Server time: 2017-08-21, 16:07

Sign in to follow this  
Law o7

DayzRP in game communities

Law o7    57

DayzRP Trading Companies and  Communities

1.Introduction

Today myself and @Ruan have decided to discuss a matter we feel has been very detrimental to the server in terms of RP and RP potential. Some of you may know about the HoboDepot located in the Stary red barn, but for those that don’t know I’ll give you the basic rundown. Myself and several other Hobo’s gather clothing and basic tools from Stary and display them on the ground all for sale for 1 duct tape per item. We have sold M4’s, AUG’s, and AK’s all for a single roll of duct tape, however our primary good is the clothing we find, and rarely have anything much better than that to offer besides our company (RP). These factors alongside our extremely nice and accommodating nature to our guests has kept us from being robbed or initiated on for nearly a week in one of the most dangerous areas of the map during an extremely dangerous time on the server where with the lorewipe coming up nearly every group dynamic or otherwise is looking for a fight and looking to fuck people up for basically no reason. Contrast this situation to any other known trading group in the past who lasted for 2-3 weeks until they simply give up due to constantly being robbed and killed. This threat has kept people from seeking out a well thought out and long lasting trader RP which we feel has severely held back DayzRP.

2.Trading Companies and Their Benefits

One of the earliest things that should happen in a real apocalypse is groups around the “wasteland” would begin creating small societies and organize into communities designed to combat the apocalypse as well as support other survivors. This would be beneficial to DayzRP as a server because it would create hives of activity around the map that would encourage large scale campfire RP, would improve the ease of bandit groups in finding potential targets for hostile RP, give “lonewolf” survivor type players who don’t have a group to play with a reason to travel around the map and allow them to have a fun time while playing alone, give hero groups opportunities to work as security or otherwise protect customers who may become prey to bandits, and all in all improve the atmosphere of the entire world built around DayzRP.

3.Why Trading Companies Have Failed

Unfortunately trading companies in the past simply haven’t understood what the true goal of running one is (spoiler: It’s the RP). When a group decides to open a store or a trading post what their goal is is to somehow get personal gain in terms of gear and ammo which simply just doesn’t work out as it makes them a target for robbery, espionage, and other such negative aspects of the world of trading. A trading company’s overarching goal has to be to engage in and provide high quality RP over all else. Another failure on the part of the groups themselves is that they try to trade at equal or greater value and have some kind of unnecessarily advanced and confusing trade table when the easiest and in our experience most successful method to go about it is to choose a very mundane, nearly worthless item (I.e Duct Tape, pieces of paper, meat tenderizers etc.) that allows everyone in the game to collect it and doesn’t encourage anyone to rob the group. On the community side of trading company failure is the issue of simply bad hostile RP. Hostile RP’rs see or hear about a trading group and instantly just see it as a target and will constantly initiate on them for no to little valid reason. To them it’s an easy way to engage in bandit activities but in honesty allowing the trading company to thrive is the easiest way to get a steady stream of potential victims as their will be customers coming and going all the time and with the huge variety of characters on the server it’s very likely to find someone who actually gives a valid reason to hold them up.

4.Trading Companies and You

If you’ve read this far you may be wondering what the hell I’m trying to say so I’ll try to sum up some of my points as well as elaborate on others. Essentially the large overarching theme here is that well regulated trading groups would greatly improve DayzRP all around. If you look at groups like New Gorka and Green Mountain Trading Co. they were really strong for short amounts of time but eventually die out for a multitude of the reasons listed, but when they’re fresh they become the hype of the server. This is really disappointing because Trader RP would be a valuable asset to all styles of RP on the server. One of the big things that helped spark this idea for myself personally was when I reviewed the Mentor Program forum post and there was a mentor style for every kind of valid RP with the exception of Trader RP. This however is the fault of a multitude of sources (see point 3).

5.How to Handle Trading Companies Forum-Side

What we propose is that trading groups and communities be treated as their own separate entity among groups and factions and limit the number of them on the map. We feel the optimal amount of communities/companies would be 3-5 to A.) Make sure only the most qualified or highest quality RP’rs run these areas, and B.) avoid oversaturation of these groups to maintain the apocalyptic feel that is such a major part of Dayz and DayzRP’s identity.

6.How to Run a Trading Post Under this Proposed Change

I’ve already mostly detailed this in previous points, however it’ll be more convenient to state the full topic on its own. This point will involve some repetition from previous points.

To run a trading group or community you have to value the RP over the gear you sell and ideally should trade for a meaningless item that has IC meaning to you and/or your group. Creating a currency out of something like this gives value to something that would otherwise be pointless which greatly increases RP potential between individual players and groups. Another valuable asset to running a shop is displaying your items on the ground. This makes it easy for the shopkeepers to monitor the goods as well as being much more convenient to RP out selling the item and RP browsing the item. The group must also either undervalue high tier gear in the vein of M4’s AUG’s and anything else at that level if they intend on openly selling them, or alternatively only sell those kinds of items in an underground or secretive manner.

Spoiler

We would also like to request an audience with staff over teamspeak to potentially discuss this idea in further detail as well hopefully discuss a way that this could integrate best into the server.

Law o7    57

I'd also like to point out that I wrote this whole post about 4 hours ago and had nothing to do with our unfortunate encounter with PAU. I have no OOC or IC hate towards those guys for doing their thing.

Rolle    2456

I don't understand. What is the suggestion, what do you want us to do differently compared to how things are now with settlements?

Ruan    19

@Rolle i think the main idea of this all is to encourage more trader R. We think it is a part of the server that is not taken in consideration. the biggest issue with past iterations of these trading post is that people don't know how to run them. i think a good current solution is to ad another mentor program for traders.

another issue with past trading groups are the scarcity of them on the map, no one wanted to make one because they were scared they will be taken down by large bandit groups. this could be helped by splinting up the meaning of a settlement and a trading post, and or give incentive to trader groups to form. in the first case, splitting the roles of a settlement and a trading post makes it were you don't get the drama of a settlement (this doesn't mean that a trading post cant be paired with the settlement). and for the second case as you said in your post "Make Dayzrp Grate Again" you would like to give incentives to groups that further the RP. as we stated in our post trading groups are great ways to get people interacting.        

Mexi    1035

Trade RP is one of the most boring styles I've come across from people, it's either because they're only asking what I want and what I have and if I want to trade it for something else and they're shite at holding a conversation or the people I've come across are just shite overall.

As for the banditry supposedly "ruining" your experience or something like that, further the RP with said group.. Comply and offer things on a weekly basis so that they don't take your entire stock, find a few more people that have had the same issue with said group and fight back against them, further not only your own RP but others too.. It's an easy concept.

Law o7    57
Posted (edited)

I think you're agreeing with us without realizing it. @Mexi

Edited by Law

Keira    1044
1 hour ago, Mexi said:

Trade RP is one of the most boring styles I've come across from people, it's either because they're only asking what I want and what I have and if I want to trade it for something else and they're shite at holding a conversation or the people I've come across are just shite overall.

As for the banditry supposedly "ruining" your experience or something like that, further the RP with said group.. Comply and offer things on a weekly basis so that they don't take your entire stock, find a few more people that have had the same issue with said group and fight back against them, further not only your own RP but others too.. It's an easy concept.

The Roamers gave pretty good RP but @Stradic has been MIA and the Roamers long archived sadly. @UnReALjay can RP decent trade RP sometimes.

Stradic    264

I ran a trading group for a good few months but we preferred to stay on the move rather than be stationery. When we did setup shop we'd do it in other settlements ran by other groups by making deals such as Zbor or New World Mafia and on occasions would hire Lovec to provide security.