the bastard. That was not Boomstick's bus - he was in - BAM! - he's dead. So you practically discussing the moral aspects of such event.

If you see FULLY REPAIRED vehicle, just standing there - it's someone's vehicle. You enter it - you're a thief. Lesson learned.

It was intended theft of a vehicle on the Boomstick's side, but Rolle is up to decide, not me. My 5 cents here :)

How does one know he is stealing a vehicle? People run out of gas all the time and dump vehicles. People park vehicles places then log out and forget about them. It sounds to me like it's breaking the rules to set a trap with a vehicle and snipe the driver 2 seconds after they get in. I had time to press W to start moving forward and glanced up at how much fuel was in it and bam I was 1 shot by a 50 cal sniper who was waiting for someone to take the bait.

There were no people around the vehicle. There was no activity in chat or voice. There was no indication the vehicle belonged to anyone.

I can understand if I was with a group of people and when the driver got out I tried to jump in the driver seat. I can understand if there are people around it and I ran past them to get in the driver seat. I can understand if they even said over voice "Get out of our vehicle" as I would have got out. I'm a very peaceful player. Typically I play as a medic running all over the place giving people transfusions and morphine. That's why I wanted to play on a server that didn't allow KOS because people usually immediately turn on medics after they save their lives and I was hoping this place wouldn't be so cold hearted. I guess I was wrong as people seem to do whatever necessary to bend the rules so they can KOS and steal everyone's stuff.

Bait vehicles are fine, as long as you are using them within reason. The example with vehicle in Cherno wouldn't be ok as it isn't targeted at a specific person and is there just to kill people.

In cases like that we can't really make rules that cover all of these situations - they will have to handled by an admin from case to case.

If that's the way it is then you can keep your server. I'll make sure to not step foot on it again as it's definitely not as advertised when you let bandits bend the rules to their needs. Good day to you.

RealSheriff    0

Thanks rolle for clarifying the rules. At least my writing was about the rule view in general, picking the case as example for it.

About tents... I read some admin wrote you can't just shoot someone who's approaching your tent, you have to tell them to back off (guess the vehicle has a different rule because you can't drive a tent away :P).

Probably a FAQ to the rules would be nice. The rules are very basic, and thats a good thing. But I mean newcomers can't be aware of cases which happens in the grey zone of rules. Could lower the amount of KoS reports.