Server time: 2017-10-18, 15:06
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
pijkaCZ

Mute character

Question

pijkaCZ    2

Hi, 

Is there a way that a player can roleplay a mute character? I was just curious if that is allowed. 

Regards, Andrew. 

8 answers to this question

Galaxy    549
Posted (edited)

Yes, you can play a mute character but you will have to emote *You may notice this character is a mute* // I can not talk as I have a condition or something like that and aslong as you keep to itrealisticly it is aloud.

If they asked you to speak, you could shake your head or do sign language. If you're missing a tongue for example you could open your mouth etc. :P (From Para)

Edited by Galaxy

Method    68
Posted (edited)

Yes but as with almost everything if its done with care then its allowed but do be careful as it could be misconstrued as avoiding rp. remember to emote so people can tell you are a mute and not just silent. Have fun

Edited by Method

Karma    167

I recently played a mute character and I'll warn you now make sure you are super clear about the fact that you are useing sign or whatever other method you choose to go with. More than once people mistook what I ''signed'' as my character speaking and I would have to remind them. Its a challenge but if you get a good group of people together its a ton of fun.

Autumn    127
Just now, Ark said:

Calling in @Autumn for his POV.

Ah yes, of course I am called to give my PoV. When I was in Blackwood, I played a mute character named Calvin Jacob Hobbs, While you will indeed find some people who indeed just can't be arsed, there ware ways you can get people to understand. A piece of paper, RPing it out of course that it's being reused, seeing as paper well it's not something you are going to carry an Alice Pack full of. 

I was never reported for being mute. In fact, it was always so fun, and in turn... it's as if he said more in his expressions, his deeds, than he ever could have with words.

Facta Non Verba.

Ron    809
Posted (edited)

Calling in @Spartan to provide some more input to this topic.

Also this: old but helpful imo.

Edited by Ron

Spartan    1229

Thanks @Ron for bringing this thread to my attention.

I played a mute character, Nora Wilson, for 14 months (+ a deaf character for a few weeks aswell but I'll leave the tips and tricks by mute RP for now). To communicate I used pen and paper, sign language, face expressions + I used to whistle. I used diffrent whistle tunes that meant diffrent things and my friends learned what each whistle meant. 1 short whistle was yes, 2 short whistles was no. This way I was able to RP (as long as my friends asked yes or no questions) while traveling.

I used pen and paper aswell, I had 2 papers. 1 paper was an introduction note saying my characters name and basic information and I used the other paper to write responses to people who didn't understand sign language.

My character taught her closest friends sign language and then I would use the text chat to type out: "*signs* I'm hungry". The good thing is that I got basic knowlegde of sign language myself so I know what signs can be done with 1 hand and which ones need 2 hands. If the sign needed two hands I would put my weapon on my back and raise and then lower my fists.

I've met some shit mutes lately, people who stay quiet for 20 minutes and don't attempt to roleplay or emote out anything at all. That is considered badRP. If you are going to play a mute character you will need to do your research. It took me 2 weeks to make my character but I played her for 14 months and enjoyed every week of it.

I advise you to read the guide Ron already linked you, I posted a comment in there aswell were I gave some tips and tricks that might help you out aswell. You can always send me a private message if you got any more questions.