Server time: 2017-10-17, 06:00
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Iso

Interview With a Community Member: Major

Iso    1203

wZjpmw8.png

Today we have decided to interview @Major, a lore master within our community with a long history here. The interview process is designed to promote openness and understanding here through honest questions and answers, to help bring our community closer together. A special thanks goes out to @Majoo for creating the new artwork for the interview team ^_^ 

~ Tell us something unique about yourself -

Spoiler

I have green eyes, which apparently only 2% of people have.

~ Which section in the forums are you most interested in and why? -

Spoiler

My own profile of course. :troll: SA discussion probably because it seems most productive stuff gets put there and that is where stuff is most interesting General Discussion is too, uh....general. 

~ How did you find out about DayZRP? -

Spoiler

I had a guy tell me that I should check it out, he didn't like my more hero playstyle at the time (this was like early 2013) and said I should check it out. I think he was trying to get rid of me, which is understandable.

~ Have you made any friends during your time in this community? -

Spoiler

More than I could ever list here or remember, but if they come back and say "hey I was ___ don't you remember me from ______" I would remember. Many people from Mod left or got banned, so most of the ones who remain I either know or are close with. 

~ What do you feel is missing from our community? -

Spoiler

There was a feeling both from an OOC and IC perspective of community, and I don't mean that to sound corny, priggish, or schoolmarmish. Within the forums it was big enough to feel vibrant and varied, but it wasn't so big that it made you feel tiny and insignificant. New people had more people to mentor them and bring them into the fold and people who had never rped before became awesome at it very quickly. There were still quarrels and OOC beefs and flaming and all that but people didn't try to hop on trends and ride them to extinction like they do nowadays. We used to have a lot of player-organized events but many of them got griefed or didn't go according to plan. 

Within the game it sort of felt like a small town, you sort of knew who the big dogs were and knew where they would hang out. Beyond that it felt like a living breathing place. I remember some of the radio broadcasts people would do, and there would be a news section and music and it felt real. I hope we can try to recreate that. 

~ What are some of your most memorable DayZRP experiences, both IC and OOC? -

Spoiler

I’d say the event series Tomeran did back in mod had to be one of the most memorable things that I had the honor of participating. The CRA-SVR war was epic and exciting. The Mod period was sort of magical, as silly as that sounds. The first days of SA in the beginning of the Outbreak were really cool, as I played as a CDF solider in a unit helping civilians. Very interesting role for the start of an Outbreak. OOCly running the Interior Ministry group and getting to know as many people as I have in my time here has been really neat, even if it is on the internet. You get to talk to a great deal of folks you never would have the chance to speak with otherwise.

~ Do you have a video of your favourite roleplay moment you would like to share with us? -

Spoiler

These briefings were a lot of fun and built anticipation before the action.

~ Do you have a video of your favourite funny moment in game you would like to share with us? -

Spoiler

Something that has really stuck with me, even if it only lasted for the length of a breath in comparison to everything else.

~ If you could meet one roleplay character you have met in game in real life, who would it be and why? -

Spoiler

General Joe Blackwood. OGs will remember.

~ In your opinion, what are the best and worst parts of our community? -

Spoiler

I'd say the best part of this community is the passion its members have. No matter what they are doing with their time here they care a great deal about the groups they do and how they spend their time. People really pour a lot into their rp and interactions. We seem to be conscious of what needs fixing but our biggest problem is how we handle it.

I'd say the worst part is a constant need by everybody to create an other to hang problems on. A group of people, Rolle, staff, this group, that group, people that do this type of rp. I think there are certainly problems with all of these categories from time to time, but people like to blame an other or just take the piss as opposed to sorting something out. People like to think somebody else is going fix the current state of things (rp, forums, conduct, etc). People need to go out and experiment with stuff. It's just a game and not a court of law, and we need to loosen up a bit on certain things.

~ How are you finding things in the community currently? -

Spoiler

Not as bad as people make them out to be. There is immense enthusiasm that hasn’t been seen in years for the wipe, and people have so many unique concepts and ideas that are going to be made even better by .63 whenever it comes out. There are problems that need to be sorted out but making more threads just talking about them and not actually changing how we act and treat each other won’t change it.

~ Is there anything you regret IC or OOC that has happened since you have joined DayZRP (if yes, what and why?) -

Spoiler

I regret being overbearing and self-important back in mod with the group I did. I really isolated a lot of good friends from me. But it did help me to grow and move on and become better for it. ICly not sending a certain radio message that essentially got me knocked down in rank so much I couldn’t do any of the things I wanted to do. Too much IC stuff going OOC.

~ What advice would you give to new members joining our community? -

Spoiler

Go talk to people and don’t be afraid to poke, message, or pm anybody. Go and do that one thing you have always wanted to do and follow your heart till it bleeds. Don’t hesitate to ask “stupid” questions or to go places that seem uncomfortable. Find a group of friends and folks to get to know or build your own. Do what makes you happy.

~ What do you think we, as community members, can do to make the community a better place? -

Spoiler

Stop complaining and do something about it. Don’t forget that we are here to play a game and have fun. We may have differences about how to do that the best but there are constructive ways to do it and others that simply create clutter.

~ What made you want to join staff and has your time in staff changed that motivation or your perspectives on the community? -

Spoiler

I always wanted to be LM, and one of the few things I am good at is writing and I felt it would give me an outlet for that passion while being able to make the game a bit more enjoyable. My motivation has only increased, I am never bored and always have stuff to do and people to talk to. I can actually put the stuff that people have wanted to see for a very long time into action.

~ If you had to choose someone else’s character to be in game, who would it be and why? -

Spoiler

I couldn’t play somebody else’s character. It would feel a bit unnatural, there are plenty of fascinating characters but I couldn’t bring the same finesse to it that they can.

~ Who or what would you say was the biggest influence on your role-play? -

Spoiler

I don’t have a single influence, but I would say that the experiences and encounters I had in Mod developed my rp the most.

~ Do you have a favourite song? - 

Spoiler

I have no one favorite song, but this one is among my favorites. I’ll leave an analysis that someone did below, which is why it is so special to me. 

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-meaning-of-the-song-High-Hopes-The-Divison-Bell-1994-performed-by-Pink-Floyd

~ Do you think any questions could be added to the interview formula and, if so, what and why? -

Spoiler

More questions regarding who people are and what they like to do outside of DayZRP. Their personality and so on.

~ If you could choose one person to KOS and bullshit the logs to make it look like someone else did it, who would you KOS? Who would you blame it on? -

Spoiler

I would KOS Elmo and blame it on Joules.

Thank you for the interview Major, it was interesting to hear your perspectives on both the community and the problems facing it at the moment ^_^ 

Majoo    742

Thank you for the interview Major, twas nice. :) You're not alone who would KOS Elmo xD

Papa Tachanka    42

Good interview. Pal.

PCJames    202

Nice interview 

Major    629

The Pink Floyd purists are going to lynch me...

Idole    184

Was great reading a bit about you was very interesting and the song is catchy I never heard of them but I might start listening to them

Brady    326

My friend has a half green half blue eye... anyway GOOD INTERVIEW!

Spartan    1227

I'd KoS Elmo aswell. 

Nice interview bud ^^ 

Ark    229
Posted (edited)

Nice interview but you're still a scrub.

Edited by Ark

Seiceps the Deceiver    309

Now I know why I like you, girlfriend has green eyes too ;)

Taryn    345

Ooh, this looks fun. 

Also, Green eyes are the shit. I've always wanted green eyes. 

On 7/12/2017 at 0:44 PM, Elmo said:

Go talk to people and don’t be afraid to poke, message, or pm anybody. Go and do that one thing you have always wanted to do and follow your heart till it bleeds. Don’t hesitate to ask “stupid” questions or to go places that seem uncomfortable. Find a group of friends and folks to get to know or build your own. Do what makes you happy.

^ This is fantastic advice. Seriously.