Server time: 2017-10-22, 17:26
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Laurence Taylor

DayZ on a Mac?

Question

Laurence Taylor    3

Probably a really stupid question but im looking to sell my gaming PC in the near future so that I can purchase a macbook pro. This will allow me to work on the go more freely, however I was curious as to how compatible these devices are with playing games and if they can run any/some at all? Obviously im going to be buying it knowing full well that gaming will not be a primary use however it would be nice to still play dayz now and then if its able to.

17 answers to this question

Lord Strawberry    292
Posted (edited)

Depending on the specs of the mac of course, but it should be able to run DayZ Standalone and most games out there. As long as you use a software that is called Boot Camp, that does it so you can change between OS and Windows.

I would recommend you doing a small bit of research on Boot Camp.

Heres some useful links;

How to download Boot Camp

What is Boot Camp / Wikipedia

I know for sure my Macbook Pro 13 can run DayZ Standalone.

Edited by Strawberry

Hunter    51
1 hour ago, Laurence Taylor said:

Probably a really stupid question but im looking to sell my gaming PC in the near future so that I can purchase a macbook pro. This will allow me to work on the go more freely, however I was curious as to how compatible these devices are with playing games and if they can run any/some at all? Obviously im going to be buying it knowing full well that gaming will not be a primary use however it would be nice to still play dayz now and then if its able to.

Why not consider getting a decent gaming laptop for the price you would be paying for the Macbook pro? I ain't hating at all at your decision or such, but I do know that they are expensive cause Apple, and you could probably get a decent windows based OS gaming laptop for the same price and not even have to worry.

The Buddha    24

I use a gaming laptop. I would highly recommend one of those over a macbook. To be honest, if they didn't have apple on them then they would be some of the cheapest computers out there. My friend has one.. I must say I have memory sticks with more space than his computer has. and I am sure my 1tb high quality laptop cost slightly less than his  macbook. I can't remember how much memory he has on his, but I had to give him a 32GB memory stick with a few movies and tv shows on it, cause his computer didn't have enough space to transfer the files over. 

Honestly, there are more viable options than a macbook. Save yourself some money and get a decent machine.

Rory    1590
1 hour ago, Laurence Taylor said:

Sometimes you gotta chose between gaming and working :D 
Keep the gaming laptop bud. Macbook will just give you troubles when gaming.

Laurence Taylor    3
2 hours ago, Strawberry said:

Depending on the specs of the mac of course, but it should be able to run DayZ Standalone and most games out there. As long as you use a software that is called Boot Camp, that does it so you can change between OS and Windows.

I would recommend you doing a small bit of research on Boot Camp.

Heres some useful links;

How to download Boot Camp

What is Boot Camp / Wikipedia

I know for sure my Macbook Pro 13 can run DayZ Standalone.

Thanks a lot, never heard of bootcamp before. I'll have a look :P

51 minutes ago, Hunter said:

Why not consider getting a decent gaming laptop for the price you would be paying for the Macbook pro? I ain't hating at all at your decision or such, but I do know that they are expensive cause Apple, and you could probably get a decent windows based OS gaming laptop for the same price and not even have to worry.

i completely agree with what your saying however the whole point is that im after something lightweight and easily transportable. Although im sure there are decent gamin laptops out there i don't think there are any with the form factor that im after (bar the razer blade but i cannot afford one). but thanks thought! 

26 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Keep the gaming laptop bud.

Its a desktop :(

33 minutes ago, The Buddha said:

Honestly, there are more viable options than a macbook. Save yourself some money and get a decent machine.

such as ;)

I'm considering doing the same thing. I would be wary of the 13inch models as they're all dual core machines and will likely struggle much more than the 15inch ones that also have the benefit of a dedicated GPU's. 

I first started playing here on a 2011 MacBook Pro using boot camp. Boot camp massively increases performance and allows you to play anything Windows based obviously. Playing games natively on OSX is horrific with the mouse acceleration. 

Interested to know what work you're doing primarily? I'm a video editor, used Premiere Pro, hated it and looking to move back to FCPX. I miss my Mac. 

Laurence Taylor    3
20 minutes ago, BigLittleShōrts said:

I'm considering doing the same thing. I would be wary of the 13inch models as they're all dual core machines and will likely struggle much more than the 15inch ones that also have the benefit of a dedicated GPU's. 

I first started playing here on a 2011 MacBook Pro using boot camp. Boot camp massively increases performance and allows you to play anything Windows based obviously. Playing games natively on OSX is horrific with the mouse acceleration. 

Interested to know what work you're doing primarily? I'm a video editor, used Premiere Pro, hated it and looking to move back to FCPX. I miss my Mac. 

Thanks for the heads up with the 13inch processors, I had no idea about that.

Work wise Im in the RAF and i do a lot of travelling and so can't take my PC with me especially when im away for long stretches but I'm also getting into forex trading and although I can do it on my phone I'd love a nice shinny Macbook to do it on haha! 

The Buddha    24
2 hours ago, Laurence Taylor said:

such as ;)

Anything without an apple logo on it.

Laurence Taylor    3
Just now, The Buddha said:

Anything without an apple logo on it.

that's not really true is it, im not going ot go out and buy an toshiba satellite lol 

Monday    125
56 minutes ago, Laurence Taylor said:

that's not really true is it, im not going ot go out and buy an toshiba satellite lol 

Probably would be easier to game on than a mac.

Laurence Taylor    3
2 hours ago, King said:

Probably would be easier to game on than a mac.

tbh i wasn't actually asking people opinions i was just asking if it was mechanically, physically and software wise doable.

Monday    125
14 minutes ago, Laurence Taylor said:

tbh i wasn't actually asking people opinions i was just asking if it was mechanically, physically and software wise doable.

Yep fair enough.

It does depend on the model of your mac, but the basic model should 'run' the game. Just don't get your hopes up. Even with boot camp and/or compatibility software, I doubt you will get any more than a maximum of 40 frames. That being said, you could always sell your mac and get a top notch gaming pc/laptop. ^_^

Hunter    51
Posted (edited)

I really thing you should do some more research Laurence and look more into Windows based gaming laptops. There are plenty of small ones out there that don't need to have the Razer brand too. Could you by any chance tell me the budget you have? I'd imagine it would be about $1000 atleast since its a macbook pro. If thats the case, here is a link to 15.6 inch gaming laptops, and as you can see they are withing a very reasonable price range.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167732 4814 600553908 601211658&cm_sp=CAT_Gaming-Laptops_2-_-VisNav-_-15.6-Inch

Not small enough? Here is 14 to 14.5

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167732 4814 600553907&cm_sp=CAT_Gaming-Laptops_2-_-VisNav-_-15.6-Inch

Are you wanting the laptop that will not take up all 12 spaces of the child backpack?! I give you 1 foot to 13.9 inches.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167732 4814 600553906&cm_sp=CAT_Gaming-Laptops_2-_-VisNav-_-15.6-Inch

JUST A HEADS UP! The 15 inch ones are gonna be the best bang for your buck! Here is the reason: All the gtx 10 series laptops, or at least most of them, ARE ACTUAL GPU's. Not the little weaker mobile versions. No, they are desktop gpus, packed into a laptop, but they ain't bulky or anything. 

Edited by Hunter

17 hours ago, Laurence Taylor said:

Thanks for the heads up with the 13inch processors, I had no idea about that.

Work wise Im in the RAF and i do a lot of travelling and so can't take my PC with me especially when im away for long stretches but I'm also getting into forex trading and although I can do it on my phone I'd love a nice shinny Macbook to do it on haha! 

Using a MacBook and OSX is just a much nicer experience. Just day to day use of a MacBook feels better than the gaming laptop options that have been linked. Especially the trackpad, by god MacBook trackpads are the best. The portability and sleekness of a MacBook is almost unmatched in the Windows space too. 

Obviously the Windows route is far cheaper and will yield higher performance in games but on the 15inch models of Mac, you can do a decent amount of gaming, it's just not going to look as fancy. DayZ is just an unreliable game to actually use as a yard stick given it's in alpha and constantly changing. I would avoid Aorus laptop in particular, got one myself, massive regret. It has all the bells and whistles, quad core i7, GTX 1070, 32GB of RAM, fast SSD's and it's also very thin but I wish I had bought a 15inch MacBook Pro instead and built a PC system for home. 

Laurence Taylor    3
5 hours ago, Hunter said:

I really thing you should do some more research Laurence and look more into Windows based gaming laptops. There are plenty of small ones out there that don't need to have the Razer brand too. Could you by any chance tell me the budget you have? I'd imagine it would be about $1000 atleast since its a macbook pro. If thats the case, here is a link to 15.6 inch gaming laptops, and as you can see they are withing a very reasonable price range.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167732 4814 600553908 601211658&cm_sp=CAT_Gaming-Laptops_2-_-VisNav-_-15.6-Inch

Not small enough? Here is 14 to 14.5

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167732 4814 600553907&cm_sp=CAT_Gaming-Laptops_2-_-VisNav-_-15.6-Inch

Are you wanting the laptop that will not take up all 12 spaces of the child backpack?! I give you 1 foot to 13.9 inches.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167732 4814 600553906&cm_sp=CAT_Gaming-Laptops_2-_-VisNav-_-15.6-Inch

JUST A HEADS UP! The 15 inch ones are gonna be the best bang for your buck! Here is the reason: All the gtx 10 series laptops, or at least most of them, ARE ACTUAL GPU's. Not the little weaker mobile versions. No, they are desktop gpus, packed into a laptop, but they ain't bulky or anything. 

thank you for putting the time in to reply post this information. I appreciate it.

One major factor is that newegg is very largely concentrated on the US/Canada market and therefore the product range they sell in the UK/Europe is significantly smaller. Almost All of the laptops you linked to are not available on the UK website unfortunately. 

Although i agree that you get a better bang for your buck when purchasing a windows gaming laptop the whole point is that im selling my gaming PC and buying a mac for the form factor and ease of use. I was merely asking whether if i decided to give it a go that gaming would be possible. Don't get me wrong i've not completely disregarded the option for a windows based laptop however at this point I can't find anything that appeals to my requirements. 

My budget will probably be £1000 and im open to purchasing refurbed/pre owned (if in good condition)

thanks again! 

14 minutes ago, BigLittleShōrts said:

Using a MacBook and OSX is just a much nicer experience.

The portability and sleekness of a MacBook is almost unmatched in the Windows space too. 

Obviously the Windows route is far cheaper and will yield higher performance.

I've never had the pleasure of owning a mac laptop before but i've had a go on them and they just seem so user friendly and worry free, the portability and light-weight is one of the biggest factors that lean me towards going the mac route however the price is probably the main drawback. 

thanks for sharing your opinion M8 

Lord Strawberry    292
Posted (edited)

Hello, @Laurence Taylor

I can see you have gotten a lot of answers and solutions to your question. Therefore I am wondering if you feel happy with the answers you have gotten. If you are, could you please tick the answer that you felt was the most helpful. If you don't know how to do it, here is a guide to help you:

Edited by Strawberry

Hunter    51

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Tracer-II-MK100-Gaming-Laptop

Found this one right here. Under your budget by a bit, AND is a UK based dealer. Only 15.6 inch screen to which is a nice balance! Plus you can customize a few things in the list below (Make it 16GB of ram instead of 8, more hard drive space, etc, with the money you save from initial pricing!) Pretty decent, will def allow you to play pc games no question, and is compact enough I'd imagine to fit to your liking (assumed since you liked the advice given to you regarding the different performances between the 2 screen sizes of the apple based ones)