Jump to content
Server time: 2017-08-18, 01:30

Sign in to follow this  
Static

RP when the infection is fresh

Recommended Posts

Cid    332

Tensions should be high come the lore wipe, though not for the reasons why tension is high in certain situations now.  People should be acting completely on caution, raising their weapons and telling people not to get close to them at first because quite frankly, they have no fucking idea what is going on.  The tension should only last for a few moments before realization kicks in and realize you just found someone to help you through this situation.

We also should have people roleplaying desperation, losing their minds (if their character tends to be completely weak minded), and stronger forces banding together to fight the good fight: the infected.  Banditry should come down to desperation - matters of food and lack of ammo as well as confusion to the situation at hand.  What we have now is more people bullying those seen as weaker and those looking to make a name for themselves in the new wasteland.  We won't/shouldn't see that kind of stuff seeing as more likely than not, people will be clinging and fighting for their humanity for the first few months compared to completely throwing it away.

I'm excited for the lore wipe, I just hope people are willing to adept to the changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spartan    989

As much as I hope to see this happen, I doubt that it actually will. I hope i will be proven wrong but I think that after the LW it might be diffrent for 2 weeks but then everything goes back to normal..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jade    176

Hopefully when lore wipe comes people won't gun each other down right away for the reason of "he initiated on me" if someone points a gun at them. I'm all for the high tensions that should come with the beginnings of the outbreak. So fingers crossed it won't be a common occurrence, however, still be cautious of it if you plan on following that RP greeting ;)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saradomin    344

I hope this is the case. It would increase the feel of realism, and also the feel of it being an apocolypse. Being in the start, you should be very, very careful of who you get close to.

Lets hope the lorewipe helps us getting back to where we belong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Majoo    642
18 minutes ago, Spartan said:

As much as I hope to see this happen, I doubt that it actually will. I hope i will be proven wrong but I think that after the LW it might be diffrent for 2 weeks but then everything goes back to normal..

Pretty much this ^^

I would love to see some change in the current RP style after the lore wipe to something new, something more interesting and better. 

16 minutes ago, Jade said:

people won't gun each other down right away for the reason of "he initiated on me" if someone points a gun at them.

Having tense situations and all that I'm down for I'd like to see that as well but as the quote above I pretty much expect that but I REALLY HOPE it won't be the case.
In general I'm really looking forward to the lore wipe and all the changes it can possibly bring to us not only in terms of lore but also in the whole RP. We can just hope for the best but even that is not enough, if we want something to change we all need to participate in the change itself and do out best to make it happen if we really want it. Waiting and not doing anything won't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I am hoping for some sorts of public announcement where the LMs talk about the Wipe, and alongside that, items that should be taken into consideration by players.

I feel like RDM will happen due to this "pointing-gun-at" thing, and it's inevitable, as it has happened in the last months, but I would very much appreciate if players were encouraged to play slightly more passive for once in their lives, and stop with the whole "Initiation" thing. Of course, it is a rule, but it shouldn't be taken as one, for real.

Think about it in real life. If you have someone pointing a gun at you, and you have a gun pointed at him, would you actually shoot? Maybe he would shoot your first? Maybe you both would kill each other? What if someone misses? Are you sure you want to kill to move on?

I feel like the Initiation rule is just a place-holder so things don't get out of control, and it truly should be, but people just take it way to seriously, and enforce their kill rights because someone simply pointed a gun at them. I've been through it multiple times, and one of these happened just 2 days ago. Running trough Novy in the middle of the night, and someone points a gun at me, thinking I was an infected. He keeps it pointed until he gets closer, and I show him that I'm a human. He puts down his weapon, and we have a nice chat. However, I'm sure that if I were in one of those big groups with itchy-trigger fingers, my team-mates would have already shot the man down.

It's understandable now-a-days, since people are already way too stressed, and have been through enough shit, so they don't have time to deal with small problems like a man who can't see very well in the dark, so it's better to get him straight into the grave, but honestly, is it fun in any way?

Let's try not to make this new lore into a PvP fest after a few weeks by encouraging Fear RP and other types of passive RP, since it's what normal human persons would do. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isocade    90

I'm glad you made this post, @Static. Meant I didn't have to. Individuals who share the same opinions you do are a key to the success of this community and the progression of roleplay quality. Keep it up. Maybe even write an official guide.

I'll address your points in the beginning of the post since you said you wanted to hear people's thoughts.

1 hour ago, Static said:

Of course, interactions vary slightly, depending on whether one group is a bandit or if they know each other.  But most random encounters are pretty... dry.  I think it may have to do with a number of factors, and wanted to hear your thoughts:

  1. Most people have their cliques at this point.  Very few players in the community roll around by themselves unless they're brand new and are simply trying to find their groups or RP only with their groups.  This is indicative of a community problem, and isn't something I think we can really address other than to say, "hey, maybe we should be more patient and open to RP from others."  That seems fair to say, no?  Don't want this community to be super cliquey.
  2. (The real issue, I think) Everyone has been RP'ing as if the apocalypse has been going on for about three years now.  Most survivors at this point are indifferent to the problems of others, and are usually independent enough that that don't need help.

 

Point 1: This is true. I'm one of those people who rolls by themselves. People invite me to groups all the time but I've had with groups ended up leaving a bad taste in my mouth since a majority of groups are merely a collection of friends instead of a collection of roleplayers. This leads to subtle changes in behavior, character interaction, and favoritism. Keyword being a majority. I know it's rude and negative to generalize, but it's from my personal experience and observations. It may have changed as of late, but if so, I'm unaware of that. Certainly someone will reply saying something similar to "my group doesn't do that" or "you've just run with the wrong people". While it may be true, it doesn't trivialize or devalue the original issue at hand.

tl;dr Groups should not necessarily be the go-to for players.

Point 2: Lore wipe will hopefully fix this. I've seen some players say toward the beginning of the idea of a lore wipe that they'll continue roleplaying as they have been and not change because the lore changed. Hopefully the loremasters figure out a way around this. Refusing to improve your roleplay or change things up is a toxic and negative way of approaching roleplay. I like the ideas you present, and so might others- But there's always going to be people who go against it and are successful or get away with it, then others will see it as a way to roleplay effectively without putting in as much effort, then choose it over the former. While it may be easier to roleplay without caring about the lore, it won't help anyone actually roleplay.

tl;dr People will take shortcuts to lazy roleplay even after lore wipe, it's important we try to suppress that or even punish those who do it (if it becomes a problem on a wide enough scale).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idole    176
Posted (edited)

Hopefully when the LW comes people won't get trigger happy. It would add a bit a realism just think if this happened you would be cautious either telling them to stay back or asking them at gun point if they are bitten. Using walking dead as an example that was how Rick first met Morgan and his son at gun point who were scared that he was bitten and kill them but they eventually trusted him. People won't trust each other straight off the bat it will happen slowly. It would improve roleplay earning each others trust and do that with whomever you met not just the same person you usually hang out with who you have previously arranged to met at a certain location.

People need to see this as a fresh start for new relationships and new experiences. If people are refusing to change even slightly or not willing to give this a try then I'm sorry but I believe that's selfish and negative and in this new LW people will refuse to even try and it's a shame as they aren't cooperating with the rest of the community who do want to make this work. I also know that if someone was to even point a gun at someone they automatically gain kill rights people need to remember even though they have kill rights it doesn't necessarily mean they should use them.

I sincerely hope people take the chance to change up a bit but I know people have formed cliches and will not want to drift away from them.  I am really excited for this lore wipe and believe it will be fun if people just take the chance. I really hope I am wrong because I am looking forward to this LW and the challenging and fun situations that could arise.

Edited by idole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PCJames    152

Even now I try to stay away from the friendly neighbor rp. I do believe that the issue you've highlighted abive will be resolved, but only time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static    227

 

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

As much as I hope to see this happen, I doubt that it actually will. I hope i will be proven wrong but I think that after the LW it might be diffrent for 2 weeks but then everything goes back to normal..

2 hours ago, Majoo said:

Pretty much this ^^

I would love to see some change in the current RP style after the lore wipe to something new, something more interesting and better. 

Having tense situations and all that I'm down for I'd like to see that as well but as the quote above I pretty much expect that but I REALLY HOPE it won't be the case.
In general I'm really looking forward to the lore wipe and all the changes it can possibly bring to us not only in terms of lore but also in the whole RP. We can just hope for the best but even that is not enough, if we want something to change we all need to participate in the change itself and do out best to make it happen if we really want it. Waiting and not doing anything won't help.

I would like to put some faith in the community.  If this does happen I'd probably just continue to RP how I am planning to, though.  Lazy RP'ers are the worst part of this community tbh.

2 hours ago, Jade said:

Hopefully when lore wipe comes people won't gun each other down right away for the reason of "he initiated on me" if someone points a gun at them. I'm all for the high tensions that should come with the beginnings of the outbreak. So fingers crossed it won't be a common occurrence, however, still be cautious of it if you plan on following that RP greeting ;)  

2 hours ago, Rogério SkyLab said:

Honestly, I am hoping for some sorts of public announcement where the LMs talk about the Wipe, and alongside that, items that should be taken into consideration by players.

I feel like RDM will happen due to this "pointing-gun-at" thing, and it's inevitable, as it has happened in the last months, but I would very much appreciate if players were encouraged to play slightly more passive for once in their lives, and stop with the whole "Initiation" thing. Of course, it is a rule, but it shouldn't be taken as one, for real.

Think about it in real life. If you have someone pointing a gun at you, and you have a gun pointed at him, would you actually shoot? Maybe he would shoot your first? Maybe you both would kill each other? What if someone misses? Are you sure you want to kill to move on?

I feel like the Initiation rule is just a place-holder so things don't get out of control, and it truly should be, but people just take it way to seriously, and enforce their kill rights because someone simply pointed a gun at them. -snip-

9 minutes ago, idole said:

Hopefully when the LW comes people won't get trigger happy. It would add a bit a realism just think if this happened you would be cautious either telling them to stay back or asking them at gun point if they are bitten. Using walking dead as an example that was how Rick first met Morgan and his son at gun point who were scared that he was bitten and kill them but they eventually trusted him. People won't trust each other straight off the bat it will happen slowly. It would improve roleplay earning each others trust and do that with whomever you met not just the same person you usually hang out with who you have previously arranged to met at a certain location. -snip-

If people RDM or KOS because they technically have kill rights due to the rules, but not the roleplay, I'm going to be putting up a hell of a lot of Ruleplay over Roleplay reports.  Lazy RP'ers man...

1 hour ago, isocade said:

I'm glad you made this post, @Static. Meant I didn't have to. Individuals who share the same opinions you do are a key to the success of this community and the progression of roleplay quality. Keep it up. Maybe even write an official guide.

I'll address your points in the beginning of the post since you said you wanted to hear people's thoughts.

Point 1: -snip-

tl;dr Groups should not necessarily be the go-to for players.

Point 2: -snip-

tl;dr People will take shortcuts to lazy roleplay even after lore wipe, it's important we try to suppress that or even punish those who do it (if it becomes a problem on a wide enough scale).

I may do just that!  And to an extent, I agree with your points.  I still think groups are important, but that groups should not almost exclusively emphasize internal RP.  I think we should definitely throw up reports for Bad RP or Ruleplay over Roleplay, but that we should give them mandatory Mentoring instead of bans or points for first offenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenix    1043

Nothing's gonna change.  Either after LW nor anytime in the future. 

Hardly anyone will try a different style of RP. Most campfire RP'ers will remain far from any kind of civilization, staying up north or wherever in their personal little bubble, rping with only their closest friends and not going to the triangle or any populated area to receive RP from others.

I've been in a group that was heavily hidden away in their own bubble and have experienced the mindsets when it comes to hostile RP or the triangle in general and I can tell you that no matter what the LW brings, it's not going to change their mindset. 

I enjoyed that Group for a little bit until I got super bored of talking to the same few people everyday, not moving to a place more populated or actually hardly seeing other faces and I hated the whining that happened when someone found our camp and people immediately called metagaming. 

But Whatever floates everyones boat I guess. For all I care those people can do what they want, I just feel sorry for those that want to actively meet new people but have trouble finding them when everyone is hiding away in their personal bubble of cliques, not allowing to be found by anyone. 

I see what you mean with conversations and I myself try to bring a different feeling to meeting someone new thst doesnt start with "do you need anything" or whatever.

If people want different conversations, the best mindset is to start the conversation yourself with sonething unique or creative and not wait for the other person to start it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zero    276
5 hours ago, Cid said:

Tensions should be high come the lore wipe, though not for the reasons why tension is high in certain situations now.  People should be acting completely on caution, raising their weapons and telling people not to get close to them at first because quite frankly, they have no fucking idea what is going on.  The tension should only last for a few moments before realization kicks in and realize you just found someone to help you through this situation.

We also should have people roleplaying desperation, losing their minds (if their character tends to be completely weak minded), and stronger forces banding together to fight the good fight: the infected.  Banditry should come down to desperation - matters of food and lack of ammo as well as confusion to the situation at hand.  What we have now is more people bullying those seen as weaker and those looking to make a name for themselves in the new wasteland.  We won't/shouldn't see that kind of stuff seeing as more likely than not, people will be clinging and fighting for their humanity for the first few months compared to completely throwing it away.

I'm excited for the lore wipe, I just hope people are willing to adept to the changes.

There are people that firmly believe killing someone is fine if they begin pointing a gun and telling someone to take a step back. I don't agree with this sentiment but I may adopt it seeing as everyone is probably going to continue being trigger happy. Caution perhaps, but I am going to be staying away from the RP I enjoy because I don't want to be gatted because my character doesn't know if you're infected or not. 

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

Nothing's gonna change.  Either after LW nor anytime in the future. 

Hardly anyone will try a different style of RP. Most campfire RP'ers will remain far from any kind of civilization, staying up north or wherever in their personal little bubble, rping with only their closest friends and not going to the triangle or any populated area to receive RP from others.

I've been in a group that was heavily hidden away in their own bubble and have experienced the mindsets when it comes to hostile RP or the triangle in general and I can tell you that no matter what the LW brings, it's not going to change their mindset. 

I enjoyed that Group for a little bit until I got super bored of talking to the same few people everyday, not moving to a place more populated or actually hardly seeing other faces and I hated the whining that happened when someone found our camp and people immediately called metagaming. 

But Whatever floates everyones boat I guess. For all I care those people can do what they want, I just feel sorry for those that want to actively meet new people but have trouble finding them when everyone is hiding away in their personal bubble of cliques, not allowing to be found by anyone. 

I see what you mean with conversations and I myself try to bring a different feeling to meeting someone new thst doesnt start with "do you need anything" or whatever.

If people want different conversations, the best mindset is to start the conversation yourself with sonething unique or creative and not wait for the other person to start it.

 

 I try to have a mixture of both styles, hostile and survivor. With that being said, there is a reason people avoid the triangle, especially as of lately. The bar on hostile RP has been dropped significantly and no one wants to deal with the same RP over and over. Can you really blame them? As for the statement of feeling sorry for people trying to find others I do as well, but perhaps for the opposite reason. Everyone and their god damn mother is initiating on anything that moves at the moment so I feel sorry for anyone wanting to try and so much as step a foot inside the triangle looking for someone to RP or become friends with. As soon as they do their swarmed by killer bees, they're taken and then never heard of again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Naz    20
5 minutes ago, Zero said:

There are people that firmly believe killing someone is fine if they begin pointing a gun and telling someone to take a step back. I don't agree with this sentiment but I may adopt it seeing as everyone is probably going to continue being trigger happy.

Agreed. I simply can't see that trend going well no matter how much I'd like to see the community embrace such a sentiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zero    276
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Naz said:

-Snip-

I understand why people do it, due to the unknown factor of what the person might actually do. But most of the time you can read the person as to what their intentions are, but I think people fail to see that. There are other forms of hostile role-play besides initiating on everyone and calling them slurs. It just seems we've lost the art form of it or something.

Edited by Zero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HALEZY    84
17 hours ago, idole said:

Hopefully when the LW comes people won't get trigger happy. It would add a bit a realism just think if this happened you would be cautious either telling them to stay back or asking them at gun point if they are bitten. Using walking dead as an example that was how Rick first met Morgan and his son at gun point who were scared that he was bitten and kill them but they eventually trusted him. People won't trust each other straight off the bat it will happen slowly. It would improve roleplay earning each others trust and do that with whomever you met not just the same person you usually hang out with who you have previously arranged to met at a certain location.

People need to see this as a fresh start for new relationships and new experiences. If people are refusing to change even slightly or not willing to give this a try then I'm sorry but I believe that's selfish and negative and in this new LW people will refuse to even try and it's a shame as they aren't cooperating with the rest of the community who do want to make this work. I also know that if someone was to even point a gun at someone they automatically gain kill rights people need to remember even though they have kill rights it doesn't necessarily mean they should use them.

I sincerely hope people take the chance to change up a bit but I know people have formed cliches and will not want to drift away from them.  I am really excited for this lore wipe and believe it will be fun if people just take the chance. I really hope I am wrong because I am looking forward to this LW and the challenging and fun situations that could arise.

This! I can't wait for the lore whipe, work took over my life abit for thr past few weeks so havnt been on alot, I'm looking forward to the change and starting fresh and meeting new people I got a bit sick of the same old same old, really looking forward to this safe place/ trading post if it happens thumbs up to the lore whipe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glitch    15

There should always be more tension. Early in the apocalypse no one knows what to do or what's going on, or who they can trust. Later in the apocalypse people may have an idea and gained survival skills but you should be less trusting because now people are MORE dangerous and crazier. There are many factors that play a part. The amount of people you are with vs how many you approach. Whether or not they looked dangerous etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Major    405

Yeah funny that when I try and get involved in the state of RP people tell me that I am just a LM and have no business sticking my nose in other people's rp. As if I am not a community member and am not allowed to care or attempt to try and remedy the state of things. I'll just say that the team has some plans for how to link the player base to the Lore other than just whitelisting, groups, and events. Connecting people to how things are to generate some new rp and interactions, hostile and otherwise. 

My 2C. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static    227

@Major I can't imagine people saying "you're just an LM" when the Lore team has been working for months to revitalize this community.  Those that say so deserve to need to re-whitelist, because clearly they don't understand the role an LM should play.  If lore isn't the most important part of RP, especially in the early stages, then the purpose of this Community is lost to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Major    405
34 minutes ago, Static said:

@Major I can't imagine people saying "you're just an LM" when the Lore team has been working for months to revitalize this community.  Those that say so deserve to need to re-whitelist, because clearly they don't understand the role an LM should play.  If lore isn't the most important part of RP, especially in the early stages, then the purpose of this Community is lost to me.

Yeah I'm am not going to dictate how people do what they do but as a member of this community I have every right to use my position to help to try and improve things where I can. I am open to all perspectives, I can't go and say oh well "these people are right" or "they are". Of course I am referring to the peaceful rper and the pvper or hostile mindset or paradigm. Many people from all different perspectives that oppose one another have really good points and then there is the bias everybody has. I'd rather take the good and meet in the middle. 

I do hope the rp changes after wipe but we have to change the way we play and interact. Don't make a thread, go in-game. Nobody is going to do it for us. On a separate note...

We need to quit this pearl-clutching, Victorian smelling salt, couch fainting melodramatic attitude we bring to stuff.  Everybody finds a thread, pops their fucking popcorn, puts on their Stephen Colbert glasses and just hurls salt or clings to what they perceive as their "side". It's boring and childish.

d16a570173.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 9:24 PM, Jade said:

Hopefully when lore wipe comes people won't gun each other down right away for the reason of "he initiated on me" if someone points a gun at them.

Nobody is going to take kindly to somebody aiming a gun at them. Ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static    227

Most people won't think "oh he briefly pointed a gun at me when I surprised him. Better kill him first chance I get."

2 minutes ago, TheProxJack said:

Nobody is going to take kindly to somebody aiming a gun at them. Ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Static said:

Most people won't think "oh he briefly pointed a gun at me when I surprised him. Better kill him first chance I get."

Depends what you say. If you say "Who are you" while pointing a gun at me then thats fair enough.

Saying "Don't raise your gun or move or I'll kill you" is a completely different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static    227
1 minute ago, TheProxJack said:

Depends what you say. If you say "Who are you" while pointing a gun at me then thats fair enough.

Saying "Don't raise your gun or move or I'll kill you" is a completely different story.

Well I don't know what the open carry laws are in Chernarus, but at the start of an infectious outbreak I'd hope to not see many people running around with firearms unless they're meant to.  That said, I hope people aren't going to be that aggressive at the start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pussy    311

The amount of tension is what I'm so excited for! People should be acting on edge, and cautious of everything and everyone. It also could be an interesting chance to make new allies that you maybe would have never even considered teaming up with before the wipe. 

I know that you'll still likely run into people who are playing all cocky and not phased by the apocalypse, but I know that I don't speak for only myself when I say that I'm going to take advantage of the terror and tension with my own characters.

All in all, I'm really fucking excited. I think that for a lot of people, this is what the server needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×