Server time: 2017-10-18, 11:22
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Payninator

Dead Server

Payninator    10

ive noticed even changing the map hasn't really done much i know this may be due to the bugs atm but do you think its time to try Namalsk??

i dont want to see this die i think it will bring a new life to dayzRP.  

Rory    1558

That's what happens with side projects unfortunately.
We've been through countless amounts of side project. They get super hyped up but people lose interest.

KronicMunky    16
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Payninator said:

ive noticed even changing the map hasn't really done much i know this may be due to the bugs atm but do you think its time to try Namalsk??

i dont want to see this die i think it will bring a new life to dayzRP.  

Namalsk is just as bad man. It's boring too.

I'm game to play, i just can't be bothered rolling around a server with 1/50 on it. It's a shame because it has potential. A lot of people complained about the map and wanted a free one. So it got changed and nobody has bothered. I don't want to bother simply because of that. Put a lot of time into Tanoa etc and now i can see that the map is probably gonna change again i'm not wasting time building up an area just so people can pick a map they don't want to play.

Tbh it's not just that, even when the server was at like 26 players it was a bit meh. Because i joined Desolation solo, i literally never ran into a single person, nor was anyone on the agreed 100.00Mhz and if they were they never replied to my radio messages. So it seemed to me like people joined up and met with their friends etc so yeah about 50+ hours into that and not one encounter.  TFR made it rather lonely too haha. No choice but to sit in a channel by yourself pretty much :)

Edited by KronicMunky

Spartan    1229

The reason I heard the most so far is that people can't be bothered to go ingame if the next time they log in all their stuff has despawned. 

Desolation has that annoying bug and it kills the mood to play to be honest. You log in, loot and repair stuff for 3 hours, you log off and then the next day you log in and you're a naked guy. I'm sure that when this bug is fixed more people will start playing again.

evanm23    381
29 minutes ago, Spartan said:

The reason I heard the most so far is that people can't be bothered to go ingame if the next time they log in all their stuff has despawned. 

Desolation has that annoying bug and it kills the mood to play to be honest. You log in, loot and repair stuff for 3 hours, you log off and then the next day you log in and you're a naked guy. I'm sure that when this bug is fixed more people will start playing again.

i heard it was because the map is absolute garbage

Mexi    1291

Focus on the main project might be an idea for those that are "developing" Desolation.

It's the summer and we're coming up on a lorewipe with no PR team, no attempt to get a new influx of players for such a prestigious moment in the community.. Overall feeling let down.

Voodoo    487

There are a number of factors why this didnt take off (like many other side projects)

1. Other side projects have failed- why would anyone spend money on Arma 3 and apex knowing it migt be a flop for this community. You can argue that people could get the game to play other servers but many here dont want to do that.

2. Tanoa being the map- as with the last point about firstly buying apex for Tanoa not all members would fork out the money especially after hearing the map would be restricted.

3. No lore- with no lore in place there is no building block to start a character/group from. This has been the failing of many side projects in the past

4. The rush- the server was pushed to the public too fast without proper testing, this means there are bugs aswell as an unstable experience. In the past we would have a server up for a few weeks in order for a properly trained dev to go over everything like loot tables etc. All we have so far is Rolle and with his real life time schedule its clear he hasnt got enough time to do everything (not everyones superman). The server should have had a dedicated Dev team in place to work on this new project (like in the mod days).

5. Lack of PR- with a project such as this there was the potential to throw it out there to the massive player base (compared to DayZ) in order to gain them to the community. The community threw out no PR for the server, there was no build up for this new experience. Had time been taken to get it all working (the rush section above) and the right PR thrown about here and there we might has started something fresh. Lets be honest people are here for DayZ not Arma 3, so in order for this to work you need to target arma 3 players, which brings me to the next point.

6. Arma 3- the game is a military sim, many will believe its not capable to take on a roleplay survivor atmosphere (which isnt fully right as anyone would know that was here for the mod days) but the game does have limitations, such as female character models etc.

7. The community in general- this community has gone from casual RP with firefights towards a more serious survival RP nature. As said above Arma 3 is a military sim so its more designed for the firefights and general banditry based on its accessability to weapons faster etc. Many in this community prefer to divert away from this sort of RP now and even see banditry and firefights as a deadly sin in this community to which salt must be given.

There are probably more reasons but in a nut shell this side project was always doomed to failure based on its lack of being polished properly, advertised to a new audience and general community mood nowdays. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Major    630

Just a house built on a faulty foundation. What Voodoo said above is spot on. Until it is timed correctly, hyped, developed (not just by Rolle), made more accessible, "Lored" properly, map fixed, etc.

We need to wait till there is a polished product as opposed to taking something out for a test drive that has no wheels. We treat it like a side project that will fail and don't plan properly. Give people a reason to play it, make it fun as hell, and hype the ever love living fuck out of it. 

Papa Tachanka    46
5 hours ago, Voodoo said:

There are a number of factors why this didnt take off (like many other side projects)

1. Other side projects have failed- why would anyone spend money on Arma 3 and apex knowing it migt be a flop for this community. You can argue that people could get the game to play other servers but many here dont want to do that.

2. Tanoa being the map- as with the last point about firstly buying apex for Tanoa not all members would fork out the money especially after hearing the map would be restricted.

3. No lore- with no lore in place there is no building block to start a character/group from. This has been the failing of many side projects in the past

4. The rush- the server was pushed to the public too fast without proper testing, this means there are bugs aswell as an unstable experience. In the past we would have a server up for a few weeks in order for a properly trained dev to go over everything like loot tables etc. All we have so far is Rolle and with his real life time schedule its clear he hasnt got enough time to do everything (not everyones superman). The server should have had a dedicated Dev team in place to work on this new project (like in the mod days).

5. Lack of PR- with a project such as this there was the potential to throw it out there to the massive player base (compared to DayZ) in order to gain them to the community. The community threw out no PR for the server, there was no build up for this new experience. Had time been taken to get it all working (the rush section above) and the right PR thrown about here and there we might has started something fresh. Lets be honest people are here for DayZ not Arma 3, so in order for this to work you need to target arma 3 players, which brings me to the next point.

6. Arma 3- the game is a military sim, many will believe its not capable to take on a roleplay survivor atmosphere (which isnt fully right as anyone would know that was here for the mod days) but the game does have limitations, such as female character models etc.

7. The community in general- this community has gone from casual RP with firefights towards a more serious survival RP nature. As said above Arma 3 is a military sim so its more designed for the firefights and general banditry based on its accessability to weapons faster etc. Many in this community prefer to divert away from this sort of RP now and even see banditry and firefights as a deadly sin in this community to which salt must be given.

There are probably more reasons but in a nut shell this side project was always doomed to failure based on its lack of being polished properly, advertised to a new audience and general community mood nowdays. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I almost could've said it better. ;) 

I guess I will just throw on top of that. Side Projects never work. You see all the side projects that have worked in this community? Yeah. Exactly. I literally said as this was a casual discussion 5 months ago it would fail. Was I wrong?

Jetwells    0

Hasn't failed, Its alpha, theirs bugs. I wish people who never even attempted or wanted to play wouldn't complain all the time. But, shock, Its the common normality in the community. A select few constantly criticizing anything. People enjoy it, doesn't need a gang to try and bully things into their own way. Look at the map, everyone complained about that and it got changed. Conveniently these people who complained about the map still didn't play. Anything to try and argue eh. 

Let the people who want to play, Play. If you don't want the project, tough. It's not your choice. Leave the stupid negativity out of things.

KronicMunky    16
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jetwells said:

Hasn't failed, Its alpha, theirs bugs. I wish people who never even attempted or wanted to play wouldn't complain all the time. But, shock, Its the common normality in the community. A select few constantly criticizing anything. People enjoy it, doesn't need a gang to try and bully things into their own way. Look at the map, everyone complained about that and it got changed. Conveniently these people who complained about the map still didn't play. Anything to try and argue eh. 

Let the people who want to play, Play. If you don't want the project, tough. It's not your choice. Leave the stupid negativity out of things.

I feel you man, quite irked that we went through a map change ( alas there was a persistence fuck up anyway so no biggie) but then for it to only get worse? What was the point in the map change at all? Why did people complain to get it changed? or will it be a case of  "i'm not playing til i get the map I wanted"

Edited by KronicMunky

Stradic    286
Posted (edited)

I think this project should be put on the back burner and be released at a later date.

The mod seems to have quite a few bugs which have probably deterred people from jumping on (myself included) plus with the lore wipe hype I seriously doubt desolation will have an active playerbase.

If down the track people are keen to try desolation again we go with the above suggestions of setting up a basic lore and market the server to the Arma 3 community.

Edited by Stradic

Pepe Jones    76

The side project has been on life support since it's genesis. A combination of a buggy game and a terrible DLC map that no matter how many people wanted it to be changed it still remained "just because" . The fact that there are invisible lines we can't cross on the map or we will be banned and that you can knock down any wall by ramming a workbench into them and all the other bullshit just drains my will to play what is otherwise is a good mod.  

Isaiah Cortez    59
13 hours ago, Pepe Jones said:

The side project has been on life support since it's genesis. A combination of a buggy game and a terrible DLC map that no matter how many people wanted it to be changed it still remained "just because" . The fact that there are invisible lines we can't cross on the map or we will be banned and that you can knock down any wall by ramming a workbench into them and all the other bullshit just drains my will to play what is otherwise is a good mod.  

Map has been changed to a free one about a week ago. The mod is still in alpha state. And I fail to see how the game is itself is buggy? 

Prince    118

Because desolation sucks as a mod and the new playerbase does not want to go through the effort of installing mods and activating them, hell I bet a majority of the new community doesnt even have arma 3.

Pretty simple desu 

Eagle    409
3 hours ago, Prince said:

Because desolation sucks as a mod and the new playerbase does not want to go through the effort of installing mods and activating them, hell I bet a majority of the new community doesnt even have arma 3.

Pretty simple desu 

You hit subscribe on the mod and click once to turn it on, doubt that's the reason people won't play. Quite a few members have Arma 3 but a lack of interest and character wipes make people not wanna play.

SouthernMan    1
Posted (edited)

Yeah i think its just because the mod just isn't quite ready yet, and character wipes are no fun.  It does have  great potential though when its a finished product.  Arma players are easy to get though, since you already have the server just run a exile reborn RP PVE(At First) server with a few mods and cut back a lot on what the traders sell so that guns etc have to be found by doing missions and such so it would  force people to work together and RP by selling weapons and vehicles to each other.  Leave the server open to the public until you build a playerbase. Could just use the exile lore for Characters, groups and stories. Anyway,  just a thought could always go back to desolation redux when its at later stage in development. To be fair there are only two Redux servers with populations above 25 at the moment.

Edited by SouthernMan
Addition to post.

Prince    118
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Eagle said:

You hit subscribe on the mod and click once to turn it on, doubt that's the reason people won't play. Quite a few members have Arma 3 but a lack of interest and character wipes make people not wanna play.

you overestimate this community 

Edited by Prince

Kerkkoh    49

Not sure what's planned in detail but after the lore wipe is done and Rolle has some time to brief me on the project, I suppose I'd be making some changes in terms of how things work within the server. I'm definitely not going to be able to dedicate full working hours on it (due to RL) but I hope it can make even a small difference.

Aeryes    127

Why did they choose desolation.... why not exile or something else..

Major Tom    88
Posted (edited)

Desolation had it's chance before and they fucked it all up. So many old players from mod returned. There were so many people waiting on the sidelines for something.. anything better than SA. Desolation finally came along and it was everything we had hoped for. Plenty of old mod players enjoying the server for a good while.

Then, staff showed lack of interest. I think only about 3 of the staff at the time actually payed attention to Desolation. Rolle seemed to be the only one who cared. The community raised issues with how the rules and such should be altered for a more fun experience. For example, rules stated you couldn't initiate on a helicopter that was hovering. This included 1cm off the ground, so people simply never landed their helicopters. Issues like this were brought to attention and nothing was done. Staff were too busy caring about SA instead. People got fed up and left and of course this lead to the death of the server.

Now we got Desolation a second time and it was on some map you had to pay for. It was also poorly advertised. I didn't even realise it was back, or I would have maybe tried to play on it and bring some friends. All the mod players that came back the first time have lost faith because of how badly it was run last time.

The reason these side projects die is because people treat them like lesser projects. "Oh it's just a side project, those never go well". If for ONCE the staff actually put full effort in to a side project and if the community would stop calling every project dead before it even begins, then we might see some success.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out how last time Desolation died because staff didn't listen to player complaints until it was too late. This time around, people were complaining about the map and it's only been changed after the server has died. I guess people don't learn from their mistakes huh.

Edited by Major Tom

Denton Fitz    3

TFAR Killed it for me, I just can't be bothered to set that up. Let alone wanna jump in to a game with it.

Rolle    2933

We're going to revisit the Desolation Redux once it becomes more stable. With current early alpha builds where basic functions and saving not working reliably, it's kind of pointless.

Sign in to follow this