Server time: 2017-10-23, 11:48
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
John

Making a new character? I'll help write your backstory!

Rory    1595

Glad you're doing this bud :) 

Roach    1659

Good on you dude :) I am sure this can help many !

SmartyyZ    156

I am really glad that people are actually trying to help! Keep it up!

Spartan    1240

Good to offer your services. This will especially be usefull for the new members. Have my beanz

HALEZY    96

I'd give you beanz my dude but got none to give! This is great though, I struggle sometimes putting pen to paper and writing my characters story, like I get all these ideas in my head of what I want but when it comes to it I struggle to write it I remember it took me like 4 hours juet to write my backstory to join the server. Could be comming to you for some advice when the lore drops! 

John    271

@Spartan @SmartyyZ @Roach @Phoenix Thanks for the support!

1 minute ago, Kieran_Hales said:

-snip-

Kieran, feel free to send a PM about your ideas!  Might be better to not wait for the lore to come (who knows when that will happen).  It's always easier to tweak a written story than write one from scratch.

HALEZY    96
1 minute ago, Static said:

Sure thing dude! Al drop some your way soon I have a couple of templates pre wrote that I was going to use but may Aswell hold off till the wipe, little timer on the home page says 10 days! Thank you.

Idole    185

This is really good of you to be doing this as it will help a lot of the newer members with their backstories. I like writing in my spare time and im looking to do more of that soon. Might even hit you up on that offer for critiques to improve my story nothing like a second pair of eyes to spot things.

Para    313

Good to see a thread like this pop up! A great idea and way to contribute to the community and hopefully improve the quality of RP!

Poppy    378

This is a really nice thing to do. I love to come up with my own story, however I find it boring to write it, so most of the time I don't, or I just dumb down the story. It is a great idea, for many different people. Nice one.

Glitch    15

I like this, nice! Might hit you up for some criticism and ideas.

Galaxy    574
2 hours ago, Static said:

Hey y'all, so with the lore-wipe coming I know a ton of people are probably making new characters.  Makes sense.  I also know there's a ton of you out there who are one of the following types of people:

1. New member of the community - First, welcome!  I know that a lot of you, like me when I started, will probably have trouble figuring out how to create a backstory for your character that is believable, genuine, and fits well with the lore.  Let me help with that!  Nothing makes a character feel truly three dimensional that a well-rounded backstory.  You tell me what you are looking for in your character, and I'll write up proposals or edit/critique your draft backstory!
  2. Non-English speakers - A lot of you have a great command of spoken English, and it's impressive!  But writing English well can challenge even fluent speakers.  If you feel like you could benefit from a good writer taking a look and and sharpening your backstory, shoot me a PM!  I'm always willing to fix grammar, spelling, or translation issues.  Plus, it can help to get another person's perspective on your character, even if you have a firm grasp on the lore and how to RP!
  3. Too busy to write one - Everyone has a life, including me.  Some people simply don't want to waste 15 minutes to a half hour writing up even a foundation-level backstory.  And that's okay, but it always helps to have your character page look complete!  If you are someone that is into RP but not the website, or someone who simply doesn't want to take the time to create a page for their character, or whatever the case may be, let me help you make a character page you can be proud of!
  4. Experienced and looking for critique - Maybe you're like me, a good writer that likes to make detailed character backstories.  If that's the case, it never hurts to get someone to take a second or third pass at it for grammar or lore issues!

Why am I doing this?  Well, I always liked to write a lot when I was younger, but haven't been able to find an excuse until now!  It will help you develop your characters into well-rounded individuals, and it will give me an outlet to write and edit work.  Seems like a win-win, no?

Feel free to PM me @Static or comment down below if you're interested.

Really good idea, if you ever get to many people hit me up and i'll give you a hand!! Something positive then just community problems threads...

Majoo    742

Great idea that you would do this for community members. I believe many people will appretiate your help +1 man

John    271
6 minutes ago, Galaxy said:

Really good idea, if you ever get to many people hit me up and i'll give you a hand!! Something positive then just community problems threads...

I'll be sure to tag you in if it becomes too much xD

Joffrey    894
Posted (edited)

I will play any character you write a backstory for to my best ability. I don't even want input on it, just pm it to me and I'll play it.

-Edit, You made a good character, thanks!

Edited by Joffrey

Papa Tachanka    48

This community needs more people like you @Static glad the LM's don't have to shoulder all this kinda thing. You ever need help feel free come my way. 

Keep it up!

Crim    119

Thanks so much @Static!  Within an hour this guy has made me a fully fleshed out backstory!  What a guy, a true credit to the community.

John    271

No worries @Crim, always happy to help!

4 hours ago, Chief said:

This community needs more people like you @Static glad the LM's don't have to shoulder all this kinda thing. You ever need help feel free come my way. 

Keep it up!

Thanks Chief!  Appreciate the kind words, I'll let you know how it goes.

DeepIndia    10

this is super helpful.  I have a basic concept, and play style planned, with specific aspects related to my characters backstory, but I am not to familiar with the upcoming lore and what not to best make it fit within the already established lore.

When I have the character built Ill pass it your way. Much appreciated man.

Weyryu A Skingmi    8

I can't agree with this practice.

Assissting with and editing backstories I can appreciate; having somebody well versed in the lore and equipped with a decent command of the English language would absolutely be of use to somebody for whom english is a second language, or a person with dyslexia could get editing advice. But writing a backstory is a personally involving process. Injecting part of yourself into a character, building a history for them, deciding their traits and faults should be the burden of the one playing it.

That's just my two cents though, y'all do you.

DeepIndia    10

so no one should ask for help from someone who might be better equipped to give them guidance? 

Weyryu A Skingmi    8

Not at all, I'm saying no one should have a backstory written for them. I've helped/edited a few backstories for friends, but when one of them asked me to write one for them I called him a (and I'm paraphrasing) "lazy kiddie diddler".

Naz    19
1 hour ago, Weyryu A Skingmi said:

-snip-

I certainly see where you're coming from, but imo this can be helpful for some roleplayers who cannot adequately put into words what they wish to convey in their character's backgrounds. At the very least, it's a boon to these members, as I think that having help establishing a detailed basis for their characters could improve their roleplay.