Server time: 2017-10-19, 14:53
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
InnKinn

Overlooked Characters

InnKinn    28

Alright so this has happened to me a few times.

A number of times when I've encountered hostile RP I've found that although the aggressors generally do roleplay very well and I try and give my best RP back, does anyone else feel like all the effort put into your character is kind of overlooked?

I know that might not have made sense so say for instance I get taken hostage, here I know RP is limited but I still do what I can (try and negotiate, bargain, sometimes beg idk) and you're replied with (generally) "shut up or you die"

Now here I know that this isn't exactly the time to dish out your life story, but something that I discovered is that in a majority of hostile RP, little effort is made to actually 'get to know' the character. It doesn't matter if you're a man, woman, child/whatever you'll still be told to shut up either way.

Now what are people's thoughts? Do you prefer it this way? Or do you wish you had more of a chance to use your character's characteristics more?

Asking only because I'm planning on making my first "bad guy" character and want to make sure everyone I come across enjoys the RP.

WilliAM    431

If im taking someone hostage the last thing I would give a fuck about is the persons personal life, unless its what my group focuses on.

Example, when I was apart of Sine nomine our job was to get personal information from people.

Boston    772

There are different ways people can approach the situation. Like @Will stated, Sine Nomine was a group dedicated to identity theft, using the chaos as their distraction. it really just depends who does what. Personally, if someone mentions to me that they are an American, or even with the United States Armed Forces, I question them about it and if they were involved with the Chernarussian Civil War (which they probably were).

John    270

When I RP, regardless of style, I always go with the improv mentality, "Yes, and..."  Now, that's not to say that I will automatically be a yes man that follows what people say.  Rather, "yes, and..." represents an intention to build upon what was offered from the person that interacted with you.  A lot of times, people who do Hostile RP and hostage-taking simply shut off from their hostage (as you've described).  If I were hostage-taking, I would interact with you something like this:

You: *Negotiate*
Me: What are you a diplomat? Fuck off and get on the ground.
You: *give background info*
Me: Oh really, a businessman?  Well if you like your thumbs, maybe you tell me where your hoard is, or who your business partners are.
You: *refuse*
Me: Ah, shame... thumbs are the hardest to cut.
You: *beg*
Me: Quit your whining, I was just kidding.  Now shut up or you'll lose a more precious appendage than a thumb.

Pretty simple concept.  Take what you give me, provide interesting RP, and drive it the way I want because I'm in power.  As a hostage, I try to give the takers a snag to deal with, or an interesting twist to shake things up, but I understand that the RP is in their hands.  I really recommend people learn more about improv or even take an improv class.  It goes a long way to improve your RP.

Tom    156
Posted (edited)

The thing is most of the time when you're taken as a hostage your hostage takers are probably not going to care too much about your backstory and are going to be interested in only one thing - either a piece of clothing you're wearing, an armband, UN helmets/berets,or if you mentioned your character is a russian to someone who is Ukrainian etc (which is ultimately the reason that they took you hostage).

What people should focus more on in hostage situations is not how they can spread the word of their glorious character and the amazing travels they've been on to 5 really angry armed dudes, but rather how their character would adapt to the situation they have found themselves in, and then perhaps later when they're out of the hostile situation with people who don't have them hostage then they can attempt to advance and share their story.

Again if someone is just telling a hostage to shut up because they don't feel like hearing them out and don't have a legitimate reason for it except trying to strip them in silence it is bad rp and you can always report the situation or attempt to talk to the person about it.

Edit: Also if you're being interrogated and you're just ignoring the questions being asked and trying to focus on your backstory - that's just selfish as you're breaking up the roleplay situation your hostage takers are trying to present to you.

Edited by Tomp

Glitch    15

I think when someone takes someone hostage they have one thing in mind. That one thing could be to get to know the person but usually it's gear or evil fun. Now one time I was held at gunpoint and brought into a room because the guy wanted to be friends haha, the RP was actually quite fun and it was one of those situations where you kinda get scared and fear takes over and you don't think it all through and soon you have someone at gunpoint you wanted to be friends with.

Anyway there is usually a focus and it isn't likely it is to negotiate or get to know you. The effort put into characters does indeed get overlooked. Not only in-game though. Most people on DayZRP create a character on the character page and pour out their imagination into the backstory. Some people train their voice for a decent amount of time so they feel they have it down. Some people find ways to connect with the personality of their character, people literally master their character to provide the best RP they can. Yet it can be unappreciated and overlooked because everyone is doing it so they aren't looking around and appreciating the hard work EVERYONE does. It's also hard to know whether or not you are being overlooked in RP because they can't really tell you in-game that your RP is really good, on the website they sure can though! If they really enjoyed it hopefully they will let you know, if the thought didn't even cross them then again it can sometimes be a mindset where they could care less about anything you have to say and just want to rob you and move on. It's complicated and dynamic, it's RP.

Depends on the roleplay, my guy. I'll generally always care about your affiliations but I couldn't care less who you share a tent with or who you're in a relationship with.

I led that one dank group called Sine Nomine. That's all we cared about. We would just beat the shit out of people until they gave us as much personal information as possible but generally speaking, it's not important.

Idole    184

I have to agree if someone is taking you hostage the last thing they want is a life story. But I have also seen were I try and rp I get "shut the fuck up or your getting a bullet" and I don't believe that's right it halts rp sets the hostage up to be killed if you even so much as mutter a word because lets face it people get trigger happy if you don't obey their words and I believe that's bad rp because if you are told to shut up their isn't much you can do rp wise. Most people don't care about the character background of the hostage they want the stuff and get out before the hostages friends turn up or maybe that's just my experiences.

Mind you I have good hostage experiences but a few rotten ones to I vaguely remember one time when I wasn't recording I had a 30 sec robbery,  where I am told to put my hands up their friends strip of every thing and before I know it they are gone with no interaction no words except me asking "Why are you doing this my friends are coming you know that right" replied with " Cause we want too" should have reported it but had no evidence so let it go pretty sure they combat logged to cause my friends arrived and they vanished right in front of them.  Was told to report it but I think at that point I just didn't care plus I didn't have recorded evidence.

So I understand peoples frustration if you get good rp that's great if you get great hostile rp that's a bonus but you get those that leave a sour taste in your mouth and that's the ones people will remember the most.

Spartan    1230

You won't be able to tell your whole life story while being a hostage. Characters just don't care. You have a better chance to tell your background story if you befriend someone ingame and actually get close to eachother so you share stuff. This is were my background stories are told but always in small segments. 

"shut up or die" isn't the hostile RP that we want to see on the servers. RP should come from the hostage and from the hostage taker. If the hostage taker wants to say something and the hostage keeps talking through it of course you can threaten them to shut up as long as both sides get to RP.

Poppy    378

Just as Spartan said, roleplay should be a 2-way street. As a hostage taker, you should, imo, let the hostage speak, maybe they ask why you do this and so on... The only time i do not let hostages speak, it is if all they do is talk shit,

I i am a hostage, I try to make my emotions flow. I usually cry, ask what I did wrong and what I can do to make it out ok. I usually try to figure out the mindset of the hostage taker and get into their heads. If they tell me to shut up, I usually just break down and cry instead, so it doesnt become akwardly silent,

Pepe Jones    76

Of course "shut up or die" kills all the RP but like @William said you shouldn't be pouring your heart out to your hostage taker and expect them to care or listen. Most people IG and IRL wouldn't really put up with that. It's still doable just don't be insufferable when doing it.

matusmanis    21

If you get told to shut up or die.. well thats bad rp. If your hostage takers are talking to you it isnt time to tell your livestory either. Thats what others have told already. You can however leave hints about it. For example as something thats going on reminds you of something or that someone looks like someone you know... make it short tho (a single sentence) and there is a chance your hostage takers notice that and ask you further.

Since you want to do a bad guy, one advice. Do try to keep an ear out for these hints. Its true that as bad guy with a gun to anothers head you lead the rp, hostages however can influence it too!

Faith    730

Still waiting to have my mouth duct taped in all honestly. A hostile action I never witnessed nor experienced. 

Nah, back in the good old days of June 2015 it would be talk shit get hit (like fighting it out and if the hostage won he'd still get his ass kicked for humiliating the hostage takers). Now it's shut up or you'll die, drop backpack vest and weapons. Give me your radio. Powergames taking a radio off of you if you don't have one. Generic stupid questions constantly asked and repeated and when answering them you get told to shut up or die. Or the RP is stale. Or you're initiated on when you're about to log off so you can't give full potential RP. :/ 

-Chow-    35

At the end of the day, everyone is here to progress their RP. Not yours. No natter what you may do or how important you are to the story, the end game for everyone is to say they pushed through it all and survived, while being so distant do the actual point of serious RP. This is a mentality I think should be broken, or at least people should try to break. Bandit RP needs to step up. The factors of realistic goals  and emotions need to be reached rather then just being an unemotional psycho. 

And I know there are amazing people here who have great RP experience and great characters, but I believe they are outnumbered by the mediocre, and those are the people that will just stick you up and rob you with little to no RP.