Server time: 2017-11-20, 07:48

Sign in to follow this  
Major

DayZRP Community Lore - Post-Wipe

Lore Poll  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts?

• Great! No changes needed.
    • Good, but could use some changes. (leave below)
    • I don't like it.

Admittedly, I've always been fond of the idea of just having chernarus quarantined and blockaded, similar to dying light, but with more red tape stopping the outside from intervening.

It's all good except for the idea that because a nation went through a civil war that tourism went up. This is a bit far fetched. It's not like everyone is flocking to Libya or Yemen or Chad to see the mass graves and scorched earth. Other then that It's perfect.

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

It's still too long for me tbh, I despise reading :D 
But good work, gonna have to dread through this now to get my Group Lore up. ;) 

Keep it on a separate doc. The groups as they are now will be going poof as a new system and plugin will be implemented.

Just now, Oliv said:

Keep it on a separate doc. The groups as they are now will be going poof as a new system and plugin will be implemented.

It's in DayZ Standalone Discussions. Will that get wiped too?

Just now, Phoenix said:

It's in DayZ Standalone Discussions. Will that get wiped too?

Nah, you're fine there, just didn't want you to put it in with the rest of the groups and loose your hard work.

Just now, Oliv said:

Nah, you're fine there, just didn't want you to put it in with the rest of the groups and loose your hard work.

Naaah. Wouldn't make sense for me to post it as a group when It's not gonna be a group til LW :D  Thanks tho dad.

I really enjoyed that, I especially appreciate the details added to make it more logical for non Chernarussians to have ended up here, while also explaining the many absurd sights in the game. Good read, thanks for giving us the tools to finalize our lore wipe characters.

Posted (edited)

When will we get the complete version? It is a whitelist version for sure but my main concern is that...there is little detail explaining what chernarus is and only hints-assumptions to the new whitelists that they already know about the War. Very little is explained what NAPA or CHDKZ is....only having assumptions what it is. It's well written, I ain't going to shit on months of work...But i would love to see the full version as this feels to cut down and faults in explaining some basic stuff that players should know about the lore.

My main concern is that, yes for more experienced players we know what they are talking about...but for non Arma Vet's...it's to......Open? I don't know the exact word to use, but something is lacking. 

P.S: I will give a far more detailed read later...more than likely tommorow after work...but I do like some of the idea's that were in the old doc's where kept! :D

Edited by Stagsview

Posted (edited)

Hi, @Major, @Joules and @Chief
Maybe I am looking too deep into the Lore, but I hope to get an explanation for a couple of things.
Is the Lore real time based or made up? I mean like details like locations, happenings and news items.
I admire you guys for taking the time for writing the new Lore. But in my opinion, a lot of things don't make any sense.

First, what are you guys mean with a massive NATO Fleet? Where is this fleet coming from and which country's have ships in that Fleet?

Second, Where are the NATO bases in the area? And why did they made those NATO bases so close to the Russian border?
+ Why were there NATO Forces active in a country that is not a part of the NATO next to Russia's borders?

Third, why would a cruise ship, the Costa Risacca sail a couple of miles of the coast of South Zagoria in the middle of a '' NATO Fleet '' and an ongoing crisis and active military zone? And why was there no action from the fleet to save those people?

Fourth, Are people allowed to make characters that are born or lived in or around Kamensk?
+ If so, what can a character tell against other people regarding the missing people?

Fifth, Why is Chernarus rich for their coal, mining, gas, and agriculture industries and their booming economy and their tourism and still a poor province? ( South Zagoria )
Are other provinces richer and more famous under the tourists? What is the big difference between South Zagoria and the rest of Chernarus?
+ Why are there a lot of tourists in a country that has often military escalation? And why is NATO not doing anything against this?

Sixth, How can the military escalation between Russia and Chernarus not be in the attention of the world with the many tourists that visit the country?
( Look at the conflict between The Ukraine, The Separatists and Russia. )

Seventh, What happened with the 200 UN peacekeepers and some 300 doctors and researchers that were sent to Miroslavl?

Eighth, With the reinforcement of NATO Troops for the CDF troops in South Zagoria, what happened with the relationship between NATO and Russia?

Ninth, Why are the NATO forces not attacking Russia after the bombing of Chernarussians citizens in Kamensk, Nagornoe and Severograd?

Maybe more questions later. 

Edited by Ramon

I like it so far, and going to be great when we get to see the extended part comes out.

Also thanks @Joules for reading out the lore for us :D

12 minutes ago, Stagsview said:

When will we get the complete version? It is a whitelist version for sure but my main concern is that...there is little detail explaining what chernarus is and only hints-assumptions to the new whitelists that they already know about the War. Very little is explained what NAPA or CHDKZ is....only having assumptions what it is. It's well written, I ain't going to shit on months of work...But i would love to see the full version as this feels to cut down and faults in explaining some basic stuff that players should know about the lore.

My main concern is that, yes for more experienced players we know what they are talking about...but for non Arma Vet's...it's to......Open? I don't know the exact word to use, but something is lacking. 

P.S: I will give a far more detailed read later...more than likely tommorow after work...but I do like some of the idea's that were in the old doc's where kept! :D

The Lore+ version will get posted sometime next week. This is the whitelist version and we were getting pushed for only essential stuff and to through everything else overboard. The purpose of the isn't to tell what either organization is, we covered that NAPA is dissolved into CDF and Chedaki goes underground. 

3 minutes ago, Major said:

The Lore+ version will get posted sometime next week. This is the whitelist version and we were getting pushed for only essential stuff and to through everything else overboard. The purpose of the isn't to tell what either organization is, we covered that NAPA is dissolved into CDF and Chedaki goes underground. 

Yes I get that, and I am glad that is explained...But my point still stands....If this is the whitelist lore, it should hold some basic background of the organizations or country itself. From a person who know's the  bohemian lore, I understand the lore but somebody who has no idea or background of it will only take it for face value....and thats what concerns me, you will have an explanation of each faction/group and what happens in detail..thats all good...but it isn't in the whitelist lore...and thats what concerns me because I have no faith that new players will search more than what people ask of then (the whitelist). Ramon also brings up some good pointers in his comments...some stuff my half asleep brain can't process. More than happy to chat though tommorow... (Please not tonight...Brains completely fried).

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Ramon said:

Hi, @Major, @Joules and @Chief
Maybe I am looking too deep into the Lore, but I hope to get an explanation for a couple of things.
Is the Lore real time based or made up? I mean like details like locations, happenings and news items.

First, what are you guys mean with a massive NATO Fleet? Where is this fleet coming from and which country's have ships in that Fleet?

Second, Where are the NATO bases in the area? And why did they made those NATO bases so close to the Russian border?
+ Why were there NATO Forces active in a country that is not a part of the NATO next to Russia's borders?

Third, why would a cruise ship, the Costa Risacca sail a couple of miles of the coast of South Zagoria in the middle of a '' NATO Fleet '' and an ongoing crisis and active military zone? And why was there no action from the fleet to save those people?

Fourth, Are people allowed to make characters that are born or lived in or around Kamensk?
+ If so, what can a character tell against other people regarding the missing people?

Fifth, Why is Chernarus rich for their coal, mining, gas, and agriculture industries and their booming economy and their tourism and still a poor province? ( South Zagoria )
Are other provinces richer and more famous under the tourists? What is the big difference between South Zagoria and the rest of Chernarus?
+ Why are there a lot of tourists in a country that has often military escalation? And why is NATO not doing anything against this?

Sixth, How can the military escalation between Russia and Chernarus not be in the attention of the world with the many tourists that visit the country?
( Look at the conflict between The Ukraine, The Separatists and Russia. )

Seventh, What happened with the 200 UN peacekeepers and some 300 doctors and researchers that were sent to Miroslavl?

Eighth, With the reinforcement of NATO Troops for the CDF troops in South Zagoria, what happened with the relationship between NATO and Russia?

Ninth, Why are the NATO forces not attacking Russia after the bombing of Chernarussians citizens in Kamensk, Nagornoe and Severograd?

Maybe more questions later. 

I might not have the answers that the LMs will provide, but I can give you my perspective on some of these points:

2. NATO likely wanted bases in the area as a means of deterring Russian intervention in yet another periphery country.  The main two bases in Chernarus are Base Kozlov near Kirovograd and Base Garrison on Utes Island.  Additionally, the insurgent activity in Takistan warranted NATO intervention (see Operation Arrowhead in Arma 2, I believe).  It is common that neighboring countries will allow NATO forces to operate out of their borders in order to more adequately wage conflict.  It's also common for NATO to stage a relatively small force in recent conflict zones, though why they are doing so when so close to Russia is a good question.

3. NATO's first duty is likely containment.  They can't risk the possibility that the passengers of the ship may be infected with the virus, and so likely made the calculation to let them go.  It was also a massive three-day long storm and nautical rescues are tough to pull off, they may not have had the assets at that point.

5. NATO can't stop tourists, but their member states might post travel restrictions and/or advisements.

8. From what it seems, the fighting by July 17 had completely stopped and all military efforts were focused on containment of the outbreak.

9. Chernarus is not a member-state.  While it may have a partnership for peace with NATO, Western forces are not obligated to come to their support.  It's similar to why NATO never responded to the conflict in Ukraine.

Edited by Static

2 minutes ago, Ramon said:

-Snip-

The NATO fleet was already there since May, when martial law was declared and more ships were sent due to a possible flashpoint. This fleet was made bigger by ships arriving as the martial law period went on, and then swelled in size during week 2. Currently the US, Ukraine, Takistan, Britain, French, elements of Georgian Coast Guard (Navy was dissolved). 

These bases were created to stage operations for NATO troops in Takistan, and to use Utes as a signals base to spy on the Russians. Chernarus didn't want them but took the goodies and hosted the bases in turn for trade deals and revitalization efforts. NATO does poke the bear so to speak by doing this. 

Doesn't sail into the middle of the fleet, it is way off the coast and forced closer to SZ by the massive storm, when the waves descend it strikes a rock formation and goes down. The fleet would not have been able to help, as it was dealing with retrieving soldiers from Chernarus and moving them to Utes and the storm would have made hunting for people in the water damn near impossible. The ship loses its communications which is part of the reason it goes in too close.

Sure they can make characters from there, but they would have been out of town or they would have been rounded up. Not Stary Yar just Kamensk. If you look in-game carefully you can find out what happened to them. 

Chernarus is rich in all of those things but they had not been properly exploited and used to potential due to the fact that the revitalization of the nation was mostly present out west along the coast (Primorsk, Novigrad, Miroslavl, etc), while South Zagoria was re-built. We did mention they were moving from the rebuilding to revitalization period in SZ. The economy is doing better but because SZ is the poorest of the 3 Oblasts (provinces) it hadn't really picked up to the level it had elsewhere. People in SZ would have had much better jobs but the effect of that additional wealth was not able to have enough time to improve the way things looked. The only place you'd see the effect of that would be in Novod or Chernogorsk. The area between Novigrad and Primorsk is very nice in comparison to other places, hunting, skiing in the winter up in the Black Mountains, cheap alcohol, cheap accommodations and war tourism. It's like America's economic recovery under Obama, coastal areas got really fucking nice and interior continued to rot.

See Israel for a nation that has frequent violent clashes in and around its border zones + tourism and still has a fuck ton of tourism. People love to look across a valley at troops on the other side "Russian menace" and aftermath and all that. NATO does react by sending those ships and beefing up interceptions over Chernarussian airspace and so on. Think deterrence. 

Because the escalation is mostly internal ethnic tensions, border stuff is less common up until Outbreak. 

Those peacekeepers are still there holding the city with about 1000-2000 CDF soldiers, police, many more civilians all inside a massive safezone within the city, with screening areas on the entrances. 

NATO and Russia are now more focused on the Outbreak, the squabbling's over the border are the least of their worries. Their actions and strikes support each others interests, if only indirectly and not coordinating. Its like in Syria with Coalition airstrikes sort of helping Assad out with Daesh. NATO is there now to re-group, get to ground zero, and try and move its troops from Incirlik airbase in Turkey. NATO doesn't know exactly what went down at ground zero and they think the key to a cure is there.

Because they want to find out if the Chernarussian State is telling the truth about what went down, plus they aren't keen on starting a ground war with some like 4000-6000 troops in theater pre-Outbreak. 

21 minutes ago, Stagsview said:

Yes I get that, and I am glad that is explained...But my point still stands....If this is the whitelist lore, it should hold some basic background of the organizations or country itself. From a person who know's the  bohemian lore, I understand the lore but somebody who has no idea or background of it will only take it for face value....and thats what concerns me, you will have an explanation of each faction/group and what happens in detail..thats all good...but it isn't in the whitelist lore...and thats what concerns me because I have no faith that new players will search more than what people ask of then (the whitelist). Ramon also brings up some good pointers in his comments...some stuff my half asleep brain can't process. More than happy to chat though tommorow... (Please not tonight...Brains completely fried).

We kept as much as we could. You know we would have fit in more if we could have. That's why we have a secondary Lore and a Lore+ version. 

15 minutes ago, Static said:

9. Chernarus is not a member-state.  While it may have a partnership for peace with NATO, Western forces are not obligated to come to their support.  It's similar to why NATO never responded to the conflict in Ukraine.

Except in this case the Kirovograd NATO base is really important for ops in Takistan. They need something in theater but away from the country.

I made a thread to ask specific Lore-related questions on. 

If you have suggestions for last minute grammar fixes, technical, Lore clarification or re-wording, still leave them here.

Finally, a good read, 

Thank you for the long spent hours I know you put into writing and revising this monster. I like it a lot, I feel there is a lot of detail even with the whitelist version, it paints a good picture and provides many ways to reason why a foreigner is in South Zagoria. Aside from those positives there are many others, nice job!

Also if you find proper music to go along with the read I think that would be more appealing to some people. I feel that it is perfectly fine but I know there are people who will say "oh boy a wall of text" and will turn on some music while they read. If the proper track is lined up with this lore it could really bring out some excitement for some people whilst reading and emphasize any moods in the lore such as when Chernarus is described as eerily quiet, if you had a track that would get quiet and a bit more tense or eerie at that exact moment it would bring it all together for some people reading it. If this can't be done or is refused that is totally fine too, just an idea!

1 minute ago, Glitch said:

Thank you for the long spent hours I know you put into writing and revising this monster. I like it a lot, I feel there is a lot of detail even with the whitelist version, it paints a good picture and provides many ways to reason why a foreigner is in South Zagoria. Aside from those positives there are many others, nice job!

Also if you find proper music to go along with the read I think that would be more appealing to some people. I feel that it is perfectly fine but I know there are people who will say "oh boy a wall of text" and will turn on some music while they read. If the proper track is lined up with this lore it could really bring out some excitement for some people whilst reading and emphasize any moods in the lore such as when Chernarus is described as eerily quiet, if you had a track that would get quiet and a bit more tense or eerie at that exact moment it would bring it all together for some people reading it. If this can't be done or is refused that is totally fine too, just an idea!

Good idea. I have proposed having a track but Chief and Joules weren't as keen on it as I was. Sounds cool.

Very nice to finally read it and have it out. Can't wait to restart IC as well.

This is awesome, especially since I had already decided to play a medical orderly at the Severograd hospital who lived in Nagornoe.  Oh, the thing's I've seen *shakes head ruefully*

Just now, Sin said:

This is awesome, especially since I had already decided to play a medical orderly at the Severograd hospital who lived in Nagornoe.  Oh, the thing's I've seen *shakes head ruefully*

That's cool! Keep in mind the Nagornoe folks were only moved to the school and eventually left when things in town got hot.

Posted (edited)

Hey, hey, hi, hey.  Decided to go through the lore again for a grammar/word choice edit.  White will be the original text, yellow will be the edited one:

1. Even with the election of a popular center-right statist nationalist party and a booming economy, military escalation was a frequent occurrence on Chernarus’s northern border. A marriage between a Chernarussian woman and a Russian man was attacked by right sector Chernarussian extremists.
    Despite the election of a popular center-right statist nationalist party and a booming economy, social unrest and the threat of military escalation was a frequent occurrence on Chernarus' northern border. One such incident occurred in late April of 2017 when right-wing Chernarussian extremists attacked a marriage between a Chernarussian woman and a Russian man.
  2. A video filmed of a Russian helicopter flying into the base was posted on Twitter the same night, igniting a controversy. The following day the residents of Kamensk and Nagornoe were rounded up, those from Nagornoe were escorted south to Severograd and housed in the local school without any explanation as to the reason of their relocation other than their “personal safety”.
    A video showing a Russian helicopter flying into the base was posted to Twitter the same night, igniting a controversy.  The following day, residents of Kamensk and Nagornoe were rounded up. Those from Nagornoe were escorted south to Severograd and housed in the local school without any explanation as to the reason of their relocation other than their "personal safety."
  3.  In the early hours of the 10th, the Russian air force completely annihilated the storage base that was the source of the whole controversy, leaving only a couple buildings standing and nearly fifty Chernarussians died within the base.
    *Just change "died" to "dead."
  4.  Severograd began experiencing attacks from several soldiers that appeared to be rabid and unresponsive, the soldiers having emanated from the base.
    Severograd began experiencing attacks from several Chernarussian soldiers that appeared to be rabid and unresponsive; it was clear the soldiers came from the now-destroyed base.
  5. Any concentration of sick individuals in an area focused the virus and made going into a hospital with many sick patients late in the incubation period a near death sentence. On the 12th people began to flee en mass causing a massive traffic jam and chaos as infected began to attack trapped drivers while soldiers at the checkpoint desperately attempted to assist.
    Locations with heavy concentrations of sick people worsened the spread of the virus; entering such places when victims were late in the incubation period was a near death sentence.  On the 12th people began to flee en masse, causing a massive traffic jam.  Chaos overtook the trapped drivers as infected began to attack the vehicles.  Soldiers at military checkpoints on the road desperately tried to assist the civilians in any way they could, ultimately failing.
  6. A swarm of CAF (Chernarussian Air Force) aircraft conducted sorties all day trying to halt the takeover of the base, but the bombing, rocket, and strafing runs only attracted more infected to the base.
    A squadron* (swarm is aptly descriptive, but isn't a typical term)
  7.  On the 17th, the CDF was struggling to hold onto South Zagoria with developing outbreaks in other areas in Chernarus bleeding dry reserves, meaning that South Zagoria could expect no further reinforcement as units further west were busy containing the epidemic near their bases, consequently it was on this day that help from abroad finally arrived in earnest.
    On the 17th, the CDF was struggling to hold onto South Zagoria, with developing outbreaks in other areas of Chernarus  bleeding their reserves dry. Thus, South Zagoria could expect no further reinforcement.  Units farther west were busy containing the epidemic near their bases.  Coincidentally, it was on this day that help from abroad would finally arrive in earnest.

There might be a couple of small comma placement issues and things I missed.  Just taking a first pass!

Edited by Static

40 minutes ago, Major said:

That's cool! Keep in mind the Nagornoe folks were only moved to the school and eventually left when things in town got hot.

Sure, but I naturally had to go to work in the morning, eh?  And the hospital's just a short trot from the school, so ....

Just now, Sin said:

Sure, but I naturally had to go to work in the morning, eh?  And the hospital's just a short trot from the school, so ....

Yep. They would have needed all the medical folks they could find.

Sign in to follow this