Server time: 2017-10-21, 12:16
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
CarbonatedLlama

Good RP/Bad RP ... You decide

So while waiting for my whitelist application to be reviewed I was thinking about my character and how he's open to become a good guy, bad guy or just a lone wolf wondering by himself. This lead on to thinking about hostile situations with bandits and potential robberies etc and how my character would act in those situations. Would he run, would he get involved, if involved whose side etc etc. Then I came up with this hypothetical situation which I've been pondering over the last few hours and wouldn't mind seeing what the community thought of it all and if it's breaking any rules... 

So lets say you're approaching a town from your favourite vantage point, ready to scope it out. While you're doing so, you happen to notice a hostile situation taking place. Party A are holding their guns towards Party B who are on their knees with hands up. 

My question is, would it be considered BAD RP if you were to fire "warning" shots in an attempt to scare off Party A or distract them so that Party B can escape?

I had thought about kills but I wouldn't find that fair myself and I think having shots fired at you in that situation would add something to the experiance of all players involved. Party A need to decide on their best course of action be it take cover and attempt to initiate with you or carry on with their intial activity with Party B.

Party B at this time can also use the confusion to their advantage and try to escape. I also think it adds a slight bit of realism to it all as you'd always have people trying to take you out for your supplies if this was real but you get a bit more a thrill out of it as its not K.O.S. 

Wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on this and I do apolagize for the essay for such a simple question lol. 

Mexi    1308

There are no such thing was warning shots, it would be attempted KOS as you've not made any contact.

Hollows    453

Pretty much what Mexi said. 

If you fire off warning shots, you not only could be reported for Attempted KoS, but you've given the people you're shooting at/near KoS rights on you. If you're a lone-wolf like you say, it could even mean you'd be smacked with NVFL for putting yourself in a highly dangerous situation for absolutely no logical or necessary reason.

2 minutes ago, Hollows said:

Pretty much what Mexi said. 

If you fire off warning shots, you not only could be reported for Attempted KoS, but you've given the people you're shooting at/near KoS rights on you. If you're a lone-wolf like you say, it could even mean you'd be smacked with NVFL for putting yourself in a highly dangerous situation for absolutely no logical or necessary reason.

Damn. That sucks slightly but I can understand why thanks to your explaination. I just thought it would be pretty cool with the spur of the moment decision making and not knowing it was going to happen. Would always keep you on ya toes.

Hollows    453

I mean, if you wanted to get involved your best bet is to initiate on the Group A or whatever to get them distracted, but this could still be seen as NVFL because you'd be outnumbered and without real reason to risk your life other than to try to maybe save strangers.

The other thing is, you don't know if Group A is hostile or friendly. You can walk up on them shooting at people in Group B, but what if Group A is a survivor group and Group B is a cannibal or bandit group they caught off guard or something and are retaliating? Then you might've just dug your own grave. Best advice to you is mind your business in the apocalypse. Keep your fingers in your own pie, and don't meddle.

Idole    184

If you fire warning shots not only would it be KOS as well as NVFL  as mexi and Hollows have said. You may also have put the group you tried to help in danger as the hostile group could have told them we get shot at you all die. So you could also be the reason those people die. Either way you would not look good on a report.

A couple months ago another player shot me when me and my friend were trying to get someone off our land as they were being hostile to us a bystander who knew none of us saw it thought we were hostile and fired a warning shot that killed me he had a 5 day ban as well as his whitelist revoked

So fair warning, warning shots are a no go

Rory    1576

Hi it is, your favorite productive shitposter community member Phoenix back at it again with an opinion.

Stated above, I ain't repeating what they said but yeah it's true within the rules.
In an actual real life situation though, It would be great to fire warning shots and scare the hostage takers off, however in this community it would just result in them hunting down whoever shot, since it's easy to track down where the shots came from. 

Would it be an amazing situation if you were to shoot and scare them off? Yes, yes it would.
Would it also be a rulebreak at the same time? Yes, yes it would.
Would you get out of the situation alive? No, probably not.

1 hour ago, Hollows said:

Best advice to you is mind your business in the apocalypse. Keep your fingers in your own pie, and don't meddle.

I shall live by this I think haha. 

58 minutes ago, Idole said:

A couple months ago another player shot me when me and my friend were trying to get someone off our land as they were being hostile to us a bystander who knew none of us saw it thought we were hostile and fired a warning shot that killed me he had a 5 day ban as well as his whitelist revoked

So fair warning, warning shots are a no go

I was thinking a warning shot in the sense of nowhere actually near the player but close enough for a reaction but I can see how that can go wrong. 

37 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Hi it is, your favorite productive shitposter community member Phoenix back at it again with an opinion.

Stated above, I ain't repeating what they said but yeah it's true within the rules.
In an actual real life situation though, It would be great to fire warning shots and scare the hostage takers off, however in this community it would just result in them hunting down whoever shot, since it's easy to track down where the shots came from. 

Would it be an amazing situation if you were to shoot and scare them off? Yes, yes it would.

I like this post a lot. 

This has made me realise that there has to be a hell of a lot of thought put into the interactions you have, especially if planning to be hostile. 

I am gonna just state this right here. Sometime the rules do not allot for good RP, but in fact interfere with it. I am gonna give you all a situation here.

I am down in Myskino Tents with a guy and we spot someone alone on the hill. I decide it's a good idea to go greet the guy, who was obviously trying not to be seen. In my approach a shot lands about 5 feet from my character and I freeze in place 'thinking' for just a second it could land in KOS. No other shots were fired and we slowly backed away.

Now that to me is a realistic situation to find in an apocalypse. It may not have the verbal exchange that is being craved, but it felt -real-. That added little element allowed me and the bloke I was with to have an RP exchange over what had occurred. I had absolutely zero complaints. Now if we shot back, too bad... ya know, but why? It was clearly a warning shot, we had what we needed from the place and we were not bandits. It just fit well.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I am gonna just state this right here. Sometime the rules do not allot for good RP, but in fact interfere with it. I am gonna give you all a situation here.

I am down in Myskino Tents with a guy and we spot someone alone on the hill. I decide it's a good idea to go greet the guy, who was obviously trying not to be seen. In my approach a shot lands about 5 feet from my character and I freeze in place 'thinking' for just a second it could land in KOS. No other shots were fired and we slowly backed away.

Now that to me is a realistic situation to find in an apocalypse. It may not have the verbal exchange that is being craved, but it felt -real-. That added little element allowed me and the bloke I was with to have an RP exchange over what had occurred. I had absolutely zero complaints. Now if we shot back, too bad... ya know, but why? It was clearly a warning shot, we had what we needed from the place and we were not bandits. It just fit well.

Indeed. I feel the rules are restrictive. And I feel like the more rules there is. The more report happy a community becomes.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

That's exactly what I would have hoped to achieve with it. That little ping of "Woah" 

The experience you had is actually better than my idea thinking about it. If you had shot back then both of you would know what could potential happen to your characters if it became a firefight and accepted that. 

In my idea, the not knowing the initial interaction and having a third party starts to add the complications so pointed out above. 

Red    252
3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

@Phoenix couldn't have said it any better. I've often thought about a way to make this work within the rules but I haven't figured out a solution yet.

The only thing that I could think of is a situation in which a person shoot ups in the air (where it's visible for whoever is present) as warning shot, but even then with the current rules, some people would be more inclined to just gun you down for it rather than go for the RP solution. The whole NVFL rule is  odd when you think about it. Using your weapon in a situation to scare off a possible attacker or two isn't NVFL. In fact I'd personally find it value for life, because you're defending ypurself from getting hurt or worse. Hell given the circumstances, you could scare off a group with a warning shot IRL.

This is a game though and as such we have to implement rules to make the experience enjoyable for eveyone.

So in essence, yeah exactly what @Phoenix said, lol

Rory    1576
1 minute ago, Red said:

@Phoenix couldn't have said it any better. I've often thought about a way to make this work within the rules but I haven't figured out a solution yet.

The only thing that I could think of is a situation in which a person shoot ups in the air (where it's visible for whoever is present) as warning shot, but even then with the current rules, some people would be more inclined to just gun you down for it rather than go for the RP solution. The whole NVFL rule is  odd when you think about it. Using your weapon in a situation to scare off a possible attacker or two isn't NVFL. In fact I'd personally find it value for life, because you're defending ypurself from getting hurt or worse. Hell given the circumstances, you could scare off a group with a warning shot IRL.

This is a game though and as such we have to implement rules to make the experience enjoyable for eveyone.

So in essence, yeah exactly what @Phoenix said, lol

Mhm Mhm Phoenix for president tbh. :) 
It's a shame though. It makes for pretty good RP but the hostage takers will think you're involved and find you and shoot you. 

Goku    63

As stated above that would be against the rules and @Phoenix said it best. But I can guarantee that if shots are fired and the hostage takers can't get them to stop you might as well say bye-bye to the hostages.