Server time: 2017-10-18, 09:23
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
Joules

Duolingo Appreciation Thread

Joules    274

owl-happy@2x.png

So, I've been using Duolingo off and on for the last two years or so, without too much personal success. I have, however, been able to convince @Major to begin learning Russian on duolingo.

For those of you who do not know, Duolingo is a free language learning program that can be used as an application on your phone as well as your browser. Their languages available at this exact moment for English speakers are

Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Swedish, Irish, Turkish, Danish, Norwegian Bokmal, Polish, Hebrew, Esperanto, Vietnamese, Ukrainian, Greek, Welsh, Hungarian, Swahili,and Romanian.

Czech is VERY close to coming out and I will be spending some quality time with Duolingo to try and learn it.

www.duolingo.com

So yeah, this is a Duolingo thread. Tells us about your interesting translations and what languages you have currently listed on your account as being learned. I'm currently "learning" Vietnamese, Turkish, German, Norwegian, and Swahili (which is surprisingly an easy language).

Major    630

Had to settle for Russian cause' Czech is a way off (by a month) or so. Started getting really good and both the pronunciation and the Cryllic. You can go into your phone's language settings and download and Russian keyboard. For Android you just slide to the left on the space bar to switch to cryllic. It starts small and builds up from there, but eventually you will start to not even think about it until after you got it right. Very helpful for reading signs and stuff.

PCJames    202

I've taken 4 years of French and I will taking my fifth this fall. I'll be sure to check this app out. 

Major    630
4 minutes ago, PCJames said:

I've taken 4 years of French and I will taking my fifth this fall. I'll be sure to check this app out. 

You speak the language of surrender!?!?

Kidding. How well can you speak it?

PCJames    202
12 minutes ago, Major said:

You speak the language of surrender!?!?

Kidding. How well can you speak it?

According to Duolingo I am 30% fluent. 

Major    630
6 hours ago, Rolle said:

I wish they had Japanese.

They do.

a32fc0e85e.jpg

Joules    274
6 minutes ago, Major said:

-snip-

*Raises eyebrow* Its not on the PC. Its still hatching (pre-alpha)...

Maybe its on the phone?

Faith    727

I saw swahili! I learnt some when I went to Kenya.

Jambo, Jambo bwana. Habari ghana hatsuri sana. Wageni habori bishwa, kenya yetu hakuna matata!

Major    630
1 minute ago, Mercy said:

I saw swahili! I learnt some when I went to Kenya.

Jambo, Jambo bwana. Habari ghana hatsuri sana. Wageni habori bishwa, kenya yetu hakuna matata!

I have heard it is easy as hell to learn.

Faith    727
Just now, Major said:

I have heard it is easy as hell to learn.

It is when you get a tone to it. The locals used to sing it when you were on the bus to the safari or going to the village. They actually seemed happy or maybe cause I was smiling too much at the time.