Server time: 2017-10-17, 07:28
Safe Zone: CLOSED

John

Character Wound System

John    270
Posted (edited)

Apparently, a system very similar to this has been implemented. This is still my idea, and Rolle has done something very slightly different.  Both his and my systems are WIPs.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Character Wound System

Minor wounds expire after 3h in-game. They include (but are not limited to) scratches or bruises. Basically, surface area injuries that on their own will not likely cause any effective issues for the character aside from complaining about it. Minor wounds are caused by deaths from:

• Fists to the body/limbs
  • Blunt melee weapons to the body/limbs
  • Falls of less than 5m 

Moderate wounds expire after 6h in-game.  They include (but not be limited to) lacerations, minor concussions, or minor respiratory problems.  Any injuries that could have an impact on movement, cognition, or effectiveness, but which are still manageable.  Moderate wounds are caused by deaths from:

• Fists to the head
  • Edged melee weapons to the body/limbs
  • Wildlife/infected attacks
  • Falls of greater than 5m
  • Disease, hypothermia, dehydration, or starvation

Grievous wounds expire after 12h in-game.  They include (but are not limited to) gunshot wounds, broken limbs, or other severe trauma.  These injuries take time to heal, cause a significant impact on movement and/or cognition, and keep the survivor from adequately making it on his/her own.  They also cause a permanent scar.  Grievous woulds are caused by deaths from:

• Melee weapons to the head
  • Gunshot wounds
  • Collision with a vehicle

Mortal wounds would permanently disable the character from being played on the server.  A mortal wound is, essentially, a permanent death of the character.  Mortal wounds can occur outside of racking up five (5) grievous wounds, only if the player agrees.  Instances like valid executions via a gunshot wound to the head, or a well-RP'ed death caused from suffering wounds or illness, could be manually made to become mortal wounds.

Additional Rules

• When a character suffers a mortal wound, the player receives a tempban until he/she creates a new, completed character page.  If the character was in a group/faction, the player may not role-play as a member of that group/faction for at least two (2) weeks upon the approval of a new character.  The new character may not have in-character knowledge of the prior character or the group/faction.
  • All wounds must be role-played out for the duration of the expiration period.  The character can recover during that time, but the recovery must be role-played as well.  If a character seeks out medical treatment from a medical expert and the player brings video evidence of the treatment to the a Game Master or above, the expiration period can be manually reduced.
  • If recovering from a grievous wound, a character may not be the aggressor in a hostile action for half the duration of  the expiration period.  The character may also not share in group kill- or initiation-rights during that time.
  • An execution is only considered valid if there have been at least three (3) recorded hostile encounters between the executioner and the victim.  Hostile encounters include all in-character radio chatter, verbal hostility, and physical violence.
  • When a character suffers a wound, neither that character nor any member associated with the aggressor in the situation resulting in the wound may engage in physical violence against one another until the expiration period has ended.  In-character radio chatter and verbal hostility are permissible, but will count as a hostile action for all who engage in the act.
  • A player may only switch characters once weekly.  All characters require a complete character page and may not be affiliated with the same group/faction.
  • Invalid deaths (eg. glitches or rule-breaks) can be contested to remove a wounded status.
  • Valid executions may be reported if the player of the executed character refuses to manually give his/her character a mortal wound.  Accusers must provide evidence of at least three (3) hostile interactions with the accused.  The punishment for refusing the permanently kill off a character can be points, a forced manual mortal wound, and a tempban until a new character page is created.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please discuss.

Edited by Static

Nihoolious    1248
14 minutes ago, Static said:

Mortal wounds would permanently disable the character from being played on the server.  A mortal wound is, essentially, a permanent death of the character.  Mortal wounds can occur outside of racking up five (5) grievous wounds, only if the player agrees.  Instances like valid executions via a gunshot wound to the head, or a well-RP'ed death caused from suffering wounds or illness, could be manually made to become mortal wounds.

• When a character suffers a mortal wound, the player receives a tempban until he/she creates a new, completed character page.  If the character was in a group/faction, the player may not role-play as a member of that group/faction for at least two (2) weeks upon the approval of a new character.  The new character may not have in-character knowledge of the prior character or the group/faction.
  • This is the biggest example of way to much staff intervention in the lives of players. We shouldn't have to babysit people with tempbans because they get hurt in a video game. They should be allowed to roleplay out their injury as they please without people looking over their shoulder at their every move. Its tedious work for staff and an unnecessary hassle for players who just want to rp and have a good time. Too much OOC in IC matters.
  • All wounds must be role-played out for the duration of the expiration period.  The character can recover during that time, but the recovery must be role-played as well.  If a character seeks out medical treatment from a medical expert and the player brings video evidence of the treatment to the a Game Master or above, the expiration period can be manually reduced.
  • Not everyone can record and upload video evidence. I can assure you that its not just people who hide evidence so they dont get banned, a lot of people legitimately have bad computers that cant handle OBS, Playstv or use Shadowplay. Same goes for people with god awful internet. No one wants to record their every move in rp to make sure its within the rules, its a huge hassle. And I personally don't want to watch videos of people moaning in their mic as their characters recover from their injuries. Too much OOC in IC matters.
  • If recovering from a grievous wound, a character may not be the aggressor in a hostile action for half the duration of  the expiration period.  The character may also not share in group kill- or initiation-rights during that time.
  • No real way to enforce this or prove that some has or has not suffered a grievous or mortal wound. Entirely reliant on video evidence that is rarely going to exist.
  • An execution is only considered valid if there have been at least three (3) recorded hostile encounters between the executioner and the victim.  Hostile encounters include all in-character radio chatter, verbal hostility, and physical violence.
  • Exclude radio chatter as well as verbal hostility and I am fine with this idea. People should have more reasoning than just insults and mean words to execute someone.
  • When a character suffers a wound, neither that character nor any member associated with the aggressor in the situation resulting in the wound may engage in physical violence against one another until the expiration period has ended.  In-character radio chatter and verbal hostility are permissible, but will count as a hostile action for all who engage in the act.
  • No real way to enforce or prove this also without a tedious inspection of the hit logs which no GM or Admin wants to do.
  • A player may only switch characters once weekly.  All characters require a complete character page and may not be affiliated with the same group/faction.
  • I'm down with required character pages and only one character per group as thats always been the rule. Not a fan of the once a week switch. I used to play two characters before I perma'd my main and sometimes I'd play them every two or so days between each other just to add variety to my routine. Every 48hrs seems more reasonable.
  • Invalid deaths (eg. glitches or rule-breaks) can be contested to remove a wounded status.
  • They shouldn't count towards wounds period.
  • Valid executions may be reported if the player of the executed character refuses to manually give his/her character a mortal wound.  Accusers must provide evidence of at least three (3) hostile interactions with the accused.  The punishment for refusing the permanently kill off a character can be points, a forced manual mortal wound, and a tempban until a new character page is created.
  • Entirely reliant on video evidence and any report that would come of this would 90% end in an Inconclusive verdict. Waste of time in the end

I am not a fan of the wounds idea at all. I think it over-complicates the way we roleplay our characters in an unnecessary and very OOC involved way. It should be up to the player's decision if and when they roleplay out injuries. That being said, I've given my answers in Orange text to address each point.

The Buddha    24

For the love of all that is holy, would you please shut up static!

I jest, though I did chose that option, just cause it's there. I do like the idea, but it does need some tweaks. 

In my opinion, the wounds are pretty fast healing, I would have the actual length of a real injury divided by the server time increase speed.  That would make grievous wounds between 1 - 2 weeks real time to heal 

I would make it something more like:

Minor wound - 1 day

Moderate wound - 3 days

Grievous wound - 1 week (single wound) - 2 weeks (Multiple wounds) 

Mortal wound - God-like powers of regeneration. Failing that, they be dead.

Having a longer healing time also makes for more value for that character's life. Will also give a character's decisions matter more too, 

John    270

@Nihoolious I'll try to go through your points here:

1. This is the biggest example of way to much staff intervention in the lives of players. We shouldn't have to babysit people with tempbans because they get hurt in a video game. They should be allowed to roleplay out their injury as they please without people looking over their shoulder at their every move. Its tedious work for staff and an unnecessary hassle for players who just want to rp and have a good time. Too much OOC in IC matters.
    I think you missed the crucial wording for this point.  This is only relevant in instances of mortal wounds (perma-deaths) and is entirely automated by a script created by Rolle.  Per him, the script already works, he would just have to tie it to the Character page and implement it.  It requires almost no work by staff.
  2. Not everyone can record and upload video evidence. I can assure you that its not just people who hide evidence so they dont get banned, a lot of people legitimately have bad computers that cant handle OBS, Playstv or use Shadowplay. Same goes for people with god awful internet. No one wants to record their every move in rp to make sure its within the rules, its a huge hassle. And I personally don't want to watch videos of people moaning in their mic as their characters recover from their injuries. Too much OOC in IC matters.
    I agree that requiring video evidence could be cumbersome.  I would compromise and say that if the player who healed the character could corroborate, then that would suffice.  With the requirement of a character page, it's easy enough to confirm they're a medical RPer and boom there you go.
  3. No real way to enforce this or prove that some has or has not suffered a grievous or mortal wound. Entirely reliant on video evidence that is rarely going to exist.
    Actually, the script is automatic and tied to the character page.  It would show on the top that the character has a wound.  Would only require video evidence in the same way that any invalid initiation report would require one or else it would be word vs. word, like all reports essentially.
  4. Exclude radio chatter as well as verbal hostility and I am fine with this idea. People should have more reasoning than just insults and mean words to execute someone.
    Works for me, that was my way of getting the radio warriors to own up to their actions on the forums.  Kind of an olive branch to PVPers.
  5. No real way to enforce or prove this also without a tedious inspection of the hit logs which no GM or Admin wants to do.
    An okay point.  I can see that without video evidence it would be hard to show who was involved in the former hostilities.
  6. Every 48hrs seems more reasonable.
    I'd just as rather see alts completely barred from play.  You make a character, you stick to it.  But I'd agree to anything to limit their use.
  7. They shouldn't count towards wounds period.
    Agreed.  But with an automated script, deaths from rule-breaks would be added to your character automatically.  Filing the report for a rule-break and it being found in your favor would remove your wounded status.
  8. Entirely reliant on video evidence and any report that would come of this would 90% end in an Inconclusive verdict. Waste of time in the end.
    I would be entirely willing to say that perma-deaths via execution (before hitting 5 grievous) could be only considered valid if they are agreed upon by the victim.  Then, a disagreed upon one would only count as a grievous kill.
1 minute ago, The Buddha said:

For the love of all that is holy, would you please shut up static!

I jest, though I did chose that option, just cause it's there. I do like the idea, but it does need some tweaks. 

In my opinion, the wounds are pretty fast healing, I would have the actual length of a real injury divided by the server time increase speed.  That would make grievous wounds between 1 - 2 weeks real time to heal 

I would make it something more like:

Minor wound - 1 day

Moderate wound - 3 days

Grievous wound - 1 week (single wound) - 2 weeks (Multiple wounds) 

Mortal wound - God-like powers of regeneration. Failing that, they be dead.

Having a longer healing time also makes for more value for that character's life. Will also give a character's decisions matter more too, 

This was my original plan, but it was brought up that people could avoid RPing their injuries by simply waiting out the timer.

The Buddha    24
2 minutes ago, Static said:

This was my original plan, but it was brought up that people could avoid RPing their injuries by simply waiting out the timer.

What's stopping people from doing that with small increments of time? Just "going to sleep" for a few hours and your near mortal wound is healed. I dunno, seems too quick for my liking. Just a faster timer to wait out. 

John    270
1 minute ago, The Buddha said:

What's stopping people from doing that with small increments of time? Just "going to sleep" for a few hours and your near mortal wound is healed. I dunno, seems too quick for my liking. Just a faster timer to wait out. 

I mean, if they wanted to "RP" that they're going to rest and heal up, and then go afk or something for a few hours, that actually seems like decent RP to me as long as they respond if someone finds them.  Rest is a great form of recovery.

isocade    90

It's good for the hardcore roleplayer who wants more immersion and reality imposed on the general populace, as to weed out the weaker links of the community and strengthen the quality of roleplay by eliminating those who can't keep up to the demands.

However this is not a hardcore roleplaying community. This is a casual roleplaying community. I'd love for it to be a hardcore roleplaying community, and I absolutely love this idea and approve of it, and back it 100%- However it won't function in the current state for this community.

On other communities, yes, it'll absolutely work. In fact I have this kind of system in place for a tabletop campaign I'm running. However, for this community, it'll be detested and rejected- Not because there's anything inherently wrong with it, but because it raises the bar of expected quality and input higher than it currently is. A majority won't like that as they use roleplay to relax rather than to roleplay.

dankusmemeus    22

I personally don't like the idea, especially the perma-death, the faults i see with it are if i get shot and die in-game then that's it, time wasted not fun and RP is no longer fun for me as i can't be that character anymore, another point, say we're in a firefight, i get shot unconscious, most people just kill unconscious players anyway, obviously as NATO we can't do that as that person is no longer a threat and it is our duty to do our best to treat that person after we have wounded said person, but others will just straight up execute us for being NATO, because all the noob bandit groups hate military for some reason.

I mean as @isocade has said in this community it is more of a rejected idea, in other communities it would be great but here people want to relax more and not have to deal with super hardcore stuff all of the time, i am definitely against the idea as good as it is it can damage our fun and fun is why i play this, sure i'll RP wounds but i don't wish to permanently die because some guy sprayed me down with an AKM at close range, that kind of thing happens all the time and that's why perma death is a choice best left up to the player in my opinion.       

Rory    1557
1 hour ago, Nihoolious said:

I am not a fan of the wounds idea at all. I think it over-complicates the way we roleplay our characters in an unnecessary and very OOC involved way. It should be up to the player's decision if and when they roleplay out injuries. That being said, I've given my answers in Orange text to address each point.

I agree with this. Player decision when to permadeath and whether to RP out Injuries. 
Don't restrict our RP more.

Oliv    1874

I personally think your idea is too in depth and overly complicated with the varying wounds. Rolle is a great coder, but I just think that complicates things further than they need to be. I think simply taking the deaths is fine, but I'm not the one coding it.

Hollows    448

If this was an MMO with D&D style events, sure.

But it's a FPS with OOC rules to make it into a RolePlaying game, so no. It won't work, too much effort to keep track of all of this, and people will probably short-change things with injuries. 

I.E. I get shot in the chest, it's a grievous wound... Well I'll just say I was clipped on the side so its only a minor wound. 

Marcunt    239

Sounds good, doesn't work.

*Insert Trump gif here*

John    270
10 minutes ago, Hollows said:

If this was an MMO with D&D style events, sure.

But it's a FPS with OOC rules to make it into a RolePlaying game, so no. It won't work, too much effort to keep track of all of this, and people will probably short-change things with injuries. 

I.E. I get shot in the chest, it's a grievous wound... Well I'll just say I was clipped on the side so its only a minor wound. 

As an automated system, it's really not that much work.

If you only got grazed in the side, you wouldn't have died.  I'd RP getting a graze if I was hit but didn't die.  Dying by a chest wound would mean you took a hit and need to recover.  But so be it.

matusmanis    21

I like this system a lot, but just as i have stated in previous discusion i believe there should be a way to rid yourself of grievous wound count as well. I wouldnt like see some character dying of one recent would and 4 wounds that would be half a year old and properly treated (just an example).

However even without that i believe this kind of system would be great to be implemented and since its automated it doesnt give extra work and when it gets tied into character page players dont have to guess what type of injury they got, they can just check

Poppy    378

Even though I agree with some that it might be a lot of intervening by rolle/staff, I stil think this is a very great idea. I want it.

Idole    184

I really like this idea since it is automated it wouldn't be extra work but for instance i would change if you hadn't been hurt in a week or two that whatever injury you sustained goes away that way if you had a grevious wound like a month ago you wouldn't die but if you had 5 grevious wounds within the week you would. 

The only thing this game does have glitches and one tapes by zombies do happen alot and if you got injuried from that would there be away to override the injury as I don't believe players would be happy to have a injury from glitches.

I'm for it for I like this wound system idea.

John    270
4 hours ago, matusmanis said:

I like this system a lot, but just as i have stated in previous discusion i believe there should be a way to rid yourself of grievous wound count as well. I wouldnt like see some character dying of one recent would and 4 wounds that would be half a year old and properly treated (just an example).

However even without that i believe this kind of system would be great to be implemented and since its automated it doesnt give extra work and when it gets tied into character page players dont have to guess what type of injury they got, they can just check

30 minutes ago, Idole said:

I really like this idea since it is automated it wouldn't be extra work but for instance i would change if you hadn't been hurt in a week or two that whatever injury you sustained goes away that way if you had a grevious wound like a month ago you wouldn't die but if you had 5 grevious wounds within the week you would. 

The only thing this game does have glitches and one tapes by zombies do happen alot and if you got injuried from that would there be away to override the injury as I don't believe players would be happy to have a injury from glitches.

I'm for it for I like this wound system idea.

Lack of extra work = my goal.

I agree that if your character suffered their last grievous wound 3 months ago or something, one grievous shouldn't kill you off.  I think that a grievous wound could expire after one or two months.

Misho    6

Anything that forces me to keep track of stuff outside of the game, I'm not interested in. I'm not interested about going on the page and read up on peoples stories and wounds history. I'm not all to interested in writing up a detailed story about my character since I like playing different character almost weekly. This is going to scare away even more new players.

I highly recommend you wait with your advanced roleplay stuff until we have mod support in the game.

And lets be honest, the RP is pretty poor as it is, forcing people to RP some random wounds and deaths, nah.

John    270
56 minutes ago, Misho said:

Anything that forces me to keep track of stuff outside of the game, I'm not interested in. I'm not interested about going on the page and read up on peoples stories and wounds history. I'm not all to interested in writing up a detailed story about my character since I like playing different character almost weekly. This is going to scare away even more new players.

I highly recommend you wait with your advanced roleplay stuff until we have mod support in the game.

And lets be honest, the RP is pretty poor as it is, forcing people to RP some random wounds and deaths, nah.

Well one way or another you're gonna have to do a detailed backstory.  They are requiring a complete character page after the website update.

You're definitely in the minority with a "new character every week" play style.  You don't have to keep up on other's stories and wounds, that would be metagaming anyway, just pay attention to your own.

Papa Tachanka    42

An overcomplication and far too much for newer players and people whose English is not the greatest. In the next patch when the new animation system is implemented we will see injury animations and a more forced way of people role playing injuries. Just as @Nihoolious said it is just too much rule management by staff, reduces creative freedom as well.

John    270
1 minute ago, Chief said:

An overcomplication and far too much for newer players and people whose English is not the greatest. In the next patch when the new animation system is implemented we will see injury animations and a more forced way of people role playing injuries. Just as @Nihoolious said it is just too much rule management by staff, reduces creative freedom as well.

Admittedly, I forgot about the new wounded animations.  Can't wait for .63 to finally drop, there's so many big things coming in it which will help this community a lot.

KronicMunky    16
13 minutes ago, Static said:

Admittedly, I forgot about the new wounded animations.  Can't wait for .63 to finally drop, there's so many big things coming in it which will help this community a lot.

Wouldn't be the first time we get to see cool stuff and even promised it but yet never see it. Dayz Devs have a track record of that stuff. Base building  video was shown for .60 and promised .61 at most. Yet here we are. At the end of the day it's RP, if you need a wound system and (for lack of a better term..) babysitting when it comes to your character, as well as maybe not even writing your own back story, forced animations for fatigue and battle damage/stress then you need more imagination.  I used to play Garry's mod darkrp YEARS ago when it first started, maybe 10 years or so? Either way it was half life. No food eating, medical system, weather, wounds and the VoIP was sheeet! Still everyone managed and did it really well in certain communities. I don't think we should give people less time playing their character. If permadeath becomes a thing, let's not complicate it. 

APTerminator    78

Plain & simple: if your character dies 5 (or maybe some other irrelevant number) times via pvp, then s/he is permadead. Maybe this would include a certain number of other deaths too, but I prefer PvP deaths because other deaths are either due to being a bambi on the coast or because the game glitched out.

Karma    167
Posted (edited)

While I like the wound idea preventing people from being able to play with their friends or have a character related to/be friends with a old character seems a little much and that I really dont like.

Granted I still strongly believe that perma should always be up to the player when THEY feel the RP makes sense.

Edited by Rose

Alexis    85

To begin I'd like to give you props for writing out this awesome and elaborate system

Unfortunately I just feel like it would be a difficult thing to manage, might be wrong, if It isn't as hard as I think it is then I would +1!!