Server time: 2017-08-19, 07:36

Sign in to follow this  
Buddy

Delay the Lore Wipe

The Lore Wipe  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you feel that we should delay the lore wipe and have more time to transition?

• Yes - Publicly release the lore when the countdown hits zero; THEN RESET lore shortly after
    • No - Continue as planned and reset lore when the timer hits zero regardless

Buddy    836

Hello, MentorVP Buddy here with another unpopular suggestion:

It has been voiced several times over discussion threads, questions & status updates. Even if the new lore were to be made public tonight, I personally do not believe that the remaining time between now and the homepage count-down hitting zero will be adequate time for the community to transition to the new lore setting. I feel that the community should have at minimum, a two week buffer period between publicly releasing the new lore and when the lore wipe actually takes place. The moment that clock hits zero, everyone will be in a mad rush to simply visit the website to quickly "accept" the new change so that they can physically join the server and not actually take the time to carefully read through the new lore and fully comprehend the new world we're immersing ourselves in. Another important point being that individuals should have a full picture of the new lore when considering their new character creations as well as group concepts instead of flying blind on such short notice.

What I am suggesting is to publicly release the new lore when the countdown hits zero instead of resetting the lore itself. The community is then given a desired time period to familiarize ourselves with the new lore setting and better prepare for the moment it is actually initialized. (Provided that the new lore is of course ready to be released!!) It will also provide more time for the lore based factions to get all of their ducks in a row for when the moment comes to push the big red button.

Lore Masters; @Chief @Joules & @Major - I understand that this hasn't entirely been in your control at all. Your work is ever appreciated and we are all very much looking forward to see what your efforts behind doors has consisted of. I firmly side with you in stating that I would like to see all of your work be properly and carefully executed based on your comfort levels and not in a last second rush just because the timer said to do so. This is the first time in over 1,000 days we have had a lore wipe and a large percentage of the community have never even experienced one before. Let's take things slow and do it right. 

@Rolle - On the subject of users having to visit the website in order to join the servers on the day of lore wipe; you stated here that users would simply have to click a button stating that they understand a new lore is in effect and that it would automatically restore their whitelist. Is that still how you intend to do it or has there been any change since then? While I understand how this would be an efficient method for the sake of convenience, I genuinely believe that it should instead be another hidden passphrase within the lore itself where individuals are forced to actually read through and understand the new lore. A large percent of users don't frequent the forums and would take full advantage of that simple button without a care for all of the hard work done by Lore Masters. By doing a passphrase and forcing users to read through, it would ensure a higher quality fresh start into the new lore setting and less character airplane crashes into the Chernogorsk hotel and no clue about what's happening in the world around them.

Pussy    311
Posted (edited)

2 weeks? Nah. 24 hours? That I can get more on board with. 

I agree that it would be nice to have a way to guarantee that the people joining the servers have read the new lore and understand the lore reset, but I'm not sure if there are any plans to implement such a system. Might be an easy enough thing to add a passphrase into the new lore and need to accept the acknowledgement by submitting the lore passphrase. 

All in all, I get what you're saying, but 2 weeks is unreasonably long. I see very little need for the grace period to be that long. I don't think I'm speaking for myself when I say that it's not gonna take me that long to get a handle of the new lore. Gimme an hour and I should be set. Is everyone gonna be like that? Probably not, no. 

Edited by Pussy

Shadows    1001
Just now, Pussy said:

2 weeks? Nah. 24 hours? That I can get more on board with. 

I agree that it would be nice to have a way to guarantee that the people joining the servers have read the new lore and understand the lore reset, but I'm not sure if there are any plans to implement such a system. 

All in all, I get what you're saying, but 2 weeks is unreasonably long. I see very little need for the grace period to be that long. I don't think I'm speaking for myself when I say that it's not gonna take me that long to get a handle of the new lore. Gimme a few hours and a should be set. Is everyone gonna be like that? Probably not, no. 

My thoughts are pretty much this ^

Also the fact that I don't want to wait. The lore is written, give me it, I'll make a character within a few hours of reading it and will begin to develop my story like true roleplayers. Delaying it will only hurt us by keeping the server population so low for even longer and slowly making more people lose interest.

Pussy    311
Just now, Shadows said:

Delaying it will only hurt us by keeping the server population so low for even longer and slowly making more people lose interest.

I agree. Having that long of a buffer period is going to kill the excitement for the wipe. Essentially euthanizing a potentially great thing for the community.

10 minutes ago, Pussy said:

I agree. Having that long of a buffer period is going to kill the excitement for the wipe. Essentially euthanizing a potentially great thing for the community.

Not to mention that a lot of people are gonna be all "wtf" about it.

However this will give the hobos more time to gather duct tape. Just a thought.

Buddy    836
Posted (edited)

It of course doesn't HAVE to be two full weeks. Simply more than what we would have now as of this moment. The clock is ticking and there is increasingly less time for the community to "take in" the lore as it is released in prep. Staff / Lore Master discretion would of course come into play with deciding on a buffer period should it be considered. 

4 minutes ago, Squillium said:

The fact that we're not waiting for Beta is a complete waste of a lore wipe anyway.

I honestly wish we had waited for this. 

Edited by Buddy

NishiUrban    79
26 minutes ago, Squillium said:

The fact that we're not waiting for Beta is a complete waste of a lore wipe anyway.

In before the lore wipe gets pushed to Beta, and it was all an elaborate way to get people to perma characters. ;)

No, but seriously. As someone who was against the lorewipe in the first place, I just want it to be over with already. The sooner it's changed over to the new lore, the better. 

Marcunt    218

No. The ones who "need more time" probably wouldn't change and acknowledge the complete wipe anyways. Most of the ones who have been wanting wanting the wipe and waited for it have probably already prepared new characters and ideas. Just look at the new groups coming up; I think most are ready.

Major    425

Thanks for chatting in TS before posting this. Logistically speaking the current Lore even after edits that have cut it down on size still follows the same timeline that we set in place at the very start, ending at the 24th of July which is when our characters will enter the world. We can always change dates if necessary, it wouldn't fuck over quite as much as you would think. We were planning on releasing the Lore like, this past weekend but Rolle and the admins wanted more edits, additions, and reductions (which is fine and needed) there has been some lag though. So we are planning on releasing ASAP currently. What you are suggesting is essentially already a thing, we just need to get our shit together and release it soon. 

We don't have to delay it we just need to get it out, which gets rid of the need for a delay. I'll edit up until the last moment if I have to in order to get it to a state where it gets accepted. Folks are ready, we don't need to string it out any longer.

Voodoo    357

No point in delaying it. Groups will still take a while to be accepted with the new procedure on doing so to be finished and whats so difficult about the transition? Anyone can RP out 'holy shit its a zombie, where can i run to'.

As anyone that was here from the transition from Mod to SA will know, nothing changes. The server gets a spark of life but in terms of how people play it stays the same. Sure you might have a week or a few days when people RP it out properly but then its full circle back to robbing, safe up north campfire RP and awkward conversations.

Stagsview    588

I'm honestly just shocked and concerned on how long it is taking for the admins (The loremasters have done their part) to make public the lore. A lot of this community have work and RL priorities, some of us want to make detailed characters for day 1....yet the lore is still not out. We were told 2 week buffer with lore and info....we now only have 3-4 days left before the wipe. Disappointed how it's been handled publicly until now.

Oliv    1552

For myself, I've always been vocal among the staff team that we could release the lore at the end of the countdown rather than put it in place as a back up plan. Still pushing several times a day to get this thing moving for all of us, trust me.

Idole    177

Don't think pushing it another 2 weeks would be a good idea right know the servers are low as it its as people are ready for the lore if it was pushed 24 hrs that would be fine but 2 weeks the excitement of the lore will die and the population would go down more.

Alot of people are ready for this LW and have already started writing a backstory for their characters and just look at the new groups that have been made people are ready.

I like @Buddy idea about the passphase hidden in the lore as it would make players read it to find it and understand the lore I would also put in 1 or 2 questions with it so people give evidence and if they get it wrong they go back to the beginning and have to reread it again.

If the LW  was released now or at least before the timer stopped that would be ideal for those who want it before its not two weeks but at least its something I know it would not take me two weeks to understand a lore I like reading creativity of other players an hour for me is enough.

Phoenix    1048
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Buddy said:

I feel that the community should have at minimum, a two week buffer period between publicly releasing the new lore and when the lore wipe actually takes place.

Lol hell no.
Everyone I play with is extremely hyped for the new group. We're counting down the days. Another 2 weeks ontop and I'm outta here, so are others.
Nobody is playing right now. Yesterday at peak time we had 15 people on S1. Everyone's counting down the last few days. If you delay it even more for them, it's gonna make a lot of people angry and they won't play in the first place.

Edited by Phoenix

PCJames    153

Most people I know have already started preparing, they've made their characters, groups, and storylines. Yes, the lore isn't out, but unless the LM's create something drastically new in the lore, then all these things will still be valid. The community is prepared for this. There's no real sense in delaying it for any period of time. 

Boston    646

Too hyped for the new lore and new rule placements, and I just got my computer functioning properly aswell, right on time for the Lorewipe.

-1 from me.

Elmo    902

@PCJames, I don't know why people are making new characters, groups and storylines for a lore that they know nothing about. How will they fit in? Will they have to change anything? With Buddy's suggestion, we could tailor our characters specifically to the lore after its release instead of generally tailoring them to the setting we know in which they will be placed. Pre-planning, as was your argument, would be made easier if there were a time frame were given to us with the new lore with which we, as creators, could work with and prepare groups, stories and, most importantly, our characters. 

Waiting wouldn't really bother me as I wouldn't actually be waiting, I'd be writing the lore for my new character and planning him/her out accordingly. If you're bothered by a little wait, put your newfound time to productive use, bailing out/getting testy over it won't do anybody any good.

As for the suggestion, that's a massive +1 from me on both counts, for the above reasons.

PCJames    153
4 minutes ago, Elmo said:

@PCJames, I don't know why people are making new characters, groups and storylines for a lore that they know nothing about. How will they fit in? Will they have to change anything? 

I never said I supported this notion, and I am just as confused as you are on why it's happening. Im just stating that it is happening whether you want it to or not. Will they adapt it to the new lore? Hopefully. Because if they dont then they can get reported. Why are they doing it? I'm assuming the community is just over eager and yearning to flex their creative minds. I know what I'm saying will probably be messy, but it's what the community wants as is evident by the poll.

Static    231
25 minutes ago, Elmo said:

@PCJames, I don't know why people are making new characters, groups and storylines for a lore that they know nothing about. How will they fit in? Will they have to change anything?

If you actually go to the LMs and just ask, they're pretty much willing to tell you anything relevant in the new lore for the group and/or character you will be making.  James and I can't speak for all the groups and characters, but I wouldn't have made NATO and James wouldn't have made his oil company without very close collaboration with the Lore team.

It's kinda crazy this is what it's come to though.  Lore should have been out a week and a half ago.

Para    180
7 hours ago, Pussy said:

That and I'm not sure we want 2 more weeks of the current DayZRP population actually IG. I've seen it at an all time low around peak times a lot recently.

Rolle    2450

The lore wipe is happening as scheduled. Nothing is stopping this train now.

Elmo    902

@Static Asking had occurred to me but I like surprises, besides, not everybody is going to know this or have the correct scheduling to go over the lore with the LMs verbally. It would be easier if we had written source material we could access at any time to use for our characters. 

@PCJames, perhaps you should reword your post then as it looks like you're supporting the current position. Wouldn't want your views to be misrepresented. 

As for what the community wants, I've yet to see a solid justification for their desire. Until I see something in the current position that trumps the benefits of the entire community being able to prepare their characters with a newly written lore, I'll be staying in the minority it would seem.

Oliv    1552
3 minutes ago, Rolle said:

The lore wipe is happening as scheduled.

I'm ready for it big daddy

Undead    235

*Would prep his nuclear device in kabanino*

I look forwards to the wipe.