Server time: 2017-08-18, 01:29

Sign in to follow this  
Joffrey

New Permadeath rule

Dusty    1031

I like the idea of this, however I think I would change something slightly.

I think it'd be better to change it to "If you get executed 3 times, you must permadeath your character". That being said, a con that could come of this would be people just never complying or even NVFLing in most situations. 

I'm unsure of the best way to change it, but I definitely think a permadeath rule (that doesn't allow people to make clones of their former characters) is definitely needed. Some tweaking would be good, but I think it'd be a step in the right direction. We want our community to be considered a hardcore serious RP server afterall. What type of 'hardcore, serious' RP server doesn't have a permadeath rule?

Para    175

@Joffrey,

I personally agree with the concept of a permadeath rule being implemented. The concept in itself brings the idea of a shit load of realism to the game. But i'm afraid i disagree with it once it's put into practice.

Yes it will improve the quality of characters and make people worry about their characters more, but this will only apply to those that gave a shit in the first place. In general this applies to the more PvP focused side of things, but if their character dies they will literally just pop up with a new ones and hang around with the exact same group of friends doing the exact same thing. Whilst yes it would be obvious when a cookie cutter character crops up, all it requires is a little bit of non-trolly effort and we'd be unable to do anything about it as people are free to RP in the style they choose.

In addition to this and from anecdotal evidence, people have experienced a permadeath rule before. The OOC hate that comes with it is phenomenal. People will abuse the system as much as possible to kill the characters of the people they dislike. Why? Because it'll piss them off OOC and it's insanely hard to prove OOC hate is the cause. 

Really this concept only hinders the people that gave a shit about their charactrs in the first place so i'm a -1 to this idea. The abuse of this concept would be too easy to do and too costly for those that don't abuse it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That being said, questions do crop up. Such as:

1. Are you forced to permadeath if that 3rd execution is invalid?
  2. Do we force people to prove they had execution rights via video etc.?
  3. Do we include accidental IG deaths?

Honestly, i like the idea in concept and theory. However practically i think it is too costly to those that actually give a shit about their character and not that costly to those that don't.

Glitch    15

Step 1: Yes. I am all for perma-death. I like the three death thing because you can make sense of surviving once or twice and MAYBE a third time and then you perma.

People get tired of their character or the RP because it feels the same. Perma death would promote making new characters more often than usual and experimenting with all kinds of different character ideas. Perma-death would also reduce the amount of PVP there is, and increase RP because the consequence is larger and more important than just losing your gear. With new rule IDEAS presented by Rolle, after a firefight a 5 minute temp ban to consequence for a death in a firefight wouldn't bring about much RP, it would just feel like an annoying punishment whereas perma death makes you actually lose something you cared about (your character) and thus would reduce firefights, promote RP and even make firefights more dramatic.

Perma-death would promote RP both hostile and non-hostile. It would feel less like an apocalyptic shooter and more like an apocalypse. People running around stealing, robbing each other with more RP involved, and negotiating for justice, revenge etc.

Step 2: No cookie cutter characters. Maybe you can make a similar character but don't have the same backstory just with different names. Don't behave EXACTLY the same.

Step 3: Yes.

+100,000,000 for perma death

Joffrey    718
2 minutes ago, Para said:

Honestly, i like the idea in concept and theory. However practically i think it is too costly to those that actually give a shit about their character and not that costly to those that don't.

True, but if your character is VERY important to you.. you will value that characters life. You will comply. right? You wont go around being a fuck boi... you'll be realsitic. If you want your character to live... play like you would in real life... right?

You'll always have to prove your execution rights in a report.

Invalid executions wouldn't count.. 

I dont feel anything accidental should count. Only count executions, or RP kills that develop outside the execution rule.

Para    175
1 minute ago, Joffrey said:

True, but if your character is VERY important to you.. you will value that characters life. You will comply. right? You wont go around being a fuck boi... you'll be realsitic. If you want your character to live... play like you would in real life... right?

You'll always have to prove your execution rights in a report.

Invalid executions wouldn't count.. 

I dont feel anything accidental should count. Only count executions, or RP kills that develop outside the execution rule.

Some good answers. Honestly if you can come up with an idea that works well I'll support it. Change is a good idea right now, so i'm willing to give some concepts a go. Despite this having some good ideas, i still fear that ultimately it won't punish the 'fuckboi' side of things all that much.

Shadows    996

I've always supported forcing perma-deaths and really can't wrap my mind around people being "too attached" to their characters to disagree with it.

So if you're so attached, shouldn't you like, you know, act like it? Not get into conflict and when people start shooting just press F2? 

• "Oh but Shadows my character has been around for 2 years I would be distraught if he died and I was forced to perma-death."
  • "Dude. You do realize that it's 100% indirectly your choice if they die or not, right?"

And the one thing that always tilts me. This server isn't all about yourself. Your character may die doesn't mean you're permed. You gave everyone that you RP'd with something to add to their story now that you're gone for good. Don't you think it's a little bit selfish to use it being "my character I don't want him dead" as an excuse? /end rant

Para    175
Just now, Shadows said:

-snip-

• "Dude. You do realize that it's 100% indirectly your choice if they die or not, right?"

-snip-

Honestly, this i've been saying for a while. If you give somebody no reason to harm you, then you don't get killed / executed and your character lives on. If you choose to harm others, you indirectly accept all of the consequences it brings with it. If those consequences are executions and result in a permanent death, then you chose to endanger your character.

Mexi    1013

Change the NLR rule back to how it was before so you're unable to remember what took place prior to your execution.

Change the execution rights back to 3 or even 2 hostile encounters so it's not just a "One hostile incident that's one strike off his board!"

If the above is changed I'd be all for it but other than that I'd rather look for another way to deal with it if not.

Elmo    896

I voiced my opinion on this in Cow's thread a few months back when we were discussing this exact same situation. A TL;DR of it would be that I support it, consequence needs to be enforced for hostile actions at this point. If you cannot remove certain characters from the world, along with their individual mentality, you will condemn RP to become an endless cycle of the same thing. As it stands, violence has no consequence unless the player decides it should have consequences for them. That, in my humble opinion, is not how it should be as, once you step into the world, you have an impact on the stories of everybody around you. It is only fair that you should afford them the same privilege.

Funnily enough Joffrey, I did actually draft a rule on that thread a while back too. It was just a sample but, if you're inclined to read it, I'll leave it here for you to see what you think:

Majoo    642

Personally I am open to the concept of permadeath rule and I would like to see it added in some way that i would work good, of course I do have some concerns about it but in general I like your suggestion so far Joffrey.

Mercy    487

I would be open to it but the fact that I don't trust this community sometimes on being truthful ruins the fun. I'd rather not, no offence to anyone. Just paranoia sometimes is helpful.

Mexi    1013
6 minutes ago, Mercy said:

I would be open to it but the fact that I don't trust this community sometimes on being truthful ruins the fun. I'd rather not, no offence to anyone. Just paranoia sometimes is helpful.

Reporting the person if you feel they are breaching said rule to then find out they're not would reinforce the rule Joffrey is proposing.  

William    398
Posted (edited)

I like this idea. It's gives a sense of fear while you play. I guess the people that are opposed to this suggestion are the people who are to attached to their characters like it's a sibling 

Its a virtual character, it's not like you're losing a close family member. 

Edited by William

Rebel Pado    282

Classic rebel pado always up to no good. But as always i agree with you Jeffery.

CorbSlayer    33

I agree with the inclusion of a rule that would enforce permadeath more strictly than in the current rules. As of now, dying has no real consequence other than you are required to run back up north from the coast. Such a rule would require players to act in a realistic and more cautious way if they wish to prolong the life of their character.

I could also get behind the addition of a rule that makes radio chatter shit talking a hostile action that can result in an execution. My only suggestion is maybe increase the number of hostile actions that are required to warrant an execution given that the weight of an execution would be increased with the implementation of a "3 strikes you're out" permadeath rule.

Mercy    487
1 hour ago, Mexi said:

Reporting the person if you feel they are breaching said rule to then find out they're not would reinforce the rule Joffrey is proposing.  

Still on a 50/50. I've had friends executed for zilch reasoning and they asked staff and apparently they said it was in the rules... I'm just gonna play safe. I can't be assed with the drama of more reports. I feel like this will add to the salt fest. Too much salt is bad for my diet.

Mexi    1013
Just now, Mercy said:

Still on a 50/50. I've had friends executed for zilch reasoning and they asked staff and apparently they said it was in the rules... I'm just gonna play safe. I can't be assed with the drama of more reports. I feel like this will add to the salt fest. Too much salt is bad for my diet.

Zilch reasoning with 0 RP would be bad RP and you and your friends should be reporting it to remove the bad apples doing it from the community, salt or not those that are salty over it would more than likely not be around for much longer after people open their eyes and realise that reporting it would deal with the shit cunts that don't care.

Mercy    487
Just now, Mexi said:

Zilch reasoning with 0 RP would be bad RP and you and your friends should be reporting it to remove the bad apples doing it from the community, salt or not those that are salty over it would more than likely not be around for much longer after people open their eyes and realise that reporting it would deal with the shit cunts that don't care.

True that. We'll have to see when the lorewipe happens won't we :P 

Voodoo    357
2 hours ago, Mexi said:

Change the NLR rule back to how it was before so you're unable to remember what took place prior to your execution.

Simply this.

Lyca    676

I would like to change execution rules, so you need at least a few hostile incidents and not only one. In my opinion people should not be executed for bullshit reason. And they should be executed in a way where they could survive that when they don't permadeath. 

Another thing is. Permadeath rule. 

Yeah I know people are for that rule but sadly I don't think it should be there. I think there would be even more OOC hate and OOC salt. That is just how it is. It would create much more OOC conflict. Someone who says I am wrong with that, just closes his eyes to that. I am not saying it wouldn't be more realistic but I don't think it is worth it. Permadeath should be the choice of the owner of the character.