Server time: 2017-10-18, 20:34
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Ender

Interview with a Community member: Red

Ender    632

a616739e69c3a4881b656cf170947ca5.png

Interviewing a community member is intended as a step towards bringing the community together. The idea is to create a thread where we will interview different community members, old and new.

During this interview we will ask the community member some questions regarding the community and how their DayZRP experience has been.

This week we interviewed: @Red

~ Tell us something unique about yourself -

Spoiler

I became a father almost four years ago. My life completely changed from that moment on. Despite the fact that I had rather wanted to be a father under different circumstances, my son is the most precious gift in the world. It has positively changed my life. It was a crash course at growing up and there were times where it seemed like it became too much for me to handle. This is why I had to step down the last time I was an admin. Fortunately, I got everything back on track and I feel like my life has become richer with my son.

~ Which section in the forums are you most interested in and why? -

Spoiler

Definitely the report section. If anything, this place shows us how the rules are functioning. Should multiple rule breaks occur of the same type, we could go back to the drawing board and see if we need to revise said rule to make it more understandable or more reasonable for the player. The community is constantly evolving and people are changing as well. As such it's hard to keep one set of rules throughout the entire existence of DayZRP. (Especially since the game changes from time to time as well.) 

~ How did you find out about DayZRP? -

Spoiler

I remember playing DayZ mod back when it was super popular. I ran into a random guy who I traveled alongside with. We managed to survive for a long time before we both got gunned down by a sniper who had been following us for a solid four hours. This random guy afterwards became a good friend of mine IRL. Funny how some in game events result into real life friendships. I realized that the game was designed to role play on so I did some research and found DayZRP! Before this I did a LOT of role playing on Second Life and various message boards. I have been role playing on and off since '07.

~ Have you made any friends during your time in this community? -

Spoiler

I feel so blessed to have met so many awesome people in this community. Unfortunately the majority of them are no longer here. These people gave me some of the most amazing role play scenes ever. I often reminisce with people who are still around. I could make a gigantic list of people who I met here and who have become my friends but I am certain that you'd know if you're on that list :)

~ What do you feel is missing from our community? -

Spoiler

Stability and Unity. This community is slowly recovering from a huge member loss and with that the community changed. Individuals who played a vital role into shaping this community are now gone and new people need to step up and take the torch so I encourage everyone to do just that. The community won't ever be like it was before because we don't have those people around but you have the opportunity to make the community better than it was. I would like to see if we can bring back Staff twitch sessions when I come back from vacation. That way we can engage in a dialogue with one another and see if we can make some positive changes to the community.

~ What are some of your most memorable DayZRP experiences, both IC and OOC? -

Spoiler

I think my most memorable experience would be the Council attack during the DayZ mod days. The scale of the battle was huge and so many people participated. It brought opposing groups together to fight one big bad guy. People got to see the other side of the story and my character became friends with people whom he hated before because we shared a common enemy. It made such a huge impact on all of the characters.

~ If you could meet one roleplay character you have met in game in real life, who would it be and why? -

Spoiler

I'd probably say Staggs from the Watchers. Following him in game made me feel like I was following an evil genius. At times I was genuinely worried that my character would say something wrong which would then get him into trouble. In the end though after I became a seasoned member of the Watchers, I came to learn of Stagg's dark backstory and drifted a little away from him. Still though, his character had so many dimensions that I would love to meet the individual if I had the oppertunity to do so. (granted with the protection of bullet proof glass lmao)

~ In your opinion, what are the best and worst parts of our community? -

Spoiler

It's members can be both the best and worst parts of our community. As I said before, we all shape this community and I have seen people who went from silly IC mistakes to Staff. While we should remain vigilant and ensure that our rules are being followed in game, we should also reach out to new players and give them a hand. Trust me when I say that effort gets rewarded. Perhaps not right away but eventually it pays off. We are always going to have bad apples in the community but they generally don't last long or get themselves in trouble one way or another.

~ How are you finding things in the community currently? -

Spoiler

Currently? Honestly? Tough to say. I don't want to say bad because I see that there are still great members around but I do notice that there is perhaps a little less interest to go RP lately. It might be because of the lore wipe or it might be that people are just fed up with how things are. The lore wipe should give us the oppertunity to start fresh though. A clean slate and hopefully a better future. 

~ Is there anything you regret IC or OOC that has happened since you have joined DayZRP (if yes, what and why?) -

Spoiler

You always end up regretting leaving staff. I regret leaving when I was an admin. I felt like I had let the community down. We made it through some really tough times. The entire admin team left and it was basically up to Roman, Shark, Terra, Conor and I to pick up the pieces and continue forward. We pulled through and I feel honored to have worked alongside these guys regardless of what the future has brought some of them.

~ What advice would you give to new members joining our community? -

Spoiler

Don't be afraid to ask. Don't hesitate to reach out. I know it might be intimidating but I encourage people to contact me. Have a chat with others and get to know them. Allow yourself to enchance your experience in DayZRP by partnering up with others. Learn from them and improve yourself. Use that knowledge and pass it down to others. A lot of people screw up. You might have a stern talk at times but be humble and use it to get better.

~ What do you think we, as community members, can do to make the community a better place? -

Spoiler

Communicate. I do not know if it still happens but we had meetings on TS back when I was an admin where we sat down with community members and talked about how we could improve RP and DayZRP as a whole. Very constructive things came out of those meetings. Also don't be afraid to reach out to each other. Check in with your friends and foes and get to know them. Show them that you aren't the big bully that you might be playing in character. Be approachable and approach others is basically what I am trying to say.

~ What made you want to join staff and has your time in staff changed that motivation or your perspectives on the community? -

Spoiler

I felt like I could make a positive contribution towards the community. I always had ideas on how things could be done better and I felt like the best way to do that was to try and aim for staff. I did that by putting myself out there on the forums. Expressing some of my ideas and reaching out to new members, ensuring that they would feel welcome. Eventually I was allowed the oppertunity to join and I embraced it with both arms. 

It's a fact that you get to see a whole different side of the community when you join staff. Especially when you hit the ranks of GM and Admin. My motivation to improve the community only improved when I became a GM and later on Admin. Because you can pretty much get to the root of the problem and fix it right there and then. Our staff team was very hands on at that time. If we felt like rules needed altering or changing, we sat down and talked until we had a fix.

We had a bunch of long talks back then, lol. Experiencing all of the above is the reason why I applied once more. I have time now and I genuinely want to invest into the community again. Even though most of my friends are gone. I hope to honor them by making new friends and keeping this place something to be proud of.

~ If you had to choose someone else’s character to be in game, who would it be and why? -

Spoiler

Hmmm though question..There are so many interesting characters that I have met throughout my stay here that It would be very hard for me to pick out one that I would like to play.

~ Who or what would you say was the biggest influence on your role-play? -

Spoiler

Lel, Brotherhood of Steel? hehe.. jk! Though it did show me what kind of character I wanted to play. I never really played full on bandit type characters. But if you want me to answer honestly: The Watchers. Hands down. Our communication during RP and firefights were top notch. At times we were sometimes called campfire RP'ers but we developed our characters and It really tought me how to play a character. How to show his flaws and how to express yourself in other ways than "Put your hands up or die." We had some serious COM nazi's @Stagsview (lel) but it was so worthwile. I truely cherish everyone that was part of that era as they are the reason why I am still around here today.

~ Do you have a favourite song? - 

Spoiler

The music I listen to depends entirely on my mood. I don't really have a favourite song.

~ Do you think any questions could be added to the interview formula and, if so, what and why? -

Spoiler

"If you could come up with an idea to improve the community. What would it be and why do you think it would improve the community?"

~ If you could choose one person to KOS and bullshit the logs to make it look like someone else did it, who would you KOS? Who would you blame it on? -

Spoiler

Oh I think we all know who that would be.... ;)

Thank you soo much @Red for allowing us to interview you <3

Spartan    1229

The guy who thought of the community interviews got interviewed himself:D

Nice one @Red

Ramon    360

Very nice interview Red! ;) I agree with a lot of things that you have said.

Idole    184

nice interview was interesting to read