Jump to content
Server time: 2017-08-18, 07:07

Sign in to follow this  
MEczyTAL

No-Permadeath Issues.

Recommended Posts

MEczyTAL    5

This is a hypothetical story just to show you my thoughts.

Player (or players) "X" are executing player "Y", and cut him into pieces and eat his flesh (cannibal RP).
The X think that Y is completely, definitely dead AF.
BUT! Player Y didn't see the part of the story that his body was chopped and he didn't know the shit about this. And he decides not to "kill" his character.
He decided to keep the character and play further, cause "I was shot, but somehow i survived, but i don't remember anything"

And now if the Y meets again the X there is a conflict, cause X is sure and proven that Y was dead, and says "what the fuck how can you be alive, i ate your brain with some potatoes", but Y didn't know about this.
And we have two "solutions"
1. All the cannibalism part of RP story is forgotten, which is really bad, cause we want our stories to actually matter and take place.
2. Y deletes his character after getting proof, that there was no way for him to survive, which is bad as well, cause between death and getting a proof he could make another stories and promises etc. to other characters.

So my point is, that there should be a system that allows killers to permakill others characters if there is a reason for that.

What do you guys think, is this a problem, could it be a problem. And what are your ideas to prevent such conflicts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Prince    93

>So my point is, that there should be a system that allows killers to permakill others characters if there is a reason for that.

 

No thats powergaming to the max and i bet you everyone would do it if it was allowed. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rose    141
13 minutes ago, Prince said:

>So my point is, that there should be a system that allows killers to permakill others characters if there is a reason for that.

 

No thats powergaming to the max and i bet you everyone would do it if it was allowed. 
 

Pretty much this. This would get abused so much by people just hunting down those they dont like OOC to kill their characters. 

Leave perma death in the hands of the player who made the character not anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grimnir    584

What you used as an argument is simple powergaming and that's it... a rulebreak.

If you don't want this to happen there are two solutions:

1. Don't kill people in a way that they have to be dead.

2. Don't be a cringy cannibal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saradomin    345

IMO there is many ways to get around this, the easiest being to ask oocly for permission to cut a little bit of the person to eat before executing.... Now I know not all situations would allow asking before executing, however if that is not the case I think it is up to the cannibals to not spread the word and not to bring it up during their next encounter with their food...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idole    176
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MEczyTAL said:

system that allows killers to permakill others characters if there is a reason for that.

As others have said this rule would be used so often it would not be funny simply to get back at people they don't like so nope not a good idea. First if you were a cannibal you would ask for permission to cut an ear or eat a finger or whatever then execute because unless you asked for permission to perm the character you did not eat his corpse. It's not really my thing cannibalism but people do like that rp so ask for permission to cut or eat a part of his body or perm kill the character its up to the player when to kill their character you cannot make that decision for them.

Edited by Idole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenix    1044
Posted (edited)

Hey so uhm... 
1)Nobody would just chop someone up without asking permission first. 

2) Don't be a cannibal kids. It doesn't make you any edgier.

Edited by Phoenix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hollows    410
Posted (edited)

What's the craze about Cannibal RP? It really isn't necessary in Chernarus truth be told, in fact it would be a hundred times harder to actually collect human meat than deer or wolf meat realistically, because unlike anything else, Humans will fight to the death to try and stay alive if they know they're cornered with no option but to fight. Not to mention diseases like HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, and malaria exist, so you'd be a walking hazmat sack of human bloodborne diseases. You wouldn't survive long. Especially in a third world country like Chernarus.

Aside from that, what you're suggesting is blatant powergaming. So, I should have control on whether or not I can kill your character off? Excellent, allow me to capture you so I can hold you in captivity for six hours until you slip up and I gain execution rights on you, then I'll just cremate you ICly. There's no way you're surviving that! My best advice for you, is if you want to go down the edgy cannibal route, RP that there was an NPC or invisible other guy you killed and cut up instead so nobody's breaking any rules in the first place. The NPC doesn't even need a name, could be literally," Some dude I caught in NWAF three days ago," or something. 

Edited by Hollows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenix    1044
1 minute ago, Hollows said:

What's the craze about Cannibal RP

Tbh apparently it makes you look cool or something I don't even know..
The only good cannibals are the OG Masquerade that do it for realism and not to be cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aiko    568

I am going to skip my traditional greeting, and just get into it!

As mentioned above, what you are suggesting is power gaming.

Powergaming refers to forcing an action, condition or belief upon another players character beyond what the game mechanics allow. For example, hurting them in a way that would prevent that person from using the character in the future.

Though there are ways to get perma death rights, but really you need to have a very deep in depth rp for that most of the time. Most of the time its asked OOCly.

//May I perma-kill you.

Most of the time its no, but for others they might say yes depending on how long the altercation went and so on. But most of the time, people will not kill their characters off simply because a cannibal wants to eat them for dinner for the night.

Now to properly play a cannibal you can ask @Lyca who plays a pretty convincing one at times. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static    230

Tbh, being a cannibal is ridiculously unrealistic. There have been less than 100 incidents of cannibalism since 1900, and that's including incidents with isolated tribal societies.

Fact is, unless you're mentally deranged there's no reason to eat people in this game. Food is not scarce enough to warrant it, and roving bands of cannibals are ridiculous.

 

Oh yes, and powergaming too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coreena    91
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Static said:

Tbh, being a cannibal is ridiculously unrealistic. There have been less than 100 incidents of cannibalism since 1900, and that's including incidents with isolated tribal societies.

Fact is, unless you're mentally deranged there's no reason to eat people in this game. Food is not scarce enough to warrant it, and roving bands of cannibals are ridiculous.

 

Oh yes, and powergaming too.

My question to you would be, has there ever been an apocalypse in this day in age that could contribute to those numbers? A zombie outbreak is an example showing that beings can be powerful by consuming flesh. Let's be honest, there are stupid people everywhere, who's to say there wouldn't be a stupid person out there who believes they could become powerful by consuming flesh as well? 

About a year ago I led a group called The Immortals, there we were those said people... Our characters were stupid and believed that by eating people, they would become immortal. Obviously bullshit, but regardless, we played it off well. We weren't whitenames and my group members provided amazing torture roleplay. Powergaming is easily avoidable. Simple, know the rules well regarding the subject if you wanna be a cannibal lol. We never ate people for sustenance, simply for power!

Also, I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, I'm just giving you another perspective on the cannibal topic ^.^

Yes we were pretty edgy! But we did a damn good job of it.

Edited by Coreena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Major    406
30 minutes ago, Static said:

Tbh, being a cannibal is ridiculously unrealistic. There have been less than 100 incidents of cannibalism since 1900, and that's including incidents with isolated tribal societies.

Fact is, unless you're mentally deranged there's no reason to eat people in this game. Food is not scarce enough to warrant it, and roving bands of cannibals are ridiculous.

 

Oh yes, and powergaming too.

Yeah, and cannibals aside nobody would ever starve to death in Chernarus, provided they can do some pretty basic apple picking and water pumping. Even after food stores and cans dry up you can still hunt if you haven't been raised indoors your whole life. Anybody can punch a cock, even if you can't kill a wolf or a Stagg you can do that and if you can't build a fire, then well....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coreena    91
5 hours ago, MEczyTAL said:

-snip-
And now if the Y meets again the X there is a conflict, cause X is sure and proven that Y was dead, and says "what the fuck how can you be alive, i ate your brain with some potatoes", but Y didn't know about this.
And we have two "solutions"
1. All the cannibalism part of RP story is forgotten, which is really bad, cause we want our stories to actually matter and take place.
2. Y deletes his character after getting proof, that there was no way for him to survive, which is bad as well, cause between death and getting a proof he could make another stories and promises etc. to other characters.

So my point is, that there should be a system that allows killers to permakill others characters if there is a reason for that.

What do you guys think, is this a problem, could it be a problem. And what are your ideas to prevent such conflicts?

Oh there are already rules in place to avoid this. If you execute someone and they don't perma-death, you cannot go around saying you ate them, because technically you did not kill them. If you perma-death them, eat them afterwards, and they decide to bring back their character after agreeing to perma-death then that is against the rules. 

You could always be like... "Yeah I killed that guy and ate him..." You could even go around saying you ate the guy afterwards if you really want, because realistically you could just be lying and no one would know. It's better safe than sorry to just ask for permission whenever messing with someone's character. The whole execution thing regarding cannibalism or not is just the thin wall between what you should mentally put together in your head and what actually happened... Kinda like how you can STILL talk to people on the radio about a guy you are standing right in front of, but he can't hear you lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static    230
25 minutes ago, Coreena said:

My question to you would be, has there ever been an apocalypse in this day in age that could contribute to those numbers? A zombie outbreak is an example showing that beings can be powerful by consuming flesh. Let's be honest, there are stupid people everywhere, who's to say there wouldn't be a stupid person out there who believes they could become powerful by consuming flesh as well? 

About a year ago I led a group called The Immortals, there we were those said people... Our characters were stupid and believed that by eating people, they would become immortal. Obviously bullshit, but regardless, we played it off well. We weren't whitenames and my group members provided amazing torture roleplay. Powergaming is easily avoidable. Simple, know the rules well regarding the subject if you wanna be a cannibal lol. We never ate people for sustenance, simply for power!

Also, I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, I'm just giving you another perspective on the cannibal topic ^.^

Yes we were pretty edgy! But we did a damn good job of it.

See here's my problem with that... zombies in this game aren't powerful.  They're pitifully easy to kill and only a threat in hordes.  They die with one - three bullets, aren't terribly perceptive, and can't run as fast or as dexterous as survivors are.  I've knocked out or killed zombies with fists and quick feet alone in this game.  That's not even considering the fact that we never actually see them eating players in game, we make that part up all on our own.  So, the rationale is a weak one at best, and completely nonsensical in truth.

27 minutes ago, Major said:

Yeah, and cannibals aside nobody would ever starve to death in Chernarus, provided they can do some pretty basic apple picking and water pumping. Even after food stores and cans dry up you can still hunt if you haven't been raised indoors your whole life. Anybody can punch a cock, even if you can't kill a wolf or a Stagg you can do that and if you can't build a fire, then well....

Exactly this ^.  There are only three reasons accepted by psychologists to consume human flesh: derangement, necessity, and culture.  European people, no matter how dumb, are not going to see zombies eating people (completely absent from the game btw) and just assume, "oh they eat so they can get superpowers."  The taboo of consuming human flesh is so strong that people would literally prefer death over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenix    1044

I'm gonna sum this thread up real quick for less effort

1) You can't cut someone's limbs off without asking permission first
2) You can't permadeath a character w/out asking permission first
3) Being a cannibal is unrealistic and doesn't make you any cooler. 
4) Never under any circumstances listen to @Aiko <3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sylvester Todd    395
14 hours ago, Phoenix said:


The only good cannibals are the OG Masquerade that do it for realism and not to be cool.

OG werent even cantaloupes. Pretty sure only 5th gen (Countin major roster changes here, this was when Lyca and Boston joined) were cantaloupes, and I think that's where it started. But I mean, rumors of psychopaths in clown masks will always have the word Cannibal in there, always has been for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×