Server time: 2017-11-18, 06:33

Sign in to follow this  
Iso

Interview With a Community Member: Sin

InterviewCommunityMember.jpg

This week we've interviewed @Sin, a community member with a seasoned perspective on this community. The interview with a community member is designed to promote understanding through a series of questions to demonstrate individual perspectives.

~ Tell us something unique about yourself -

Spoiler

I’m actually a total gearwhore.  Yeah, I know, not unique, but I’ll bet you wouldn’t have guessed.
Also, I’m a bit of an troll.

~ Which section in the forums are you most interested in and why? -

Spoiler

Used to be the reports section, back when anyone could comment.  I loved debating interpretation of the rules and community standards.  Of course it makes sense to disallow comments from people who weren’t involved in the action and makes the reports easier to solve, but I do miss the discussion.  So yeah, these days it’d be General Discussion and Questions.

~ How did you find out about DayZRP? -

Spoiler

Had never heard of RP based gaming communities, nor had I been much of a multiplayer gamer, but DayZ was the perfect game concept for me, so I started searching for a place where it wasn’t played like CoD.  Found an article talking about an un-named Swedish server where people acted like people, and acted as though they valued their character’s life.  Did a little digging and found a new home.

~ Have you made any friends during your time in this community? -

Spoiler

Far too many to begin to list.  Hell, even a good share of my enemies are friends now.

~ What do you feel is missing from our community? -

Spoiler

Sex.  There needs to be lots more sex.  More irl meetups and lots, lots more sex.

~ What are some of your most memorable DayZRP experiences, both IC and OOC? -

Spoiler

Flying with Jamie, Fighting SDS with RF on Krutoy Cap with Skippy (and getting a shiny new KSVK in the deal), drunk driving while on duty as Cherno Police, spawning hordes of zombies to assault Desal, rabbitting with Khardia, dogging with dozens of other people, hitching a ride with Zoarial, “chubby cunt”, getting kidnapped by Meekia and then gifted a bicycle, CLF selling SDS a motorcycle, killing and getting killed by Khardia constantly, unlikely friendships with strange bedfellows, climbing the staff ladder, solving ALL the reports, having a rivalry with Caesar, getting to know the many faces of Terra, defending Haven and Ravens Nest, and fishing.  I could list more, but fishing was pretty much the peak.

~ Do you have a video of your favourite roleplay moment you would like to share with us? -

Spoiler

I don’t think it’s online anymore, but the original Chernorussian Roulette video was pretty fun.  [Edit] – oh wait no, here it is.  Thank you, Winslow:  https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/20458-unreasonable-demands-trigger-happy/?do=findComment&comment=262304

~ Do you have a video of your favourite funny moment in game you would like to share with us? -

Spoiler

Again, not online, but it involves TOR’s best pilot failing a helicopter stunt

~ If you could meet one roleplay character you have met in game in real life, who would it be and why?

Spoiler

Elissa’s doctor character.  No wait, her friend (whose name escapes me) who was played by ktburr.  They were an odd couple, but ktburr’s character was easily the more interesting of the two.  Though maybe not the healthiest choice for a traveling companion ….

~ In your opinion, what are the best and worst parts of our community? -

Spoiler

The forums

~ Is there anything you regret IC or OOC that has happened since you have joined DayZRP (if yes, what and why?) -

Spoiler

I regret the whole Mike Golf thing.  The way I handled it in the end.  He made it personal, got under my skin.  He and his gang lied bald faced to Thumper and I and we knew it, just couldn’t prove it.  The moment we had proof, we went in full bore.  We should have taken a more measured approach and gathered more solid evidence.  A lot of innocents … well, that is to say, relative innocents ;)got caught up in the crossfire and were unjustly banned.  Eventually I think we sorted things out, but there’s no question Thumper and I acted too hastily.  Aside from that, every other thing I did as a member of staff was exactly correct and fully justified.

~ What advice would you give to new members joining our community? -

Spoiler

Keep your head down and lurk the forums until you get a feel for the culture and who the big dogs are.  The community has a long memory, and if you embarrass yourself early on, it’s hard to recover.

~ What do you think we, as community members, can do to make the community a better place? -

Spoiler

There’s not enough attention paid to new girl gamers who join the community.  I mean, they’re rare enough as it is, and it’s not as if DayZ is the most attractive game in the world to girls, so when one comes along, I think we all need to drop what we’re doing and comment in their introductory thread.  Also, everyone who’s able should offer to arrange in-game meet-ups with the new girls to show them the ropes.  There’s really nothing more welcoming than having dozens of eager protectors offering ammunition, advice, and friendly conversation, am I right?  Just one thing though, guys; try to keep the proposals for marriage to an absolute minimum – after all, girls take forever making up their minds, and with so many eligible bachelors to choose from, well, you can’t expect too much (besides, being too pushy might ruin your chances).

~ What made you want to join staff and has your time in staff changed that motivation or your perspectives on the community? -

Spoiler

Probably Tomeran.  Yeah, he definitely planted the seed.  I really looked up to Goz and Sum0s as well.  I’m a Libra (as if), so I’m naturally inclined toward making judgements, so GMing seemed like a dream gig to me.  Seeing the works behind the curtain obviously changed my perspective, but not my perceptions of the community.  If anything, I developed more respect for the way things are run and the people who give so much of themselves to keep it running.

~ If you had to choose someone else’s character to be in game, who would it be and why? -

Spoiler

It would have to be one of Mercy’s characters, probably his original CTC character (whose name escapes me at the moment).  He struck me as self-assured enough to be confident in stressful situations and magnanimous, even generous if the whim struck, but he was also cagey, intelligent, and remarkably dangerous when he had to be.  He and his gang suffered their share of setbacks, but seemed like they always came out ahead, so they tended to have a relatively care-free attitude, even if they knew they had to work hard sometimes to keep it.

~ Who or what would you say was the biggest influence on your role-play? -

Spoiler

Definitely Elissa.  She was serious about role-play in ways that few people here are.  What was most remarkable was her discipline – she never allowed OOC knowledge to affect her toon’s IC decisions, even if they led to detrimental results.  It even applied to daily conversation – how she was able to keep everything that she knew vs. what her character knew straight is more than I’m able to understand.  She taught by example, not intending to, but just by being and doing.  So many small lessons.
Oh, and Rampage deserves an honorable mention as well, along with Sweet Joe and Staggs.  They really got into the deep psychological stuff more than anyone I’ve ever seen.

~ Do you think any questions could be added to the interview formula and, if so, what and why? -

Spoiler

How about, “What are you wearing right now?”

~ If you could choose one person to KOS and bullshit the logs to make it look like someone else did it, who would you KOS? Who would you blame it on?

Spoiler

Can’t really think of anyone, I’m not much of a grudge holder.  No wait … I’d like to KOS Maverick.  But instead of faking the logs, I’d post them in my sig:
Sin killed Maverick from 2,483 meters with the Lapua

What’s that, logs don’t include range anymore?  Alright, I’d fake the logs then.

Thanks for the interview Sin, I laughed a few times while reading this ^_^ 

1 minute ago, Elmo said:

Sex.  There needs to be lots more sex.  More irl meetups and lots, lots more sex.

I loved your interview! This was one of the funnier i read. Looking at the quote above, I think its more of a you problem than a community problem. I know some girls if you ever need help, hell, I can help too B|

I liked this interview, not so very serious, but very fun.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elmo said:

~ What do you feel is missing from our community? -

Hide contents

~ What do you think we, as community members, can do to make the community a better place? -

Hide contents

There’s not enough attention paid to new girl gamers who join the community.  I mean, they’re rare enough as it is, and it’s not as if DayZ is the most attractive game in the world to girls, so when one comes along, I think we all need to drop what we’re doing and comment in their introductory thread.  Also, everyone who’s able should offer to arrange in-game meet-ups with the new girls to show them the ropes.  There’s really nothing more welcoming than having dozens of eager protectors offering ammunition, advice, and friendly conversation, am I right?  Just one thing though, guys; try to keep the proposals for marriage to an absolute minimum – after all, girls take forever making up their minds, and with so many eligible bachelors to choose from, well, you can’t expect too much (besides, being too pushy might ruin your chances).

@Sin Real talk bro I hope you're joking.... if you're not then... You need to check yourself... You sound like one creepy ass whiteknight bro....

If the staff team thinks this is flaming, point me. Honestly like, if you can't tell if this reply is serious or not then... Well... 

Yano what now that i look at it... It's gotta be a joke, lmao. 

Edited by Beni

"There’s not enough attention paid to new girl gamers who join the community.  I mean, they’re rare enough as it is, and it’s not as if DayZ is the most attractive game in the world to girls, so when one comes along, I think we all need to drop what we’re doing and comment in their introductory thread.  Also, everyone who’s able should offer to arrange in-game meet-ups with the new girls to show them the ropes.  There’s really nothing more welcoming than having dozens of eager protectors offering ammunition, advice, and friendly conversation, am I right?  Just one thing though, guys; try to keep the proposals for marriage to an absolute minimum – after all, girls take forever making up their minds, and with so many eligible bachelors to choose from, well, you can’t expect too much (besides, being too pushy might ruin your chances)."

Are you ok? This is absolutely stupid as many girl gamers in this community are constantly being juiced and being bought donor ranks. If you ask me there is too much attention to new girls in this community

19 minutes ago, Beni said:

@Sin ... You sound like one creepy ass whiteknight bro....

Honestly like, if you can't tell if this reply is serious or not then... Well...

That's pretty much the reaction I was going for.  I have an unusual sense of humour.

When I finished writing that one, I wasn't sure if it pinned the needle on the irony detector as much as intended, so I test drove it on my wife and daughter.  They both thought it was hilarious.

54 minutes ago, Sin said:

That's pretty much the reaction I was going for.  I have an unusual sense of humour.

When I finished writing that one, I wasn't sure if it pinned the needle on the irony detector as much as intended, so I test drove it on my wife and daughter.  They both thought it was hilarious.

Oh thank the fucking lord.

You made look so real man..

Nice job. 

What a legend. I really enjoyed that interview, what a nostalgia trip :D

Nice interview had a little giggle here and there. Thanks :)

Nice interview dude. Its good to still have people retelling old mod stories, we are a dying breed us old timers. Also its about time you got a legend rank. Now Papa and Khardia need one.

Great interview Sin. Good memories from those mod days.

That was a great interview, well done gave me a right giggle especially about whiteknights.

Thanks for the entertaining interview. 

Hey, I remember you, when you told me chronic was only used as slang by inner black culture and New Zealanders. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fackmos said:

Hey, I remember you, when you told me chronic was only used as slang by inner black culture and New Zealanders. 

I do tend to exaggerate sometimes.  When I'm not understating.  Hyperbole is good for making points.  Sometimes.

And thanks @Rolle for the rank!  Now I don't have to feel jealous of @Caesar anymore.

Edited by Sin
grammar

Excellent and entertaining interview.

Oh @Sin <3 I missed you! ... and what do you mean "The many faces of Terra"... #confused

Well, let's see, there was the Tante Terror (did I spell that right) who showed up with that YouTuber, who I liked at first, but grew to hate; and then the Terra who got kidnapped by SDS but managed to turn what could have been a messy situation into an all-night party; and then there was the seemingly timid nurse who I met running with Mercy, who turned out to be hard as nails when threatened on Klen mountain; there was the Terra of her early staff days, who lacked confidence, but who grew into the confident, unassuming, take-no-shit-from-anyone and tell-it-like-it-is Admin; there was the glorious and sexy Valkyrie; Major Tom's hardass lieutenant; and several more fiery ladies who I regretfully never had the chance to meet, but heard stories about.  Oh, and the logs.  My god, the logs. 

tumblr_nb8uq28gvt1tjpaueo1_500.gif

14 hours ago, Sin said:

Well, let's see, there was the Tante Terror (did I spell that right) who showed up with that YouTuber, who I liked at first, but grew to hate; and then the Terra who got kidnapped by SDS but managed to turn what could have been a messy situation into an all-night party; and then there was the seemingly timid nurse who I met running with Mercy, who turned out to be hard as nails when threatened on Klen mountain; there was the Terra of her early staff days, who lacked confidence, but who grew into the confident, unassuming, take-no-shit-from-anyone and tell-it-like-it-is Admin; there was the glorious and sexy Valkyrie; Major Tom's hardass lieutenant; and several more fiery ladies who I regretfully never had the chance to meet, but heard stories about.  Oh, and the logs.  My god, the logs. 

tumblr_nb8uq28gvt1tjpaueo1_500.gif

Dont tell anyone about the logs!

I Check the forums time to time, haven't clicked on a thread so fast since the days of flaming clans after firefights.

Glad to see you again Sin, nice interview! 

On 2017-07-02 at 11:42 AM, Nihoolious said:

Nice interview dude. Its good to still have people retelling old mod stories, we are a dying breed us old timers. Also its about time you got a legend rank. Now Papa and Khardia need one.

I've been idling the forums since this post... No interview requests... :(

I feel bad, I was invited to do an interview in the spring, and halfway through answering the questions I realized how completely out of touch I was with community happenings that I never finished filling it out.  

Figured that 'no' interview was better than the crap one that I was about to turn in, lol.

37 minutes ago, Chris said:

I feel bad, I was invited to do an interview in the spring, and halfway through answering the questions I realized how completely out of touch I was with community happenings that I never finished filling it out.  

Figured that 'no' interview was better than the crap one that I was about to turn in, lol.

Hey Chris,

If you still want to finish the interview, I'd be happy to post it!

4 hours ago, Papa Emeritus II said:

I've been idling the forums since this post... No interview requests... :(

I'm going to get this thing back on track.

Although I never played on RP servers during the mod times, those stories do make me miss it, Funny interview man!

Thanks for not banning me that one time