Server time: 2019-03-25, 21:00 WE ARE RECRUITING
turtlemilk

What Makes A Good Character Page?

What are the qualities a good character page has? Opinions? Examples? A question for not only myself, but possibly for others looking to improve.

For sure a background that's unique and has had a good amount of thought going into it. If you have the option for music then something that suits the char and his background or something like that.

Not saying mine are perfect either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There really isnt a best character page. In my opinion, if the character page has a good background and good pictures, as well as all the boxes filled out, its a good character page. Background stories are cool to add too, but unless someone is obsessed with your character they're probably not going to read it. However I can't speak for others.

A good character page is one with thought put into it. Boring characters with little work put in/unfinished boxes are uninteresting. I doubt too many people will read them anyways. 

Another good thing is a character that has human features NOT a military super soldier who knows 12 languages 

9 hours ago, William said:

There really isnt a best character page. In my opinion, if the character page has a good background and good pictures, as well as all the boxes filled out, its a good character page. Background stories are cool to add too, but unless someone is obsessed with your character they're probably not going to read it. However I can't speak for others.

what will said almost to a T,

Just flesh it out and make it seem like a living breathing person rather than a baseball card with stats.

A picture of a not too famous actor/actress (Walking Dead pictures are a no go), a unique backgroundstory, no famous name, character features, fill out all the boxes and extra points if you got a song that fits with your character.

That of course is my opinion. Some people like long stories, some people like to keep it short. My stories are always a bit too long and I know that only a few people took the time to read it.

For me, I like to see some structure. 

• The use of simple paragraphs makes a character page more appealing to read, and not just a big bulk of words. 
  • A believable and not far fetched backstory. 
  • A normal picture, and not a cartoon/famous image. I suggest using this website, it's pretty good. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/

I would say with them three points, you can produce a decent backstory. 

In my opinion, it'd be a fleshed-out character concept that is unique, along with pictures, and a nice backstory.  I also like characters who are fairly normal so to speak and kinda gain skills during the Outbreak.

Uniqueness, now im not saying i was very unique in my path whilst i made 'Jason Wood' but a character different/unseen before is most certainly a huge plus, nobody wants to see the same 'marksman' 'mafioso' it got boring real quick with hundreds of them,i made mine how i did so that he would have military experience specifically for some rp moments.

and please,PLEASE make it believable.

ps. dont forget to read over the background story and see if it makes sense ;)

peace.

I like seeing a well thought-out theme, matching your character's personality to the music, the photos, and the background image.

Cosmetic touches like graphics are what catch my eye first, but in order to keep my attention there needs to be well thought-out information that gives insight to your character. 

To get inspiration, I just suggest going through the characters page and seeing what catches your eye! I tend to look at the active character of a lot of people when they post on the forums too. It's easy to find since it's right below their avatar. Once you see what you like, it's easy to apply it to your own character and put your own spin on it. 

Moderation. I don't want to read an essay on your character. 

That and regular updates to your page. It's interesting to read what happens to your characters over time.

Well thought out, quality content, that makes sense and fits in with the current lore.

Honestly, you just have to put effort and think of a great backstory for your character that intrigues others, but mostly satisfies yourself.

Make your page look decent, but also put your own creative elements into the mix.

I guess it really depends on how you feel or what you're doing, if you don't know anything about a country or area where your character lives, or any other details like that, make sure to put some research into it and take your time, otherwise you won't really know much about your own character (especially if you get asked questions IG). It helps if you spend a good amount of time reading over your backstory and seeing if anything seems over the top or out of place, besides that, like others are saying, you should make it stand out, unique, and believable, If you can do that, then it should be fine.

Treat your character like they really exist, know everything about them. The smallest details.  The way they like their steak cooked, or their favorite color.  Then once they exist in your mind as someone who exists write a story.  Take your time, check spelling and grammar and read it aloud to yourself.

Make them so real you can hear their voice in your head when you role play as them.  Take the idea and turn them into a real person.  

Stock photos, not too edgy but not straight up trolling, give your character an actual  character. Put some thought into your features, religion, language etc. People are more likely to notice well thought out features and gear than they are a long fleshed out backstory. 

I'll go and say that your backstory is the most important thing about your character. Having a solid, legit and credible backstory is what makes your character unique. Go with something out of the ordinary for some details. If you are interested, I can PM you some screenshot of my Pre-Lore Wipe characters so you have an example of Large, precises and good backstory.

To help with the backstory, I usually base them on people I know in real life. Often on different aspect of my attitude or attitude of people i know. That can help start your backstory.

Edited by AlwaysGamer

Please for the love of god, do something unique. That's what makes a good character! Be creative, try something other than a super soldier, and try and do something people will remember you by. :) 

1. High quality MP3 music
  2. HD Character Images (No 300x300 size images)
  3. Proper spelling, grammar, etc.
  4. Proper spacing for backstory (No wall of text).

Essentially, I like neatness and clarity, along with the obvious, matching the lore, etc.

Consistency is important as well. If your character is 20 don't use a picture of some rando dude who looks like he is 40 with grayish hair. I'm slightly okay if it's an older character that looks younger because that's not as much of a rarity. 

Also for the love of all that is holy, can people stop making their characters look like models? I had no idea the secret to being immune is to be

Zoolander-Life-1.gif

Like Joules has mentioned, as long as it really doesn't contain any inconsistencies or "Supermodel syndrome" then it's good in my book.

Another plus for me however is having a long and detailed backstory, say your character is 25. I'd probably dedicate atleast a paragraph to the childhood, and then depending on character development I'd divide it into important building parts such as conflicts (Civil war 2009) or other shit like that.

In my opinion a good character page contains the following:

1. A proper lore accurate background story.
 1b. In the event you're playing a military character, make sure that your background story explains how you got to a certain rank. Go for historical accuracy as well. Say where he was deployed, investigate what he would remember from his previous tour of duties.

2. Proper spelling, grammar.

3. Formatting. Be sure to not make a complete wall of text. Do paragraphs.

4. Pacing. Take time to explain your story. People often say that you have to be unique, but I feel that you don't have to necessarily do that in order to stand out from the rest. Writing skills can make an average joe kind of character look like the hero of a story.

5. Don't hesitate to go back to it every now and then to tweak or add things to your character background.

6. Go into detail with your character appearance.

Pictures and Music are just ways to spice up your profile. Give it a little flair. But those who genuinely are interested in your story, don't care all that much about a few pictures. It does help a bit getting immersed in the characters story.

In my opinion a good character page contains the following:

1. A proper lore accurate background story.
 1b. In the event you're playing a military character, make sure that your background story explains how you got to a certain rank. Go for historical accuracy as well. Say where he was deployed, investigate what he would remember from his previous tour of duties.

2. Proper spelling, grammar.

3. Formatting. Be sure to not make a complete wall of text. Do paragraphs.

4. Pacing. Take time to explain your story. People often say that you have to be unique, but I feel that you don't have to necessarily do that in order to stand out from the rest. Writing skills can make an average joe kind of character look like the hero of a story.

5. Don't hesitate to go back to it every now and then to tweak or add things to your character background.

6. Go into detail with your character appearance.

Pictures and Music are just ways to spice up your profile. Give it a little flair. But those who genuinely are interested in your story, don't care all that much about a few pictures. It does help a bit getting immersed in the characters stor