Server time: 2017-08-24, 08:54

Sign in to follow this  
Abu Muhammad

Why does everybody RP Master Chief?

Abu Muhammad    90

It's been a long running gag that new people to the community go full super soldier with full military kit with an M4 in their hand and a SVD on their back. But nobody asks why people do this, they know they can't KoS or just pop people and they don't need those guns to rob people because they are already fully kitted, and since they are new to the community they don't have bad blood with anybody they would want to torture. I really don't like it when I stroll into town and all I see is what appears to be the DayZ equivalent of Spartan Ops as people with 150+ lbs of gear on their back sprint cross country. It ruins the A E S T H E T I C S

A lot of people did that at the start, myself included. You kinda treat it like normal DayZ at first then you realize how retarded you looked and acted.

PCJames    167

I for the longest time did this myself. I believe new players do it hecause they want the 'best' gear in the game. And nine times our of ten that's the military gear. They do this stuff so they be a better 'survivor' but like ProxJack said, sooner or later they mature.  

Elmo    923

We have a young enough player base that practically grew up on war games, its not a surprise people would role-play soldiers. Soldiers, by the very definition of their job, are cool to young people.

Skinner    440

I think a lot of people have played Dayz for a long time but have never been in an RP community before, so all of a sudden they have every item in the game available to them as long as they can explore and find it. In normal dayz you're dead just crossing an open field, or jogging down the road, or killing zombies and you get sniped, so people come here and realize they can gear up without being KOS'd, they go to all the military bases that were too dangerous to explore on public servers, next thing they know they're dressed head to toe in military gear with military grade weaponry and more shit in their inventory than they know what to do with.

After that, they get initiated on and get robbed and next thing you know they hate hostile RPers because they took their precious gear and they decide either they're going to try being a hostile rper (and they suck at it and give hostilerp a bad name) or they vow to stay far away from hostileRP and become a "campfire rper" and slowly start to learn who the hostile RPers are OOC and begin to dislike them. 

But hey what would I know?

Elmo    923
13 minutes ago, TheMatt924 said:

I think a lot of people have played Dayz for a long time but have never been in an RP community before, so all of a sudden they have every item in the game available to them as long as they can explore and find it.

I would agree but for the fact that we seem to have a lot of soldier stories emerging before they've even entered the server ^_^ 

Yeah it just comes from pub experience to grab the best shit 

New players = pub players (For the most part)

evanm23    294

Yup, this was me at one point. A 17 year old sniper with 30 confirmed kills (Cringe).

Ive learned to think how stupid and idiotic this looks.

then again, i thought "MILITARY CHARACTER, MILITARY EQUIPMENT."

so.

It's fine really. What do you like the most? Edgy bandits, or super-soldiers? Honestly, I'd stick with the super-soldiers.

Give them some time to adapt, and eventually, they'll be fine on their own :D

AlwaysGamer    25
5 hours ago, Elmo said:

I would agree but for the fact that we seem to have a lot of soldier stories emerging before they've even entered the server ^_^ 

The thing about the Soldier backstory can go either way. If took the right way, it can make some interesting RP without RPing as a Super Soldier. My current character, Philipe Pinksen, is a good exemple. He was in the army before and during the outbreak BUT, he is NOT a Super Soldier. Yes he knows more about guns and fight than civilians but he is not geared out with Military gear.

But if it goes the bad way, you end up with the Super Soldier that can resist any pain and torture and doesn't care about their safety cause the player think they cant be killed.

Elmo    923
Just now, AlwaysGamer said:

-snip-

Preaching to the choir here, I role-play a CDF soldier from time to time, was my main for a few months until I switched back to my regular. I understand it can be entertaining and I wasn't knocking soldier role-play, just commenting on why I think members of our community may wish to role-play as them.

AlwaysGamer    25
Just now, Elmo said:

-snip-

Oh I understand your opinion I was just giving an example to show that a Military character isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Glitch    15
Posted (edited)

Everything else everyone else said ^ and,

I feel the logical choice is to gear up as much as possible BUT because this is DayZ and not real life there are limitations and some things just become repetitive and ridiculous.

I think it's logical some players loot up a lot but it would be even more logical to store some of it somewhere instead of carrying +150lbs with you at all times. Not saying we need a 60 player server with fully kitted military characters just saying the occasional soldier is okay if it's not taken to an extreme.

Edited by Glitch

Species    246

Just wait till he Lore Wipe, everyone will be playing Navy Seals/Spetsnaz characters.

melon21    12
6 minutes ago, Species said:

Just wait till he Lore Wipe, everyone will be playing Navy Seals/Spetsnaz characters.

>inb4 that's all of the PAU

Nihoolious    1122

Role playing is usually people portraying a character different from themselves. A lot of soldiers actually aren't real soldiers irl so they pretend to be one. Or they just like military gear. 

Shadows    1020
2 minutes ago, melon21 said:

>inb4 that's all of the PAU

Well, considering PAU is a Ukrainian military group (as the name People's Army of Ukraine suggests) and Navy Seals are an American-based military group, I do not believe that PAU will be roleplaying as Navy Seals. Now, Ukraine does refer to their special forces as Spetsnaz so that could be possible however, I do not believe PAU will exist after the lorewipe because new lore, new groups, and PAU exists in this lore and many people are attempting something different from this lore to the next. 

I believe we can call this...

Image result for mythbusted

I think this is a very good point that you are making. personally I believe there is way to much focus on military gear. I would like to see more every day items in the game and less military stuff.

Pussy    312
Posted (edited)

I have seen people running around in full military gear with the backstory that they used to be a quaint farmer before the apocalypse. In most of those cases, it's just something that people need to train themselves not to do once they get used to RP servers instead of public ones. They'll get there, eventually. I mean, fuck, for the first week of RP, I ran around with one of those "dresses" with no pants on. Doesn't get more pub mentality than that. 

Edited by Kattica

Chief    598

The only person who can RP master chief is me :) kek

But none the less this is a problem that will forever plague the server might as well deal with it.

Jm Von Cat    154

Defiantly not "Everyone" or even a majority do this.. and as has been stated above its just a phase many go through when transitioning from Pubs to RP.

Samaritan    258

It's because people love those shiny new best gears in it bruv!

To be honest, you are almost three years into a zombie apocalypse so it stands to reason that people whom are still alive would be experienced battle hardened bad assess and tooled up with the best gear. This is why I'm looked forward to the lore wipe, I haven't been in game for ages mainly due to the RP going a bit same-o same-o for the most part. The lore wipe should produce some new RP situations and fresh out look on the game itself. Well as long as people RP as if it is the start of an apocalypse rather than getting into the same routine. Finger crossed eh?

Melvin    84
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, TheMatt924 said:

I think a lot of people have played Dayz for a long time but have never been in an RP community before, so all of a sudden they have every item in the game available to them as long as they can explore and find it. In normal dayz you're dead just crossing an open field, or jogging down the road, or killing zombies and you get sniped, so people come here and realize they can gear up without being KOS'd, they go to all the military bases that were too dangerous to explore on public servers, next thing they know they're dressed head to toe in military gear with military grade weaponry and more shit in their inventory than they know what to do with.

After that, they get initiated on and get robbed and next thing you know they hate hostile RPers because they took their precious gear and they decide either they're going to try being a hostile rper (and they suck at it and give hostilerp a bad name) or they vow to stay far away from hostileRP and become a "campfire rper" and slowly start to learn who the hostile RPers are OOC and begin to dislike them. 

But hey what would I know?

this is actually very true

i know because i was a disgusting gear roleplayer and i would combat log to keep my precious fully kitted m4. i also used to get a car and find heli crashes like a magpie before i realised i could just join up with other bandits and rob people of their gear. thing is we werent shit roleplayers and actually made our hostages enjoy the robbery

Edited by Melvin

Idole    180

I know when I first started I used to gear up like crazy and used to get upset when I got taken hostage or killed but as time went on you learn more.

It's a phase most will learn the hard way but in my opinion lessons learned the hard way stay fresh in your mind. I know I have tried to warn some but it goes through one ear and out the other.

That doesn't mean I don't like the shining toys but I don't go out of my way to get fully kitted out.  2 things is enough for me which mainly consists of the gun.