Server time: 2017-08-21, 06:38

Sign in to follow this  
Brayces

What is "Good" Hostile RP?

Brayces    179

Helloooo everyone,

It's me, Brayces! As many of you know, I'm fairly new and still getting my footing in the community. This is also my first time ever role playing before and I have to say I'm having a blast!

Today, I'd like to get a general sense of what the community, as a whole, considers to be "good" hostile RP. I keep hearing of these "golden glory days" in which the hostile/NonHostile RP was soo amazing and that today it's so hard to find good, decent hostile RP. 

I want to make this perfectly clear, this is a OPEN, NEUTRAL, GENERAL discussion. This is NOT the place to pull in and shit talk anyone or any group, okay? If you want to use examples, please be vague enough or polite and civil enough to discuss.

I'll start off, so ... I've only ever had two 'formal' hostile RPs and witnessed one other that I was not directly involved in.

First was AMAZZZINNGG, I loved it. It was perfect, to me at least, there was tension there was danger, there was pain RP and there was reasoning and IC understanding of WHY it was happening and it was not for any stupid reason. We were taken care of (avatar wise, food, water, etc so we wouldn't die while/during the RP.) It made sense as a whole, and we all left at the end of it feeling like we can develop our characters from the experience. I had the understanding that I wouldn't be killed for any ol' reason but only if I seriously fucked up IC, everyone was dedicated to moving the RP along, keeping people around to experience it and having a good time.

The second one, I can only describe as 'Okay'. It was good don't get me wrong, it was fun, but in the end it stopped abruptly due to accidental situation which quickly cut off all RP for me, :(. While I understand no one was at directly at fault, I still feel like some people were not that into it as others which kinda bummed me out, like there wasn't as much care and communication involved as my first hostile RP experience. Maybe it's the lore wipe coming so soon, or maybe the group just didn't or don't enjoy/experience the RP the same way but I still left feeling "meh" but I still had fun, and I still accept it for what it was! A different type/style of RP, no qualms or complaints there.

And the third one I watched was great! I loved it! Wow! It had storylines, it had characters, it had plot, it had development, it was so so great. Just getting to watch it I could really feel everyone was INTO it and really enjoying themselves. Hell, people's lives were in danger and they could of died any second of the exchange but wow, to watch how people were RPing as if the pixels talking to them were real people blew me away. I'd really like to take this experience and apply it every time I encounter hostile RP.

But, here is where my question comes in ... I've been seeing reports and people complaining that the state of Hostile RP and RP in general, that it's not as good or what have you as it used to be... But, what is considered "Good" hostile RP? Was is the base, and what should be considered "Great" Hostile RP? I haven't been here for long enough, so I would like to hear from the community on what the standard of good, hostile RP needs to be and what can and should be expected from everyone as a whole who is a part of DayZRP.

Elmo    914

I don't think its so much the calibre of the roleplayers as the frequency of the hostile roleplay. Quite a few of my friends get taken hostage on the reg and, whilst it can be fun the first few times, when it constantly occurs and you get the same roleplay from the same people, it gets boring quickly. We're all guilty of falling into ruts but, unfortunately, ruts are the bane of fun. 

Saradomin    355

For me, when I think of good hostile RP there is two things that comes to mind.

The first, is back in the days when there were actall group wars. Where groups would have meetings to have a cease-fire, just to break out in a full pledge war again. It didnt have to be bandit groups at all, they were not hostile to everyone, they just had wars amongs themselves.

The other, is any hostile RP that brings enjoyment to both parties. RP is a two way street, and need both parties to RP and to do things, to make it enjoyable. For me, it is a case by case, but, as i said, as long as both parties enjoy it, it is good.  For me personally, you got to let the hostage let his feeling out, maybe cry, scream in pain and so on, while the hostage takers have to come up with something aswell, to make the rp flow smoothly.

Brady    287

Hello! Anime lover Brady here! In my experience, the best hostile RP is when the initiators actually care about how the other person enjoys the RP. Its when the initiators actually have a reason to be taking someone, and when its not about the gear. The best example I can give is here. The reason we took this man is because he took one of our friends just an hour before, he didnt have any gear we needed, we literally just took him because it made sense. This guy new who we were the minute we put our masks on, and right away he was telling us to kill him(pretty clear NVFL shown in the video). Instead of just shooting him in the head like most groups do now, we forced him to RP with us. In the end, he came out alive, and I got a poke 10 minutes later from him saying it was the best RP he has ever had. It was good because we actually cared that this guy enjoyed the RP, we wanted him to enjoy our side of RP no matter how much he didn't want to. Sadly, people dont seem to care anymore about it. They roam looking for anyone with gear, and instead of caring about others enjoying RP they tell us to stay mad. Its a sad reality but hopefully lorewipe will fix it!

Static    231

I like to think of hostile RP as more than simply initiations, hostage-taking, banditry, or firefights.  Hostile RP is all-inclusive.  Literally anything you might deem hostile in your daily life (from a shove to an insult to mass murder) falls within the spectrum.  What seems to happen nowadays is players imagine Hostile RP only in the scope of fighting, torturing, or robbing people.

Say I am a character on edge, maybe I just killed an infected horde and was banged up in the process.  A person rounds the corner and scares the shit out of me.  I'm going to yell at them, point my gun, tell them to back up.  That's Hostile RP.  Any time there is tension which causes one party to feel unsafe, that's Hostile RP.  I think good H-RP is indicated by, like @Saradomin said, a smooth flow.  It needs to feel organic and it needs to be creative.  Honestly though, that's just the definition of good RP overall to me, so take that how you will.

Tony    613

Hello, Tony here and I have a fair deal of experience with hostility in a roleplay sense. 

The first thing you need to remember when instigating a hostile roleplay is that it is your god damned duty to provide the best roleplay you can possibly. Now roleplay is a two way street, so you must provide the victim with something to write off of. There is no win, there is no lose. You are both telling a story with each other and you have to keep that mentality, even if it is as simple as robbing them for supplies. The RP needs to be your priority. 

What is your motive for doing this? Sure robbing someone is a good motive, but you are going to get creative, you need to know -why- you are creative. I could sit there and in character explain why slavery is good for humanities development. OOC'ly I know it's this horrific horrible thing, but by the time I am done IC'ly, you would be able to understand why my character would believe in it and maybe even by the end  feel slightly swayed. You're doing this horrible evil thing, but at the same time you are justifying it. That right there is a powerful motivational tool to be a villain. You could do the same with any number of evil things, even torture. If you can argue and rationalise it you have the tools to provide some incredible roleplay. You may even be doing things under the pretence of doing -good-

Understand that not everyone is going to understand what you are doing. Some people simply cannot stand the idea of being a hostage. Maybe they've had too many bad experiences, who knows, so this brings me to the 3 P's.

Patience, persistence and perseverance. 

You do not have to kill someone the second you have kill rights and you will be given them. You'll have people telling you to kill them, you'll have them not valuing their life, they'll be rude... it'll happen. Now you can kill them, that is completely within your right, but once you do... RP over, GG, go home folks. Make them aware you have no problem ending their miserable existence, but reverse rationalise with them if it is something your character would do, after all even if you are robbing someone... if they are dead, you can't rob them again later. There is always a reason to let someone live. Death should be special. Now under certain circumstances such as having a lot of hostages, it might be worth taking one out if they are beyond obnoxious and do not appreciate their situation, if only to set an example for the rest and bring a sense of severity to the roleplay itself.

You'll notice I've left out everything to do with torture. Anyone can torture, but hostility is a mind set. You are the driving force of the roleplay. You can use torture to motivate, you can use it to drive your point home, but the real torture is in the threat of what could be, the lingering wait... the possibility. An excellent hostile roleplayer can generate fear, compliance and subjugation without even lifting a finger. Now granted this depends on who you are roleplaying with, but remember this... the human beings number one instinct is to stay alive. Make sure they -remember- this little fact.

The roleplay of course takes presidency and although I said have patience when it comes to kill rights and using them, this does not mean do not kill people. If you are merciful 100% of the time, you will lose your intimidation credibility. You must be taken seriously. Milk the RP for all it's worth and if you have a really good reason and I mean an exceptionally good reason... take the kill. Of course if you have someone there for like 20 minutes plus of straight up no value for life... calling you a pussy and out right not giving a shit... no one will blame you for killing them. That fault is on them, not you. It should be super rare to encounter anyone who will beg you to kill them, especially in a world where the primary goal is to survive. Super brave or super angry is no excuse.

Rolle    2453

I think good hostile RP must meet these four criteria:

- Focuses on role play aspect and not the kills, gear or the fact that you have power over other players.

- It always makes sense in character, in other words does not target innocent players where hostility would not benefit you or your group in any way (aka "I'm bored, let's initiate" hostile RP)

- It follows the principle of fair play, meaning people do not use cheap tactics like initiating from behind walls or talk telepathically with teammates through TS, do not exploit game mechanics to gain unfair advantage.

- It keeps the hostilities proportionate to the wrongdoing or history that the victims have done (aka no killing for refusing to sing)

I'm sure I forgot about something, but that's about all I can come up with right now.

Eagle    346

Two factors need to be in place for a situation that is hostile to be fun.
1.The Hostage takers need to get a motive going or a reason as to why they're doing it and flow with the RP provided from their friends and the hostages to get the RP season flowing, otherwise it ends up in a massive bland name etc type of thing where you sit there confused and kinda empty for RP when you leave.
2.The hostage themselves need to realize that they have been taken hostage and accept the fact that their lives are now in the hands of others instead of going ''reason!?! please give me reason thx'' and complain about rules and OOC. Allow the situation just like the takers to flow and see where the situation will take you worry less about your gear and just about yourself if there are more people in the crowd. If it ends badly then do as you wish with it.
This also used to be RP back in 2014  when the servers were fresh and that used to be standard yet people complained less odd.

Joffrey    718

Good hostile RP doesn't really exist atm. I'm quite positve with hte lore wipe, and fresh ideas to work with there will be  fun Hostile RP with IC build-up a developments.  ATM tho its more of just a "Nothings going on.. I'm too lazy to start something of my own.... let's just rob some folks.. n torture 'em" Just my opinion of course.

Dew    224

I feel as though good hostile RP comes when both sides of the situation are giving their best RP possible. When you have a hostage that isn't really doing much rp it sorta kills the vibe. When the hostage taker and hostage are both giving their best rp, now that can make some interesting situations. Hostile RP is a two-way street, if one side is out of it, it'll limit the other sides rp as well. When both sides of the situation are having a good time that's when you know you're giving good hostile rp.

Hollows    426
Posted (edited)

It's been a good few years since I've had good Hostile RP (As a hostage, because I just never comply), and all I can say is it should make sense as to why you're a hostage ICly.

Usually, when someone takes you hostage, it's for two things:

1. They want to gain or use you as a leverage against someone/thing.
  2. Getting revenge for any hostile acts you've done towards them in the past.

If nothing here fits the criteria, it usually doesn't make much sense to me. I'm an advocate for the short but sweet robberies. If I'm getting jacked of my M4, I don't give a Dimmadamn about your life story, take my shit and go. People had this mindset that they need to provide 30+ minutes of stale RP when just robbing me, and they throw in bullshit interrogation scenes to try and make up for it. It doesn't make any sense why I'm being blatantly robbed and you're asking me stupid questions like," Hey, random stranger... Have you heard of this group/person?" 

... Wat? When people mug/rob people, it's usually they go in, take their shit and get out. To reiterate, good Hostile RP is that the encounter needs to match the situation. If you're meeting me for the first time ever, don't beat me to a fucking pulp or ask to permascar when all you wanted was my M4 and Converses... Act appropriately to the situation, beat my ass if you've actually got beef with me, not because you're bored and I'm the only unlucky SOB you've found running in a field all day.

Edited by Hollows

To me, it seems like the hostile RP I've ever encountered would make sense nearing the beginning of maybe 6 months-1 year after the infection has broken out but if I'm not mistaken, we're a few good years into the apocalypse already.

I feel like in all honesty that I run into more encounters where I'm getting robbed and encountering the same stale roleplay as everyone else is discussing in here, while nicer encounters and people with "hero" ideals become less frequent.

I think this far into the apocalypse, things should have calmed down by now instead of getting robbed every time you breathe in someone's general direction. I think this much in-game hostility would make sense if the apocalypse is fresh on everyone's mind and still a new thing to everyone. When you think of the start of the apocalypse, well, for me when I think of it I think of all this hostility like we're all experiencing in-game currently. People are turning on each other at a moment's notice, people are killing everywhere, people are robbing and looting stores, all that. I expect to see this after the lore-wipe, the craziness of the apocalypse just now kicking in since no one is used to knowing what the apocalypse is like. To me, it just seems like the good, hostile RP should start at the beginning of the lore-wipe with new, fresh experiences instead of being robbed twice in a row in less than the time period of three hours and getting the same robbing experience I got three hours prior and just asking me "Hey, didn't we just rob you a while back?" and then starting at square one again without doing anything different.

I think there's been a lot of good points made in here, specifically:

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

I don't think its so much the calibre of the roleplayers as the frequency of the hostile roleplay. Quite a few of my friends get taken hostage on the reg and, whilst it can be fun the first few times, when it constantly occurs and you get the same roleplay from the same people, it gets boring quickly. We're all guilty of falling into ruts but, unfortunately, ruts are the bane of fun. 

I'm inclined to agree with getting the same roleplay from people, in fact, that's the point I had just made where someone gets robbed by a group twice within the span of three hours and the only thing that's different in their roleplay interactions with you is "Hey, weren't you the same guy we robbed a little bit ago?" and maybe them sharing a chuckle or two about the statement.

Nihoolious    1110

Good hostile rp is subjective. For example some people really enjoy the clown type rp with torture and fear, while others despise it. Some people like the hostile rp groups that go around causing mayhem everywhere they go, others call them PvP hungry bandits. Someone's idea of hostile rp is always going to be different then another's and that's not going anywhere. 

I will say however that in the time leading up to lorewipe people have been doing the bare minimum for hostile rp and rp in general since its all going to be reset in a week. You can't entirely put them at fault for that. It also doesn't help that its mostly hostile rpers running around the popular areas of the map because everyone else on the server is off doing their own thing in the far reaches of the map. It makes the distribution of players unbalanced. 

Hebee    2230
3 hours ago, Brady said:

Hello! Anime lover Brady here! 

No.

And I don't know personally what I consider good hostile role-play because there is no real set thing that makes it good or that is required to make it good. Either I enjoy it or I don't. 

I will state however that the gamblers V1 probably had the most enjoyable hostile role-play I ever experienced on this server.

Ohh, an excellent question about which I personally rant to people constantly! Let's see if I can articulate those rants a bit.

* First and foremost, good hostile RP has a REASON. Obviously sometimes people rob someone cause they need food/meds/ammo/guns/fleshlights, but that shouldn't happen too often. In a post-apocalyptic situation like this, everyone - even bandits -  would have figured out some kind of independent food source, like farming, hunting, fishing, or a giant-ass stack of cans that they found somewhere. IRL any bandit group that relied purely on what they could steal would be dead many times over by now. Given the risk behind any hostage-taking, said reasons should also be good ones; "I don't like your face" or "you said mean things to me" should be rare. One of the "good ol' days" trends was that characters developed a lot of connections and relationships, and sometimes by agreeing to help one person you crossed another. Or maybe your best bro robbed someone for food, and that someone had friends and figured out you two knew each other. Maybe you're in a group that got into a turf war over a prime water source (say a uniquely clean freshwater pond) and that group hired backup. Maybe you killed someone, and that someone had a brother. But there was usually a good reason, and that reason is what drives the best RP.

* Second, good hostile RP has DISCOURSE. Hostages could talk back to hostage takers; I'm not talking about "fuck you cunt", btw. I'm talking about veiled threats of reprisal, "do you know who I am", refusals to talk (with appropriate pain RP of course). Maybe you'd get tortured, maybe you'd get some debate back, but you wouldn't get shot in the head for saying anything other than "yes sir, no sir, here's everything I know sir". Hostage takers had patience.

* Hostile RP wasn't about a power trip. There was far less of this "you're my hostage so you have to do what I say" mentality, less permascarring and extreme torture, less weird requests that make no sense. Hostile RP was initiated as a two-way street with the knowledge that your hostage should feel entertained too.

* Lastly, it was rare to initiate with the expectation of non-compliance. If you believed your target would fight back, you BACKED OFF unless you were %100 positive the victims could be taken down without a scratch to your guys. Why? Because you actually valued your life and the lives of your fellow bandits. If you thought the present situation wasn't advantageous, you would wait, and stalk your intended target until they were alone.

Species    239

I love Hostile RP that never brings on initiations, when I walk into town and see a guy or group that has taken me hostage or I've gotten into a gunfight with and we are there just bickering back and forth. I've actually had some points where I was completely hostile to a group just for making fun of my race and it ended up with becoming friends because I explained why China is the #1 country, and they took me in as a man who added diversity to their group. They realized the wrong in their actions, apologized and we moved on from there.

Ive also had situations where I was forced to preform certain actions that developed my character, I was taken as a slave and to gain my freedom I had to take another person to replace my spot as a slave. I ended up taking two people hostage and slowly returned to the original party with the two new people, which in return I was paid for my deed and released. It gave my character the first taste of the bad side and he slowly developed into a "bandit" because he realized it was so easy to manipulate people in the apocalypse.

I just feel that if you take from the situation and build, instead of halting the RP after departing from the taker it makes amazing situations.

ps like when the watchers formed from a group of ragtag survivors because he IRA wronged us in a personal manner. #ModMemories

Idole    178

That's just it @FiftyFootAnt people don't value their characters life people are to busy looking for a quick adreneline rush it defeats the purpose to have a NVFL rule because players go out looking for a fight knowing they could die just to respawn and the cycle begins again. 

Players initiate for no real reason nowadays and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

A hostage can't really rp in a hostage situation the hostage takers have traps in place to try and either twist you words or to get you to react in a way they shoot you. You have to obey their every command. you can't back talk them, you can't threaten them, you can't refuse what they want as it's not complying. 

If they even get a hint that you might be difficult you have a bullet in your head for not complying faster then you can say no and they are safe behind that beautiful NVFL rule because in their eyes you did not comply. 

Good hostage rp should have a reason behind it not because someone is bored or wants your gear or to humilate another player. In my opinion good hostage rp shouldn't even be about gear in the first place or initiating on someone you never met and torturing them to within an inch of their life for no reason.

Patience is another one they need if they don't have the patience to deal with a hostage who has complied they usually find whatever reason to get them not to comply.

But it's a two way street if your anything like me and you have lost count how many times you have been taken hostage you may be salty or just fed up.

Not all hostage rp is bad though there are those though that make it their mission to produce good hostage rp who do have reason and are patient and don't have a happy trigger finger and want to show players what good hostile rp is all about.

I have experienced both good and poor hostile rp that either leave me with a good and happy memory or feeling like shit after the experience.

Right know hostile rp is the bare minimum as lore wipe is happening soon hopefully after that it improves a bit.

Pussy    311

People qualify "good" RP very differently. 

For me personally, I focus less on what people should be doing, and more on what people should not be doing. If it feels forced, or like they're doing it just for the gear or the fuck of it, then I pretty much get bored right away. If you're going to be doing something with your character, at least have some motivation for doing so in my opinion.

If I can tell people are genuinely trying to provide good hostile RP, then I don't focus as much on the little details. We've all gotta learn, after all. 

Aiko    578

Rytsas se sȳz bantis! (Hello and good evening!)

Like many have mentioned here really it depends on the motive behind the hostility, and how the hostage OOC attitude is.

One of my favorite times of being a hostage, was when the French Foreign Legion was around Kab. My character liked to hang with everyone, and make friends with everyone. That was including slavers, clowns, and what not. Well the FFL didn't like this and to teach me a lesson they captured me and a few others. Then proceeded to scare the shit out of me! It was fun, and it made sense! Though some what argue that taking me for just being with the wrong people isn't a valid reason, to me it was perfectly valid. They had warned me and my character just didn't listen. So yeah, and I didn't really care that they took some of my things. Its just the gear....easy to get back.

Where I see the divided is when the hostile rpers are fed up with the campfire rpers who dont give proper rp when they are hostages. Similar there are the campfire rpers who are tired of getting the drop your shit...run north. Its not all campfire rpers who are bad, and like wise its not all the hostile rpers who are bad. Its just those one or two who end up giving a bad name to them. 

In my opinion as long as it makes sense for your character to rob someone, and or kid nap them. Then I see no issue at all! People are quick to jump on the pvpers are horrible rpers, and like wise that all campfire rpers do is hide up north. Heck yes I am going to hide! If I am being looked for why would I go to the most populated areas! I want to give my villains a drive to find me! I am not going to offer myself up on a sliver platter! To me it makes the rp that much more fun. I love me some hostile rp, as long as it make sense and I get some character development from it!

Anyway! That is what my thoughts on it are anyway. :D 

Chief    597
16 hours ago, Hebee said:

No.

And I don't know personally what I consider good hostile role-play because there is no real set thing that makes it good or that is required to make it good. Either I enjoy it or I don't. 

I will state however that the gamblers V1 probably had the most enjoyable hostile role-play I ever experienced on this server.

Hey don't discount you Chase Williams probably one of the best hostile story arc's from this guy ^

Good hostile role play is all about tension, creating tension and unpredictability. Not to mention correct escalation of force. If you get captured and don't know your captors then 30 seconds later get tortured then "//can we carve "dirty whitename" in your forehead" you aren't going to be very amused. Especially after seeing a similar tactic from other groups. More people need to break the mold and do what they did back in the day. Take risks, and keep it interesting FOR BOTH PARTIES. In the ol' gm days people took risks a lot and often paid for it. Just know the initiators are at a disadvantage rule wise for a reason. So that they give good enough role play it won't matter if there is a minor infraction because when there is good RP everyone will swallow mistakes a little easier and forgive things. On all sides. You have killrights? Why not extend the RP? Rather than shorten it with a kill. Re initiate, try to capture your captors if you escape. Then the other side needs to have a minor notion of "I could kill them, but if I surrender what would the RP be like?"

If a large portion of people got off their big dick high horse and understood that if you provide good types of RP ALL AROUND then it will promote good RP. Killing is not always the best option for RP.

Prince    93
On 7/14/2017 at 3:39 PM, Brady said:

Hello! Anime lover Brady here! 

Anime is trash and so is your waifu 

I was going to link a video from the 85th back in the mod that was fantastic but it was taken down by my buddy...awkward well my best advice is hostile rp is a two way street, so dont act like a robot. 

The Buddha    23

Good any RP depends on everyone involved. Hostile or friendly, everyone involved has to get a chance to do or say something.

There has to be some form of arc to it. From the initiation to the escalation of the situation to it's conclusion. Hostage takers have to interact with the hostages, not just demand everything dropped and told to run away, that is technically avoiding RP.  Demands have to be kept rational too.  Oh you can throw in a few cookie demands too, but don't go using that as a kill right, work on it.  use the hostages failure (for whatever reason) to accomplish the task as a way to induce fear on them. Point your gun at them, right to their temple and start threatening to do it. But there is literally no need to pull the trigger unless your victim decided to charge at you or fails to do a simple task. But never on the first refusal.  In other words give the hostage some input into the scene, besides being told to sit there and shut up. 

I feel kill rights are given far too easily in hostage situations. It also gives less freedom for roleplay to evolve more naturally, as hostages can be then trapped into getting killed, or can be totally eliminated from participating.   As I said before, telling someone to shut up when they make so much as a whimper, while rummaging through their bag is NOT roleplay. 

OFA-Faux    4
Posted (edited)

Golden Rules

Focus on the enjoyment of others above you own. Always. ESPECIALLY if you are the hostile.

Loot is a reward for good RP and not the reason for RP. (needing guns and ammo for a war is a reason if you explain it)

Always give people a chance to talk, dont talk over people or yell at them to shut up over and over.

Roleplay with people dont just sit there and add nothing to the dialog.

Try and talk with the other party and ask how they enjoyed the RP when able.

What I look for as a hostile
Roleplays hunger/thrist to ask for food/water.
Roleplaying a desire to survive.
Roleplaying pain.
Paying attention to what hostiles say and acting according.
Roleplaying with other hostages and other people in the hostile group not just the "face".

What I look for as a hostage
More than just the "face" talking and participating.
Originality with torture or adding permanent effects.
Being allowed to roleplay and talk as well.
The reason for the robbery to be made clear.
If its a group I should afterwords have a basic understanding of the group and its motives/objectives.
If the hostiles act according to its description.
Its nice (though not required) if the group ICly has mixed feelings about the encounter and its roleplayed out.
Appropriate escalation of hostilities and violence.

Edited by OFA-Faux

Dio Brando    20

I know I'm pretty late to the party here but I figured I would speak my piece.

Good hostile RP is when both parties have good IC reasoning for why the situation is developing. A character is made an example of and is permanently scarred in some way either physically or mentally. The RP'ers don't overstep their boundaries and turn the situation into a pissing contest of who is better than who, they should treat you like an equal... but at the same time punish you and harm you for your actions towards them or their friends. Nothing ruins "hostile" rp more than unnecessarily torturing your victim, providing poor reasoning as to why you are being so brutal to your victim, or acting so cocky IRL that it OOC'ly bleeds through your character. You have to really consider whether or not your character would cut off a person's finger for just talking bad about them, and if that makes sense for your character thats fine but I have seen many people with neutral characters acting unusually brutal for the person they are roleplaying as.

I think that if you want to be very brutal with your hostile rp you have to first build up to that with experiences in-game and through your character.

Bad example of hostile rp: I was taken hostage yesterday by a group of 4 people, their leader asked me if I knew of any Russians because he was looking for someone. I complied and told him that I only encountered one, I described where I saw him and what my character had to go off of to describe him. He then cut down a tree, toke a long pointed stick and jabbed it in my foot... with no lead up to it or anything. This isn't terrible, but it's not great either. It ended up being a very enjoyable "hostile" scenario after that but his reasoning for torturing me was lacking and he likely did it because he wanted to OOC'ly and not because his character wanted to. I believe that their is a firm difference between what your character would do and what you want to do, and for people to be good at hurting others or being hostile towards others they must first understand that difference and only act out their character's wishes.

Jango    29
22 hours ago, Dio Brando said:

I know I'm pretty late to the party here but I figured I would speak my piece.

Good hostile RP is when both parties have good IC reasoning for why the situation is developing. A character is made an example of and is permanently scarred in some way either physically or mentally. The RP'ers don't overstep their boundaries and turn the situation into a pissing contest of who is better than who, they should treat you like an equal... but at the same time punish you and harm you for your actions towards them or their friends. Nothing ruins "hostile" rp more than unnecessarily torturing your victim, providing poor reasoning as to why you are being so brutal to your victim, or acting so cocky IRL that it OOC'ly bleeds through your character. You have to really consider whether or not your character would cut off a person's finger for just talking bad about them, and if that makes sense for your character thats fine but I have seen many people with neutral characters acting unusually brutal for the person they are roleplaying as.

I think that if you want to be very brutal with your hostile rp you have to first build up to that with experiences in-game and through your character.

Bad example of hostile rp: I was taken hostage yesterday by a group of 4 people, their leader asked me if I knew of any Russians because he was looking for someone. I complied and told him that I only encountered one, I described where I saw him and what my character had to go off of to describe him. He then cut down a tree, toke a long pointed stick and jabbed it in my foot... with no lead up to it or anything. This isn't terrible, but it's not great either. It ended up being a very enjoyable "hostile" scenario after that but his reasoning for torturing me was lacking and he likely did it because he wanted to OOC'ly and not because his character wanted to. I believe that their is a firm difference between what your character would do and what you want to do, and for people to be good at hurting others or being hostile towards others they must first understand that difference and only act out their character's wishes.

Pretty much this in a lump sum... although I think it's mainly gear RP disguised or masked as Information RP in game.