Server time: 2017-08-18, 18:27

Sign in to follow this  
Stormyvill

Wrong usage of translator

Stormyvill    50
Posted (edited)

Greetings fellow surivors!

By this thread I would not only like to promote myself as a native Chernarussian and offer my help as a translator to anyone who needs it but also show people how bad can the translation be if not done properly.

I have encountered a lot of threads, groups and general chatter that tried to use Chernarussian via translator.  Believe me, I laugh, I laugh a lot.

Translations done by the google translate are most of the time in wrong format or create entire different meanings. 

Allow me to show you example of bad translation. 

Example:    

Dish can have two meanings. Radio dish or the dish you eat, in Czech we have 2 different words for each. Thus the translator will pick one, that might not be right. Not something you want eh ?

Now excuse my language

Another example is when you're calling someone a bitch. Google translate will tell you that "Bitch" = "Fena" and oh boy, that's really wrong.

"Fena" accually means ,in a very polite way, a female dog , not really a bitch now is it ? 

Some mistakes can of course be minor but still very triggering. 

If you happen to need a helping hand with translation, do not hesitate to PM me, as I will be very sad if I see more mistakes :(

People that can help you with translation

Stormyvill - Czech/Chernarussian

Majoo - Slovak

matusmanis - Slovak

Edited by Stormyvill

SmartyyZ    151
Posted (edited)

Hmm... i'v being using "fena" for awhile and i have Czech friends that have confirmed me that it means bitch..? :S

Edited by SmartyyZ

Stormyvill    50

I suppose your friends are not that good when it comes to Czech language. That is another reason why I created this thread.

SmartyyZ    151
Just now, Stormyvill said:

I suppose your friends are not that good when it comes to Czech language. That is another reason why I created this thread.

Its good to be known then... Cheers!

I like this thread!

I've roleplayed a chernarusian for a long time, and have been pretty scared when asked to speak chernarussian.  As a filthy westerner this is quite the challenge, I'm sure I'll be using this thread... Perhaps it would be better suited as a guide? Dunno.

Stormyvill    50

I have already created a Basic Chernarussian guide. I highly recommend checking it out as it can help out a lot.

Majoo    642

Good thread I dig it.

As someone who is "not that far from native Chernarussian" as you call yourself. :D 

I have never really bothered myself to help people in the community with the language myself publicly like you do, tho to those who know I "kinda" speak the language and ask me I always help.

Which brings me to the point of why i mention it now at all. If anyone needs help I should be able to help with the language as well so some certain as Czech and Slovakian aren't the same but I know Czech quite a bit. So I'll suggest going to @Stormyvill first heh

Either way...THIS I've been pointing out to multiple people using "fena" as bitch for ages now and they never trust me xD 

1 hour ago, Stormyvill said:

Another example is when you're calling someone a bitch. Google translate will tell you that "Bitch" = "Fena" and oh boy, that's really wrong.

"Fena" accually means ,in a very polite way, a female dog , not really a bitch now is it ? 

At least someone is here to agree. :) 

Sin    113

"Bitch" in English can also mean female dog.  Usually a breeder, and if you've ever tried to mess with a female dog with puppies, then you know the meaning of 'bitch'.

Of course, Americans also use the word 'bitch' in the same way that a Canadian would use 'whinge' to mean whining and complaining.

And then there's the whole, "Imma make you mah bitch" sense of the word, which curiously reverses the original sense of the word from 'an aggressively defensive and surly creature - DO NOT PROVOKE' to something more along the lines of 'a submissive chattel, more property than person', or anyone of inferior social standing.

Does 'suka' also carry these additional shades of meaning, dependent upon context?

Phoenix    1046

Sometimes you refer to someone as "you little bitch" to state that they're too scared to do something.

Jetwells    242

Welcome to the wonderful English language. Where we have 10 meanings for 1 word. But +1 on this Stormy, Good to see your not just helping us mere mortals out ;)

Stormyvill    50
1 hour ago, Sin said:

"Bitch" in English can also mean female dog.  Usually a breeder, and if you've ever tried to mess with a female dog with puppies, then you know the meaning of 'bitch'.

Of course, Americans also use the word 'bitch' in the same way that a Canadian would use 'whinge' to mean whining and complaining.

And then there's the whole, "Imma make you mah bitch" sense of the word, which curiously reverses the original sense of the word from 'an aggressively defensive and surly creature - DO NOT PROVOKE' to something more along the lines of 'a submissive chattel, more property than person', or anyone of inferior social standing.

Does 'suka' also carry these additional shades of meaning, dependent upon context?

Indeed, English as stated by Jetwells does have multiple meanings for just 1 word.

In Czech it is quite the opposite, that is why I want to clear things up for anyone who is not sure.

I'm not too sure about 'suka' as it is more of a Russian thing rather than Czech/Chernarussian.

Idole    176

In english language bitch is another term for female dog so fena could still be used to call someone a bitch. english for some reason have multiple meanings for one word which can get confusing.

I like this thread though to find out the correct way to speak the right words and you are right about google translate sometimes when I am trying to find out a correct translation to something and its giving you something completely  different.

Sin    113
2 hours ago, Stormyvill said:

Indeed, English as stated by Jetwells does have multiple meanings for just 1 word.

In Czech it is quite the opposite

Ah, thank you.  That was the bit I was missing.  So books like Alice in Wonderland and The Importance of Being Earnest would not translate into Czech.  Are double entendres impossible then?  Or am I over-generalizing, and you meant that in the case of this one word, 'fena', there is no double meaning?

Sincerely curious, I love languages, but have never studied Slavic branches in any depth.

Jm Von Cat    153

Hehe, I was wondering if someone might bring this up. 

Now I have a potentially interesting thread to lurk on. 

matusmanis    20

I would also like to offer my services for translation as i am slovakian and our languages are very similar with czech.

6 hours ago, Sin said:

Ah, thank you.  That was the bit I was missing.  So books like Alice in Wonderland and The Importance of Being Earnest would not translate into Czech.  Are double entendres impossible then?  Or am I over-generalizing, and you meant that in the case of this one word, 'fena', there is no double meaning?

Sincerely curious, I love languages, but have never studied Slavic branches in any depth.

Now to answer your question

It is prety common for words in czech to have multiple meaning. However there are also multiple words that mean the same or similar thing. Word "fena" however carries only one meaning of a female dog

7 hours ago, TheMatt924 said:

I've been using Hovno a lot.

If you have been using it as substitution for "shit" that may be correct.

However usualy in czech its used in diferent situations than in english.

For example "dont talk shit" is avalid thing in english however i doubt any czech would ever use "nebudeš mluvit hovno" which is an exact word to word translation. "Hovno" is however a valid response to someone aking claims you do not believe.

10 hours ago, Sin said:

"Suka" which you think is a word of rusian origin. In czech it also means female dog in most cases. It also carries the meaning of "bitch" in certain situation, however using it for this meaning feels more unnatural so i would avoid the word if you do not play as rusian or polish character

matusmanis    20
12 hours ago, Stormyvill said:

-snip-

Would you mind perhaps putting the names of us who offered to help with translations into first post?

Veľa z nich tie komentare neprecita a tak sa na nas zabudne :D

Stormyvill    50
1 hour ago, matusmanis said:

Veľa z nich tie komentare neprecita a tak sa na nas zabudne :D

Done, Good to see people offering help to others.

If you do have any questions about translation, post them in the comments or ask one of the people mentioned in the thread.

Giraffel    95

Very useful thread, expect a PM from me soon, Stormy.

DerSchnitzler    387

Doing god's work for Chernorussian nationalists. Good to know tho. I'll keep this in mind just in case I wanna go around telling everyone to GET AUT OF MAI KANTRI, AH?!

matusmanis    20
41 minutes ago, DerSchnitzler said:

Doing god's work for Chernorussian nationalists. Good to know tho. I'll keep this in mind just in case I wanna go around telling everyone to GET AUT OF MAI KANTRI, AH?!

Just in case you would want to

"Zmiz z mojí zemňe"